main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Into the Black - a Star Wars/Serenity fic (OT) - Update 02/03

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Miana Kenobi, Mar 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kevin_Solo

Kevin_Solo Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 22, 2007
    Good to see a new update from you, Miana!=D= It's amusing that it's one of two current SW/Firefly crossovers in this forum. :)

I liked this bit:

They almost had been doomed when they ran up a hallway and found a bridgeless-room. Luke was going to shoot the controls to lock the door, but was stopped by Leia, who quickly pressed several buttons to extend the bridge. Mal covered them and picked off two troopers coming up behind them, then he and Luke took out the four on the other side.

I'd always thought that Luke was an idiot to have blasted the controls without looking first.:oops: I loved River's analysis of the six guards:

River spotted six guarding all angles of the ship, two more guarding the blast door around the corner. One two were paying attention; One guarding the door was asleep standing, one was letting his mind wander and humming a song to himself, another was thinking of his wife, and the last was in bad need of a toilet.

[face_laugh]

Other things are happening the same as before, including Kenobi's duel with Vader. Interesting to see that from River's point of view:

Something pulled at River?s mind. Through the blast door, an old man in a tattered brown cloak was dueling with the man that had haunted River?s visions. Their weapons were unlike anything she had seen before; swords made of pure light. The man paused in his dueling long enough to flicker his eye over at the two of them.

River?s mind and heart began to swell, as if an invisible warm breeze was pushing through her. It was as if the voice that was constantly in her head was finally making itself established. A different voice; one of a kindly old man spoke gently. ?Learn, River. Go with Luke and learn.?

Very good!=D= I can see that being quite in character with the Ben we know. And he also tells her about Anakin:

Obi-Wan, her mind gently whispered. In the slightest margin of a second, images flashed before her eyes of a young man with a kind smile, standing beside another man with darker hair. The younger man?s smile faded, then his skin burnt and his body became black.

I wonder if she noticed how handsome the 'young man' was before he was burnt? o_O

A nice bit of dialogue here that's very much in character for the crew of the 'Serenity':

?He would have gone back for us!?

?Captain said he had a way off,? Zoe was calmly arguing back.

?Yeah, but since when does what Mal plans actually happen?? Jayne countered.

?You see? He could be hurt! He needs our help!?

?Kaylee, this ain?t helping,? Wash called over his shoulder.

[face_laugh]Good to see that everyone got off the Death Star:

There was a moment of silence before a strange voice replied. ?You Mal and River?s ship??

The rest of the crew silenced and huddled around Wash. ?Yes. Do you have the rest of our crew??

?Well I?ve got five extra passengers who ain?t paying a fair, so must be. Hold on a sec; Mal?s heading up to the cockpit.?

That sounds like Han all right!:D And there are six TIE fighters following. I'm presuming that they're going to be sacrificed as per the original time line.[face_mischief]

2. Lilith Demodae

Lilith Demodae Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 1999
    Oh wow! THis is fantastic! I only discovered this last night and I've been reading frantically to catch up. Please, put me on your PM list!

3. Cypher18

Cypher18 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 1, 2001
    Same here. Love this story so far, appreciate if you put me on the pm list as well. Thanks!!!!

4. Amidolee

Amidolee Jedi Master star 5

Jan 8, 2000
    YAY! Updates are fun! It's a shame Obi never got to train River any. Then again, he could always come back as Blue Ben. Somehow I think River would love being taught by a ghost.

5. LadyLunas

LadyLunas Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 31, 2005
    *squee* An update!

Well, now that they're off the Death Star, we have two ships trying to escape from TIE fighters, one of which is practically unarmed. This should be interesting.

Looking forward to your next post!

6. Independence1776

Independence1776 Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 3, 2006
    An update! [face_dancing]

Luke was going to shoot the controls to lock the door, but was stopped by Leia, who quickly pressed several buttons to extend the bridge. Yes! Leia was able to react fast enough this time!

They soon had come across the bunker where Solo?s ship was docked. They paused briefly to scout out the troopers present. River spotted six guarding all angles of the ship, two more guarding the blast door around the corner. One two were paying attention; One guarding the door was asleep standing, one was letting his mind wander and humming a song to himself, another was thinking of his wife, and the last was in bad need of a toilet. [face_laugh]

Mal arched an eyebrow at her then moved next to her side. He crouched down to her height, looking out over her shoulder. ?All right, Albatross. What do you see??
    ?Too many eyes. The ones around the corner will sound the alarm. Guns; fire; death. No escape.?
    Mal clucked his tongue. ?Huh. Just the sort of optimistic news I was looking for.?
    ?Diversion,? River whispered.
    Uh-oh. I think I know what that diversion is.

?Not yet?? Solo didn?t sound too pleased. His voice immediately went back to his sarcastic tone. ?What, are we just going to wait here for them to walk away??
    Then, to everyone?s amazement, all of the stormtroopers turned and began walking away.
    Apparently!

Something pulled at River?s mind. Through the blast door, an old man in a tattered brown cloak was dueling with the man that had haunted River?s visions. Their weapons were unlike anything she had seen before; swords made of pure light. The man paused in his dueling long enough to flicker his eye over at the two of them. I love this description.

River?s mind and heart began to swell, as if an invisible warm breeze was pushing through her. It was as if the voice that was constantly in her head was finally making itself established. A different voice; one of a kindly old man spoke gently. ?Learn, River. Go with Luke and learn.? Obi-Wan!

Obi-Wan, her mind gently whispered. In the slightest margin of a second, images flashed before her eyes of a young man with a kind smile, standing beside another man with darker hair. The younger man?s smile faded, then his skin burnt and his body became black. Eep. A warning?

And then he saw her.
    River felt his dark eyes fix on her, filling her with fear. It was the darkness; it had found her. She could barely hear Leia yelling at Luke that it was too late, the young man firing his weapon in rage at the troopers that were now shooting back at them. The dark man began walking toward them, River beginning to shake.
    Uh-oh. Move! Run! Don't just stand there.

River snapped her eyes to Mal. ?Coming. Six.?
    It took Mal a moment, but he finally took her meaning. ?They chasing us??
    River shook her head. ?Not us. Serenity.?
    I don't like that. The Falcon at least has a fighting chance.

The argument is perfectly in character. :)

?Well I?ve got five extra passengers who ain?t paying a fair, so must be. Hold on a sec; Mal?s heading up to the cockpit.? [face_laugh]

Wash finally looked down at what the blinking computer had been telling him. Growing steadily closer, six odd dots were closing in on them.
    ?Oh go se.?
    Precisely.

Wonderful job! I really love this fic, and don't mind waiting months for the next update. It's always worth it. :D

7. jade51999

jade51999 Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    I didn't reply (shame on me!)

My stars so River is going to become Luke's apprentice huh? Niiiiiccceeee....I love how her untrained abilities are already at work to shape the story.

Amazing.

8. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Mal arched an eyebrow at her then moved next to her side. He crouched down to her height, looking out over her shoulder. ?All right, Albatross. What do you see??

?Too many eyes. The ones around the corner will sound the alarm. Guns; fire; death. No escape.?

Mal clucked his tongue. ?Huh. Just the sort of optimistic news I was looking for.?

Just love the dialog. [face_love]

River?s mind and heart began to swell, as if an invisible warm breeze was pushing through her. It was as if the voice that was constantly in her head was finally making itself established. A different voice; one of a kindly old man spoke gently. ?Learn, River. Go with Luke and learn.?

Awwww, I can so see this happening. Obi-Wan would want to be able to tell her so much but under the circumstances... :(

Yikes, the Firefly are split up. Hope they find their wasy back together.

Wonderful Post Miana.

9. EmpressJade

EmpressJade Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 9, 2005
    Incredible sense of atmosphere, between the characters and of the scene between Luke and River watching the duel between Obi-Wan and Vader Miana!

?No!?

Luke?s scream brought River out of her trance. Where Obi-Wan had been standing, a pile of clothes fell to the ground. River felt the warm breeze send an icy pick through her heart, causing her to gasp.

And then he saw her.

River felt his dark eyes fix on her, filling her with fear. It was the darkness; it had found her. She could barely hear Leia yelling at Luke that it was too late, the young man firing his weapon in rage at the troopers that were now shooting back at them. The dark man began walking toward them, River beginning to shake.

I really liked the how the mind of River is written, great insight of her visions of a young Obi-Wan and that of Anakin.:)
    Han and crew managed to escape the Death Star in one piece with half of Mal's crew, I'm guessing the next chapter will be a blast if both the Falcon and Serenity's team would work together against those incoming TIE fighters...can't wait for the next one!:D Great, enoyable stuff! =D=

10. Paladin3030

Paladin3030 Jedi Youngling

May 27, 2005
    I hope you have a mailing list because I want to get on it.:D

The Falcon will be doing most of the fighting remember Serenity don't have any guns or shields (yet[face_devil])

11. Darth_Karkistos

Darth_Karkistos Jedi Youngling

Mar 22, 2008
    I notice that you writing is getting better as this story progressess. When can we expect to see the next update.

12. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Sorry for the wait, guys! School's busy as ever. I have the next post planned out, just not written just yet. I'll definitely try and get it up soon!

13. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Looking forward to it.

14. Fanficfan

Fanficfan Jedi Master star 3

Jul 12, 2005
    At the risk of sounding like a pushy, impatient, annoying non-posting author...
    Whatever happened to that next post? I was really looking forward to it. And the one after it. And the one after that... So on and so forth.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.