main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Iran — now discussing the nuclear deal and Congress

Discussion in 'Community' started by KnightWriter, Jun 14, 2009.

1. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    Not imposing sanctions in 2009 was the right choice - it's now been established Iran ended its potential military nuclear explorations in 2003, one year after IAEA took them to task.

2. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I think we can say that in contrast to Bush/Trump, the Obama Administration moved away from a program of public antagonism and towards one based on interest/outcomes-based diplomacy that allowed issues to move along separate tracks. In the first place, it certainly clears the low bar of being preferable to the alternative. Also, though I think that this approach does substantially reduce the likelihood that this will be used as leverage for more sanctions. That doesn't really serve any purpose, and can only scuttle the negotiations already underway.

3. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    Only after spending four years deepening public antagonism, and antagonizing allies by imposing US sanctions on them as well...

4. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Not flailing around like a concussed gorilla at every country that even somewhat defies the US-led global order. It's a strange way to frame it, as though the US is forced to be an imperial power dictating its terms to a country halfway around the planet. Leave Iran to sort out its own internal problems and don't "help" by depriving the population of medical supplies.

5. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    I think Obama's approach was a better one, since with Iran nuclear deal, it allowed not only to lift up gradually restrictions and sanctions on Iran's economy, but it also showed the incompetence of the Ayatollah's regime failing to live up to its promise of better life conditions for the people, since the regime could no longer hide itself behind the U.S.'s sanctions on Iran since a nuclear deal has been reached. Remember back when, before Trump came to power and scrap the deal, women back then, once again, tried to challenge the regime by removing publicly their hijab and get filmed and photographed?

Last edited: Sep 27, 2022
  6. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Look, I think you can make the argument that sanctions aren't effective and maybe do more harm than good. I don't think you can say we should sit back and remain completely silent when human rights abuses occur. Simply speaking out about it isn't imperialism.

7. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    You're the only one talking about " simply speaking out."

8. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    So I have come to realize just how many of my University's professors are Iranian. There are at least 4 professors who came from Iran. The reason I bring it up is cause my professor was talking about the protests for like 30 minutes. I know that the diaspora is pretty big all things considered

9. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    A man was short and killed for celebrating team US’s victory over Iran.

honestly I am shocked that the protests are still going on

10. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Is there no end to height-related hate crimes...?

Darth_Accipiter and CT-867-5309 like this.
  11. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Shot. **** me. Every time.

12. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    Interesting article in The Atlantic making the case that the US doesn't understand what is going on in Iran
    https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/a...lity-police-abolished-protests-strike/672376/

mnjedi likes this.
  13. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    The US usually doesn’t understand things unless it’s about Russia

14. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 6

Feb 2, 2015
    Yesterday a drone swarm attack targeted Iran. WSJ is reporting Israel is the culprit. Waiting on corroborating reports. These nations have a long history of trading blows without actually going to war, particularly when Israel is the attacking party, so war seems unlikely, but this is news to watch nonetheless especially with all the recent internal turmoil in Iran.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2023
  15. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    This might be in response to the recent violence in Israel from the Palestinians. Israeli intelligence will likely claim that Iran was behind it, an association I’m not sure I will believe, despite the animosity between the two countries. The new Israeli government is likely itching for a fight.

16. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Israel will gladly stick a finger in Iran’s eye . And if you don’t think Israel won’t try literally anything to stop Iran from getting Nukes your mistaken

17. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Why does Israel get to attack other countries and it not be an act of war?

Point Given likes this.
  18. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 6

Feb 2, 2015
    It should be. But Iran prefers to take it on the chin. The two countries are not exactly neighbors and Israel has a massive technological advantage in defensive capabilities with their domestic Iron Dome air defense and an offensive advantage from F-35s and F-15s purchased from the West. A hot war would not go well for Iran. Instead Iran bides its time and strikes back using its extensive network of proxy militants it supports surrounding Israel.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2023
    Lordban likes this.
  19. Vaderize03

Oct 25, 1999
    Good question. We all know the answer is grounded in a crock-pot mashup of geopolitics, religious discrimination and the all-important petrodollar. Also, America hates Iran, so Israel gets a pass because of what was stated above.

20. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Nah, Israel gets a pass from the USA because it is Israel, not because the US hates Iran. The US never really criticsises Israel even if Israel does something that goes completely against US-interests.

21. Vaderize03

Oct 25, 1999
    Not publicly.

22. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    If you think Netanyahu would tolerate private, behind-the-scenes criticism either, well...

23. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Netanyahu doesn't care about private behind the scenes criticism. It's just criticism, and he knows that whatever US politician is doing the criticizing is too afraid to do it publicly. Because whoever does it publicly gets their name thrown down the mud by AIPAC and ADL and all those lovely organizations.

24. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    If Netanyahu had even the slightest bit of doubt about the morality or wisdom of his actions, he wouldn't be doing what he's doing. Obama kept most his his criticism against Netanyahu private, and look at how Netanyahu responded...he summoned every ounce of his political firepower to support Republicans and Donald Trump.

25. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Iran has now enriched Uranium past what was used for the bomb dropped on Hiroshima. I think war between Iran and Isreal is almost inevitable now. I am hoping and praying it’s not. God trump was a ****ing moron for what he did.