main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC JediWarrior And Connemara Missing In Afghanistan (Update: What a ****show.)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Fire_Ice_Death, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I think his critique was more about our culture. Lawyers are expected to try every viable avenue, but not absurd ones. For instance, most aren't faulted for failing to pursue a "temporary insanity" defense. Yet, here we all expect that of course the victim can and should be attacked in ways that we are also all conceding don't really seem even relevant to the material facts of this incident and which have little to no chance of modifying the ultimate outcome.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
    poor yorick likes this.
  2. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I’ll answer when I have a free minute.

yankee8255 and poor yorick like this.
  3. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    I hope your story has a happy ending.

4. gwaernardel

gwaernardel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Hello old friends. I feel compelled to post because this story is absolutely bonkers and I can’t believe the JCC forums are connected to it in any way.

I remember talking to JediWarrior late one night when he was feeling down and I felt bad for him. It was a private conversation that spun off one of our epic JCC AIM chats. It was just a general cheering up kind of conversation but he told me later he had been on the verge of suicide and I helped him through it. It weirded me out at the time because geez buddy I was just being nice! Knowing all of this now makes it seem so sinister in retrospect.

5. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I have bad news and good news.

Darth Punk , Juliet316 and Diggy like this.
  6. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    A depressing amount of them sing "Please Release Me".

Because, yes, I want to be reminded of Englenbert Humperdinck. [face_plain]

7. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    I’m trying to imagine the legal intern who had to read every one of Caitlin’s posts for courtroom ammunition.

And now i’m Imagining an intern reading every one of my posts. I’m sorry, future intern! Especially for the 300,000+ word PT fanfic novel!

8. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    You planning a trip to Afghanistan?

9. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I wish someone would pay me to reread your fic :)

Juliet316 and poor yorick like this.
  10. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    One reason I posted that was that it was the first article that I saw that took a more critical look at her testimony. Doesn't mean that I agree with it (I honestly don't know, I'm not in the courtroom). Defense counsel has caught her in a rather lengthy list of contradictory statements the past few days, in any event. Her word alone certainly wouldn't be enough to guarantee his conviction.

And that brings me to a point about media coverage, on so many stories, including the Mueller investigation, and even going back to Rodney King: over and over again they focus on a compelling aspect of a story that will bring ratings and readers, often to the exclusion of other aspects of the story. Yesterday, every story focused on her dating escape. That the defense attorney has brought her veracity into doubt repeatedly gets far less coverage. Then the public is shocked when a decision comes that they weren't expecting. I think alot more had to happen für Boyle to get off, but it's certainly not impossible.

11. gwaernardel

Nov 5, 2001
    Wasn’t this Admiralthrawn60? I think his name was Chris in real life? If I am recalling correctly, he was pretty radical politically too. He argued that eugenics may not have been such a bad idea and there were always accusations that he might be a white supremacist in real life.

12. a star war

a star war Force Ghost star 5

May 4, 2016
    Good luck tracking me across my many accounts

13. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    it helps if you have an antagonistic spouse to provide a map of your online activity.

14. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    "pretty radical politically too"

He was the living embodiment of the "Hitler did nothing wrong" meme.

Rogue1-and-a-half and yankee8255 like this.
  15. gwaernardel

Nov 5, 2001
    Oh good (I guess) - I was remembering him correctly.

Looks like Boyle’s lawyer is trying to make the case that he turned violent because of his time in captivity: https://ottawacitizen.com/news/loca...ver-for-good-coleman-testifies-at-boyle-trial
    I will be interested to see what kind of defense he is going to put forth.

16. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    I recall it was him, AT60, and that he was very much into Hitler and Nazism. He once casually started out a thread with "I was reading 'Mein Kampt' when..." and would sprinkle in other references to Hitler and related subjects without actually going into a discussion on those topics. I also recall speaking with Conn after they parted ways and she was quite angry about it, but more of a heartbreak sort of anger than actual rage.

17. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    We had the alt-right before it was cool.

18. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
  19. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Boyle's attorney gamely trying to impeach Coleman by parsing the difference between "multiple" and "twice"

She testified Boyle hit her “multiple times,” but in her police statement a month after the incident she told a detective Boyle hit her “twice on the face.

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/loca...ts-are-which-coleman-testifies-at-boyle-trial

Also: weight loss charts!

When Greenspon suggested the couple “never really used this list,” Coleman said she tried to adhere to its demands, but noted Boyle was arrested shortly after it was made and they did not fill in the weight loss charts.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
  20. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
  21. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I am at such a loss for words that I have sat here staring at the cursor blinking to start a reply for 2 minutes.

What an utter disaster.

22. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    You have to play the cards you're dealt and apparently he was dealt cards of different suites with no particular order.

Juliet316 , CT-867-5309 and Rylo Ken like this.
  23. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    Yeah. Basically he'd like to claim insanity caused by the captivity, but his client won't let him. He's also not allowed or unwilling to be overly aggressive with Caitlan. This is Pretty much what he has left. To be honest, though, I think she contradicted past statements often enough t hat it might have worked enough for reasonable doubt if you didn't have that devastating testimony from the cop.

Rylo Ken likes this.
  24. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Since Boyle's abusive behavior apparently started long before the captivity and is the reason Coleman even went with him to Afghanistan, would an "insanity" defense have worked anyway? Also I don't know about Canada but I know in the U.S. legal "insanity" doesn't simply mean "mentally ill" or traumatized; it's a much higher standard than that.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
  25. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Last report I read said that the abuse began in captivity. Maybe that meant physical assault, as opposed to mental/emotional abuse?