main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Ironies of Star Wars

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by nknx2005, May 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. severian28

severian28 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 1, 2004
    That a man who is spiritually blessed but also mechanically gifted becomes a machine himself is THE main irony of SW. Palpatine needing a Deathstar and just the very idea of needing something like the Deathstar to maintain order as opposed to the very human Jedi doing it is also a major irony. IMHO Lucas MAIN premise was to establish the idea that humanity and technology must balance each other out and never, ever should the scale be tipped one way or the other. A moon shaped planet destroyer is a powerful metaphor of abhorrent, god-complexed spirituality, just as two droids who are inexplicably noble and righteous is a metaphor of how technology can be wonderful.

2. mandragora

mandragora Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2005
    I just picked up on something -- maybe I'm reading too much into it this time. But during the Prequels, the Jedi always seem to choose the option that leads to the worst effects possible when it comes to dealing with Palps manoeuverings. Almost as clumsy as Jar-Jar. And in the end, Obi-Wan and Yoda were forced into exile.

Obi-Wan: "Why were you banished, Jar-Jar?"
    Jar-Jar: "It's a longo talo but small part of it would be, mesa clumsy."
    Obi-Wan: "You were banished because you are clumsy?"

I wonder whether there's more behind these lines than it seems. Having Obi-Wan in this conversation, who had to go into exile himself at the end of ROTS. They were banished because they were clumsy, in a sense.

3. Darth_Rags

Darth_Rags Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 9, 2005
    The clones save the Jedi in Episode II in the arena and in Episode III they wipe the Jedi out.

4. DarthWolvo23

DarthWolvo23 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 30, 2005
    in ep1&2, the sith wanted amidala dead (thru the trade federation & then the separatists)

however in ep3, palps ultimately uses amidala to seduce anakin - something he couldnt have done had she been killed off earlier

5. TheWookiee

TheWookiee Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 8, 2005
    I'll tell you what I think is ironic about Star Wars. It's ironic the fact that the one time where many want alterations (rebellion and yoda scenes back in) to a star wars film, that he releases the thatrical cut!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

6. Winston_Sith

Winston_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 8, 2004
    mandragora wrote:

"I just picked up on something -- maybe I'm reading too much into it this time. But during the Prequels, the Jedi always seem to choose the option that leads to the worst effects possible when it comes to dealing with Palps manoeuverings. Almost as clumsy as Jar-Jar. And in the end, Obi-Wan and Yoda were forced into exile.

Obi-Wan: "Why were you banished, Jar-Jar?"
    Jar-Jar: "It's a longo talo but small part of it would be, mesa clumsy."
    Obi-Wan: "You were banished because you are clumsy?"

I wonder whether there's more behind these lines than it seems. Having Obi-Wan in this conversation, who had to go into exile himself at the end of ROTS. They were banished because they were clumsy, in a sense."

Brilliant!

Almost, or equally as brilliant as the "Jar Jar steps in Pudu" scene", in retrospect.

Every sigle thing Jar Jar Binks says or does HAS a purpose in the Saga, blast you, you Jar Jar Bashers!

In the case of what mandragora pointed out, Jar Jar is the foil of TPM Obi-Wan, but he's the Prototype(for lack of a better word) for ROTS Obi-Wan/Yoda.

Again, BRILLIANT!

I don't even drink Guiness... lol

7. mandragora

May 28, 2005
    Not exactly an irony in the sense of the one above mentioned, but another one of Palpatine's "innocent" sentences:

In TPM: "We are indepted for your bravery, Obi-Wan Kenobi."

Does anyone else have the feeling that this is a threat?

8. mandragora

May 28, 2005
    Luke: "I'm looking for a great warrior."
    Yoda: "Great warrior? Wars not make one great."

Now that is interesting.

It certainly is true for Yoda, who as a result of being a "great warrior" during the prequels ended up living in a slimy mudhole.

Is it true for Sidious? I think the answer is yes and no. His orchestration of the wars during the prequels certainly was the major reason that led him to become Emperor and thus made him great. On the other hand, he wasn't a warrior in the literal sense but rather the one who pulled the strings behind the scenes. In the end, of course, his war against the rebels didn't help much, so in that sense, wars didn't make him great.

9. Darth_Conthhheivable

Darth_Conthhheivable Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 5, 2005
    Pretty sure Yoda, Agen, Saesee, Kit, and Mace think he's a warrior.

10. i_dont_know

i_dont_know Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2005
    I hadn't thought of Yoda's comment in relation to Sidious. It could be seen as a bit spiteful from this point of view.

"Wars not make one great"
    Translation:
    "He has an Empire, but he isn't so great"

heh

11. i_dont_know

i_dont_know Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2005
    Not sure if this is irony, but I think it is funny that many fans complained it was Anakin's fault Obi-Wan and Anakin got taken out by Dooku in Episode 2, because they should have fought him together.

Then we get to Episode 3:
    Obi-Wan:
    This time we will do it together.
    Anakin:
    I was about to say the same thing.

They then fight Dooku together, but Obi-Wan is still taken out quickly, again, and Anakin kills Dooku fighting alone.

How's that for ironic. The teamwork thing didn't seem to matter at all in the end.

12. mandragora

May 28, 2005
    Another one might be Padme's line in TPM:

"Senator, this is your arena."

I find that funny now after having seen Sidious rampaging in the Senate hall in ROTS.

13. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    "Chancellor Palpatine, Sith Lords are our speciality!" - Obi Wan to Palpatine

You can just imagine Palpatine laughing to himself at that very moment.

14. DarthScully

DarthScully Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2001
    The Jedi thinking that for Anakin to bring balance to the Force all he needs to do is to vanquish that which distabilizes the Force: The Sith. What they failed to realize is that the Jedi destabilize the Force first by being lopsided.

15. Rubberdirky

Rubberdirky Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 14, 2005
    I wouldn't say ironic, as much as logical. These fans see past the CGI into the debths of SW. It has little to do with age. Basic story developent was overtly the cornerstone to the OT, that and better music. Now, GL emphasizes what he can do with technology, that he forgets what made the whole thing great. That, in a very small nutshell, is what I see as ironic.

16. lorn_zahl

lorn_zahl Jedi Master star 4

Oct 19, 2002

I think it's ironic that clone trooper's brought the Jedi Posse over to kill Palpatine.

Maybe they should have brought a few? *chuckle*

17. mandragora

May 28, 2005
    - ROTJ -

Emperor to Vader: "Rise, my friend."

later:

Luke to Emperor: "Your overconfidence is your weakness."
    Emperor to Luke: "Your faith in your friends is yours."
    [...] "By now you must know your father can never be turned from the Dark Side!"

still later:

Sidious is thrown down the reactor shaft by his "friend" Vader. "Your faith in your friend is yours!"

18. Rubberdirky

Rubberdirky Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 14, 2005
    Good one!!!!

19. PrinceHector

PrinceHector Jedi Youngling star 2

May 29, 2005
    Obi-Wan saying "Obi-Wan's not dead, not yet!" The way he says "not yet!" comes out as ironic as though he knows what will happen.

"Size matters not" , from Yoda, after everthing in the PT.

20. PalpatineAntikristos

PalpatineAntikristos Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 6, 2002
    ROTS: After a duel, Palpatine, feigning weakness, is released from his handcuffs by a Skywalker. Anakin Skywalker, in an act of compassion, risks his own life to save the life of one near death while simultaneously saving the one who eventually places him in bondage for life, a bodily and mental set of handcuffs, condemned to a possible eternal life of suffering, an eternal life which he wished for, and to spend with, the one he loved and which he was not able to achieve in physical, human form.

ROTJ: Before a duel, Palpatine, feigning weakness, releases a Skywalker from his handcuffs. Anakin Skywalker, in an act of compassion, essentially ends his own life to save the life of one near death while simultaneously killing the one who had placed him in bondage for life, releasing his own body and mind from the handcuffs, achieving an eternal life of spirit, an eternal life with those he once loved, but had once rejected, and which he was not able to achieve in physical, human form.

21. Darth_Pazuzu

Darth_Pazuzu Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2005
    There it is!
    I very recently started a thread on the Prequel board dealing with exactly that very point! I mistakenly assumed that nobody else made this particular observation before, but I guess I just didn't look hard enough!:p

22. mandragora

May 28, 2005
    One of the not so funny ironies:

Obi-Wan: "Why do I sense we've picked up another pathetic life form?"

In a way, that's what Anakin after Mustafar ended up to be.

23. YYZ-2112

YYZ-2112 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2004
    The biggest and most deliberate irony is that when Luke saves Vader from death he saves himself. This was the lesson he was supposed to learn when he failed at the cave on Dagobah. In the end though he realised.

Another cool irony that has just recently been brought to my attention is the background and purpose of Artoo and Threepio. Artoo was in the service of royalty and yet is a blue collar mechanic whereas Threepio was created in a humble slave home on a backwater planet and he's designed for ettiquette and protocol. Each of them come from backgrounds opposite of their purpose on a generic droid class type level.

24. Rossa83

Rossa83 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2005
    I haven't read many of the posts here, so sorry if this has already been posted!

Throughout the PT's we see Anakin losing his lightsaber over and over again. OBW says that he must try not to lose it again. After the Mustafar duel, Anakin has lost it once more - so well, OBW has had enough and takes Anakin's lightsaber:p

It's sort of like, if you can't keep it, you shouldn't have it;)

But it also runs somewhat deeper I think... OBW had given Anakin many many chances, more than the council would have given him... But the latest act Anakin/Vader performed was not possible for OBW to forgive... OBW takes Anakin's Jedi lightsaber (I think!?) and takes it with him...

25. DARTH-SODA

DARTH-SODA Jedi Master star 2

Jun 29, 2005
    in ANH C3PO says "Thank the maker"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.