main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Kevin Feige to Produce New Standalone Star Wars Film

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by RokurGepta, Sep 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    All that tells me is that Star Wars is better (and deeper) than the MCU. If that means making a little less money, I’m OK with that.

2. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    No I just don’t think like political narratives work in Star Wars I’m trying to watch some really good fantasy storytelling about light and dark. The Jedi and sith. I don’t need some bs about how the empire and the rebels are both bad like no.

3. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Apart from the completely nonsensical claim about the box office, the rest of your post doesn't really make all that much sense either. Somehow you manage to project your own claim about what went wrong onto everyone else. That's just not how anything works in the real world.

Just because you see some issue with political correctness (which, as I have stated before and you ignored, stands in complete disagreement with how the saga has worked in the past) doesn't mean that this is the reason why others disliked it. You have absolutely nothing to base such a stance on. It's like me saying that the reason why these movies ended up not working for everyone was due to not having enough Jar Jar in them. You simply cannot assume that your reasons for something are automatically true for everyone else as well.

At no point did Star Wars ever suggest that the Empire and rebels are both bad. Such a claim is just ridiculous.

4. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    The whole point of DJ was to challenge Finn’s perception about the conflict, act as the devil on his shoulder to give into his feelings and not stand for something good. Finn realised he did want to stand and fight for something bigger than himself.

Finn - “you’re wrong.”

These messages belong in Star Wars and always have. Knock it off with political narrative rubbish or take it up with ANH and George.

5. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    But political narratives have been a part of Star Wars since the beginning. "A New Hope" featured the conflict between the Rebel Alliance and the Galactic Empire. The latter was portrayed as fascist and oppressive. And Lucas went even further with the next five movies by portraying the saga in a more ambiguous way, starting with "The Empire Strikes Back".

I can think of a few MCU movies that were capable of being deep as Star Wars. But even these movies have fallen victim to the Marvel franchise's formulaic to certain degrees. I can tolerate Kevin Feige producing one Star Wars film. But I fear that Disney might allow him to take over the entire franchise, one day. Yes, the Star Wars franchise needs a singular voice. But I do not think Feige is the right voice for the franchise. He is the type who starts out trying to be ambiguous and original and ends up rigidly adhering to the status quo.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
    Mostly Handless and cwustudent like this.
  6. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Huh? Who said that politics in Star Wars has to equal moral relativism or moral equivalence between Rebels and authoritarians? That’s ridiculous. Politics has been in Star Wars from the beginning, starting in A New Hope with the excellent conference room scene on the Death Star, etc. I want to see more of it, done well. To me, blending that kind of political and historical complexity with space wizardry is what makes Star Wars much more interesting than generic fantasy.

7. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    To say nothing of the fact that Star Wars didn’t primarily become a story about the Light Side of the Force versus the Dark until the PT made the bulk of its important characters Force-users. The Sith weren’t even named in the OT, it was just a cyborg with a red sword and an old, cloaked man with lighting fingers. Luke’s journey to becoming a Jedi and his training under the tutelage of two exiled, largely retired Jedi was his major arc, yes, but the actual conflict was a political one centered on a legitimate civil war, one fought not for philosophical reasons like “light and dark,” but for very real ones such as resistance against the oppression of autocracy and totalitarianism. Up until the PT, Star Wars was far more interested in the Rebellion and Empire (guérilla war against oppression), in smugglers and bounty hunters (class issues and morally grey motivations). I’m not saying we shouldn’t focus on the Jedi and Sith, I would like to see a stronger focus on them going forward, but to say that the series is nothing more than a fantasy story about “light versus dark” is highly reductive.

El_Machete12 and Bor Mullet like this.
  8. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Amen. The last thing I want is a flattening of the Star Wars universe into a cheap D&D-style light vs. dark conflict. The socio-political layers of the GFFA are the most interesting thing about Star Wars, IMO. And present from the very start.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
  9. GoJohnnyGo

GoJohnnyGo Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 19, 2012
    Perhaps if TLJ spent its time advancing the overall narrative rather than trips to canto bite to free the horses JJ wouldn't have been trying to jam 2 movies into one resulting in the chaos that is TROS. I'm not blaming JJ and think he did a good job considering the hand he was dealt.

Bottom line is if KF makes a good story and doesn't waste time and effort adding pointless current day political narratives into the film's he can be successful. We can disagree. God Bless.

10. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Not everything in a film need to be about advancing a running narrative. The Empire Strikes Back spends its middle act with our protagonist doing hot yoga in a swamp, and our co-deuteragonists flying into an asteroid field and then flying out of the asteroid field. It does nothing to further the plot, it does everything to explore those characters and give us time to get to know them a little bit, while also developing the story's central themes. The Last Jedi did the same, so I'm not going to attribute any of TROS' apparent failings to Abrams being put in an impossible situation, because he wasn't.

Regardless, Feige has pitched one movie, and whether they produce sequels to it pending its success is a conversation for another time, but as of now he's attached to one movie. If the film wants to spend more time with its characters, if it wants to spend more time with the culture and world of the GFFA, then that's what the movie is, and there's no trilogy-arc for it to get in the way of. I just don't see how "good story" and "current day political narratives" are mutually exclusive. Star Wars at its best and at its most creator-driven (not always the same, granted) has never shied away from exploring a multitude of topics, genres and influences which the director is interested in, no matter what they may be.

11. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    Agreed.

Jedi Knight Fett and Bor Mullet like this.
  12. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    the problem with this is no mater what Disney does with Star Wars there are always gonna be people that complain I guess you cant please everyone.
    [​IMG]
    Taika Waititi Eyed for a Star Wars Movie
    Over the past few years, one of the most exciting and refreshing voices in Hollywood has been Taika Waititi. The director, actor, and writer has made a name for himself bringing his trademark brand of humor and heart to just about every genre. From blockbuster films like Thor: Ragnarok to the Best Picture nominee Jojo Rabbit, and even The Mandalorian, Taika can do it all.

Lucasfilm seems to think so too.

According to The Hollywood Reporter Waititi has been asked to develop a Star Wars film.

Here’s what THR has to say.

“Taika Waititi, the filmmaker behind the Oscar-nominated Jojo Rabbit and Thor: Ragnarok, has been approached to develop a Star Wars movie, sources tell The Hollywood Reporter.”

Although almost no details are known about the project THR did vaguely mention that Kevin Feige produced Star Wars film as a possibility.

“It is unclear where things stand in those talks. It is also unclear whether the project is separate from the one being developed by Kevin Feige, with whom he closely worked on Ragnarok, or a separate Star Wars project.”

Coming from someone who’s favorite film of 2019 was Jojo Rabbit, this is incredibly exciting news. Waititi has proven himself time and time again and as we saw in his episode of The Mandalorian, he knows how to make great Star Wars stories.

I’m hoping that he’s working with Kevin Feige on his Star Wars story because we’ve seen what those two have created together. Although it doesn’t matter what exactly he does, he’s such a wonderful storyteller that he could take on just about anything and I’d be first in line.

The timing of this is very interesting given that the next Star Wars film coming in 2022 is supposedly going to be announced this month. Is this a trial balloon to see fan reaction to Waitit’s involvement in the series? I kind of hope so, although he’s such a proven entity I can’t see anyone being upset with his involvement.

Hopefully, we'll know more soon!

Until then, check out the full report from THR here!

Godspeed Rebels!

13. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Jeff Sneider from Collider strongly believes this is the Taika Waititi project.

14. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Question is whether this coincides with the Project Luminous stuff.

15. Troy_Viszla

Troy_Viszla Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 2, 2018
    But it could possibly be that the Feige produced Movie is a Standalone not connected to the new series of Movies starting in 22.

Panakas_Dawg likes this.
  16. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    What’s “this?”

And dude. Sources/ links. Just every once in a while, it wouldn’t hurt.

17. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Latest episode of the Sneider Cut podcast.

18. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    You said “this” is the Waititi project. What does “this” refer to?

Ricardo Funes and zackm like this.
  19. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    "This" is the Tessek movie.

[​IMG]

Mostly Handless and Bor Mullet like this.
  20. DarthRosie

DarthRosie Jedi Master star 2

Nov 5, 2014
    Just a guess, but I'm think "this" means the title of the thread we are in. Feige is the producer, Taika is the director.

21. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Oh, OK. Since we don’t even know what “this” is (the Feige project), I assumed he was referring to something he’d read describing that substance of it. With no link or explanation, it’s hard to follow...

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
  22. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    Yeah I read all the new movies will be stand alones but idk I’d love Taiki to direct he’s great!

Bor Mullet likes this.
  23. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    Ricardo Funes likes this.
  24. Harbour

Harbour Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 15, 2015
    I have this feeling:

-400 years ago;
    -time of the Hight Republic;
    -team of a few Jedi goes into Unknown Regions under Jedi Council order;
    -during some actions they meet hot shot pilot and/or some smuggler plus some criminal who has some knowledges about Unknown Regions;
    -Under circumstances they form the team (essentially Guardians of Galaxy) and go on a adventure no one will return from;
    -Directed by Taika;
    -Produced by Feige.

Demon4x4, chrcharcor2 and Bor Mullet like this.
  25. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    I wonder how widely the net has been cast?

We've heard about Kevin Feige, and now Taika. And if course Rian and the GoT guys.

Maybe KK is just having lunch with whoever she can, seeing what stories and deals come along. There maybe be a bunch more that just haven't leaked out.

And I don't think this as to do with 2022. I think there's a solid plan for that. This is less defined.

Ricardo Funes likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.