main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC [Image heavy]A thread for art: See note on page 776

Discussion in 'Community' started by VadersLaMent, Dec 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  2. Juliet316

Juliet316 SFTC UFC Bonanza Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
  3. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  4. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
  5. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2021
    Iron_lord and Juliet316 like this.
  6. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  7. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  8. Iron_lord

Iron_lord 27X Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 2, 2012
  9. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  10. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  11. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  12. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  13. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  14. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  15. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  16. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  17. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  18. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  19. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  20. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  21. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    The Mechanical Arcana by zazB on DeviantArt
    [​IMG]
    "The following work is about the Arcanas of Emervald Island. I’ve made it my life's work to gather all the knowledge I could on these gigantic suits of armor from a forgotten time.

Here we go for the traditional October art challenge! This month will be mecha inspired by tarot cards!"

The Mechanical Arcana - The Hermit by zazB on DeviantArt
    [​IMG]
    "IX-The Hermit
    First Arcana Discovered. Its original location is considered sacred grounds and is now the seat of the church. If necessary, a member of the Crellovanii Clan would ride it to battle since they were blessed with its discovery."

The Mechanical Arcana- The Emperor by zazB on DeviantArt
    [​IMG]
    "IV-The Emperor
    The second Major Arcana discovered. It was the key element in securing the Taurgrii’s place as ruling clan of the Island. Currently controlled by the Archon’s son, a man as cruel as he is vain."

The Mechanical Arcana - The Tower by zazB on DeviantArt
    [​IMG]
    "XVI The Tower
    The Tower stands guard over the Bay of Whispering Waves, to the South of the island, protecting us from pirates and raiders. It is the pride of Clan Osirii and their youngest daughter is its current arcanist."

The Mechanical Arcana - Figure of Staves by zazB on DeviantArt

[​IMG]
    "Figure of Staves
    First of the minor Arcana to be unearthed, these smaller machines have been used to build many castles, aqueducts and other great structures on the island of Emervald."

The Mechanical Arcana - The Sun by zazB on DeviantArt
    [​IMG]
    "XIX-The Sun
    The Sun Arcana was found in the ruins under the town of Valley Song and the citizens have been using it as a source of power and knowledge. Should they need to defend the city, the current captain of the watch would be its arcanist."

22. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  23. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    The Vikings - For Honor Redesign by JSailer on DeviantArt
    [​IMG]
    For Honor has become one of my favorite games in recent years. However, I cannot stand the Trash Hobos *ahem* Vikings general apparel. Not only is their armor generally unrealistic (some utterly lacking armor in a universe with fully armored warriors like the Lawbringers), it's only downright ugly at times. So, I decided to apply my knowledge of medieval warfare and mythology, and redesign the appearances of the Vikings heroes as well as their lore (I refuse to do the Shaman as her functionality has no place on a medieval battlefield).

Note: the armors and weapons here are not meant to be 100% historically accurate, but instead present a great degree of realism. In short, what would the Vikings actually have in universe with their limited resources and their wars with the other factions? Below, I have included lore texts and my general thoughts on the characters.

From Left to Right: Warlord, Berserker, Highlander, Valkyrie and Raider. In background are the Thrall (minions) and a Captain.

The Warlord:
    "The Vikings' many raids and wars are brutal, and Odin alone may decided who will fall and who will lead. The Warlords are the chosen few to survive battle after battle, campaign after campaign, to ultimately become veteran Jarls whose graybeards are a sign of their skill and their favor from the All-Father. Though their swords and shields are formidable in of themselves, it is their years of experience and their tactical minds that are the most dangerous in their arsenal that make them lethal to face. As the saying goes, 'Fear the old man in a profession where men die young."

Out of all Viking characters, the Warlord is arguably the best armed and armored, and required the least amount of re-visioning. That being said, I still had problems with his design. His general appearance was downright ugly and his gear rather primitive and unprotective compared to the other factions. With this in mind, I proceeded to making him one of the most armored warriors, especially considering his status as a 'Heavy' Character.
    As you can see, he is thoroughly padded with gambeson (something they would've picked up from the Knights) and leather/padded gloves (arguably the most targeted part of the body). His main armored components are a mailed shirt and a brigandine coat, which would contain small iron plates or disks riveted to a linen coat. I believe the Vikings would be able to make such armor, though not cheaply or as well made as the Knights faction. That being said, it would still serve as an effective alternative to plate mail or full plate armor. His weapons didn't need much change other than adding a linen cover to the shield, and switching out the Carolingian sword for an Arming Sword, which are arguably better designed blades, and would be something the Vikings could very easily pick up and make.

The Berserker:
    "Among the people of the North are those with a ferocious appetite for battle and a fearlessness rivaling that of a wild animal. These Berserkers are blessed by the war god Tyr, and wear bear skins as a status of their symbol. Indeed, the final trial for many of these warriors is to hunt down and butcher said animal alone, absorbing the mighty predator's spirit. In conflict, these warriors are often called upon to be personal champions and as such specialize in one-on-one combat. For this reason, they carry one handed battle axes and the rare buckler shield. Coupled with their unrivaled fury, these warriors are the stuff of nightmares for many."

The Berseker... where do I even start with this guy? He wears no real armor, carries two one handed axes and looks more like a rockstar than a proper warrior. Even worse, the guy doesn't even wear any bear skin as his real life counterpart the Berserkir ("bear-coat) and the Úlfhéðnar ("wolf-coat") do. This fool would die to arrow fire long before he even faces his opponents head-on.
    Because of this, designing the Berserker took the longest amount of time out of the Viking cast. I had to ultimately balance out his general aesthetic with armor realism, plus his position as an assassin (duelist). However, once I went the Hercules route and put the bear head on him, everything took off. In addition to said head and fur, the Berserker also wears mail, padding, and a leather armored coat made from bear hide (he is the only character to wear heavy leather as it makes sense for him to do so).
    The weapon choice also proved tricky until I stumbled upon Hurstwic's page on viking shields, stating that the old sagas do mention the use of targes and bucklers, though this may be an anachronistic addition from future writers. Regardless, the Vikings would eventually face opponents armed with such shields and may adopt them for the purposes of dueling. Remember, the Berserker is a dueling character, not entirely a battlefield one (though he would be probably used as a terror weapon and a skirmisher by the clever Warlords).

The Highlander:
    "Once the proud and honor-bound defenders of Ashfeld's northern borders, the Knights of the Highlander Clans led an open-rebellion against Apollyon's Blackstone Legion during the great Nordic Wars. This rebellion was fueled by Apollyon disregard for chivalry and Northern law, culminating in the southern nobility's annulment of Carta Libertatum, which had guaranteed northern autonomy. Apollyon was all-too happy to crush this rebellion, believing them to lack the strength and ruthlessness to perform their duties, citing the massacre of her childhood village as proof of the matter. Scattered to the four winds, many of the surviving Highlanders found ironic sanctuary in the company of their former enemies, the Vikings. Here, their great skill with the Claymore found a welcomed place among warriors who understood the meaning of honor and respect as they plan their revenge on their Southern Kin who betrayed them."

Being part Scottish and a general fan of the culture and associated movies, I generally find playing as the Highlander enjoyable. After all, who else am I going to roleplay Connor MacLeod as? However, his armor leaves much to be desired, and the strange contradiction of Christian warriors somehow owing fealty to pagans baffles me. As such, the Highlander received a completely changed backstory, becoming instead Viking-Knight hybrids out to get revenge on Apollyon and her remaining supporters.
    When approaching the Highlander's armor, I went half Outlaw King, half Braveheart. He wears a full suit of mail, some plate armor over his arms and legs, and an open faced bascinet helmet, as well as a kilt and face-paint. Yes yes, the Scots didn't wear kilts until much later and never wore face-paint... but come on. You have to admit that stuff looks cool on him, and it fits for his entire Viking-Knight aesthetic. His weapon is still the Claymore Great Sword as such weapons were used by infantry during the mid and late Medieval period.
    There can be only one!

The Valkyrie:
    "An ancient order of shield-maidens dedicated to Odin's angelic choosers of the dead, the Valkyrie serve to protect the innocent and worthy both on and off the battlefield, and ensure their admittance into Valhalla. To this end, they serve no master save for the All-Father, and will roam the lands looking to join those who will best serve their cause, their great spirituality marking them warrior-priestesses and last-riters. On the battlefield, their use of the spear, shield and javelin fit them into the role of trackers, scouts and skirmishers, though they have no issue fighting in shield walls and among the fiercest of battle. After all, what have they to fear of death when they are the Angels of Death?"

The Valkyrie has had one of the strangest runs in For Honor, from being so weak no one played her to a character who could be as annoying as Orochi with her fast lights and leg sweeps, all while still being relegated as just a mid-tier character with something of a bland personality. Worse, her appearance was something of a mess of leather and fur with one really badly designed helmet. Because of this, I had two jobs for redesigning Valk: improve her look and solidify her role in game with better lore and army position.
    Valkyrie always struck me as a kind of Viking Joan-of-Arc (basically Eowyn) who would perhaps occupy the same position as a Space Marine Chaplain. Their presence would inspire those around them and improve the morale of the troops, and them being akin to roaming ronin would require them to possess a light to medium kit which would place them firmly in the role of Skirmishers.
    To this end, I spent a considerable amount of research on Rus and Byzantine lighter infantry and even cataphracts, noting that many actually wore gambeson over mail rather than under it. An example I drew from was this particular image:
    i.pinimg.com/originals/4d/1a/0…
    As such, the Valkyrie sits in the position of a kind of light-to-medium infantry. As for the helmet, I decided to go for something a little more iconic, and based it off of the Viking-Saxon inspired Rohirrim helmets seen in LotR, particularly the one worn by Eowyn. Though not historical accurate, it is still plausible and I feel would be better suited than the in-game helmet (that closed visor is so close to the face that it negate any armor advantage, and its sloppy design means it won't deflect blows very well). I also gave her helmet stylized wings because... well, why not? It makes more sense than bloody ram horns, that's for sure.
    Her weapons largely remain the same, with the shield being a bit of a larger sized targe. However, I also included a javelin quiver to further cement her role as a skirmisher. Plus, it just looks cool, don't it?

The Raider:
    "Over the centuries, the Vikings have faced many opponents who boast a technological superiority to the Vikings, especially in metallurgy. It is through the devoted followers of Thor, favored son of Odin and the god's greatest warrior, that their answer to such enemies appeared: the Raider. Armored in lamellar and plate mail, and armed with the mighty Dane Axe, the Raiders represents a terrifying combination of brute strength and battle ferocity; with some of the bravest Samurai and Knights fearful of this mighty warrior. For this reason, the Raiders serve as heavy infantry shock troops, charging and smashing enemies lines while bellowing the praises of the mighty Thor!"

And here we are with Raider: the poster boy of everything wrong with the Vikings. In short, this shirtless, stereotypical idiot would probably be the first to drop in any serious military engagement, probably from arrow fire or just being cut open. Impressive pectorals do not stop blades. Because of this, the Raider required perhaps the most dramatic of changes to make him a viable warrior.
    Fortunately, I did not have to look far, and found my answer in the form of the Varangian Guards. Effectively the closest equivalent to Viking Knights, the Varangians were given heavy armor and Dane Axes, and served as terrifying shock troops. Sound familiar? To this end, I approached the Raider as being given arms and armor meant to counter enemies like the Warden and Kensei while compensating for a lack of a shield, with heavy mail, gambeson, lamellar and plate mail making the Raider perhaps the most heavily armored warrior in the Viking arsenal... for now.
    The only real change I gave to the Dane Axe was the inclusion of a back spike seen on medieval battle axes. After all, what goes through armor better than a nice big spike?
    Now this guy can truly be worthy of the title of "Legendary!"

Now, if you have a keen eye, then you've no doubt seen the polehammer at the bottom. Yes, that is in preparation of the new Viking hero, and as you can already tell I have issues with the weapon. I already have plans for said character, but I will wait for the official announcement before starting work on it.

Well, that concludes this redesign on the Viking faction. I will be tackling another faction in the coming weeks (I'm not sure which one as of yet). And remember, VALHALLA!

24. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  25. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.