main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Indy 5 Indiana Jones & The Dial of Destiny All Aboard the Hype Train to June 2023!

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by choccy, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Now I'm trying to remember if he punched her.

KyleKartan likes this.
  2. Jar-Jar Binks

Jar-Jar Binks SWC Late Show With JJB Host star 8 VIP - Game Host

Nov 17, 2016
    how do you know that? ;)

Sarge and KyleKartan like this.
  3. KyleKartan

KyleKartan Force Ghost star 4

Feb 4, 2004
    She talks when she sleeps. Got it from an old friend ;)

PCCViking and Jar-Jar Binks like this.
  4. PCCViking

PCCViking 5x Hangman Winner/9X Wacky Wed. Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    She kisses Indy, which is how the say goodbye in Austria.
    Then Vogel strikes them, saying that's how they say goodbye in Germany.
    Indy and his father both prefer the Austrian way. :p

5. KyleKartan

Feb 4, 2004
    As a German I can confirm the way to say goodbye. We always have red raw cheeks ‍♂️

CampOfSorgan, AndyLGR and Sarge like this.
  6. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    When she counted on her fingers she counted on her thumb.

7. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Thought this was a really cool Tweet from Mangold and gives some insight into DoD’s development:

8. StampidHD280pro

StampidHD280pro Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    Somewhere in that conversation Mangold explains that he made the transition from the Lucasfilm logo instead of the Paramount one, and why he had to. I didn't realize there was a transition from the Lucasfilm logo to the action on screen. It's quick, but it's there. That at least explains the first shot, which had really thrown me off. Now I guess it doesn't bother me so much.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2024
  9. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    The lucasfilm logo fading to the bolt on the door of the truck works, buts its not the same as the Paramount fade which we are so used to. There was some making of footage, possibly on youtube, showing them filming the logo with the truck bolt on the set.

StampidHD280pro likes this.
  10. CampOfSorgan

CampOfSorgan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2020
    James Mangold just makes good movies.
    I am still impressed with Dial of Destiny, and I can't believe how much I loved this movie.
    You can tell James loves & respects this franchise, and it shows in the film.

11. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I see that John Williams won a grammy for Helena's theme.

12. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Well deserved!

KyleKartan, AndyLGR and Happy Sando like this.
  13. KyleKartan

Feb 4, 2004
    Lets see if he'll win the Oscar for his last work possibly. But I doubt it. Williams hasnt won an Oscar for some decades now. At least...its his 54th nomination!

christophero30 and Happy Sando like this.
  14. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    How many Oscars does he have? I know he won for Fiddler on the Roof and Schindler's List. Did he win for Jaws too? Hard to believe he didn't win one for Superman.

15. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    He won for E.T. and Star Wars as well.

christophero30 likes this.
  16. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    JW has 54 noms and 5 wins.

Dark Ferus, christophero30 and Sarge like this.
  17. CampOfSorgan

CampOfSorgan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2020
    I’m Very sad to see reports that Dial of Destiny lost Disney a lot of $$$…
    I saw it multiple times at the theater I enjoyed it so much

18. QuinlanSolo

QuinlanSolo Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 17, 2019
    My apologies if this has already been asked here, but has there been any word on when we might get a Dial of Destiny novelization, or on why we have not so far? @DarthInternous , would this fall under your jurisdiction at Del Rey? Not sure if it would (as it's not strictly Star Wars) or even if it is, whether it might be classified, so to speak, but any light you could shed on this would be most welcome.

19. KyleKartan

Feb 4, 2004
    I am still holding out for a Indy 5 Score CD. It gets traded at discogs for 200 $....are they crazy?! its a CD!!

20. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    JW won academy awards for Fiddler, Jaws, SW, E.T., and Schindler's List.

And nominated for like 50 others including DoD. I think he should have won for Raiders over Vangelis, no offense.

KyleKartan and PCCViking like this.
  21. DarthInternous

DarthInternous Editor - Del Rey Star Wars star 3 VIP

Feb 7, 2017
    No plans for us (RHW/Del Rey) to do one. I would imagine that if Lucasfilm were going to, they already would have - even delayed post release. Releasing any official film novelization more than a year post release really doesn't make any sense to me, so I'd be surprised if there were one.

KyleKartan and QuinlanSolo like this.
  22. QuinlanSolo

QuinlanSolo Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 17, 2019
    Roger that; makes sense. Thanks!

23. Happy Sando

Happy Sando Jedi Master star 4

Jun 23, 2023
    I watched Dial of Destiny for a second time earlier today, with my Dad who hadn't seen it before. He nodded off a couple times and didn't think much of it. I felt it held up a little better second time around, but it's still a very mixed bag. I honestly think it should've ditched the prologue and been set entirely in 1969 (well... okay, except until it wasn't, but you know what I mean) with brief flashbacks peppered throughout, as a staggered series of revelations whenever necessary. Might have helped keep the pace and runtime tighter, and therefore made the story a bit more engaging.

That's the kindest critical note I have. The others I'll keep to myself, 'cause I don't wanna clog up the internet with its billionth rant. Ultimately, I won't begrudge anybody for giving Harrison Ford one last crack of the whip. His performance is flawless throughout. Give 'em hell, Indiana Jones!

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  24. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I could go with this movie being a bit tighter. I love the opening and ending, its the 2 hours in the middle that gets draggy. And Indy movies really shouldn't drag

25. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003

So did I. ;)

I did feel the time travel thing was a bit of a believability stretch...but I just keep reminding myself that it's no different really than magical rocks, ghosts coming out of the ark, eternal life from the holy grail (as long as you chose wisely), or even aliens. Every time in DoD I was like "whaaatt?" (which wasn't often really, thankfully) I just reminded myself of all of that.

Ultimately I thought it was great-not the best of course but a solid installment in the series. JW's score was equally solid. It didn't have the memorable themes LC or Raiders did (the LC score is one of my favorite film scores of all time), but it was definitely a great Indiana Jones style score.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2024 at 1:06 PM