main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Ignorance is Bias: The Diversity Manifesto

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Sep 2, 2012.

1. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    I have no problem with the image itself. It's quite beautiful.

The admins who did this prank fail to realize why it was offensive. First, it wasn't funny. Second, it was immature. Third, the "jokes" alienated at least one half of Star Wars fans. Fourth, it proves the stereotype of geek guys not giving a crap about women's feelings and wanting us to get back in the kitchen, so to speak.

I saw that and thought why do I even bother with this fandom. How many straight white men have been made to feel that way because people were being exclusionary toward them? Probably not many. (If you have, I am very sorry. It really sucks.) I've liked Star Wars for 22 years. I run a podcast and blog. I've written fanfic. I've attended cons. I've been on panels. Why do some people insist I don't belong? Why should ANYONE feel that way as a result of someone else in the fandom?

2. Darth_Culator

Darth_Culator Jedi Master star 2

Dec 10, 2005
    I am who I am, I make no apologies for it. I'll do what needs to be done, even if I have to destroy the village in order to save it.

GGrievous likes this.
  3. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Something I really don't understand is how Americans seems to believe that children need to be protected from female nipples. It is not like they spend the first 6-24 months of there life with there mouth around one at every opportunity they get

darth fluffy, Goodwood and CooperTFN like this.
  4. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    "If you were a fictional character you would be Ramona Flowers."

I don't even know who that is and already it's the best pickup line I've ever heard.

CooperTFN likes this.
  5. Erik_B

Erik_B Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 11, 2014

The basement dwelling manchildren who only hang out with the other nerds because no one else will have them?

You have no idea. Lots of guys picked last in football, yknow?

I mean, these are guys who, according to discussions like this one, are not even classy enough to make it at a science fiction convention.

6. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    my bold
    :eek:

you need to go watch this movie immediately
    [​IMG]

Or buy the comic it is based on

7. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Speaking for myself, the issue isn't having a Wookieepedia article on breasts or any body part, really. I maintain that they do have biological and social value with what's been established in the universe. The issue is that, no sooner than a battle was fought and won to get to display the Aayla portrait under the premise of an artistic nude in order to adequately illustrate the article's subject...a portion of the community, however small, turned right around and used the image, article, and accompanying quotes to make an incredibly juvenile series of crass boob jokes that were not only in poor taste, but offended more than it seems to have amused.

8. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I want to make it clear again:

I don't want to remove that article. I want to keep the article. There is nothing wrong with having the article!

However, the article could stand to see some improvement. I would like to see it be improved. Not removed, not censored, not anything like that. IMPROVED.

I feel it would benefit from having supplementary information in the BTS and the overall tone and organization needs cleaned up. I will work on cleaning up that article for the sake of keeping it, because I feel it has a place and can be informative.

The article is not the problem. The image is not the problem. They are not the problem. I hope I have finally made that clear.

Contessa, jcgoble3, Goodwood and 2 others like this.
  9. patchworkz7

patchworkz7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2004

I admire your dedication, but fetch isn't going to happen.

Trip and _Catherine_ like this.
  10. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Also, technically, only one guy gets picked last.

11. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    [face_laugh] I'm not sure that even you know what you're talking about at this point. Thanks for stopping by!

Edit: And just to prove my original point... Club Jade is back on the list, because:

"You did NOT have authority to remove the link, DC. Reverted."

12. Erik_B

Erik_B Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 11, 2014

Thanks to the internet and science fiction conventions, all the guys who get picked last can come together and bond over how much they hate everyone else.

And their shared love of looking at pictures of redheads in catsuits.

13. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I've heard a handful of people who dislike it, but I tend to agree with you on it. There is a place for artistic nudity, and I'd like to think SW could be mature enough to handle that. Visions itself was a great repository for really good art, and I think SW has had a renaissance with good art -- FFG, the Essential Guides, Visions, etc. I would want LFL to commission art that was creative, interesting, and out of the usual SW mold, and artistic nude -- so long as it was respectful and elegant in the high art sense -- is one of them.

But out of curiosity, what do you think of the article independently of the way it was used during AFD?

As I've said, I personally find the article itself problematic and immature either way, and I think that the usage of the Aayla thing just underscores that. It reminds me of, like, grade school kids cutting out pictures of Michaelangelo's David from their textbook and belong like "lol penis" all the time -- the art itself isn't the problem, but the way it's being misused is the problem. Banning that textbook wouldn't have solved the problem.

edit:

I respect the position outlined by you, Trak, jSarek etc that such a thing is theoretically possible. I'm just not seeing how, I guess. Or the great need for it -- it's rescuing something that may not be worth rescuing?

Why not mention them where they make sense in context? Like Yarna's species, or whatnot?

For example: there's no article on gills, but gills could be discussed in an article about Mon Cals.

Like, I understand that you guys are highlighting just how bad the AFD thing was by saying "we're not trying to get rid of the whole thing, just be mature about it" but I guess I'm not seeing it as redeemable. Given its history, the likely reason it was created at all, etc., why continue to legitimate it?

Lane_Winree, Revanfan1 and CooperTFN like this.
  14. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    I'll watch anything starring Jesse Eisenberg, I loved him in that Facebook movie.

15. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004

By itself, I'd probably roll my eyes and say, "Typical." It's pointless and I don't see why it deserves an article, but I wouldn't make a stink about it. (I do, however, question why there's no penis article when Xizor's package is prominently displayed in Shadows of the Empire. I would imagine it's because the word is not explicitly mentioned, but come on, we all know the real reason.)

The AFD article is what really made me angry, and proves the point of why the article really isn't necessary.[/quote]

16. patchworkz7

patchworkz7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2004

Are you sure you're not confusing a chan with a convention?

And this isn't scientific...but I'm pretty sure more people than just nerds (male or female) want to sex up ScarJo in a catsuit.

blackmyron and jSarek like this.
  17. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    This is what the Internet is for: exploring ourselves and our desires, in an environment where one can be anonymous and, thus, not be ridiculed. Well, this is what it should be for.

But then I remember the Greater Internet Dickwad Theory.

18. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    The Wook's April Fools Day Jokes have become nothing short of ****shows the last few years. In the past, the joke-of-the-day would always be limited to something cute on the Main Page (like "Katarnapedia," replacing all the text with Aurebesh, etc) and a few other minor things, all of which were set up or approved by administrators. In 2012 the joke was "Fanon is now allowed on Wookieepedia," which opened the door to anyone and everyone editing whatever page they wanted for the sake of adding anything they thought was funny. That opened a door that shouldn't have been opened, and now every April 1st brings a swarm of users making non-admin/community-approved edits to whatever pages they want. Certain pages get slandered every year by childish and overzealous users, and the site descends into a playground for those with the maturity level of seven-year-olds.

Sorry, had to rant. Probably not productive to the discussion, but I figured some historical context on how April Fools Day has degenerated into something with zero oversight might be helpful. Keep in mind that I'm absolutely NOT providing it as an excuse. The site needs to reel in some of its users and habits, but I have little faith that it will.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  19. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    So there's a new breast vote going on. Note that anyone can add their thoughts but you have to be a currently-active user per their vote-farming policy for your vote to count.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  20. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    See, I assume the theory is always in place. Go to any news article, YouTube video or other publicly accessible forum and scroll to the comments. Things like the mindset behind the Wook Fool's Day fiasco are the rule by and large, it's hardly a unique phenomenon. Assuming the worst makes the few bastions of sanity (like this forum and this thread in particular) that much more refreshing.

21. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    De jure? Be a member in good standing with a sufficient number of edits, create a Trash Compactor thread for the article with compelling arguments for the article's merging or deletion, and then reach a consensus to merge or delete.

De facto? Send ninjas to kill all the admins and a good chunk of the power users, or destroy Wikia's servers.

That's my read, as well. I had no hand in it, but that whole response is pretty much the tack I would have taken had I been responsible for trying to clean this mess up.

They probably don't need to know the definition, but there's a lot to be said for how our earthly understanding of mammaries doesn't apply to the Star Wars universe. Thanks to artists overly-relying on them as lazy one-stop-shopping for all their sex/gender identification needs, species from across the biological continuum have them, not just mammals.

While I can see why you're saying that, I think there's a nebulous zone between both those positions where a lot of those most adamant about this article's existence reside. There really is a sense that censorship is bad and this article helps fight the good fight by existing.

In a galaxy where we can't take real-world science for granted, "quantum uncertainty" is pretty much exactly where things stand, though I imagine a close reading of some of Stackpole's novels might let us smooth out the quantum foam a bit.

If he wanted that to remain canon, he should have dressed Leia a bit differently in Return of the Jedi. :p

Looks like one of our admins did, and then another admin, one of our founders, thankfully took up the cause of reverting and chastising him.

I'd vote against such a policy, as it would clear out this entire category, most of which clearly deserve to exist as articles. Unless you can find some reason to leave out human anatomy that isn't based in humanocentrism or out-of-universe reasoning, human body parts should be in there, too.

Trak, Culator would rather burn the Wook to the ground than give Wikia the time of day. (I wrote this sentence before I got to his post talking about having "to destroy the village in order to save it," which should tell you something about how consistent he's been in this opinion.)

Actually, I'd say that's exactly the real reason. After the original Trash compactor for Breast pointed out the absence of a penis article, people went looking in earnest for references to them, but since the word wasn't explicitly mentioned, they (and their search function on their ebooks) came up empty handed.

I would not be surprised if someone added an "unidentified Falleen anatomical bulge" article soon, now that you've pointed out its existence. (Rest assured it won't be me. I don't have time to add worthwhile articles to the Wook right now, let alone ones like that.)

22. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Can I just kinda step aside and wonder what the hell happened that the diversity thread of all things became the outlet for discussion of the Wook, people who think all nerds are like the Simpsons Comic Book Guy, and boobs.

I'm just.... wow. I'm not even sure if this is a collective win or a lose on your part, Coop. :p

TrakNar likes this.
  23. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Eh, I considered digging up the wook thread a few hours ago, but I was too lazy. This is still more on topic than a few days ago.

I get that, but surely it could be a list article or something if you really wanted the info on there. There's one for measurement units already--does "inch" really require its own article?

24. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Double post.

25. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Ah, I see. So part of being diverse is acknowledging and, oh no...celebrating the dickwads out there!

Who knew? ;)

Cynical_Ben likes this.