main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Interregnum (Post-The Last Command Action/Drama | Luke/Mara, Wedge | Epic) [Complete]

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Bel505, Sep 12, 2020.

1. Bel505

Bel505 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jul 4, 2006
    A hefty chunk of a Book 2 has been written! But it won't be released anytime soon, I'm afraid.

Thank you so much for reading and for your comment! It means a whole lot. :D

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  2. Bel505

Jul 4, 2006
    I'm updating this one more time because of the new Cover Art!

[​IMG]

This wonderful art was created by iisabelinski! You can find her other Star Wars art on Tumblr, at https://iisabelinski.tumblr.com.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2021
    Gabri_Jade likes this.
  3. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    I love it so much! Our girl wearing the Alliance Starbird [face_love] [face_love] [face_love] And another vote in favor of checking out iisabelinski's art, she's amazing [face_love]

SnubJockey and Bel505 like this.
  4. Bel505

Jul 4, 2006
    We have begun posting the sequel to Interregnum! Chapter One of Interregnum II: The New Order is now available on AO3, fanfiction.net, and here on theforce.net!

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  5. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Having spammed your alerts with countless 'likes' (which is entirely your fault, your story has many chapters and I was binge-reading :p) I'm finally here to leave a review.

The short version of what I have to say is that I am Just. In. Awe.

You mention in your opening post that you intended this story to be a Zahn-style continuation of his TTT, and that's exactly how it reads (with a sprinkling of X-Wing spirit for good measure). I was so engrossed in the story that I was often puzzled, when taking a break from reading, that this wasn't a printed book where I could insert a bookmark.

One aspect that, I believe, makes this story work so well is that, while it's an AU, it doesn't stray miles away from the Legends post-TLC narrative. It's an entirely credible continuation of that novel, and you insert various Legends characters so artfully in the story that every twist and turn of the plot makes perfect sense. This applies to the various Imperials or near-Imperials (Pellaeon, Vorru, Tavira) but also to Kam and Kyp. The moment Kessel was mentioned I expected Kyp to turn up, but I was completely mystified by the Tevas-kaar until the reveal, and I literally pumped my fist when I realised what you were doing.

I can't really go into details of what I liked about this story without writing a novel myself, but here a few titbits that stood out. Mara and Iella working together: yes, a million times yes. I didn't know I needed this in my life, but now I do. Also, Mara and Madine. The sleuthing around the Imperial Palace, and Mara not having revealed all her secrets yet to NRI. Everything about Fliry Vorru and the Drall slicer. The sense of the Empire falling apart, with all the Imperials and former Imperials stabbing each other in the back and manipulating each other. The domestic scenes at the Solo residence and Han in the kitchen (!!!) I could go on and on, but you get the point.

I see that you already posted a complete sequel, which I obviously intend to read. Am I correct in guessing that there will be a third novel to round off the lot? I'm asking this to give myself a timeframe to read Interregnum II, because I want to be around and read Interregnum III as you publish it.

6. Bel505

Jul 4, 2006
    [:D]

Thank you so much! And don’t feel bad about the spamming of the likes — I like that actually, because it tells me that someone is reading it!

Yes, Interregnum 2 is done (although I haven’t posted to TFN the collection of missing moments for that story yet). And Interregnum 3 is in progress (it’ll be about as long as the other two, and it’s approximately 2/3rds written itself); I currently expect to begin posting Interregnum 3 sometime in March, but depending on whether I keep struggling to find time to write, I may just post a prologue and then delay another month to really get going.

And… well, when I started Interregnum 1, I had clear ideas for big picture plots for 4 novels, and writing Interregnum 2 and plotting 3 has given my coauthor and I an idea for an Interregnum 5. But all that is aspirational; one novel at a time.

Thank you so much for reading, your likes and your comments! [face_love]

7. Thumper09

Thumper09 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    I'd been meaning to read this story for a while now and recently carved out the time to do it. And I'm so, so glad I did.

My very first introduction to the EU was TTT and the X-wing series, and those became my default baseline for what I consider to be the SW EU in terms of style, characters, and plot. I mention that because when I say that this story felt like the most seamless, natural continuation of that baseline grouping, I want you to know that they're not idle, superficial words. Before I started reading this, I figured I would read a couple chapters here, a couple chapters there until finishing. I ended up binge-reading it in a much shorter-than-expected time because it felt so comfortable, like slipping into a cozy blanket of rightness and familiarity, that I frankly got hooked on.

I wish I would have read this as it was posted to give a more detailed accounting of all the bits and pieces that I loved throughout the chapters, but since I missed the boat I'll keep this at a general overview level.

I really enjoyed seeing a lot of the lesser-known characters included here, like Atril and Rogriss. Atril is awesome, and I have a soft spot for Rogriss. Your characterization of Tavira was spot-on, and that (plus seeing Plourr, Nrin, and some others) made me want to reread the X-wing comics again-- it's been too long. I loved how you wrote Iella, who is doubly awesome, and it was lots of fun seeing her work with Mara and those two getting to know each other.

I really liked seeing how Mara is learning who Mara is, and not the Emperor's Hand. That's a hard, lengthy process, and her progression in the story felt very natural and realistic as she sorts everything out, especially these pesky things called "friendship" and "affection." :p I'm glad she has an increasing circle of support, and now one very strong source of support in Luke.

I also really liked your insights into the characters. The one that really stuck out for me was Mara's early thoughts about how Luke so fervently and optimistically hoped he would overcome his obstacles and things would work out. That's a fundamentally wonderful observation about Luke that I haven't heard put into words like that before but which makes absolutely perfect sense for him.

You did an amazing job writing the Rogues, from the banter to the camaraderie to the heavy emotions to the straight-up action scenes. Another thing that struck me was how well you balanced and intertwined all the different aspects of the story the whole time, whether it was an action scene above Ukio or an infiltration scene on Kessel or a dinner party on Coruscant, and I admit that I'm envious of how you were able to juggle all those balls and make it feel so seamless and paced so well. :)

My final comment is that I hope in the sequel that Madine has created a formal support group for ex-Imperials, because he seems to be darned good at it. :)

Excellent, excellent story! =D==D=

Bel505, Chyntuck and Gabri_Jade like this.
  8. SnubJockey

SnubJockey Jedi Master star 1

Jan 23, 2009
    Aw thank you! Always nice to get reviews, especially shouting out things we wanted to read ourselves, but didn't have, so we wrote it! We don't have an Ex-Imperial support group, but we DID write a Clone support group in our Oneshot published April 1

Thumper09 and Chyntuck like this.
  9. Bel505

Jul 4, 2006
    These extended reviews are incredibly satisfying to read, so thank you so much for taking the time to write it out! A lot of what your point to here were huge, central objectives of the first Interregnum -- it had to explore Mara in the immedate-post TLC period (though we did set it out a year so it's not too immediate), it had to have the Rogues and Luke together again (and I really wanted an excuse to bring Plourr back briefly), it had to have Iella and Mara solving a mystery together and becoming friends, and most importantly it had to feel like an appropriate, seamless continuation of TTT. It really warms my heart to know you think we did all this well!

Thumper09 likes this.
  10. ViariSkywalker

ViariSkywalker Chosen One star 4

Aug 9, 2002
    I know I’ve already started replying to this over on AO3, but I figured I’d cross-post some of my comments here because your work deserves it and I want to bump this story for everyone to see, and because we’re doing a review challenge this month over in Resource and Mira said I should cross-post my comments on the boards to get credit. :p [face_whistling] Please don’t feel like you have to reply to all or any of these, as I know you both have already done so on the other site. ;)

Ch. 1

Like I said on AO3, I've kinda been avoiding this story for about three years now, ever since Gabri gave it a glowing recommendation and told me I needed to read it. What can I say, your assured writing and command of the overall lore and all the fleet junkie details were pretty intimidating for someone who, at the time, was trying to finish her own AU epic (and taking way too long to do so, and losing confidence on the regular as a result). Writer brains are funny things, aren't they? :p Anyway, I'm finally making good on my promise to read what I already know is going to be a fantastic series from a pair of fantastic writers. Normally I would love to quote all the parts that I like, but since I'm so far behind and trying to catch up, my goal is to at least leave a comment after every chapter, however brief that comment might be. As for this chapter, I should probably also admit that I've never read any of the X-wing novels (I know, I know), and am therefore unfamiliar with characters like Tavira and Vorru; but you painted such a vivid portrait of every character introduced that it hardly mattered. Some stand out parts included Tavira's "make it spectacular" and Vorru's entire introspection about Iella, as well as his takeover of Kessel at the end. And because I have occasionally lurked over the years, I'm pretty sure I know the identity of the Tevas-kaar, and I look forward to seeing how his storyline plays out. Life being what it is, I can't promise I'll get through this particularly quickly, but I'm going to try!

Ch. 2

I'm sure I'm repeating something you've heard countless times from countless readers, but this entire battle read as if straight from one of the EU novels. I especially liked how you handled the part where Guisarme intervened to save Agonizer; Pellaeon's POV was so immersive here that I actually felt a little glad that they got away. A little. Sort of. :p

I enjoyed the contrast between Pellaeon and Rogriss in this chapter. Rogriss is another character I recognize in name only, and have no real understanding of his character, so this was an excellent introduction. Even though on the surface, he and Pellaeon both have that "been around since the waning days of the Republic, believes totally in the Empire but doesn't generally like to participate in its more obvious atrocities (unless we really, really have to, then it's probably okay)" vibe, Rogriss strikes me as being more self-aware than Pellaeon, and possibly harboring some regrets that have little to do with the loss of Thrawn, if that makes sense?

I think my favorite part was the description of the painting, "Peregrine." I'd completely forgotten about the Corellian legend until now (I'm definitely due a reread of TTT soon), and the description of the art, coupled with Rogriss's response to it, was surprisingly poignant? I can't say I particularly like Pellaeon as a person - ambivalent is probably more accurate - but... I think I like Rogriss? I'm interested to see how my opinion of him develops over the course of the story.

Ch. 3

The back-and-forth between the crew of the Wild Karrde was great, and I enjoyed seeing Mara through Karrde's eyes here - just as I enjoyed seeing Leia through Mara's. I'm always a sucker for depictions of the Skywalker family dynamics and the parallels and contrasts between its members, especially when seen from an outside perspective. Mara's musings on the similarities between Leia and Vader, and the differences between the twins - how Leia's surety stems from her own self-confidence and strength of will, whereas Luke hopes - were all excellent, and I loved reading them.

Alas, I feel like half of my comments on this story are going to be me telling you guys how woefully unfamiliar I am with characters that many other readers would probably consider to be pillars of the EU. :p I'll try not to repeat myself too much on that score. General Cracken is a character I know of and have seen referenced in novels and fanfic, but don't really know much about, and once again, you've done a great job of introducing him here. The verbal fencing match between him and Karrde was very well crafted, and now all I can think is that I'm glad I don't work in any field where I have to be that sharp and calculating all the time. Another great chapter, and I'll be back soon with more!

Bel505 and Gabri_Jade like this.
  11. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    What a read. Finally finished it being a lover of all that is EU and with the Rogues and my favorite EU character Corran Horn in it.

12. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I’m going to have to respond to this one chapter at a time, especially since I’ve missed this entire thing somehow. I’m glad to see the dramatis personae, as I’m a huge fan of Bel Iblis and this is in exactly the timeframe where I’d want to see more. Tavira fics aren’t plentiful enough and I enjoy your take on her already. The opening was very Zahnian, no complaints here. The assessment of the Imperial aesthetic by various characters reminded me of why I liked the insights and experiences of Pellaeon from the start of the Thrawn storylines. I’m already slightly impatient to read the Skywalkers and solos as well. :)

SnubJockey and Bel505 like this.
  13. ViariSkywalker

ViariSkywalker Chosen One star 4

Aug 9, 2002
    Ch. 4

This is all so good! I love the Leia & Mara interactions as much as the L/M ones, and all three of them feel completely true to their characters. I've only known a small handful of writers who are able to write Mara's vulnerability - and her deep-seated desire to keep that vulnerability hidden from others - realistically and without making her OOC, and you guys are definitely among their number. Her scene with Leia was excellent, and it was great to see the tentative first steps toward a true and lasting friendship... but it was especially great as a contrast to Mara's interactions with Luke throughout the rest of the chapter. To see Mara's wary tension fade in Luke's presence, and to see just how effortlessly comfortable they already are with each other, was wonderful. (This is so how things should have gone post-TTT; seeing it play out here so naturally only served to hammer that home.)

I was also intrigued by the mentions of the Dark Woman and Ranik Solusar, but you struck right at my heart with the mention of Siri. Siri! *sobs* And that stubbornly determined expression on her face in the holo... seriously, how very dare you. My 13yo JA-loving self is not all right.

Oh my gosh, what else can I praise? How about the overall atmosphere of the museum, the comparison of the Jedi wing to a mausoleum, the descriptions of Palpatine's lingering stain in the Force, how Luke and Mara both sense it and react to it, and then how they both sense and perceive and react to each other, like actual rays of light amid the darkness. The banter and the camaraderie and the quiet discussion about what a Jedi is, and what a Jedi is supposed to be. How Luke is so smitten it's ridiculous, but also he's just lonely even in proximity to the people he loves and cares about, because for all their love and support, this burden is his, and he has no one he can truly share it with. Well, not yet anyway. But hopefully soon. [face_batting]

Ch. 5

Ooh, I loved getting the Tevas-kaar's perspective of the battle! I wasn't sure whether we'd see things from his POV or if he would remain a complete mystery. Like I said, I'm fairly sure I know who he is because I peeked in on this story on the boards when you were a bit further along with it, but I do enjoy seeing how you're handling the gradual doling out of information about him. That fleeting memory is almost certainly of Vader; don't worry, I don't expect confirmation of it yet. ;)

The build-up to the battle was executed really well. I liked how you started out with Wedge and the NR, then transitioned back to Vorru and Tavira. And I loved the dramatic irony of that moment when Navarian brushes off the malfunctioning starboard shields, while Vorru cannily observes that threats lurk in unexpected places. (OH HAI THERE WEDGE.) Speaking of Vorru, I found myself increasingly intrigued by him, and was surprised and impressed that he climbed down into the crew pit to address the shield issue.

I'm skipping around a bit, but back to the Tevas-kaar - what is the deal with him and Tavira? What does she have on him? Or who does she have on him? I want to knooow...

Also Wedge thinking and worrying about Iella was adorable. [face_love]

I guess I reviewed this chapter backward. :p Can't wait to find out who is holed up in that super secret prison…

Ch. 6

I'll say it again - you guys rock at crafting and writing these action-oriented scenes. It doesn't matter, space combat, ground combat, blasters, lightsabers... all of it is so clear and easy to follow, and thrilling as well! And I enjoyed getting to know some of the less-familiar-to-me Rogues better. I wasn't expecting to see some of the squadron take the fight to the ground, so that was an exciting development, particularly once Tavira and company emerged from the prison and began trading fire with the Rogues. I was also weirdly glad to see Vorru take charge on Invidious when Navarian froze and faltered. It was great seeing both sides of the battle, how each side responded to the other. It all felt very fluid and realistic, not like I was reading something contrived.

I have no idea what the deal is with the Drall they busted out of prison, but I'm eager to see who he is and why Vorru wants him. I don't think I exactly like Vorru the way I already like Rogriss, but I'm definitely intrigued by his character and want to know more about him and his plans. You guys do such a great job of conveying the weight of history and backstory with each of these characters. It makes for thoroughly engrossing reading. I'll be diving into more asap!

14. Bel505

Jul 4, 2006
    Corran is definitely an important character for us, though he plays a bigger role in some stories than in others. We have plans for him... thanks for reading!

@ViariSkywalker thanks for posting the in-depth review here! We appreciate it!