main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Just Announced 4 Years Ago: Andor!! It's happening now!!!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by BobaMatt, Nov 8, 2018.

1. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    Question for all Andor fans here:

1) Given Andor is just one more season to go with each arc being 1 year and space in between, do you think Andor's style would translate well to animation to fill in the gaps with more Andor content without needing Gilroy or maybe some voiceactor work only?

2) Which authors could write Andor style for adult novels well? I know enough, but most are Legends authors.

3) Who here has seen the
    seeeecret Celebration Andor Season 2 teaser
    and wants to discuss it under spoiler tags or in PM?

2. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I thought the plan was for Andor to have 5 seasons, with each season covering 1 year?

3. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Supposedly that was the original plan, but Gilroy and Diego Luna didn't want to spend 10 years being mostly occupied with just doing this show, so it was cut down to two seasons, with each three episode arc of season 2 representing one year.

Revanfan1, JediFett10 and AusStig like this.
  4. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    I'd be lying if I said I wasnt worried that each arc represents 1 year idea is going to make for some odd pacing. Natural assumption is that each arc is a major event in Cassian's career per year, but they could opt for a kind of time skippy full year depiction and that could get a little wonky if it's too much like an anthology.

I sure hope K2SO shows up sooner than later, but I fear Gilroy may want to hold off on him because he and Cassian's have more banter than might be appropriate while maintaining the serious tone of season 1.

5. AvarandElzarsittininatree

AvarandElzarsittininatree Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2021
    We'll have to see. However I don't think it would be much different than season 1. Season 1 was largely a few completely separate stories from each other as well.

6. Foreign32567

Foreign32567 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 4, 2021
    Can't imagine scenes from season 1 like Bix being interrogated by Dedra in TCW or Rebels-style animation, so no.

Alexander Freed

7. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm wary of cramming 4 years into 12 episodes with 3 episodes per year, but if anyone can do it, it would be the Andor crew.

8. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Those are my feelings as well.

Revanfan1 and Force Smuggler like this.
  9. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    4 more seasons are obviously out of the question, but 2 seasons with 6 episodes for each of the remaining years would fill me with more confidence.

10. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    "Welcome to the Rebellion Andor. Prepare for months of boredom and days of terror."

If they use the space well, along with a clear sense of what happened inbetween each, then 4x3 could work really well. I'd be up for shorter, well paced, snappier stories over the one series = one drawn-out arc approach.

Revanfan1, Cynda, Alpha-Red and 4 others like this.
  11. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    "I know I have done this before".

12. Ginkasa

Ginkasa Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 13, 2002
    Based on season 1's total run time each 3 episode arc could be about feature length. If you think of it has 4 "movies" with each one covering the significant events of each year that sounds more reasonable. Maybe if it were a season a year we'd get more "fill in the gap" type stories, but I don't have any particular concerns that season 2 will feel incomplete or rushed when taken on its own merits.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  13. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Also, this isn't The story of the Rebellion, it's just Andor's path to and role in it. Plenty of space for other, further stories.

14. Cynda

Cynda Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2014
  15. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Man, screenrant really does need to get better at doing basic research. No, Gilroy has not written every episode of Andor.

While it is good to see that all scripts were ready prior to the strike, one should never assume that writing somehow stops just because a script is technically "done". Scripts almost always change while shooting the movie / show, and that also falls under rewrites, so you can't just ignore an ongoing strike while shooting.

Jedi Ben and Cynda like this.
  16. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    And it should always be said- worker's rights are far more important than us getting entertained. The last writer's strike crippled a lot of shows- let Andor sit for a while if need be

17. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
  18. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Actually never mind, Gilroy isn't working on Andor right now

“I discontinued all writing and writing-related work on Andor prior to midnight, May 1. After being briefed on the Saturday showrunner meeting, I informed Chris Keyser at the WGA on Sunday morning that I would also be ceasing all non-writing producing functions,” Gilroy said in a statement to The Hollywood Reporter. When reached by phone late Tuesday, Keyser — the co-chair of the WGA’s negotiating committee — confirmed his conversation with Gilroy. Lucasfilm, which produces Andor, declined to comment.

Jedi Ben and JediFett10 like this.
  19. JediFett10

JediFett10 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 8, 2008
    New details on Andor S2 from Empire Magazine Summer 2023

Genevieve O’Reilly, as Imperial senator/secret Rebel financier Mon Mothma, tells us she felt like she was in a political thriller, only being shaken out of it when, one day, she came to work in a big scene “and the room was populated with creatures”. Because there really aren’t many aliens in Andor. It’s all about the humans, and it digs deep. “Mon’s fight is a different fight — her weapon is her voice,” continues O’Reilly. “And to have time not just to see her as a senator, as a decisionmaker, but as a wife and a mother, navigating empire not just at work but in her home, is endlessly fascinating.”

Adria Arjona, who plays mechanic Bix Caleen, tortured by Denise Gough’s sadistic Imperial lieutenant Dedra Meero towards the end of Season 1, promises that as a result, Season 2 will see her undergoing a heavy psychological excavation.

Gough says Andor’s cast is populated by actors who thrive on going in unexpected directions. “In one world, it could be that Bix is now just all ****ed up. But there’s a kind of a sugar way, and then there’s a protein way. Tony always talks about the protein. And he has hired lots of actors who are on high-protein diets. Adria is on a very high-protein diet.”

Andy Serkis: Let’s just say that Narkina 5 is a very lonely place without other people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Kino isn't dead? Or the Imps didn't blast him when he was the only one left? I honestly thought that was it. I guess if they can do something good with it, sure.

21. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    So Iv properly watched Andor for the first time. I admit I was burned by Kenobi and Book of Boba and the least said about the Mandalorian the better. So had previously ignored it.
    I really regret that as its a fantastic show, they use actual sets and locations and gasp a non desert backdrop too :eek:
    Some truly great moments and fantastic acting, especially from Stellan Starsgard and Fiona Shaw.
    Is it perfect ??? No, they didn't need 12 episodes for the story and his missing Sister plot pretty much gets dropped. But that aside I really enjoyed it and look forward to the next season.
    Overall 8/10
    They really do need a Palpatine apparence in S2

Last edited: May 16, 2023
    Sinrebirth , AusStig and Nom von Anor like this.
  22. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Making a scene making of video about the Rebellion on Ferrix and how it was supposed to be an F-bomb (which apparently got pretty far)

spoiler tagged video for f-bomb

I'm actually kinda glad Disney didn't let them go through with it, the "$$##" was jarring enough. Fight works great.

Barriss_Coffee, Jedi Ben and AusStig like this.
  23. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Agreed. Really glad they did not roll with that idea in the finished episode. It's a line I don't want to see Star Wars cross.

Sarge and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  24. RogueWhistler

RogueWhistler Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 9, 2021
    I don't really have any qualms about language in SW, but I do think "Fight the Empire!" is the better line. I was kind of surprised by all the enthusiasm for the earlier version.

25. Ginkasa

Ginkasa Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 13, 2002
    Honestly, I would have been good with it, but maybe that's just the kind of mood I've been in lately.

The way the scene builds up and the way she delivers the line we basically hear the F-bomb even though its not said - the spirit is there. There's no surprise that immediately after watching it plenty of people were speculating whether it was intended to be an F-bomb and I think there were people who even though that's what was said. Speaking for myself, by the time the line came up it felt natural to me that the next thing she'd say is "F the Empire" and I was honestly a little let down that they didn't go there.

Which is all surprising to me because normally I'd be in the trenches against the idea that child friendly media needs to be pushed to be more "mature", but with the way this show was and the way that scene built up and also just my current state of mind with real life kind of stuff I was all in on it in this particular case.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.