main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion IMAX PRESENTATION DETAILS

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by Chris_Fives, Aug 5, 2015.

?

Will you be seeing it in IMAX?

1. Yes

79.2%
  2. No

20.8%
  1. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Well, really just because I've always went to movies with friends and family. I for some reason had always found it a sort of lonely idea to go see movies all alone-you can't really share things you experience in the viewing with anyone, like laughing, or being amazed at something. IMO that's much more enjoyable when shared.

That being said, that was when I was younger-school age. Now, being a thirty-something adult, with two toddlers, I go alone at least half the time, in order to "get away," as it were...

B99 likes this.
  2. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Cool!

3. thesloth1327

thesloth1327 Jedi Padawan

Dec 13, 2015
  4. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    When it comes to LARGE Format, is it the same thing as I-max pretty much? Like they filmed a scene with I-max cameras, will
    I get the same experience in LF, but lil bigger?

5. Gus X

Gus X Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 24, 2014
    I just bought IMAX tickets for 10am on the 18th. By then, I would have already seen it twice in 2d.

Chris_Fives likes this.
  6. Pancellor Chalpatine

Pancellor Chalpatine Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 5, 2015
    A good way to describe this is
    Imax-DBZ regular DVD
    standard-DBZ Orange bricks remastered sets

For those who aren't DBZ nerds or former DBZ nerds, basically IMAX is how you see ALL the footage, unfortunaitly standard is like a zoomed in version, you get less footage to see. Last time I went to IMAX it was boring, the volume was so loud I couldn't hear the audio, the air from the speakers made it so loud you couldn't make out what was said. I'm giving it another try, it's a different IMAX but I don't want to deal with not hearing the dang movie. I'm gonna be away from the speakers if I can. Before it was uncomfortable volume wise. They better give use the FULL screen on DVD and not the standard version with less screen. That'd suck.

Gus X likes this.
  7. Gus X

Gus X Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 24, 2014
    I am seeing it in IMAX 3D on Friday.. (I am playing hooky from work... shhhhhhhhhh[face_mischief])

I don't normally do 3D of any kind, but why not for this? I did a little research on the format and so I am hopeful...

8. thesloth1327

Dec 13, 2015
    Not sure I follow what you are saying.

The Imax version of this film will be either on 70mm film not a DVD or bluray.

Or a digital version but again not a DVD or bluray.

9. Pancellor Chalpatine

Dec 5, 2015
    I mean how much screen you get with Imax.
    Imax=100% of the screen
    standard-70%

DVD/blu ray=hopefully 100%

10. hippie1kenobi

hippie1kenobi Force Ghost star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    I think he was trying to use an analogy to explain the different aspect ratios.

11. Wally44

Wally44 Jedi Master star 2

Mar 10, 2005

I'm shocked but my currently within walking distance to where it will be shown in 70MM at the Science Center of Iowa in Des Moines. Pretty cool! I hadn't planned on seeing it in IMAX any time soon, but I will definitely make the effort to see it that way soon!

12. Dak Oolron

Dak Oolron Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 24, 2014
    I'll be doing IMAX 3D. I don't really care about the particulars (I'm no A/V guru), I just wanted an upgrade over the normal theater experience. I especially don't care about the 3D part, but it was harder to find not-3D IMAX than the 3D variety...

In the past when I've gone to a 3D film, the 3D effect kinda wore off after the first 15 minutes. My brain must've gotten used to it and from that point forward I experienced it similarly to a 2D movie. It will be interesting to see if I notice the effect throughout the movie this time. Seems like there are a lot of swoopy shots, based on the trailers, so I'm expecting the feeling of depth/movement accentuated by 3D should be engaged throughout.

13. Kajash

Kajash Jedi Master star 2

May 15, 2002

Lucky bastard, here in Hungary, there are no subtitled 3d or Imax prints, just 2d. I don't like 3D, but would love to watch it in IMAX, but I won't watch it dubbed. That's the reason why I decided to skip a press screening I was offered a ticket to: it will be the dubbed version.

14. Pancellor Chalpatine

Dec 5, 2015
    Is IMAX soley 3D or is it 2D and 3D?

15. Chris_Fives

Chris_Fives Jedi Master star 3

Apr 16, 2015
    Press screening with dubbing??!![face_hypnotized] what the hell!!??

16. thesloth1327

Dec 13, 2015
    Both 3D and 2D but 2D and Laser 3D are rare.

3D laser is according to J.J. stunning but there are only 7 of those in North America. 1 in Canada. There are a few more around the world.

2D 70mm film is next up but only 15 in NA 29 total. Only 1 in Canada.

The rest are the digital 3D IMAX projection. This is what most people will see and have access to.

I apologize if I got the counts mixed up a bit.

Bottom line most people will only have access to IMAX 3D unless they want to travel.

17. Pancellor Chalpatine

Dec 5, 2015
    Thanks for the heads up. I guess I'll row the dice and see what IMAX gives me. Both seam great.