main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Doom Trooper, Mar 23, 2014.

1. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    The Ark is perfect and Raiders is still the defining movie of that genre IMO. With Temple being a prequel I think the addition of the children changes Indys mindset from just being there for the fortune and glory to something more emotionally caring.

He did direct the Tintin animated film in 2011, which is very much in the vein of an Indiana Jones film.

2. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    This is from 1956-58's Tintin story The Red Sea Sharks:
    [​IMG]

I think you can see a line of inspiration, yeah :p

3. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    Though note that both of those are just copying a real building (the Al Kazneh in the ancient Nabatean city of Petra, in Jordan) and making it a landmark of the imaginary country they were setting the story in.

Sarge and Iron_lord like this.
  4. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Yeah, it's like showing the audience that a scene is in Paris by showing a shot of the Eiffel Tower.

5. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    I don't know if I agree with that assessment. I think "Raiders" was the first really successful movie of that genre. I think that is the only reason why many call it "defining".

6. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Raiders is usually on top 100 movies of all time lists and was nominated for a ton of Oscars including best picture. Not that that means everything, but it is one objective criteria. I love TOD, but it never appears on any best of lists. :p

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
  7. R.D.

R.D. Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2015
    Raiders I will accept as generally being better made, but for pure enjoyment, little beats Crusade for me. Connery, RIP, always brings a smile to my face, whether it's the scene where he weaponizes bird flocks or tells Nazis to get screwed. As does the final scene. Macguffin wise...the Ark itself is more visually memorable, but the Grail has been itself a Macguffin in stories for centuries, giving it a little extra weight--and, of course, worth it for "You have chosen...wisely'.

Sarge, christophero30 and AndyLGR like this.
  8. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Theres more to this film being regarded as genre defining than just its success, that's doing it a real disservice. It doesn't feature in film magazine or critics lists purely on its success alone. Its structure, stunts, choreography, cinematography, set design, score, characters are a lightning in a bottle moment that as a package Hollywood has tried to replicate since and it hasn't quite managed to. Its as much an important film in Hollywood as a Jaws, Alien, Godfather, Star Wars, Searchers, Shawshank or a Die Hard. Classic movies that define a particular genre, and rightly so too.

The Last Crusade out of all the Indy films gets close to Raiders.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
    Emperor Ferus and christophero30 like this.
  9. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    Enjoyed the rewatch of Last Crusades on Thanksgiving night. Watching Raiders and Last Crusades again puts some of the criticism of Crystal Skull in perspective. All the early beloved Indy films were slapstick in nature.

The reason why it turned me off of Crystal Skull and not them is because Raiders/Crusades are insulated by nostalgia and those first impressions of my much younger self.

10. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Last Crusade was fun and all but too derivative of Raiders, I think they played it too safe after Temple of Doom(which I really liked).

My opinion Charlton Heston would've been a better choice for Henry Jones Sr.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secret_of_the_Incas

Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
    AndyLGR likes this.
  11. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    I know Gregory Peck was considered, and I personally can see him doing really well but you make a good point about Heston also @Vorax

I get the reason they casted Sean though.

R.D. and christophero30 like this.
  12. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    I love Heston but Connery was perfect.

R.D. and AndyLGR like this.
  13. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    "I should have mailed it to the Marx brothers."

:D

14. Dark Ferus

Jul 29, 2016
  15. R.D.

R.D. Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2015
    It's kind of hard to imagine Heston pulling off the same goofy grandpa performance, for me.

16. Dark Ferus

Jul 29, 2016
    Get your stinking paws off me, you damn dirty Nazi!

(Not you RD)

Last edited: Dec 7, 2020
  17. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Agreed. I think ROTLA and TOD are better, but TLC is pure entertainment.

18. CosmoHender

CosmoHender Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2016
    I think The Last Crusade is a good way to introduce kids to the character... and it was actually my introduction to Indiana Jones. I have this movie to thank for making me a fan. It's certainly not a perfect film. The film plays it safe, is a bit too silly in some areas (the characterization of Brody and Sallah as comic reliefs is especially noticeable), and Donovan is probably my least favorite of the main antagonists in the series. But there are a lot of great funny moments (especially the Hitler cameo), Sean Connery is delightful, the father/son relationship gives the film heart, the tank battle is a fantastic action piece, and Elsa is a complex love interest/villain that is different from both Marion and Willie.

19. StarYogi

StarYogi Jedi Master star 2

Nov 18, 2005
    Heston was iconic, but Connery was also a better actor IMO

Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
    christophero30 likes this.
  20. Lobot's Wig

Lobot's Wig Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 13, 2020
    I like how the first three movies use cliched old movie archetypes for the female characters. Marion is the feisty heroine, Willie the damsel in distress and Elsa the femme fatale.

21. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Heston would've been ideal since they modeled Indiana after him and his characters in the first place. It never really made any sense why he copied one of the bad guys for his "Indiana" persona just cause he gave him a sweaty hat after chasing him down.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

StarYogi and christophero30 like this.
  22. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    I love Heston but Ford looks a hell of a lot cooler in a fedora.

PCCViking likes this.
  23. Lobot's Wig

Dec 13, 2020
    The funniest part in that movie is when Ford attempts that horrendous Scottish accent.

StarYogi and PCCViking like this.
  24. StarYogi

StarYogi Jedi Master star 2

Nov 18, 2005
    As a kid I thought the funniest scene by far was the confused librarian stamping the books. As an adult I think I lean more toward the scene when Marcus is wandering around lost asking if anyone speaks English. :D

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
    Sarge and PCCViking like this.
  25. Lobot's Wig

Dec 13, 2020
    "Water? No thank you sir, fish make love in it" [face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh]

StarYogi likes this.