main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga In The Cold - 2/5 (Obi-Wan, Dex friendship vig)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by serendipityaey, Feb 5, 2013.

1. serendipityaey

serendipityaey Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2004
    Title: In The Cold
    Author: Ashley
    Characters: Obi-Wan, Dex
    Genre: Friendship, General
    Era: Clone Wars
    Rating: K
    Summary: In a dark, cold galaxy, Obi-Wan seeks the company of a friend.

Author's Note: Originally written for a TCW 'warmth' challenge :) Please enjoy, and let me know what you think!

~*~*~*~*~

The only thought he had was that he could not stay here. Not tonight.

It only took a matter of moments for Obi-Wan to pull his boots on and find his cloak before he was closing the door to his modest room behind him and taking purposeful strides toward the nearest exit.

He should meditate. He should be resting.

But he found he could not, nor did he even want to try. The Temple, his home, the place where he should always find peace and solace ...it was quiet. Too quiet. Deathly quiet. And he didn't want to face it tonight.

A rare but not unknown feeling of loneliness was beginning to creep around the edges of his heart, gaining in strength and measure even with every step he took through the empty passageways of his temple.

Anakin, maybe one of only two he would consider as close as he could have to family, was far, far away, fighting some bloody battle, on some war torn planet, risking life and limb, for who knew how long.

Those he would consider friends were doing the same on countless planets in similar situations strewn across the galaxy. Those that had not already perished, anyway.

The thought was grim, and the accompanying feelings of frustration and despair were unlike the Jedi Master, but in these times even he was finding hope harder and harder to come by.

And though he was a Jedi, his ultimate goal to be above any need or desire, he knew sometimes it was best, necessary even, for one not to be alone.

The galaxy had grown into a dark, cold place. And no one was immune.

For a moment, he considered going for a drink but that thought was quickly dismissed in favor of another. Perhaps a friend, in moments like this, was preferable to the less-than-healthy methods of dealing with loneliness.

So Obi-Wan made his way to CoCo Town. The streets and skylines seemed less populated than usual but it was no more than a fleeting thought and Obi-Wan pulled on his hood to shadow his face anyway, though he wasn't entirely sure why. There was nothing to hide from here and the air was not cold, not on Coruscant...

Again, he was reminded of darker, colder things - his thoughts so easily pulled down into the muck - and of the last place he'd been: cold, rainy, dirty. Children and families, ripped from their homes to cower shivering in the mud. And there had been so little he could do.

This sheltered, climate-controlled existence on Coruscant seemed almost obscene in comparison.

His thoughts were lifted however as he reached the old-style diner that was his destination, and the friend that was there to greet him.

"Obi-Wan," Dex grinned, throwing his arms wide for a hug. "It's good to see you."

Obi-Wan could not help but smile in return as he embraced his old friend.

With a wave of his hand, Dex gestured to an empty table, but with a startled glance Obi-Wan realized that every table was empty.

"Slow night, Dex?" Obi-Wan asked as he settled on the bench seat.

"Holiday and all, you know," Dex answered as he moved into the kitchen but continued speaking to Obi-Wan from behind the pass-through. It seemed there was no staff, either.

"Never get many customers, but I like to stay open, anyway," Dex continued as he prepared something on the counter. "Someone usually makes their way here, and they always seem to be in need of something and grateful for a place to go."

Obi-Wan had not recalled it was a holiday until Dex mentioned it and pretended not to notice the knowing look on his friend's face though he couldn't help smiling anyway.

"Hot spiced chocolate," Dex announced heartily as he emerged from the kitchen a moment later with two large mugs.

"Sounds a bit rich," Obi-Wan bantered, lifting one brow at Dex, who was squeezing into the booth across from him.

"Can't drink tea all the time, Obi-Wan. This is good for you, it'll warm you right up."

"But it's not cold outside," Obi-Wan replied.

He'd meant it to be a light-hearted rebuke but his voice had taken on a quieter tone he hadn't intended.

Dex, in his way though, knew, and he took it all in stride. "Sometimes it's your insides that need warming up." His eyes held a merry sort of glint, and Obi-Wan found he could only be glad he came so he lifted the mug to his lips and took a long, slow sip of the steaming liquid.

It was indeed rich, the chocolate thick and decadent, coating his tongue as he tasted it. The chocolate was sweet and there was a hint of vanilla and cinnamon as well as something spicier that gave the drink an entirely different kind of heat. It was delicious and he decided he quite enjoyed it, even if it wasn't something he would have very often.

The rich treat was good, and the company better and after some time Obi-Wan felt his mood lifting, though in the back of his mind he could still sense the weight of a small unnamed sorrow and he let his mind drift with things he knew the Jedi in him would not wish for, but the man in him could hope for.

As always, he left all his faith to the Force and he would accept whatever it brought.

Later, they finished their drinks and Dex moved to the kitchen to prepare some food and finally some tea. From his robe, Obi-Wan's comm sounded with the beep that indicated a message at the same moment the door chimed with the entering of a new patron. For one instant he didn't know which to look at, but then his senses were flooded with a warm, familiar presence in the Force and he found it did not matter because he knew.

And he did not feel so cold any longer.

obimom and laloga like this.
  2. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    :_|

Ouch. This hurts.

Oh, very interesting - love Dex's line about warming up Obi-Wan's insides. You had me thinking that this was post-Satine death's OR the anniversary of Qui-Gon's death. But instead it was - is - ambiguous.

Bravo - well done. =D=

Jade_eyes likes this.
  3. ruth baulding

ruth baulding Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    Ah, Dex... you are a wise fellow. I think he is. And you paint him such - an earthy wisodm, not the refined wisdom of the Order. And I like the ambiguity of the ending, too. Thanks!

4. Eryndil

Eryndil Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 18, 2012
    Nice thoughtful piece, summing up that quiet melancholy that even a Jedi can experience at times - and Dex's simple but effective solution. It's good to have friends, and healthy to have friends outside the Order. Now, I wonder who this new arrival is...

5. laloga

laloga Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 28, 2011
    Lovely ficlet, appropriately warm and sweet. [face_love] (Always makes me want hot chocolate when I read!) Sigh. It's so sad on one hand to see Obi alone, brooding and unhappy, but the feeling is short lived as he seeks out a place of solace in his friend, Dex. Wonderful job showing their relationship, how close they are, and how Dex gently urges him to accept a little sweetness and comfort. :)

Fantastic job with Dex, btw. He's a great character and you've caught him really well, here. :D

Ah, I have a feeling I know who's coming into the diner at the end...someone who can, no doubt, offer Obi another kind of comfort, no less welcome but perhaps a little more tangible. [face_love] ;)

Wonderful work! [face_coffee]

Jade_eyes likes this.
  6. Luna_Nightshade

Luna_Nightshade Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2006
    Love how Dex took care of Obi-Wan and seemed to know just what he needed. I also quite liked the ambiguity of the ending--looks like a scene that could be expanded at some point. Great look into Obi-Wan's thoughts. Lovely vignette.

7. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 7

Aug 21, 2006
    A lovely piece showing the great friendship between Obi-Wan and Dex. Dex sure knows what a Jedi needs.;)

8. taramidala

taramidala Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 1999
    One of my favorite things about Ewan McGregor's performance was the warmth he showed to this CGI character. He made Dex real, just as you have done here. And I like thinking that Obi-Wan, consummate Jedi Master, had "outside" friends. Well done! :)

9. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004
    In the midst of war it could get very lonely and depressing, Dex has brightened up his day and whoever has arrived has completed his heart, I would like to imagine.
    Sweet.=D=

10. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Hi: Of course, you got Obi-Wan with brilliant poignancy. @};- Yeah, the description of the spicy chocolate made me want a large mug of it -- ;) :) I'm glad Dex was able to lift Obi's sense of heavy sadness etc., And I (like laloga) like to speculate on who just came in :D :D But then [face_batting] that begs this to become a 2-shot. [face_dancing]

^:)^

11. serendipityaey

Jan 24, 2004
    Thank you everyone so much for the reviews! It really means a lot to me! In case you're interested in reading more; I've just updated Miracle **Updated 2/23 [Obi-Wan - PostRotS AU] as well :)

Valairy Scot Those are both great ideas! I love the thought of it being the anniversary of Qui's death...I might have to expand on that! Thank you! I'm happy you enjoyed it. @};-

ruth baulding I'm glad you liked Dex, I really enjoy writing him. Hopefully I can find another occasion :) Thank you so much for taking the time to review! I really appreciate it.

Eryndil Thank you! I really wanted to show a simple moment of friendship, how one little positive thing can help turn everything around. I guess I like to leave myself room to expand a story... :D

laloga I really don't see how the war and what happens could *not* affect Obi, but he's a good man, and he has good friends :) Always ready to offer chocolate and other comforts ;) Thank you so much for reviewing!!

Luna_Nightshade Thank you for the reivew! I'm glad you liked it. Even Obi deserves some moments of caring, every once in awhile :) I love writing it, and I like the idea of expanding.

earlybird-obi-wan Dex does know! It was a fun friendship to write :) Thank you for reviewing, I really appreciate it!!

taramidala Awww, thank you! I totally agree. I loved how they were onscreen, and you're right! Dex wasn't even truly there. A talented actor indeed. Thanks for reviewing! :)

Gkilkenny Yes! I would like to imagine that as well [face_love] Thank you!!

Jade_eyes Awwww, thank you! That means a lot! :D The chocolate was the second best part, the best is imagining who might've come in, and the loveliness they might bring. Thaks for the review! Maybe a two shot... ;)

Thanks again!

laloga likes this.
  12. obimom

obimom Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2010
    Ashley..that was quite lovely...the descriptions perfectly painted a picture of lonely melancholy; of a wandering desire to find comfort...and those wandering steps took him to Dex...and you gotta love Dex...he knew just what Obi-Wan needed.

Very nice, comforting piece..it made me feel warmed on this cold, pre- blizzard evening...:)

Now, who is at the door? [face_thinking]

serendipityaey likes this.
  13. serendipityaey

Jan 24, 2004
    Ahhh, good! I'm really glad :) Dex, I think would know just what to provide and he seems such a good friend to Obi-Wan, I loved writing him. I'm happy you enjoyed it, and thanks for taking the time to review! I really appreciate it :)

Hmmm... [face_thinking] possibly someone blonde...

Jade_eyes likes this.