main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books JJM returns with 'The Living Force'

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Fettster, Sep 7, 2023.

1. Fettster

Fettster Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 7, 2003
    Star Wars The Living Force Book Reveal: Jedi Council in Crisis (gizmodo.com)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 7, 2023
  2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Looking forward to this - I've liked JJM's books. It's on the Amazon UK list!

Mostly Handless and SWpants like this.
  3. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    This is great! Just when we were talking about old legends authors as well.

JJM is one of the best Star Wars authors. In the new canon I put him right up tied with Claudia Grey. New Dawn was great

4. Ewoklord

Ewoklord Jedi Master star 2

Feb 15, 2014
    Oh hell yeah I was literally just talking about wanting him back yesterday this rules. John Jackson Miller is so good at giving characters fun personalities and dynamics, I can't wait to see how he makes Yarael Poof someone I care about.

iPodwithnomusic and Darkslayer like this.
  5. Golbolco

Golbolco Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2016
    This sounds awesome. Can't wait.

6. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Those of us immersed in the old WEG RPG back in the day will recall the name "Kwenn" with fondness. Hopefully the famous space station will be featured. Very exciting news!

7. Watcherwithin

Watcherwithin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2017
    I really like that cover. It looks like one of the books from the 2000s. I’ve enjoyed all of JJM’s Star Wars work so I’m definitely optimistic but I really hope they don’t overdue the criticism of the Jedi order, it’s getting old and starting to wildly depart from Lucas vision of the Jedi’s mode of operations and attitude and their actual flaws. As long as it sticks mostly to the republics political failures I’m all on board though

8. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
  9. Delpheas

Delpheas Jedi Padawan star 1

Aug 23, 2023
    I like the JJM Old Republic stuff, but found his writing of Kanan & Hera in New Dawn to be weird. Looking forward to it obviously, always appreciate more Qui-gon/Obi-Wan content.

AusStig likes this.
  10. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Kenobi is one of the best Star Wars novels. So glad to have him back

QuinlanSolo likes this.
  11. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Figures it’s the 32 BBY council. Coleman Kcaj your time to shine will come eventually!

Wonder which Yarael Poof we’ll get here- Star Wars: Zam Wessel Poof or Robot Chicken Poof.

12. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I knew those Star Trek scoundrels couldn't keep him forever.

I think the fact that, like it says, this is a Jedi Council ensemble piece instead of another "Jedi Alone" book means that's unlikely.

QuinlanSolo likes this.
  13. KirKanosForever

KirKanosForever Jedi Master star 1

Jan 19, 2008
    I'll get this for sure. I liked New Dawn well enough and loved KOTOR. Although this is right up against TPM in the timeline, there are a lot of underdeveloped characters on the Council who could get some shine and don't have too much nailed down about them.

Can someone more steeped in Sifo-Dyas related chronology fill in a couple gaps here? Would this be (presumably) shortly after his death? Do we know who was elevated to the Council after his death? I think it'd be interesting to see the perspective of someone newly elevated to the Council out on a mission with the rest.

14. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    If S&S are too stupid to give JJM a contract, Darth Internous will.

More seriously, this is fantastic news - Trek's loss is Wars' gain!

EmperorHorus likes this.
  15. AvarandElzarsittininatree

AvarandElzarsittininatree Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2021
    Calling it. JJM is going to give a whole lot of Old Republic references in this book and then he will be one of the authors in the Old Republic publishing initiative they do.

16. Watcherwithin

Watcherwithin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2017
    Sifo-Dyas was killed before the battle of Naboo. but I don’t know if we know exactly how long before. He was expelled from the council prior to his death. The fact that Obi-Wan describes his death as “almost ten years” before the clone wars indicates he died very shortly before the battle of Naboo. So I’d wager he’s still alive a year before.

17. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    Awesome! I've been wanting another book bu JJM for ages and the synopsis sounds fun.

Jedi Knight Fett and Jedi Ben like this.
  18. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    We are dealing with a Jedi outpost to be decommissioned... I expect High Republic references galore. Especially since at least 2 Councilors have been seated since that time.

19. VexedAtVohai

VexedAtVohai Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 4, 2020
    Based on what I've been seeing from JJM since this announcement, it certainly seems like there'll be some compatibility with Legends. Very curious to what extent.

Might get references to Cloak of Deception and Jedi Council: Acts of War in a similar way to how Catalyst referenced Grievous' debut at Hypori, but I'm doubtful it'll be anything too direct. Probably more a case of Miller leaving room for those events to have happened.

20. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Squeeeeeee!

Dream-Thinker, AusStig and Darkslayer like this.
  21. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008

Very nice. Some of these guys have had like zero development across any continuity, so this is a welcome development.

22. DarthInternous

DarthInternous Editor - Del Rey Star Wars star 3 VIP

Feb 7, 2017
    Haha. The folks at S&S are lovely. Never a competition, just about making schedules work. No one loses in this game.

23. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    Ok this is seriously on my radar, which is more than I can say for most Star Wars material recently.

I come from a similar mindset.
    Yes the Jedi are flawed, everyone is flawed, but IMO they've really been harping on that theme more than I'd like.
    As long as they come off as rational, with a coherent logic so that you can at least see where they are coming from, I can accept it. The Jedi kept a thousand years of peace, even if they didn't do it perfectly there must be some merit to their ideals. Plus, I really don't want more fodder for the "Jedi deserved it" crowed. :rolleyes:

A couple random thoughts:
    - Looking forward to Oppo, and Even Piell the most. It definitely feels like they are some of the most underutilized characters, in both canon and legends.
    - I wonder how some of the "semi-maverick" (as I like to call them), council members like Depa Billaba and Yaddle will be handled. They sit on the council but have never been shy about expressing their discontent.
    - The cover reminds me of the old comic series: acts of war. It's been absolute AGES since we've had a story dedicated solely to the background council members. For the most part they've only been used to advance the story of protagonists, not as protagonists themselves.
    - I don't know why but when I read the synopsis, I get an imagine of the Jedi Council sitting on a beach getting some sun. [face_laugh]
    - Like others, I am counting on a sequel with the AOTC and ROTS council at some point. [face_waiting]
    - How in the world did all 12 members end up heading to the same world? It seems like some kind of orchestration of Qui-gon, but that seems almost insane to me, basically unheard of that so many Council members go to the same place save for the Malastare Comic, or Qui-Gons funeral (Plus that weird Mace Windu mission from that Age of the Republic comic, that was just overkill.) Its usually only one or two at a time. Who's running the order while they're away? :eek:

- Also, what do you suppose the odds are we get a Hego Damask namedrop at some point?

24. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    It really seems like Qui-Gon is harping on the Council for being hidebound ivory tower dwellers out of touch with the people, so when this old outpost is closing he cajoles the Council into going to that world to commiserate with its people.

Maybe it will be related to their offer to put him on the Council in Master & Apprentice. I could see him going on about how out of touch they are and "this is why I didn't want to be on your council" or something.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  25. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    This is one of the most exciting ideas they’ve had since the Darth Plagueis novel over 10 years ago. I am so excited!!! The ENTIRE TPM COUNCIL!!!!

If Hego Damask gets a mention I may cry of happiness. @ConservativeJedi321