main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Journey to Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: Force Collector

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ancient Whills, May 4, 2019.

1. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Yes; it's mentioned that it was tough to get it out of a creature, which would be the monster that ate it in that comic. I suppose it might be a way of explaining where C-3PO gets a golden arm to replace the red one by the end of TFA, if the Story Group wanted to.

2. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    I needed something to read while traveling to visit family for Thanksgiving so picked this up.
    Finished it pretty quickly.

Over all I though it was a rather simple, but still entertaining book.
    I was slightly disappointed when C-3PO's arm showed up. I liked watching Karr piece together the history of the Jedi from the scattered bits left behind, and it felt a bit rushed to bring it all together at once. But I also understand that it might be unrealistically long if he had to find something from each and every interaction in the films to get the full picture.

Though I did find it a bit funny that it was C-3PO that brought it all together for him. The protocol droid has been more attached to Padme and Leia, whereas R2 was closer to Anakin and Luke. He might be able to piece together most of what had happened from what the former witnessed, but it probably wasn't as complete a picture as what the later has seen.

It really came off as more of a teenage drama, and I don't think that is a bad thing. This book was far more down to earth than most, the problems of Karr and Ma, ize faced throughout the book seemed like something teenagers in real life could deal with. Minus the whole super natural powers aspect of things. As a history nerd I could totally see myself visiting historical battlefields and buying artifacts in a similar manner to the main character if they were in driving distance. :-B

The whole "great grandpa was once a Jedi and is actually still alive" plot really seemed tact on at the last minute though. It left me with more questions than answers, and I think it might have been better if Karr had stumbled across the deserted hut and pieced together his ancestors life and ultimate fait by using his powers rather than just talking to him.

I did like visiting the movie locations after the fact, and I found some of the stories that were told entertaining. So many years later it is totally plausible that people would have grand tales based on major events in history. Both Karr and Maize realize it is possible that people are trying to exploit his curiosity to get him to pay extra. Personally I didn't find any of the discoveries (Minus 3PO's arm), as being too on the nose or forced. Karr himself speculates the force might be guiding him, and that is possible. When he comes across Tion Medon's staff that felt believable, the falcon was pretty much exactly where it is in TFA so that wasn't really forced either. (Though I do find it curious that the only memory that stood out on that ship is the one involving Lukes training).
    Sifo-Dyas's wrecked ship has apparently been largely cleaned up after the Jedi found it. Though It is also realistic that such an attack would scatter it's pieces near and far so the Jedi very well could have overlooked a few pieces.

Maz Kanata helped Karr better understand his force abilities. Dok-Ondar has already been established to be collecting Jedi relics. It went by surprisingly quick, and I am slightly disappointed they never got to Tatooine.
    I also found it interesting how the First Order, the organization that Maize's father works for, is treated so casually. Everybody talks about the Empire, the Death Star, and all that went on way back when. But nobody thinks twice about Storm Troopers coming to collect a rebellious daughter, and they basically treat it like it's some kind of legitimate business operation. Not even a quirky, nostalgic, military group like it is in some other sources. It just, exists, and nobody thinks twice about it.

Though I did like how the relationship between Maize and her parents was portrayed. The whole underlying culture clash, as well as a desire for attention and all of that. It creates an interesting dynamic.
    I particularly enjoyed the variety of species that showed up from all across the saga. The science teacher at their school is a Gungan, Maize is half Mirialan, and one of the students is a Besalisk. It adds just enough preexisting species to make it feel like a genuine, if down to earth, part of the Star Wars universe.

Barriss_Coffee and beetzello like this.
  3. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Just finished the book...overall an enjoyable read....however....
    1. Would have liked to see a little more Force ability out of Karr. He knows he has it so he should have some confidence in being able to do more that read objects. A few scenes of him meditating and maybe using telekinesis on small things just to show he is not a one trick pony.

2. Maize's dad being FO was a little much for me. From everything else we have seen with the FO...they would have snatched Karr up as soon as they knew about his quest. Not just shot RZ and left him with the Avadora.

3. The Avadora...I have stated many times before...I hate when they introduce a new ship and give us no information whatsoever other than a name. Just dig thru info and use an existing class name. Like the CEC KST-100

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
    Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  4. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    The last section of the book originally took place on Tatooine, but Shinick was told he had to change it because it was too similar to parts of TROS.

Barriss_Coffee and beetzello like this.
  5. beetzello

beetzello Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 17, 2002
    This was an excellent book, I really enjoyed the trip around the galaxy, Karr’s journey of discovery was interesting. I like how Karr grew and matured. I would welcome another book with him in a starring role. A locale of interest for me would be a trip to the planet where Luke’s temple was. Hoping for a sequel!

Iron_lord likes this.
  6. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    But the book kind of concludes with not only his great grandfather, but also Maz and finally Karr realizing his sort of *is* a one trick pony. He's never going to be a Jedi, but because of his psychometry he can be a scholar and antiquarian that is will hold knowledge and objects in trust for those who will inevitably come along with the ability to actually be Jedi.

IG: @jedisufism

Daneira likes this.
  7. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I find it interesting that at least for me the young adult novels are much better than the adult novels at least in new canon. This book is no exception well worth the read for any Star Wars fan. This book is chalk full of references but one thing is still on my mind

In the book the shop owner on Utapua says his father was a clone who had him (most likely in secret) yet was still most likely killed during the war. I think he is telling the truth but do you all think he is?

8. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    It's certainly not an implausible scenario.

9. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Really enjoy this one. Is there a review thread for it?

10. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
  11. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Happy to.

Stymi likes this.
  12. beetzello

beetzello Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 17, 2002
    Now that I’ve seen TROS, I am thinking about a potential sequel where Karr finally gets to Tatooine.

13. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    I read it more as an open option...maybe he would become a Jedi...maybe not...that could be up to him.

14. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    Just FYI for everyone who hasn't read it (including me) the Kindle version is $0.99 now.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
  15. Xander Vos

Xander Vos Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    I really struggled through this one. I totally get I'm not the target audience, but it just felt TOO childish. And some of the settings really didn't feel like Star Wars to me, as if I was reading any kid adventure book set on Earth.

16. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    I found it quite enjoyable as well. Usually I don't read books fast or go for YA but finished it quickly. It was really cool seeing Maz and Threepio's arm too.

Iron_lord likes this.
  17. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Apparently he was also going to visit the Death Star 2 ruins, but again it would have tread ground TROS was going to.

Maythe14thBeWithYou likes this.
  18. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Me: Wow, this book is huge! This will last me through the whole quarantine!
    Narrator: She was wrong.

No seriously, I'm about 100 pages in but I bet that would be like 50 if this were the Kindle. The book looked huge, but the text is ginormous.

I don't know what to make of it yet. The out-in-the-boonies school with a million different species and Gungans was odd. The girl sitting on the lap of the boy she just met, when they're both like 17 or 18, was odd. But otherwise it moves right along and I like the main character.

So Tion Medon. The story begins with the main kid scratching his own name into a school bench with a pocket knife. Then he goes and finds Tion Medon's staff, whose name he notes has been scratched into the side. Now I cannot get the image out of my head of Tion Medon rebelliously trying to scratch his name onto his staff with a pocket knife.

19. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    This book was OK. It definitely wasn't one of the best, and that's not a fault of it being directed toward a younger audience. There was something off about the pacing... I think I would describe it as "a lot of directed wandering". That is to say, Karr went exactly where he needed to go, on a quest that was meant to appear rambling, but didn't really ramble at all. Just so he could find movie-related props.

I liked the message at the end. But it didn't have the ending I expected. I had thought... (spoilers...)

That Karr's uncle would play a role. His father kept making a big deal about how Karr's uncle was his brother, and at the end, Karr goes to work with him. But we never see the uncle that we keep hearing about. The first time the father mentioned him, I assumed he must be force sensitive too. He's part of that line of the family, after all.

Maybe there will be a sequel, and that's addressed?