main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jabba Anthology Film?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Pro Scoundrel , Aug 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    [​IMG]
    In all seriousness though, I can't imagine a movie with Jabba as the lead character. But a movie with mostly new characters with Jabba as their boss or villain (with him having a larger role in ROTJ) could work.

Gesendet von meinem SM-J510FN mit Tapatalk

2. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    I definitely think it has potential. Not an all Jabba all the time movie, but an Underworld movie that features him along with a small ensemble cast could be fantastic if done right. Not Star Wars' usual style of movie/story but it would nice to see as a one off.

Personally though, I'd rather see an underworld film set after ROTJ, the underworld and Hutt families in disarray following the death of Jabba and the fall of the Empire, two massive power vacuums, and the struggle that comes out of that. They could use Jabba's son Rotta so we'd also get to see his reaction to his father's death and his struggle to maintain that powerbase.

To be fair though, it probably is material that would be better suited to the novels. Luceno would do an amazing job with that type of tale.

Tobi and my kind of scum like this.
  3. Count Zero

Count Zero Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2014

Greedo quits his job at Burger Moff and decides to be a bounty hunter.

4. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012

A comedy film with Greedo being this clumsy Mr Bean like clown.:p

5. Count Zero

Jul 20, 2014
  6. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    His name was Larry, but when he won't share the popcorn, he gets the new nickname of Greedo, which he decides to keep.

7. StarWarsFreak93

StarWarsFreak93 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    I can't see this being real, really. Perhaps whoever reported it got the GdT comments confused thinking it'd happen or was rumored. I can't see Jabba being a good pitch for a film. I mean, I'd see it definitely, but would casual audiences be interested in seeing a Hutt rise to power? Not mention Jabba speaks Huttese so there'd be a ton of subtitles in the movie. I think it'd work better as a comic series from Marvel. I just can't see them using a film slot for a Jabba movie.

8. -Phoenix-

-Phoenix- Jedi Master star 5

Oct 21, 2005
    I think Jabba would work great as part of the cast in another anthology. His cast of cronies is one of the most delightful parts of ROTJ, and bringing him back in some capacity would be really fun. As the MAIN character, no, probably not (though I'd pay to see it) but he certainly could have a future in the franchise.

Darth Downunder likes this.
  9. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I say no.

Just...no.

I would love to see him as a supporting/minor character, but I don't think he could carry a whole film himself.

10. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    That's why it should be a Han Solo movie.
    "Han Solo and the Wrath of Jabba."

11. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I think Han, Boba Fett and Jabba should have all been rolled into one!

GregMcP likes this.
  12. GregMcP

Jul 7, 2015
    Rolled into one trilogy.

13. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    I think we know who's stoked for this.

14. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I just can't see how this would work with him being the focal point of the film.

15. Count Zero

Jul 20, 2014
    I could see a Jabba-centric movie, but only in the sense that it focuses on the criminal element of AGFFA. Jabba would be part of that (IF they choose to continue what i consider to be a dead end course - tying in all the anthologies to the main saga).

I see no reason why Jabba couldn't be a major player in a larger story, but Jesus, an entire movie about a slug that never goes anywhere? Talk about a bomb waiting to drop. That could kill the Anthologies entirely. Jabba was BORN to be a supporting player. He might be the star of his own show, but he's not the star of ours.

16. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Yeah, this is obviously not what LFL is considering so I wouldn't worry about it.

17. Count Zero

Jul 20, 2014

Never underestimate the stupidity of Hollywood. If they think they can make a buck, they'll have Jabba jumping through HOOPS.

18. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    Hollywood can certainly be stupid. Kathleen Kennedy, on the other hand, is not stupid. And she's in charge. Not Hollywood. ;)

19. Count Zero

Jul 20, 2014

She's also credited with The Adventures of Tintin, Jurassic Park III, Gremlins 2: The New Batch, and Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (as an executive producer of all things). She is not Midas, her touch is not golden.

Blind faith brought us Jurrasic World. X on blind faith.

20. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    Fair point. But as President of Lucasfilm, she has brought me films I adore. Especially Rogue One (my favorite of the whole series), though also TFA. And so I think the franchise is in good hands. Until a string of clunkers is produced, I have little reason to doubt her.

21. GregMcP

Jul 7, 2015
    You are dissing Gremlins 2?
    Grrrr...
    And Tin Tin was fine. Just not as marketable as one would hope.
    And Jusassic Park 3 was fun. The most purely getting chased by dinosaurs of all the Jurassic movies, and I thought it did that fine.
    Crystal Skull... well..

If you look at the idea of a Jabba movie, and wonder how on earth would that do that? That's good. That's what will make such a movie interesting. They'll have to be creative.

B3 and Artoo-Dion like this.
  22. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    On a serious note... As if there will be a film about Jabba like you described haha "a slug that never goes anywhere" :cool: I agree about Jabba being born to be a supporting player. He is to Boba Fett what Palpatine is to Vader imo.

23. Count Zero

Jul 20, 2014

Schindler's List is literally the only movie ever that has managed to make me consistantly cry, as a gentile. That scene near the end, when they give him the ring. And he starts in on how much money he blew and how many more he could have saved. How a car could have gotten ten more, and a pin could have gotten one. That slays me every time. I have never been as emotionally affected by any movie as i was, and continue to be, with that one.

I'm not saying Kathleen doesn't know what she's doing, i'm saing she and everyone like her is only one movie away from a stinker. All it takes it to take your eye off the ball.

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  24. Count Zero

Jul 20, 2014
    And as a result, there is no reason to be whinging about a Jabba film. It will never happen.

I'd rather have Boba fett be kind of a freelancer. If you can pay you get him. Jabba can pay, but Boba showed more loyalty to Han Solo than he did to Jabba the Hutt.

25. GregMcP

Jul 7, 2015
    Or, someone has a good story to tell.

Count Zero likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.