main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Iron Man Movies

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Mar 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    Terrence Howard wanted way too much money so they ditched his ass.

2. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    IIRC he was actually paid more than Robert Downey Jr. in the first Iron Man. But yeah, it bugs me too when they get a different actor.

But like Rhodey says in IM2: "It's me. I'm here. Let's get over it and move on." That message is to the audience as much as it is to Stark.

3. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    Thinking of actor changes, the final scene with Nick Fury implied to me that RDJ might not be Iron Man in the forthcoming Avengers movie. While I would still see the Avengers movie of course, that is a serious, serious blow to my interest.

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I believe RDJ is already contracted for the movie, same for Evans, Cheadle, Scarlett, Sam & Papa Kirk. I think only Norton's participation is in question due to scheduling issues (but that Hulk will be in it, it just remains to be seen how much of Bruce Banner will).

I didn't realize it at first but they actually reshot the "I am Iron man" press conference footage for IM2 because Howard was visible in the original footage (this is most noticeable for the part where Rhodey originally leaned in to whisper "stick to the cards" when RDJ mentions character defects- and Rhodey is no longer there now).

5. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    are you sure it wasn't just digital magic?

6. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    I think you're misreading the scene. Remember that he said "I'll lower my fee if you do me a favor." And then we saw the favor done: having Shandling present the medals.

My reading is that that scene was a little bit of a tease to get fans squirming for a minute as they talk about not having Iron Man in the Avengers, only to say "gotcha" when he turns around and offers to lower his fee.

And given the way Downey has spoken in recent interviews about visiting the set of Thor and feeling like a Marvel "ambassador", I think he's pretty firmly committed.

Though I suppose it is possible that they framed it the way they did so that they have the option of just using Downey in a minor support role in the first Avengers film in case they have trouble doing justice to all the characters and need to narrow their focus.

7. Raven

Oct 5, 1998
    Well, as I read the scene it went something like this (definitely NOT what was actually said):

Fury: Black Widow recommends we use Iron Man, but not Tony Stark.
    Stark: I AM IRON MAN.
    Fury: We'd be happy to have you consult.
    Stark: You couldn't afford me.
    Fury: /shrug
    Start: OK, I'll consult if you'll do me a favor...

I've only seen the movie once so far, so I may be misremembering the scene.

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The dialogue was, at the very least, from a different take in that middle portion than the one used in IM1 as the delivery was slightly different. But I'm fairly certain the one part definitely had to be refilmed because the dialogue overlaps the whisper's visuals. They may have been able to edit around most of it, but rerecording the one part would have been required.

9. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    Nah... The way I saw it (and I certainly could be wrong), they were setting up the fact that Tony will definitely NOT be in charge of the Avengers when the team gets formed. Makes the audience wonder "If Iron Man won't be in charge... then who would be?" Obviously we know that will be Captain America but not everyone who's seen the movies are into comics.

I think it also sets up som nice tension for the Avengers movie. Not being in charge, not being the top dog, isn't something that Tony will like at all.

10. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Who else thinks it's epically awesome that Tony Stark essentially created an entirely new element...almost as a side project. That's normally someone's entire life's work we're talking about!

11. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    I read the scene as them making Stark a consultant until the other team members are ready. Obviously they know of Hulk, Thor crash lands and i imagine they must at least have an indication about Capt. So Tony, as the new consultant goes off to speak to Ross about Project Avenger and get Banner. Colson goes off to get Thor and we can likely assume Fury goes off to get Captain America.

12. Epicauthor

Epicauthor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2002
    That's the way I saw it as well. As I left the theater, I thought "The movies are out of order. TIH comes after IM and IM2." Tony goes to Ross as part of his "consulting" work for SHIELD.

As it stands now, we have:

Captain America
    Iron Man
    Iron Man 2
    The Incredible Hulk
    Thor
    The Avengers

then

Captain America 2?
    Iron Man 3?

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I think it's safe to say Iron Man 3 will come first- at least come out first. Then we'll probably get a couple of the lower-budget Marvel movies.

Captain America 2 probably depends on how well the first one does. If it's a huge hit like Iron Man I'm sure they'll fast track that one to be out next after Iron Man 3.

Well, Howard did all the ground work- Tony just had the tech to create it that Howard lacked.

14. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    I'm not sure they are even angling for a Captain America 2. Captain America 2 will be Cap being in charge of the Avengers. So Avengers is Cap's sequel and time to shine. After all, the Cap movie is subtitled "The First Avenger." I think all their Cap eggs are in the Avengers basket. That's his franchise. There's really no point to the character in the modern day outside the Avengers, IMO.

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I haven't personally read it yet, but I would suspect the Brubaker run would be good 9and the most likely) material to base a modern-set, non-Avengers Cap movie around.

16. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    They'll never do this, but I continually wish they'd leave room for WWII-era Cap sequels. It would be really cool to have ongoing series in multiple time periods.

17. Raven

Oct 5, 1998
    I disagree. The Brubaker run has for the most part been about Bucky more than it has been about Steve Rogers, especially since Rogers died. It's also a set of extremely long story arcs, and I can't really see it translating well into a movie.

Mark Miller's Ultimate's stories seem like a much better fit. The Ultimates actually is pretty much the best Avenger's origin story ever done, IMO. Cut the lineup down slightly to being Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, the Hulk, Black Widow, and maybe Hawkeye. It also gives most of the main characters something to do in the epic finale - Captain America fights the head of the Skrull, later with the help of the Hulk, Thor gets the bomb out, Black Widow mostly just runs around being awesome, Hawkeye serves the same roll as Black Widow but also shoots down the Hulk, Iron Man fights alien space ships, etc.

18. TIEPilot051999

TIEPilot051999 Jedi Master star 7

Mar 27, 2002
    In other words, pretty much all she did in Iron Man 2. ;)

19. Ree

Ree Jedi Master star 5

Jan 25, 2005
    Yes! IT was awesomely, crazily amazing! But then we have no idea how much time passed in the film...

20. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Well.... I just got back from the theater...
    Yeah.

No where near as good as the first.

Total lack of credibility/plausibility with the Hammer Industries CEO. He's a corporate weenie in a suit, but no way is he a CEO. He didn't have what it takes at all. No way was he a rival/competitor/associate to Stark. Don't know if it was the actor or the writer, but someone should have fixed that.

The character bickering stole major mommentum from the pacing and after the 2nd or third run was just annoying.

The fight with Scarlett Johanson... I guess it was supposed to be stylish, but I found the way it was filmed really very annoying. They did some double-exposure/blurr thing to it, which since she's wearing black in an all white environment was really jarring. Maybe it's art photography/magazine vogue style, but it took me completely out of the film and left me totally uninvolved in the scene. What kind of office building has all-white walls, ceilings, and especially floors? That just doesn't make sense. I don't think even "clean rooms" have that. What, is this the AppleStore of office buildings?

As a sequel, this is almost as bad a drop in overall quality as The Mummy2 or PotC2.
    Hopefully the next movie will be better.

21. TIEPilot051999

TIEPilot051999 Jedi Master star 7

Mar 27, 2002
    What amazes me is that he's able to do that despite the fact that Jarvis said it would be impossible.

Or did I miss something?

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Presumably JARVIS meant creating it would be impossible through known methods. Tony was able to figure out a new way.

I think Tony said it was something like 3 weeks.

23. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Now, if I'm creating a particle accellerator in my house, and part of the project involves focusing the flow somehow, I might try using something like... a laser pointer, rather than the machine at full power so that it cuts my building in half. Just a minor thing, but...

Then again, I would have moved my cars way away from the test area before activating a device that might irrepairablly damage them.

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm sorry...but you're not Tony Stark.

;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.