main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books JJM returns with 'The Living Force'

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Fettster, Sep 7, 2023.

1. Watcherwithin

Watcherwithin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2017
    I feel like the “when you define you confine” mantra has been taken a little too far in canon. Some things do have to be confined.

2. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    I can understand it, especially for lower-level things like short stories and kiddy novels.
    But I'd definitely like some of these questions be answered more firmly.

Goes to show I probably shouldn't write any Star Wars novels in the future, if given the chance I'd probably define everything I possibly could. :p

3. JohnJacksonMiller

JohnJacksonMiller Mastermind: KOTOR, LTotS, Knight Errant star 3 VIP

May 24, 2005
    Here's kind of what this sort of thing comes down to — and as it's me, I'll use a sitcom reference. Frasier Crane made off-handed mentions on CHEERS that his parents were dead, that they were both scientists, and that he was an only child. Quick laughs at the time — but obviously, nobody knew that years later, there'd be good story reasons to ignore all three of those things.

To their credit, in the second season of FRASIER, the writers did not ignore them, but dealt with them head-on, making jokes out of the fact that he'd said those things years earlier. It's a classic case of continuity repair. But the whole thing is a reminder to fill out biographical details sparingly, and only when there's a good reason to do so. It saves headaches later on.

Funny coda: without spoiling anything, the second episode of FRASIER (2023) deals with this topic again!

4. ConservativeJedi321

Mar 19, 2016
    In the name of keeping conversation on this interesting topic alive:

I've said before Oppo Rancisis is the one I'm most interested in because he seems to be the Council member with the least amount of characterization between canon and legends. (I know he's gotten a slightly expanded role in the High Republic but haven't been as invested in that time period as others). It helps that he's also the least humanoid Council Member which lends itself to awesome visuals of him slithering around.
    [​IMG]

Recently I've been thinking more about Even Piell, in canon at least he's probably got less appearances than Oppo but his standout appearance in TCW really makes me feel like I know him better. He seems rather harsh and militaristic but still with a sense of humor.
    The big scene that comes to mind when I think of him is when he stares into Osi Sobecks soul as the Phindian guns his captured troops down at point blank range.
    I feel like there is three ways a Jedi can go in that situation.
    The Anakin Way: Give the truth and improvise a solution later.
    The Leia Way: Lie in the moment to buy time and try and save lives.
    The Piell Way: Don't even pretend to give a **** and just let your men be executed.

All I got to say is yowza did he make an impression in that one scene alone. It's like the most absurdly extreme caricature of the no attachment principle but devoid of any apparent regret or compassion that is supposed to be essential to a Jedi's life as well. But given the context it just works, and sets him apart from how, at least I Interpret, most of his peers would have reacted in that situation. Legit that was creepy. Though there is something about him that gives the feeling he would have said the same if the blaster had been pointing at his own head, I'm sure any Jedi would have as it certainly would have been less morally ambiguous to sacrifice yourself. He just seems somewhat more intense about it which ups the creep factor significantly.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2023
    Darkslayer likes this.
  5. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 7 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
  6. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
  7. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    They are putting in a lot of extra effort for this book. Love it. Hope that means the story is significant!

Ghost and ConservativeJedi321 like this.
  8. ConservativeJedi321

Mar 19, 2016
    You can never go wrong when it comes to helping the audience visualize the Star Wars galaxy.

Ghost and AusStig like this.
  9. HMTE

HMTE Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 7, 2021
    I always loved fantasy maps. This book will have to be something I pre-order.

Ghost and AusStig like this.
  10. clonegeek

clonegeek Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 28, 2022
    I hope that in a couple of years we also get a spotlight on Coleman Kcaj and Coleman Trebor.

ConservativeJedi321 likes this.
  11. ConservativeJedi321

Mar 19, 2016
    The Colemans are almost comically underrated.
    Especially Kcaj.
    Trebor, I think, got a couple random Holonet entries around the time of AOTC, but everyone seemed to forget Kcaj existed the moment his cameo in ROTS ended.
    At least he got a few glimpses in TCW.

12. clonegeek

Oct 28, 2022
    Kcaj has never been seen outside of the Jedi temple. I also don't believe that he is dead despite what the Inquistorious's body suggests.

I'm honestly surpised that nobody has even invented an in-universe reason to explain why two Jedi had the name Coleman.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2023
  13. ConservativeJedi321

Mar 19, 2016
    I head canon that there was a reasonably popular Supreme Chancellor named Coleman around the time they were born.
    It parallels a trend IRL where there is always a surge in a baby names popularity when its tied to the Presidency.

14. clonegeek

Oct 28, 2022
    Interesting idea,

I had an interesting one for them- Coleman is their surname. They are adoptive brothers or something like that

15. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 7 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    This man is such a treasure.

16. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 10

Jul 19, 1999
    He also put it on Threads.

Talking of, is the board getting a tweak for hosting Thread posts?

17. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    Maybe if more than 20 people used Threads.

18. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 10

Jul 19, 1999
    More than X.

19. HMTE

HMTE Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 7, 2021
    They could always go the Deep Space Nine route and turn Kcaj into the Morn of Star Wars. He just sits there; does and says nothing on screen, but they talk about him like he's this legendary warrior. He's got a lover in every port, a six digit body count, and is as powerful as Yoda and Anakin combined. Make it into a big joke.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2024
  20. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Force Ghost star 8

Jun 14, 2002
    Happy birthday to JJM!

Darkslayer, Slater, Ghost and 7 others like this.
  21. DLCV

DLCV Jedi Master star 3

Dec 14, 2020
  22. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Force Ghost star 8

Jun 14, 2002
  23. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Less than 2 months away! Been awhile since I've counted down for a book release :D

AusStig likes this.
  24. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    Nice to see an author pop into a topic on here. I miss the days when it was a regular occurrence.

Ghost, WMIRTUTSF and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  25. JohnJacksonMiller

JohnJacksonMiller Mastermind: KOTOR, LTotS, Knight Errant star 3 VIP

May 24, 2005
    Okay, folks, we just announced the launch events today. Here's where I am through releae week:

February 29-March 3, 2024
    EMERALD CITY COMIC CON
    Seattle, WA
    Event details

March 15-17, 2024
    GALAXYCON RICHMOND
    Richmond, VA
    Event details

March 22-24, 2024
    MIDSOUTHCON
    Memphis, Tennessee
    Event details

April 9, 2024, 6 p.m.
    LIVING FORCE Release Event – Appleton, WI

Barnes and Noble
    4705 W. Grande Market Drive
    Grand Chute, WI
    Event details

April 13, 2024, 1 p.m.
    LIVING FORCE Release Event – Madison, WI
    Barnes and Noble
    West Towne Mall
    7433 Mineral Point Rd.
    Madison, WI
    Event details

April 13, 2024, 6 p.m.
    LIVING FORCE Release Event – Milwaukee, WI
    Barnes and Noble
    Mayfair Mall
    2500 N. Mayfair R. Suite 196
    Wauwatosa, WI 53226
    Event details

We will have Living Force posters available at Seattle and all three Wisconsin events. And of course, the Barnes and Noble special edition (about which more later) is available at the B&Ns.

I didn't remember to post it here, but if you visit https://readstarwars.com/preorderthelivingforce and you upload your preorder receipt, you can get a signed bookplate. U.S. and Canada only (that's where this part of PRH operates), and one to an address.

DLCV, iPodwithnomusic, Ghost and 9 others like this.