main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Ironies of Star Wars

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by nknx2005, May 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Ebriated

Darth_Ebriated Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 20, 2002
    Not only does this have nothing to do with irony, but I'm sure it's been mentioned before. However, I haven't read it, so just in case:

Did anyone ever notice that the main nouns of the odd-numbered titles refer to something "bad" and the main nouns of the even-numbered titles refer to something "good"?

I - Menace (bad)
    II - Clones (good in that episode, at least)
    III - Sith (bad)
    IV - Hope (good)
    V - Empire (bad)
    VI - Jedi (good)

Not only that, but each noun could be said to be the opposite of it's other trilogy counterpart:

Menace and Hope
    Clones and Empire (if you consider that the clones are the army of the Republic)
    Sith and Jedi

2. Ironflak

Ironflak Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 25, 2002
    Anakin departs Tatooine to become a Jedi and leaves his mother to remain a slave. Anakin helps restore freedom to the populace of Naboo (Human and Gungan) by destroying the Trade Federation's droid control ship. Inexplicably, the grateful Queen Amidala doesn't immediately send representatives to Tatooine to buy Shmi from Watto, thus freeing her. Because she remains on the dangerous (outside of the Republic) Tatooine, she ends us dying, which leads a vengeful Anakin on a Tusken Raider killing spree. This brings Anakin closer to the Dark Side.

If Amidala had freed Shmi, the way Anakin had freed Amidala and her people, Amidala might have helped prevent Anakin's fall to the Dark Side.

3. Winston_Sith

Winston_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 8, 2004
    Let's be practical about this, shall we?

How could the Queen of (or even the Senator from) Naboo effect any change in an area that was *way* outside of Republic control, in many crucial ways, such as Tattoine? And, if the Queen's entourage sent a gazillion credits (... oh, Watto doesn't like credits, now, does he?) he would want to know *why* she's worth so much to them, and nothing they said about "justice" and "civil rights" and "Anakin needs his mom right now", would make any sense to him, and he would throw them out of the shop, and let the Hutts deal with 'em.

Will the Hutts listen to an edict from the Supreme Chancellor of the Republic; one who has certain *plans* for this little Tatooine slave, don't you know to free his mother? Or will they laugh, loudly, deeply, and boisterously at the gall of some ignorant outlander, trying to tell them *their* business?

Will the Jedi, who want to discourage "attachments" of any kind, send an elite pair of Jedi (and definitely not Kenobi and Skywalker ten years later) to free this unknown slave-woman on some poodoo-hole world that nobody has ever heard of, in order to please the kid that *one* renegade Jedi *believes* to be the 'Chosen One'?

"Oh, I don't think so!!!" - Obi-Wan Kenobi (ROTS)

4. Winston_Sith

Apr 8, 2004
    :::How could the Queen of (or even the Senator from) Naboo effect any change in an area that was *way* outside of Republic control, in many crucial ways, such as Tattoine? And, if the Queen's entourage sent a gazillion credits (... oh, Watto doesn't like credits, now, does he?) he would want to know *why* she's worth so much to them, and nothing they said about "justice" and "civil rights" and "Anakin needs his mom right now", would make any sense to him, and he would throw them out of the shop, and let the Hutts deal with 'em.

Padme's just not as good of a diplomat as she is an "aggressive negotiator" - even the deleted scenes in ROTS prove that.

5. DARTHCLANDESTINE

DARTHCLANDESTINE Jedi Youngling star 3

May 17, 2005
    If Amidala had freed Shmi, the way Anakin had freed Amidala and her people, Amidala might have helped prevent Anakin's fall to the Dark Side

Actually Amidala herself freed her people. When Anakin blasted the droid control ship, the whole battle was just a diversion. The main thing was to get to the palace and get the Viceroy. Also Anakin said that when dreamed that he came and freed ALL the slaves. Amidala's job was to free her people (or die with them). If anyone, it has to be the Jedi to free Shmi, but NO.. why should they tempt Anakin when he has to have no attachments.

Lastly, Anakin told her that he is going to be trained as a Jedi. I think it would be in Anakin's best interests to succeed, instead of making him lose that chance. That's also why Padme also rejects Anakin's love initially. She wanted him to become a Jedi "your studying to become a Jedi..." By then her mother happens to have been sold and freed.

6. Winston_Sith

Apr 8, 2004
    Brilliant.

Padme wants the best for her 'little boy from Tatooine'.

Still, I think I'm correct in thinking that Padme loves "aggressive negotiations" more than "diplomacy".

That's why she shows off her lovely smile in the arena.

She hates the quagmire of (Sidious') beaurocracy as much as Anakin does.

7. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    Some of these might have been covered. But I'll strike why the iron's hot:

- Qui Gon, a Jedi committed to the Living Force, and compassionate for all living things, ultimately broke little Anakin's spirit when he offered him the chance to leave Tatooine. He doomed that little boy and the galaxy. But he also initiated the means to save both.

- When Anakin became a Sith, he became: more enslaved than ever, less powerful than ever, brought death upon his wife and fermented the conditions for a civil war against his "Republic" -- all things he was trying to avoid by becoming a Sith in the first place.

- When Anakin said, "Mom, you say the biggest problem with the universe is that no one helps each other," he was offering a critique of the saga, and it was through helping others that he took the path to becoming a Jedi, and it was through becoming a Jedi that he took the path to becoming a Sith, and it was through becoming a Sith that he caused other people to think twice and help each other, which eventually caused him to go back to being a Jedi -- in fact, more than a Jedi, a luminous being. Everything is interconnected.

8. Winston_Sith

Apr 8, 2004
    DARTH IRONCLAD has taught you well.

I wish I could uderstand him as well as yourself.

9. DarthWolvo23

DarthWolvo23 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 30, 2005
    - When Anakin said, "Mom, you say the biggest problem with the universe is that no one helps each other," he was offering a critique of the saga, and it was through helping others that he took the path to becoming a Jedi, and it was through becoming a Jedi that he took the path to becoming a Sith, and it was through becoming a Sith that he caused other people to think twice and help each other, which eventually caused him to go back to being a Jedi -- in fact, more than a Jedi, a luminous being. Everything is interconnected.

I don't see anything ironic here, but it is still one of the best paragraphs I have read.

I'm not sure this is ironic either, but relating to your first point about Qui-Gon caring for all living things. Does it bug anyone else when he calls Jar Jar "brainless" ?

10. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005
    Thanks, Darth Wolvo. :)

The irony is kinda wedged in the middle there. He extolls Shmi's own wisdom and eventually helps Sidious oppress and destroy life throughout the galaxy. Contrast, for example, that scene at the dinner table in Ep I, where Anakin says those very words, to Vader holding Leia back, as Tarkin gives the order to annihilate Alderaan, in Ep IV.

Yes.

But Qui Gon soon realises his error -- even though he rebukes Jar Jar at several points after that. In Qui Gon's case, it shows his own impulsivity, and shortcomings, when it comes to his relationship and trust in the Living Force. On a broader level, it shows how even the greatest of Jedi can still have limitations and prejudices. I quite like it.

11. X-Wing-Ace

X-Wing-Ace Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 12, 2006
    It's ironic that Lucas said that he'd only make the PT on the condition that he could show the Clone Wars, then he only shows the start and the finish of the CW without actually showing the war itself.

12. Master_Mace_Windows

Master_Mace_Windows Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 18, 2005
    Vader's signature was the Force Choke, and he died because his RESPIRATORY system malfunctioned <-- he CHOKED to death.

13. DarthMateous

DarthMateous Jedi Master star 4

Aug 1, 2002
    Fantastic observation!

Here's one:

In ROTS Palpatine calls Yoda arrogant, while Yoda warns Sidious that his faith in Vader ("Rise my friend") is misplace.

ROTS

DARTH SlDIOUS: Master Yoda, you survived.

YODA: Surprised?

DARTH SlDIOUS: Your arrogance blinds you, Master Yoda. Now you will experience the full power of the dark side.

AND

DARTH SlDIOUS: You will not stop me. Darth Vader will become more powerful than either of us.

DARTH SIDIOUS ignites his lightsaber.

YODA: Faith in your new apprentice, misplaced may be, as is your faith in the dark side of the Force.

In ROTJ Palpatine fails to heed his initial warning to Yoda. Luke warns him that his overconfidence is his weakness, while Palpatine asserts that Luke's weakness is his faith in his friends.

ROTJ

EMPEROR
    Yes...I assure you we are quite safe from your friends here.

Vader looks at Luke.

LUKE
    Your overconfidence is your weakness.

EMPEROR
    Your faith in your friends is yours.

Ironically, it was Palpatine's arrogance AND his faith in Vader that was his undoing. Maybe Palpatine should've listen to his own advice, huh?

14. Pyrogenic

Pyrogenic Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2006
    I posted this in the PT forum, but it was locked:

The films show an interpretational problem with the "prophecy":
    "Bring balance to the force."

"Destroying the Sith" is one interpretation, and is not necessarily correct.
    If someone does destroy the Sith, does that make this prophecy true, or can it just be a coincidence?
    Is there no such thing as luck?
    If I call myself the "Chosen one" and "prophesy" that I will do something, does the fact of my doing so make the PROPHECY true?

Take the meanings of each of those words literally--"bring balance to the force."
    Can you think of any time in the films where THIS actually happens?
    Literally, bringing balance to the force?
    What force? THE? In what situation?
    What kind of balance? Bringing it?

Now, it could all be a coincidence.
    Or it could be the biggest, technically true IRONY I have encountered in a film.
    Think of all the STUFF that happens throughout the six films and why.
    Could it be that the prophecy was true?
    But not from ANYONE'S point of view?
    "Balance to the force" happens--right there. And everyone missed it.

It's silly, it's goofy, and I've hyped it up far too much.
    I've been aware of this for quite some time, and you probably have also.
    I always thought that it was just a thematic motif until I realized that it fits more closely to FACT than anything else...

I want to see if anyone can guess what it is...

Hint: It's all Sebulba's fault.

15. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    I always found it ironic that Palpatine (the Sith Lord that engineered the destruction of the Jedi Order) was the one that confirmed Jedi Knight status on Luke, and thus announcing the return of the Jedi Order.

So be it, Jedi. Classic.

16. Sid_Vader

Sid_Vader Jedi Youngling

Aug 9, 2005
    I always thought the biggest irony in Star Wars had to do with the two lines in my sig. Yoda instructs Luke "Do or do not, there is no try.". Vader's response to Kenobi's "I will do what I must." is "You will try."

17. RamRed

RamRed Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2002
    My pick would be that Anakin's path to Hate is Love.

I don't think it's really ironic. You know the old saying about the "thin line between love and hate".

18. DARTH_MARK-22

DARTH_MARK-22 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 11, 2003
    Hint: It's all Sebulba's fault.

Man, that's really throwing me off.

19. Pyrogenic

Pyrogenic Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2006
    Sebulba doesn't do THAT much...[face_dancing]

20. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005
    - On Anakin's first assignment, he is ordered to travel undercover. After ten years of waiting, his first mission involves not acting or dressing as a Jedi.

- Anakin's first assignment is the protection of Padme. This is also his first "assignment" as a Sith.

21. Master_Shaitan

Master_Shaitan Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2004
    Anakins turn to the dark side to save Padme which results in her death is probably the biggest irony in the saga. Couldn't think of a more glaring one than that!!

22. Mace_Won

Mace_Won Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 21, 2006
    I can't believe that nobody has mentioned this yet, but I think it's kind of ironic how Palpatine says "He was too dangerous to be kept alive" as rationale for Anakin taking Dooku's head off and then later on when Mace is about to do the same to Palps, Mace uses that same rationale for killing Palpatine ("He's too dangerous to be left alive"). I don't know if this falls under ehem's definition of irony, but I thought it was cool of Lucas to show how ambiguous the ethical situation is throughout the entire film.

23. Master_Shaitan

Master_Shaitan Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2004
    Well - to Anakin it seemed to be the same thing. But it was different. Anakin killed out of revenge. Mace went to kill Sidious for the greater good of the galaxy.

24. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005
    Regardless of movites: it is ironic. A Sith Lord uses it to assure a guilt-ridden Jedi, then a Jedi uses the line to explain his actions to that Jedi as he attempts to destroy that Sith Lord.

25. Rossa83

Rossa83 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2005
    That's the many great "ironies" or parables between the PT and the OT also. How what we thought was noble and wise of OBW is basically used by Palpatine to ensnare Anakin.

I think Lucas did a great job in the PT of showing us the greay areas between the black and white reality of the OT.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.