main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is Young Indiana Jones chronicles a boring series?

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by antitoxicgamer, Sep 22, 2020.

1. DartJackson

DartJackson Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 26, 2020
    But likewise, the character's vision has changed with the films. The Raiders had a darker perception of the character. In the following films, he was made more noble. Especially with the introduction of the River Phoenix segment.

The series also shows the character differently when he was not yet an archaeologist. But he got to know the world with the great people of the era and that is why he became a man of science. And not because of the benefit as it might seem when watching ROTLA.

Indiana Jones in films is faced with various mystical phenomena. And these are the conventions of the genre. Why can't he be familiar with the historical figures of that era?

In the end, all this can be explained by the fact that the franchise as a whole is fantastic and something similar is possible within its framework.

2. BlueYogurt

BlueYogurt Jedi Master star 4

Aug 26, 2021
    Yeah, but ALL of the historical figures of the period? That's positively Gumpian.

3. TFWBWYA

TFWBWYA Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 21, 2022
    It is one of the most beautifully filmed series I have ever seen. It is a wonderful piece of "cinematic history" in series form. More people should watch it. I loved this series, and was never bored with it. Sean Patrick Flannery did really well, as well as Corey Carrier.

4. Olag_Greck

Olag_Greck Jedi Padawan

Jan 25, 2022
    I found it boring. I recently tried to watch it. I didn't get past 3 episode before I was distracted by some other shiny show. Never did go back.

5. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I found some of the episodes boring, but not all. IMO, it was worth it to sit through the slow ones so I could find the fun ones.

Ackbar's Fishsticks likes this.
  6. BlackRanger

BlackRanger Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2018
    Not ALL of them. Young Indy never met World War I flying ace Edward "Mick" Mannock, or Chinese nationalist leader Yuan Shikai, or composer Jean Sibelius, for instance. ;)

Last edited: Feb 24, 2022
  7. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Only because it was cancelled. One more season and he'd have gotten to all of them. :-B

BlackRanger likes this.
  8. Schilkeman7

Schilkeman7 Jedi Knight

Oct 15, 2018
    I love it. it's like George's weird pulpy take on Masterpiece Theater or something. It's a great piece of film history, as a lot of techniques (and crew members) that show up in the prequals get used here. "Bull****" Pancho Villa?" love it.

StampidHD280pro likes this.
  9. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I did admire the production values , it was amazing for the time, but yeah it was kinda boring. Lucas was trying to get young people interested in history but it somehow lacked energy.

BlackRanger, Count Yubnub and Sarge like this.
  10. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    ...and so now it's announced that the young Indy series is coming to Disney+. After what I've read on here in the past, I'm actually pretty excited and will be watching it for sure!

Do you think it would be realistic for me to get thru the whole series before DOD comes out (knowing that I'm not the type to binge multiple episodes in one sitting)?

11. KyleKartan

KyleKartan Force Ghost star 4

Feb 4, 2004
    Considering the amount of episode plus their length I'd say you'd have to binch some episodes or at least watch one episode a day to make it to the DoD release :)

12. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    No Young Indy on D+ Canada

13. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I noticed that earlier. This is fascism and I will not stand for it.

14. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Not in the Nordics either.

I wonder where my old Mystery of the Blues vhs is... :p

Last edited: May 31, 2023
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  15. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    can voice displeasure at the Disney Plus Canada twittering!

Although was it released anywhere else but the USA on D+? Was it because it was on PBS or something wacky like that?

16. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    People keep uploading episodes to YouTube, you might be able to find them there. Although I can't vouch for the quality.

StampidHD280pro likes this.
  17. StampidHD280pro

StampidHD280pro Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    Can anyone confirm that all 22 episodes are on Disney+?

Last edited: Jun 3, 2023
  18. jaimestarr

jaimestarr Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 13, 2004
    If you are going to try out Young Indy, I'd at bare minimum watch Mystery of the Blues to get some sweet Harrison Ford action.

That said, yes the show is boring. It should have been more pulpy and adventurous. Instead, it's George Lucas doing PBS history lessons.

Sarge and BlackRanger like this.
  19. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    It never felt like it knew what it wanted to be, is the thing, and the genre shifts were just whiplash-inducing.

The first Young Indy I ever saw was Treasure of the Peacock's Eye, back when it was sold along with the Indy trilogy VHS pack. The first 45 minutes are fine; Indy and a sidekick stumble onto a treasure map at the end of WWI and go chasing for it through several exotic locations, with a rival group of treasure hunters racing them for it, and also a love interest who may not be all she seems. Okay; the production values are obviously much lower than for the actual movies, but it's recognizably the same kind of story aimed at the same kind of audience. ... But then you get 45 minutes of sitting around on an island with nothing happening while Indy gets introduced to anthropology, culminating in a lecture from one of his elders that makes him realize what's important in life. As a kid I remember thinking "WTF did I just watch?" and it was years and years before I gave the series another chance again.

I like it nowadays, but even so there's lots of stuff that I cut out and never bother to watch. (TotPE isn't even the worst offender by far. I could have lived a long time without knowing that there was an "Indy Versus Slapstick Bureaucracy, Introducing Kafka" episode).

Last edited: Jun 5, 2023
    BlackRanger likes this.
  20. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Maybe in the US? Young Indy is not on Disney+ in the Nordics at least.

21. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Maybe I'm misremembering, but I could swear there was one episode with little kid Indy in Africa where he said to his mother, "Gee, Mom, I think maybe slavery is a bad thing." I hope I'm wrong, but that's what stuck in my head.

22. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    You're not, it's the first episode (at least of the re-edited "Adventures of..." version of the series). The entire episode is just so bizarre. You have Dr. Jones Sr. playing devil's advocate, talking about how slavery has existed for most of humanity's existence. Young Indy dresses up in brown face so he can play with a friend of his, who's a slave, and gets kidnapped. Their kidnappers get ambushed in the desert and one of them is graphically beheaded with a sword. It's the only episode of the series I've ever watched, and it's absolutely insane.

23. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Currently watching the episode now, and your a little mistaken. Young Indy plays multiple times with the slave boy without the brown makeup. He only puts it on because he gets the idea from an Englishman (friend of Henry Sr I think). A man whom besides speaking in fluent Arabic, sometimes disguises himself to get information. He told indy about a man whom displeased the sultan and got his head removed and put on a spike in the marketplace. Indy being very curious wanted to go see it so left the home when he wasn't supposed to. The makeup and Arabic clothing helping him to blend in a little better in the marketplace because he was told its dangerous by the slave.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2023
    Dark Ferus and Sarge like this.
  24. StampidHD280pro

StampidHD280pro Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    Yes, someone would need to be in USA to confirm this.

25. King_of_Red_Lions

King_of_Red_Lions Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 28, 2003
    I really want to watch this series because I've heard so many great things about it. The first episode didn't make me want to continue watching it. Maybe I'll get around to it some day.

CampOfSorgan likes this.