main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Index Index of the Old Republic- KOTOR index and discussion- Winter update! New stories, new discussion.

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by KOTOR_Index, Jan 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Princess Cambria

Princess Cambria Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2006
    Thanks you guys for enlightening me about Revan and Exile. [:D] Since I'm not a gamer, this helps me understand their multilayered character's better. Keep it coming![face_dancing]

2. KOTOR_Index

KOTOR_Index Jedi Youngling

Dec 29, 2005
    New story by milady78 added to KOTOR II section! Check it out.

3. emeraldshadow

emeraldshadow Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 7, 2005
    Are there any plans to issue a second challenge?[face_batting]

4. Darth_Sabith

Darth_Sabith Jedi Master star 4

Oct 17, 2006
    hello everyone,
    Does anyone know anything about 5109 bby?

5. KOTOR_Index

Dec 29, 2005
    Well it has been a long time since this thread saw the light of day... and I'm mostly to blame for that. But I'm here now! So, without further ado...

KOTOR Index updated with story by KITTnKATT! Go check it out!

As an answer to Darth_Sabith's question... I haven't been able to find ANY information about that specific date (5109 BBY). But if anyone out there knows anything specific please let us know.

Now... who wants to talk KOTOR?

6. SabyneAmberle

SabyneAmberle Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 16, 2004
    Wow, this thing hasn't seen the light of day in a long time.

*grabs a shovel and digs up the thread*

There. With that done, let's talk some more KotOR, shall we?

So here's a discussion idea: Which KotOR character(s) is/are your favorite to write about?

For me, it's tough to choose just one favorite. I like to write about Carth in K1 stories, and Atton and Mical/Disciple in K2. I think Atton and Mical draw me 'cause they were given such short shrift in the characterization department that I kinda feel for them. When I write, I definitely try to flesh out the characters I'm writing about, give them reasons and connections to their actions and thoughts.

7. BrentusofGath

BrentusofGath Jedi Master star 4

Aug 12, 2005
    Great topic idea Sabyne!

In my current story, I'm using Canderous, HK-47 and 3 of the Masters, one, Atris from K2. Canderous has the meatiest role, because it's mostly an OC affair and it's one month before the beginning of KOTOR I.

I didn't get too much HK-47 in because the story just didn't lend itself, plus I didn't want to keep him too long because he had to end up on Tattooine somehow for the game. ;)

Overall I really enjoyed writing both Canderous and HK. Atris was good too because of her darker side.

I haven't written any of the others yet, but there's always next time. ;)

8. KOTOR_Index

Dec 29, 2005
    Index updated with story by drevan1138. Check out the Pre-Kotor/Mandalorian Wars section for it!

Now... it is wonderful to see folks posting to this thread again. I had feared that my attempts to keep it afloat had failed miserably. Ok, maybe they did... but I want to give a great THANK YOU to SabyneAmberle for starting up a discussion all on her own. But let's make it official:

Which KotOR character(s) is/are your favorite to write about?... now with highlighted goodness :D So... what say you?

And what the heck... let's throw in a challenge just for good measure.

You know, the universe is a big place, even in the time of KotOR. And with that understanding comes the knowledge that there are a multitude of individuals who are never known about, existing on the periphery of the adventures unfolding. So my challenge to all you great KotOR authors is this:

Write a vig (less than 2000 words preferable) where the main character is an OC. Your character is NOT to interact with the canon characters or adventures... simply observe and describe from their point of view. Will your character be a street urchin in Anchorhead who follows the crew hoping for a handout, a swoop racer on Taris, or a gizka hopping happily along the beach on Rakata Prime... before getting gobbled up by a rancor? The sky is the limit.

Now go forth, write like the wind... and may the Force be with you!

9. Alley_Skywalker

Alley_Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 27, 2005
    Hi *waves* Awesome thread :)

I do have a question: How far after KOTOR II does this index/thread incompass? Is to the end of the Second Sith War still eligible or is that too far in the "future"?

10. KOTOR_Index

Dec 29, 2005
    First a clarification... The Second Sith War, also known as the Jedi Civil War, is what takes place prior and during the first KotOR game. I believe the war you are asking about here is the New Sith War which began 2000 BBY and ended in 1000 BBY and saw the rise to power of Darth Bane. If I am wrong on this point please correct me.

Now to the question. While most of the stories in this index are focused on the two games of KotOR and KotOR II, there are stories which deal with the times before and after those events and deal with characters not directly related to the games. However it has never been specifically stated where this index begins and ends, timewise. Personally I don't see a problem with events that take place as far in the "future" as 2000 BBY, as long as we don't get too far into the Darth Bane range of time. But perhaps it is something for the population of the Index to determine.

So I pose the question to you, fine people of the Index... What timeperiod is too far into the "future" for this thread?

11. SabyneAmberle

SabyneAmberle Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 16, 2004
    Hmmm, that could probably fall under the time period of the "Old Republic". To me, that time period is anything from 2,000 years before the Empire on backwards. It might be shaving things a tad close, but I think that could be considered part of the O.R. canon. :)

12. the_wandering_shadow

the_wandering_shadow Jedi Knight star 3

May 16, 2005
    Oh, why not. I'll take the challenge too.

13. SithGirl132

SithGirl132 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 6, 2005
    Great thread.
    I think I need some help and I'm glad I found this thread.
    I have a plot bunny for the era of the Great Sith War. Is there somewhere that could give me a complete and detailed synopiss of everything that happened from the beginning of the Krath(4000 BBY)up until about when Ulic Qel-Droma dies? I checked Wookieepedia and I've re-read the New Essential Chronology, but I still think I'm missing something.

14. Darth_Sabith

Oct 17, 2006
    Hey something you may not know. The sith may have came from the jedi but they created a council pior to the jedi. Before the great hyperspace war there where jedi masters but no council. They also could have any amount of padawons as they wished to have at once.
    Although the jedi "invinted" the lightsaber first I find that hard to swallow since they where peaceful monks. I think it would be more likely a sith developed it and the jedi remade it

15. drevan1138

drevan1138 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 7, 2006
    SithGirl132: I don't know if this is any more detailed than the NEC, but there is a great timeline on the following site: http://www.starwarsfanworks.com/timeline/ just download the PDF file.

I hope that helps. Good luck with that plot bunny (or gizka).

16. jade_angel

jade_angel Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 4, 2001
    Hello! I think I'm one of those Revan fans who has fallen in love with the character without actually having played the games. Kinda strange isn't it?

I actually stumbled across him on Wookiepedia and his story has intrigued me since. I've actually spoiled most of the game's central cutscenes for myself, but watching the game isn't exactly the same as playing it, but it has inspired me to write a few Revan based fics.

Enihoo, I appreciate what people are doing in this thread. Please keep things up, there are really not enough KOTOR based fics out there and certainly not enough Revan fics for my liking ;)

17. Darth_Sabith

Oct 17, 2006
    Hello everyone just fyi I created a new KOTOR rpg wanted to see if anyone was interested pm please.

18. WraithTen

WraithTen Jedi Youngling

Apr 9, 2007
    Hi everyone. I just wanted to introduce myself. I'm new here, haven't written much but what I have written revolves around the most addictive game I have ever played...KoTOR.

I just posted an AU story here. I've been lurking at the KFM site for over a year cuz I was too scared to come here. I know, I'm weird. I've heard that before. [face_money_eyes]

I guess I will see you around the boards!:)

19. ZekksGoddess

ZekksGoddess Jedi Master star 4

Oct 2, 2004
    Well howdy, everyone! :)

I've been looking around for a thread like this for a couple days now. My KotoR addiction is certainly getting the best of me these days. O:)

20. Tizzel

Tizzel Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 17, 2007
    Title: Collision

Link to the story: Link

Timeframe: 500 years after KotOR

Genre: Angst/Action-Adventure/Drama

Characters: OC's
    Protagonist- Jedi Knight Garden Crumm, Padawan Tekair, Dorak Harlan, Minister of Defense Kale Torosa, Senator Kolar Yant
    Antagonist- Darth Haine, Darth Rand, Darth Rarwoook, Admiral Decca Benson, Mandalore

Notes:This is my first Star wars Fan Fiction but I have been in many RPs. It will start off slow but I promise you will enjoy it and than things will get fast.

21. KOTOR_Index

Dec 29, 2005
    Well, it seems that this thread has been buried for far too long. True, a big part of that is my fault and I apologize profusely to all of you who have been waiting for something new in this venue. Life has a way of taking over and making you commit to things other than fan fiction (The horror!!!!)

Anyway... I have finally gotten around to taking my Index-ship seriously and have brought this thread back from the very bowels of Fanfiction Resource Forgotten Threads, henceforth to be known as the "Dark Place".

So here is my attempt at redemption, a new discussion for you all (and there was much rejoicing [face_dancing] ):

In regards to KotOR, we think a lot about a few main characters... Revan, Malak, the Exile, Bastila, etc. But there are so many great and complex characters that inhabit the realm of KotOR and the years preceding and just following. So the question I pose, to all KotOR fans (and anyone who happens to stumble onto this thread and wishes to add their two credits), is this:

Who is your favorite minor character, and why? Do you like Carth for his brooding, or Mandalore because he represents the epitome of power? Do you find Juhani's catish voice appealing, or are you more drawn to Vrook Lamar's gruff attitude?

So come on, open up and tell us what you think. This is your forum... I just work here :D

22. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    I am an unashamed Carth fan. So much <3. :p

It's not the brooding, either, which I largely found annoying. The words: "Oh master! I do not trust you! I cannot trust you, or anyone! EVER AGAIN!" hit it dead on the nose. Sometimes you just want to take him and hit him over the head with a two by four. But the thing is, once you get past that, he's just a good human being. He's about as loyal as they come, and that's a trait I admire. It may be near impossible to gain his trust, but the fact that it's hard to get makes it more worth the earning. His loyalty is worth its weight in gold.

Though, since I contest that he's actually a minor character (I mean, come on! He's the romantic interest if you're playing as a girl!)... my favourite minor character is the Whimpering Locker on Manaan. I think there's a lot of unexplored character potential, there, and whatever really drove him to lock himself in there and not come out is something I want to know. Also, the fact that there's a "whimpering locker" just makes me giggle. Thus, it is my favourite. :D

23. Commander5052

Commander5052 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 28, 2005
    Mandalore's my favorite, which is why I wrote a story with him as one of the POV characters. It's not done yet, which is why I'm not submitting it in that format, but Commander-DWH suggested I post it here, so here it is. It's called "A Graveyard in the Making", and its about the Battle of Malachor V.

24. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    Good to see you here, Commander! :D No worries about posting it, just PM the story info to the sock whenever you're ready.

25. bi0nic

bi0nic Jedi Master star 3

Feb 15, 2006
    Do you find Juhani's catish voice appealing

Wyo, please. [face_talk_hand] Now you're just being silly. How could anyone listen to that preposterous Russian accent and find it anything other than laughable? :p ;)

Truth be told, it's been so long since I've played the KOTOR games that I have a hard time remembering the major characters, let alone the minor ones. But if we're defining minor characacters as anyone other than Revan and the Exile, that helps me out.

Out of them all, I might just have to go with Bastila, and not just cos she's easily the fittest girl in the games. ;) The relationship with her mother had an interesting arc, I thought, and her struggles with being a Jedi came across well. Also, the bit where she turns dark side and shows up at the top of the Rakatan Temple really felt like a stab in the heart, definitely one of the best parts of 1.

I totally agree with Commander-DWH about the Whimpering Locker though, his mixture of physical comedy and obvious insanity made that character a great little addition to that section of the game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.