main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Reviews Books Jedi Quest: A Riveting Retrospective Review

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Vialco, Sep 17, 2022.

1. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Good evening everyone,

Recently, I’ve begun a re-read of the Jedi Quest series from 2002. I haven’t read the series properly in almost twenty years and it’s brought back so many memories. As is my recent custom, I’ve been writing proper reviews for each of the books as I finish them. I’ve been making more of an effort to put away my devices and read proper books again, so I’m making my way through them rather quickly. I was looking for a place to share my thoughts and notes on these books and couldn’t find an existing unlocked review thread.

So, with the kind permission of the mods, I’ve created this review thread where I’m hoping everyone can share their thoughts and opinions on this rather dated but still interesting series. I’d love to hear everyone’s thoughts on Jude Watson’s second Star Wars series and in a few days, I’ll post my review of the first book in this series.

2. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    I remember these when they came out. The first one stuck out to me as being really good. I liked how they played with Anakin and his actions as a jedi.

3. Pius Dea Crusader

Pius Dea Crusader Jedi Master

Nov 26, 2013
    I finished them recently. As a teenager I loved the Jedi Apprentice series, and going back into the Jude Watson side of the universe has been a delight, and can't wait to start the Last of the Jedi series.

Also it's nice that the new canon has been recognizing Jude Watson's work, with Siri and Olana.

4. scienfictionfan

scienfictionfan Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 1, 2020
    I read the Jedi Apprentice series as a young child nine or ten and read the Jedi Quest Series and Last of the Jedi series as a teenager but never finished the last one Rebel Force by Alex Wheeler and have always intended to reread them and finish the set of series.

I agree it's good that the new canon has been doing more with Siri and Olana. Which was another big draw of the series it introduced loads of new characters Jedi and none and made the galaxy seem larger and more real than the constant focus on just the movie characters. We learned about Obi-Wans friends Bant, Siri, Garen, and Reeft and learned about the Jedi as an organization rather than just the actions of individual Jedi. It's something I hope more new books follow the series lead in.

My favorite part about the series though was about how it was rarely about Galactic level events it was smaller typically involving one planet and occasionally the problems weren't even something affecting the whole planet but a single criminal organization or other smaller problems. It felt more like the average day to day duties of the Jedi then the events of the movies. It was also a good break form some of the adult books I read which tended to be superweapon after superweapon or galactic threat after galactic threat which got tiring after awhile

Last edited: Oct 9, 2022
    pronker, MercenaryAce, Vialco and 2 others like this.
  5. Xander Vos

Xander Vos Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    Apprentice, Quest and Last of the Jedi were all great, really enjoyed them as a kid. Have a stack of them in a box in my garage I think.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2022
    pronker, Vialco and AusStig like this.
  6. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    Jedi Quest #1: The Way of the Apprentice

I’ve always felt the Jedi Quest series gets some overly harsh criticisms. I enjoyed the series when I was growing up and I thought it was an excellent continuation of the superb Jedi Apprentice series. I’ve recently begun a re-read of this series since I was able to find an intact set of the entire series on eBay.

The first book in the series starts us off on a mission with Anakin, Obi-Wan and three other Master-Apprentice teams. The mission is a fairly basic one, a planet needs Jedi aid to deal with an airborne virus and help with the evacuation. As the story progresses, we have the Masters and Padawan split up. Obi-Wan and his fellow Masters have a fairly uneventful storyline, but the real focus is on Anakin and how he interacts with his fellow Padawans.

One thing I loved about this series was how it gave Anakin Skywalker a real friend within the Jedi Order that was around his age. Tru Veld. Sharing an affinity for technology, Tru and Anakin became fast friends. But just as Anakin has found a friend, he also quickly finds a rival. Of course, Anakin would never admit Ferus Olin was any kind of rival to him. But he is.

The dichotomy between these two Padawans is something we continue to see throughout this series, but the first volume is a good way to introduce it. In many ways. Anakin and Ferus are polar opposites of each other. While that may sometimes lead to attraction and symbiosis, in this case it leads to a mutual repulsion.

Anakin is an impulsive, spontaneous individual while Ferus is a devout rule-follower and has difficulty thinking outside the box. This relationship will continue to be explored in Jude Watson’s other books and it’s a long and tumultuous one.

This book also begins to show us the relationship between Anakin and Obi-Wan. There’s much of the same here, Anakin making mistakes and Obi-Wan chastising him for it. But there’s also that deep faith Obi-Wan has in his apprentice. There’s a moment near the climax of the book where the Jedi Masters are pinned against a canyon wall by battle droid. Another Jedi worries for their chances but Obi-Wan insists that help is on the way. When the other Jedi scoffs, Obi-Wan remains resolute and indeed, Anakin comes charging through the rocks in an MTT to save the day.

This deep faith in Anakin is something that is very gratifying to see in Obi-Wan. It’s also very sad when you consider that, ultimately, Obi-Wan’s faith is betrayed many years later. However, Obi-Wan’s faith in Anakin is not something that is shared by all of his fellow Jedi. Near the end of the book, after the Avoni invasion is thwarted and the real culprit behind the virus and droid army is discovered, Ferus and Anakin exchange a few words.

Ferus accuses Anakin of not having learned anything during the mission and that he is just like the traitor Galen. He goes on say that while Obi-Wan may not see Anakin’s true colours, Ferus does and he will be watching Anakin very closely. I have so much to say about this, about Anakin and Ferus and their relationship, but I think I’ll save it until the series is complete. Ultimately, Ferus is correct about Anakin being dangerous and having the potential for darkness within him. He can see what the rest of the Jedi Order cannot. But rather than try to help Anakin overcome these dark thoughts and tendencies, Ferus contents himself with merely judging and denouncing Anakin privately. Imagine what could have been accomplished if Ferus had tried to befriend Anakin, to help him learn and grow. The Jedi are supposed to be one great family, but as we see in this series, almost all of them are wanting in compassion.

Another sign of the times in this book is that the true instigator of this entire crisis escapes with virtually no consequences. The Avoni leader, Dol Heep was the one who paid Galen to release the toxin and commandeered his droid army. But when the dust settles and the virus clears, the Avoni leader is able to walk away from the entire situation scot-free. It’s a sad testament to the corruption of the Senate and the waning power and influence of the Jedi.

7. RogueWhistler

RogueWhistler Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 9, 2021
    Aside from various references to Jedi Quest in Abel G. Peña's work, my only exposure to these characters was the very last Rebel Force book which I read when I was younger. It's a weird place to start with Ferus Olin, and gave me the impression that he was an important character without really explaining why.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2022
    AusStig, Vialco and Iron_lord like this.
  8. Very underrated EU books i loved Jedi Apprentice too
    I liked the characters of Ferus Olin and Siri Tachi expanded the Pre Episode 2 era very well

AusStig and Vialco like this.
  9. Xander Vos

Xander Vos Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    Siri Tachi is now somewhat back in canon isn't she? Think she's mentioned in a few sources.

AusStig likes this.
  10. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    Yeah I have good memories of the first book. A very good story with some good 'twists'.

11. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    I didn't read these books,* so I am very eager to see these kinds of stories, of jedi settling, or at least trying to settle, local conflicts. Thanks for doing this.

* Though I did read a comic adaptation of one of them.

Vialco likes this.
  12. Pius Dea Crusader

Pius Dea Crusader Jedi Master

Nov 26, 2013
    @Vialco are you covering Path to Truth?

pronker and Vialco like this.
  13. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    I will! It’s on my list to read after I finish the main series, so that one will be like a look back on the entire series.

pronker and Pius Dea Crusader like this.
  14. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    As a kid, my fictional crush was Siri Tachi. I always liked her.

AusStig likes this.
  15. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    I haven’t had the time to write reviews for JA 2, 3 and 4 (I listened to them as Audiobooks). So, I’m going to skip right ahead like George Lucas and post the review I wrote for the fifth book in this series:

Jedi Quest #6: The Shadow Trap

The start of this book is fascinating. We see Anakin had a vision that include him leading an army to free the slaves of Tatooine. It’s a good way to show that his focus has never entirely left his homeworld and that he still harbours fantasies about freeing his mother and the rest of the slaves. This opens the door to a larger argument about how the Jedi Order has become complacent and is ignoring certain evils in the Galaxy. But this is not the time or place for it. But this passage did bring to mind the below quote by Yoda’s old Padawan.

The Jedi cannot help the slaves of Tatooine but they can help the slavemasters.

Rather than sending Anakin to Tatooine, which is where he wants to go, Yoda sends the duo to the crime-ridden world of Mawan to help Master Yaddle bring an end to the rampant violence plaguing their world. This is all part of being a Jedi, a part Anakin doesn’t understand or like. The Jedi Path is one of selflessness and personal sacrifice.

The Jedi have a duty to serve the greater good and help others. But quite often, it’s not for individual Jedi Knights to decide how that should be done. It’s this deference to the Council and following orders that Anakin Skywalker is never able to fully reconcile with.

Upon first seeing Mawan, it becomes clear why this world needs help immediately. The entire planet is a war zone, with criminal gangs fighting over territory and spoils. This actually validates Yoda’s earlier decision. Even the slaves of Tatooine don’t have it this bad.

On a side note, the interconnected nature of this series is quite entertaining. One of the three crime lords that controls Mawan is named Striker. But he’s only been on planet recently, prior to that he would rule through his lieutenants. We later learn that Striker is actually Grants Omega. Which makes perfect sense. Omega recently suffered a defeat at the hands of the Jedi on Harridan and Mawan is where he’s been laying low to lick his wounds. Which is likely why the fighting has gotten even worse. Sadly, for Omega, the Jedi are here to chase him and his fellow crime bosses off world.

Speaking of Omega, we learn in this book that he is indeed very close to the Sith and knows quite a few of the Jedi Order’s secrets. An allusion to who his father was and foreshadowing his eventual alliance with Darth Tyranus. Omega is the son of Xanatos, Qui-Gon Jinn’s fallen apprentice. Unlike his father, Omega lacks a connection to the Force, but he’s determined to bring the Jedi down and to stand with the Sith.

There’s a misconception in this series that the Sith Lord Omega eventually meets in person on Korriban is Darth Sidious. It is, instead, Darth Tyranus, which makes much more sense. Both Dooku and Xanatos were connected to Qui-Gon Jinn and both were former Jedi who turned to the Dark Side. After Xanatos and Qui-Gon’s deaths and his defection to the Sith, Tyranus took note of Omega. The secrets that Granta reveals to know in this book could not have come from Xanatos alone. He references the Chosen One and Anakin’s identity as that prophesized saviour and even tries to recruit him. Anakin didn’t enter the Jedi Temple until Xanatos was long dead and his existence was never known to the fallen Jedi. Dooku on the other hand knew much about Anakin as he only left the Order after the Battle of Naboo. Indeed, he was the one to tell Darth Sidious about Anakin’s power.

The only way Granta Omega could know about Anakin’s identity as the Chosen One is if Dooku told him. Knowing this, Omega’s schemes and misadventures across the Galaxy take on greater context. He’s certainly a Sith aspirant, but he’s already a Sith minion and collaborator. I have no doubt that Omega was in contact with Darth Tyranus for years, doing his bidding and acting as a loyal source of information and a powerful proxy. Everything that Omega accomplishes is to the Sith’s benefit. Indeed, in this book he manages to kill a Jedi Master, a member of the High Council no less.

Yaddle’s death was likely Omega’s own idea, but her demise was no doubt very pleasing to both Tyranus and even Sidious. I do love reading these books with the full knowledge of what happens before and after them, that additional knowledge and context truly enriches the individual works. That Yoda himself comes to Mawan after Yaddle’s death speaks to the unique relationship the two of them shared and though much remains unsaid, the reader can infer that they shared something special.

But enough about Omega and the two Y’s.

Let’s talk about Anakin Skywalker and his development in this book. The incident on Andara still stands between Anakin and Obi-Wan, though Anakin doesn’t fully understand why what he did was wrong. Near the climax of the book, Anakin finds himself in Omega’s clutches and is offered a chance to join him. Granta offers to take Anakin to Tatooine and free his mother. For Anakin Skywalker, this is temptation of the grandest sort and he does consider it, for a moment.

Soon after, Yaddle shows up and sacrifices her life to save Anakin and the people of Mawan. This brave act of heroism inspires Anakin and at the same time instills a deep sense of guilt within him. Nothing Obi-Wan says is able to assuage Anakin’s guilt, and Kenobi doesn’t exactly try too hard, he’s dealing with his own grief at Yaddle’s passing. Yoda is able to comfort Anakin at the end, but Anakin remembers that Obi-Wan couldn’t help him.

This book shows us that the gulf between Master and Apprentice is widening slowly, but despite the increasing distance between them, Anakin still harbours fond feelings for his Master. But the cracks in their relationship are there now and those cracks will only widen over time.

Overall, this is an excellent novel and I found it to be very engaging and exciting. Unlike its predecessor, I’m happy to give this book an 8/10. I’m very interested to see where Anakin and Obi-Wan’s relationship goes in the next book where we’ll meet a villain from the previous series, whose still alive and conspiring.

pronker and AusStig like this.
  16. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    Xanatos, that is a name I have not heard in a long time. Omega is very interesting enemy, I do clearly remember his introduction. And his dealings with Dooku are very good and add to the series.

pronker and Vialco like this.
  17. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    I have a special fondness for this series (my name is a giveaway), #2 was probably the first EU book I read- age 7.

I feel like each book focused on a certain aspect of Anakin's slow turn to the dark side; for example, book 9, The False Peace, largely focuses on the relationship between Anakin and Chancellor Palpatine, as we see it in AOTC. Specifically, durng the climax, Palpatine manipulates events so that Anakin is invigorated by the prospect of combat and is made to feel as though he deserves more recognition than my namesake based on each of their contributions to their defense of the Senate from the assassin droids.

In book 10, I can't help but wish Dooku had made more of a clear appearance- he was the Sith who was seen fleeing Korriban.

Last edited: May 16, 2023
    AusStig, Iron_lord and pronker like this.