main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

It's official: Obi-Wan and Owen Lars are not brothers.

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Artie-Deco, Jan 31, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alderaan_

Alderaan_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 14, 2001
    It was Ben who said they were brothers.

Maybe it was really his certain point of view.

2. Darth_Ignant

Darth_Ignant Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 24, 2001
    I second Bob's [face_laugh]

3. Uncle_Owen_Kenobi

Uncle_Owen_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 7, 2001
    I'll third that. [face_laugh]

Just a quick question. Is Heir To The Empire an infinity? After all TPM pretty much shot down the notion of Mara Jade being trained by Darth Sidious. Rule of two. ;)

4. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Um, that is not a contradiction at all. Mara was never a Sith, nor a Dark Jedi.

5. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    And Movie Purists complain about EU'ers filling their forums. [face_plain]

That doesn't make it official at all. The Official Site is not included in the canon hierarchy, and therefore, if it is contradicted by official canon stuff, it is wrong.

Licensed material states that they are brothers. Therefore, they ARE brothers. End of story.

I gotta disagree this time, my clone-brother. Just as TOS is correct about canon issues ( i.e. everything is canon :D ) it takes precedence here too.

The earlier "Behind the Scenes" info on Owen's databank entry was a slightly different suatuation, since it was literally "behind the scenes" and didn't necessarily reflect Lucasfilm Licensing's attitude about any sort of explaination within the EU stories...we just knew that they wouldn't be brothers in the movie of Episode II.

This updated article is different, because it reflects the whole companies outlook on the character of Owen, and we know that no author will be permitted to go against that in future stories.

So...while there is not yet any blatant contradiction yet seen ( we don't see the familial ties of the Larses or Obi-Wan's family, and they don't meet in this next movie ) one can still think of them as brothers for their personal canon and timeline, but the argument won't work well in debates, since Lucasfilm doesn't agree with pre-2002 sources.

For the record, the only prime EU sources to state that "Owen Lars" was the brother of Obi-Wan Kenobi, is the ROTJ novelization ( guided by Lucas, who either changed his mind or forgot this plot point ) and the Guide to the Star Wars Universe 2nd Edition, which is really nothing more than an encyclopediac reference from the original book.

One must carefully note that the EU never specifically expanded on this, since in the Jedi Apprentice book The Hidden Past, Obi-Wan vaguely remembers his brother being named Owen...not Owen Lars. ( Technically not a contradiction if no last name is given, and the memory is hazy. ) [face_mischief]

After all TPM pretty much shot down the notion of Mara Jade being trained by Darth Sidious. Rule of two.

Great to see you've been paying attention...When was Mara Jade a Dark Lord of the Sith?

6. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Yeah, my old sock, I know I said that in the heat of the moment. Now that my mind is more clear, I posted some more sound arguments a little ways above, and in the PSA equivalent of this thread.

7. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    "For the record, the only prime EU sources to state that "Owen Lars" was the brother of Obi-Wan Kenobi, is the ROTJ novelization ( guided by Lucas, who either changed his mind or forgot this plot point ) and the Guide to the Star Wars Universe 2nd Edition, which is really nothing more than an encyclopediac reference from the original book."

It was expanded on in the star wars screen saver as well, under owan lars, and obiwan popups, as well as EG to characters volume 1, under owan, and obi-wan's parts, as well.

also refrenced small bit in one other bantam star wars novel, IIRC.

8. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    It was also referenced in the Star Wars CCG.

9. Uncle_Owen_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2001
    I wasn't aware that Darth Maul had acheived the title of Sith Lord at the time of TPM. I thought he was just an apprentice......... kind of like Mara Jade. ;) :p :p Sidious never refers to him as that title and the official site has not labeled him with that title aswell.

The definition of the Sith as put forth by the official site:

>>>An ancient order of Force-practitioners devoted to the dark side and determined to destroy the Jedi, the Sith were a menace long thought extinct.<<<

Kind of sounds like what Mara Jade was to be. Wasn't she sent to Tatooine to kill Luke a fledging Jedi Knight and didn't she use the darkside and wasn't she trained by Sidious? Hmmmm.... ;)

10. jade_angel

jade_angel Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 4, 2001
    Nope, it's been stated before in VOTF that Mara never used the darkside. And it's been emphasized throughout the EU that she was never meant to be a Jedi or a Sith, the one that's sticking out in my memory right now is in the Mara Jade #0, where Vader said, something about her being neither dark nor light.

Of course I'd better stop it with the mentioning of Mara Jade or else I'm gonna get my ass chewed off my Genghis if he finds this thread :p

11. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    She was still never a Sith nor a Dark Jedi.

12. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

Great to see you've been paying attention...When was Mara Jade a Dark Lord of the Sith?

Last I saw Palpy had taught her just enough to get by.

13. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    Well, if a pizza man teaches someone to make a taco, it doesn't exactly make the apprentice a pizza chef, eh?

Oh, and thanks for listing the other sources that mentioned Owen, Bib and Val. I just meant that the Guide and the ROTJ novelization were the only prime sources. The later stuff mostly just came from them. We didn't get any original stories ( if I recall ) where the brother situation was talked about or a plot point.

14. Uncle_Owen_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2001
    >>>She was once known as the Emperor's Hand -- a highly skilled assassin and operative who could hear Emperor Palpatine's bidding from across the galaxy. Trained since childhood and honed into a weapon, Mara learned self-sufficiency, piloting, marksmanship and talents in the Force while serving her dark master.

One of her last missions was the assassination of Luke Skywalker. Emperor Palpatine was dismayed by the changes in Vader following the Dark Lord's lightsaber duel with his son on Bespin. Skywalker had stirred something in Vader, and the Emperor distrusted his closest agent. As a contingency, the Emperor dispatched Mara to track down and kill Skywalker.<<<

If she never used the force then what exactly was Sidious teaching her? The Kamasutra? :p :p :p Anyways this is completly off topic.

15. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    We never said she didn't use the Force. Please try again.

16. Uncle_Owen_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2001
    Actualy jade_angel did, but it's since been edited. ;)

17. jade_angel

Apr 4, 2001
    Hand to hand combat, how to be an agent that sort of stuff. It's been mentioned in the HTTE trilogy that she knows little about the Force, in the sense that she can only do little stuff such as lifting a rock.

::Checks to see if Genghis is there::

Phew!

Edit: Stop putting words into my mouth! I left my original post as it was and then added onto it since I hate doing multiple posts :p

18. Kier_Nimmion

Aug 9, 2000

Actually, Jade Angel- Genghis would support you in this. He may not like Mara Jade, but he hates innaccuracies worse.

19. jade_angel

Apr 4, 2001
    Yeah, but yeesh, he can get real hot headed about the mentioning of Mara.

20. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    Everyone please take note of my superior pizza chef analogy, posted above.

21. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Or, to use a different, but similar analogy:

There is an older man who knows karate, kung fu and ju jitsu. He teaches me kung fu. Does that mean that I suddenly know karate or ju jitsu?

22. DaJames2

DaJames2 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 17, 2002
    Excerpt from Star Wars : Episode 1 : The Phantom Menace

Yoda : "Always two there are, the Master and the Apprentice"

Mace Windu : "But which is dead, the Master or the Apprentice"

camera pans on Palpatine

23. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Well, obviously Palpatine is Sidious, but that is really irrelevant for this discussion.

24. Kier_Nimmion

Aug 9, 2000

Wah...he is? I didn't know that! Thanks for ther spoiler warning, guys!

Or is this more of that so-called spec-u-lation?

:D

25. DaJames2

DaJames2 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 17, 2002
    I do not choose what goes in the exerpt, the exerpt does. :) In a discussion of Mara/Palpatine/Rule of Two the connection was bound to be brought up at one stage or other, so i just got it out of the way. I hope that the exerpt manages to stop this oncoming mass of master/apprentice-master analogies because that is not what the Rule of Two is about. It is about one dominating the other, a very Sith trait. It's not even about true loyalty, as Vader plans to off Palpy. Again, direct movie canon.

People who connect Mara Jade with the Sith, are making a mistake in missing the layers that lie between Joe-Bloe Force-user with a vengeance, and a fully trained Sith Lord/Apprentice. I'm also fairly sure that Palpy refers to Maul as "lord", but that can wait. I don't have a copy of Dark Side Sourcebook, but i've talked to people who have, and there are plenty of minor and major areas to excel in with some general rank going something like Dark Side Acolyte, Dark Jedi, Sith. I don't think Mara ever even reached the first rank, just used some skills learned from Palpy and kept a communication link with him.

I shall now wait patiently to be corrected ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.