main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT is Vader's birth a mistake of Obi-Wan and Yoda?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Lord Sith Harloxzz, Sep 21, 2017.

1. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    We all have to make our own choices in life. But it's harder for certain people than others. Someone raised in poverty with no good role models and no support structure is more likely to turn to drugs and crime than someone born to a middle-class suburbanite existence in a stable family situation. I, personally, would hesitate to label the former person as being inherently weaker in virtue than the latter.

2. Rickleo123

Rickleo123 Jedi Knight star 3

May 20, 2016
    Whatever you're seriously obviously the only one who thinks Yoda and Luke both wanted to return Anakin to the light side. It's laughable you think that, but I guess your own head canon is whatever it is.

3. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Yes, characters never say what they mean in film dialogue. There is always a hidden meaning.:rolleyes:

4. CLee

CLee Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 18, 2017
    I was critiquing the view of the quote from the book. I guess he was capable of choosing differently (probably, maybe not) and chose wrong but that doesn't mean the context of his choices, including the mistakes and failures others made in bringing about that context, should be ignored. It's not either/or and Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon wanting to focus more on him rather than themselves seems overly self-serving.

5. lord_sidious_

lord_sidious_ Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 19, 2019
    When Yoda tells Luke that he must “confront” Vader, I take it as just a euphemism for “fight to the death with”. He is talking to Vader’s son, after all. And this son just found out that he was lied to about his father’s “death.”

Kenneth Morgan likes this.
  6. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    And defeat Vader *could* (unlikely, but possible) mean "defeat Vader and bring back Anakin."

whostheBossk likes this.
  7. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    Well, given that Kenobi very specifically said that Vader KILLED Anakin then it's not impossible for it to be some sort of Kenobi-ism. Albeit that seems a bit of a reach even so.

8. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    I know this post is almost two years old by now.

I agree with both of you here, and will add my two cents: sometimes someone born in the worst possible situation still manages to rise above that and be a good person, whereas someone born in the best possible situation still turn to crime and drugs. It can happen.

9. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
  10. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Told from the point of view of someone who is looking to blame someone else for his own failures.

11. Merlyn Emerald

Merlyn Emerald Jedi Master star 3

Jan 3, 2019
    Good topic! I always thought the Jedi were to blame for Vader's appearance. Seriously, with such blinkered and authoritarian allies, no enemies are needed. They're like sectarians... They all didn't care about Anakin, no one paid any attention to his situation, and the situation was out of control. Further... Really weird and unpleasant looks like the decision to kill Anakin/Vader, not automatically giving him no chance. Yes, in the third and sixth episodes the same thing happens. Good and bright chorus of the Jedi agree to kill someone. Nice... [face_beatup]

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  12. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I don't go for the notion that the Jedi or even Palpatine created Vader. This happened on the Jedi's watch, certainly, and they could have been more attentive to Anakin's needs. However, the notion that Sidious deserves most of the credit has long been a canard. Anakin made his own choices. I did this to himself. He was selfish due to his possessive nature, his inability to adapt, etc. I choose to view Anakin as a more mature, likable person, as we saw him in TCW. I think Lucas was correct to zero in on Anakin's fixation on Padme when he made ROTS, but his original idea also included Anakin's genuine belief that the Jedi were evil, which was left in the movie during his fight with Obi-Wan. You could chalk this up to his rage over how Yoda would not help him with Padme. I'd like to think that Yoda, Obi-Wan, and perhaps even Mace suspected Anakin's relationship with Padme. However, the Council did use Anakin as a tool for war. That cannot be denied. Anakin was, in many respects, the Jedi who acted like a Sith, and Vader was the Sith who acted like a Jedi.

I believe that Obi-Wan gained more as a person from being Anakin's mentor than Anakin did. I also see that Ahsoka took the good parts of Anakin and the rebellious streak, but she had more in common with Obi-Wan than Anakin in the long run. Anakin could be quite unstable. If he had been more mature with a more philosophical outlook, he would have been able to control his emotions. Sidious gave him a little push. Anakin falling to the dark side was inevitable. We should understand the power of choice, as Vergere would say. Anakin's choices and Vader's choices are what make the character fascinating.

whostheBossk likes this.