main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT It's always bothered me of how mean Han always was to C3P0.

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by CrAsHcHaOs, Apr 15, 2017.

1. Master Endz-One

Master Endz-One Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 30, 2017

I think it had to do with the Clone Wars and many losing families to droids. C3PO on another hand spoke too much and panicked during tough situations, Han needed solutions not statistics on how to probable they were to die. C3PO was the Goofy nerd comedy relief like an Urlkle or Screetch ( from Family Matters and Saved by the Bell ). Bully comedy or poking fun at a nerd was acceptable during those times, today it would be a different story.

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  2. Nibelung

Nibelung Jedi Padawan star 2

Apr 18, 2017
    In pre-PT canon (that is, the SW lore as it was when the first film was written) this is actually a good question, as the original idea was that the clones were the villains in the Clone Wars.

That being the case, where does the prejudice against droids come from? Is it residual Dune influence that might be explained as an analogue of racial prejudice? Seems possible. (I'm remembering that scene in The Magnificent Seven where the townsfolk won't let a dead man be buried in their graveyard because he was black.)

3. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    I think Slicer was referring to not finishing him, not his leaving him with his mother. Which was his plan all along as he was making him to have a friend and to help Shmi out around the hovel.

4. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    I'd say less mean and more dismissive. The way Lando turns away as 3PO introduces himself is a more subdued version of that.

5. JediMasterSven

JediMasterSven Jedi Master star 3

Apr 21, 2014
    Jyn Erso is just as dismissive towards Kaytoo as Han is to Threepio, and Ezra threatens Chopper on a regular basis. Even Obi-Wan dismisses Artoo as a "Dime a Dozen" and Ahsoka thought Goldie was a suitable replacement for Artoo in The Clone Wars. Why? It may seem mean to us, but keep in mind to most of the denizens of the Star Wars galaxy a droid is no different then a toaster, or a computer, or a microwave oven.

Imagine if your toaster could talk back to you. It may be cool at first, or wanted to go on and on about say, the calorie count in that pack of Pop-Tarts you want for breakfast, you'd get a little ticked and say "Just shut up and heat up my Pop-Tart, slotty!"

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  6. Steve McGarrett

Steve McGarrett Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 1, 2017
    Han and 3PO in the OT is comedy gold.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  7. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    DealAlterer wrote

The droids in general got the shaft in Star Wars. They're pretty much slaves.

I concur, and where that inspiration comes from is even more obvious in scenes like "We don't serve their kind here".

Of course, Solo's character is largely inspired from Western heroes and actors like John Wayne who believed in "white supremacy", so I find Solo's behaviour towards Threepio in this particular context not that surprising.

Perhaps this is what Harrison Ford as Rick Deckard would have said about the character of Solo: "In history books he's the kind of ... who used to call black men "*******".

anakinfan edit: You've got to star that out, even when used in a quote.

8. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    C3p0 was never that annoying to me . And Han was like that to everyone

9. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    I think Anakin intended on finishing him had a certain Jedi not walked into his hovel. I mean, he even says, "I'm sorry I couldn't finish you, Threepio."