main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Kylo Ren/Adam Driver Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Pro Scoundrel , Jan 3, 2020.

Tags:
  1. PendragonM

PendragonM Force Ghost star 4

Mar 7, 2018
    Such a tell - that’s a true Kylo fan. If someone tells me they think that it’s the most beautifully emotional moment in nine SW films, as Nina Garcia would say on Project Runway, I question their taste level.

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Most emotional moment is one thing, but when the argument is made that we are supposed to feel sorry for Kylo in that scene, that I feel like we’re living in separate realities.

3. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I think the overall idea that Kylo is himself a victim of some exploitation, abuse, and assault by a powerful figure like Snoke/Palpatine does have merit... but the sheer speed with which people skip over, downplay, and or try and recontextualize Kylo’s actions towards Rey (even when it’s just “he’s only antagonistic, not exploitive or abusive”) while still pushing Kylo as an abuse victim is a nasty double standard.

The sad fact that abuse tends to beget abuse could be useful in the ST’s story... but TLJ and other LFL material has no interest in admitting the full extent of Kylo’s evil, and in particular that of his actions towards Rey. He’s exceptionally vile towards her in comparison to most other villain/hero antagonisms in fiction, especially in regards to their non-physical interactions, which have that extra spiteful and icky context to them.

Ignoring the problematic aspects of Kylo that occur over the top of his being regular evil damages Rey’ story and his own since it can be directly tied to the lack of interest in actually explaining his fall’s dramatic relevance to the audience beyond making him a villain - the films expect investment already in the character and rejects both the possibility of disinterest in his story or in despising him on behalf of other characters.
    I think some people try and plug in an “absent and emotionally distant father” storyline because there’s an awareness that without something beyond Snoke/Palpatine speaking to him, Ben Solo becomes unsympathetic and, arguably worse, weak.

Ben Solo benefits the most from having the circumstances of his fall be extreme and hard to avoid, where almost anyone would fall to the dark side. He is hurt the most as a character, and particularly as a protagonist, if it feels like most people would avoid the fall, and especially of it feels like only someone would have to be stupid, selfish, and weak-willed to fall the way he did... because it gets hard to like someone who is all three of those things.

And LFL still not really analyzing how much trauma they need the character to experience in order to be sympathetic and relatable... leaving the audience to either just roll with it, reject it, or make up something for it.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
  4. alwayslurking

alwayslurking Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 21, 2019
    Videos and articles like the above are why some of us protest so strongly against Rey and Kylo's relationship in the ST. The fact that people (including RJ himself) describe Kylo's treatment of Rey as anything but abusive is quite disturbing. It is an incredibly damaging message. The fact that people defend it as "just being a movie for kids" is mind boggling... if anything, that makes getting this right 100 times more important.

5. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    I’ve been doing a lot of thinking about the overall story the ST tells and the more I think about the character of Ben Solo, the more I realize just how non-Vader he is and how non-Anakin his saving grace is. I believe the evil state of his character was intended to be inexcusable, and that’s why, I think, choices were made to avoid explaining his fall outside of Snokatine’s influence. They were intending to avoid audience sympathy. It’s conceivable that audiences might think or hope that he’s somehow salvageable because of emotional investment in the family, but not that they should find any avenue for justifying his existence except as a foil. His heart in TROS is not ennobled as he is not a fundamentally heroic character like Anakin. Rather, it is overpowered, first by Leia’s sacrificial Force Distraction, then by Rey’s choice to heal him, and then by the memory of his father. His sacrifice at the end was not a moment of spiritual fulfillment, but spiritual clarity. Whereas Vader always knew what he wanted and believed he permanently destroyed it until Luke’s presence showed him otherwise, Kylo never really knew what he wanted and believed he never would, until he realized that Rey’s life was important to him.

6. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    I advise against reading the clickbait articles that are completely mischaracterizing and flat-out making stuff up about both the video and a few vague tweets.

Here is the video where Daisy says she was told who her parents were when TFA was filming:

The more recent interview vid should be much easier to find. But she’s very very vague about the timeline and does not contradict what she previously said.

7. FightoftheForgotten

FightoftheForgotten Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2020
    Didn't Daisy do a web interview just after TROS came out where she said they changed it from Kenobi to Palpatine? It seems like she "knew" it was Kenobi in TFA, only for it to get changed.

8. PendragonM

PendragonM Force Ghost star 4

Mar 7, 2018
    She said after TFA that it was obvious whose child she was. If it was, why did I see two years of fighting on Tumblr?

9. FightoftheForgotten

May 19, 2020
    @JoJoPenelli

Yeah, she had no idea because it kept changing. At the 2:20 mark she says that even going into TROS they weren't sure who she was related to.

"It kept changing."
    -Daisy Ridley-

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
  10. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 7

Nov 21, 2012
    It doesn't matter who your second protagonist is, or who they're even related to, or not related to.

RetropME, ChildOfWinds and PendragonM like this.
  11. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    She said Kenobi was being tossed around but she never said when. It could have been in the early concept stage. She was extremely vague for a reason. And she’s never said who Rey was during TFA, prior to RJ apparently making her nobody.

ETA:
    Nothing Daisy says here contradicts her prior statement that JJ told her Rey’s parentage in TFA.

It’s very clear to my that Daisy is not at liberty to be straightforward about who JJ meant Rey to be circa TFA.

RetropME likes this.
  12. FightoftheForgotten

May 19, 2020
    Well, I'm gonna keep saying that they had no idea who her parents/grandparents were because that's what she said. And I quote Daisey Ridley, "It kept changing." And when she says that, she means leading up to TROS. The context of that quote, which I will type out again, "IT KEPT CHANGING" is during the lead up to TROS, the final movie of the ST. So for you to make the claim that Daisy "knew" all the way back in TFA that her gandfather was Palpatine goes against what she JUST SAID in that interview.

You can feel free to infer that her words don't actually mean what they mean all you want, but I'm not going to join you in your alternate reality.

13. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    I never said she knew her parentage was Palps in TFA. Daisy never said what her parentage was in TFA.

Clearly, what she was told - what was true - in TFA changed.

Her two interviews are not contradictory.

RetropME likes this.
  14. FightoftheForgotten

May 19, 2020
    Then I ask the question I posed before, what use is "knowing something" if it turns out not to be true?

If I tell you I'm buying a red car and so you tell other people that I'm going to buy a red car and I end up changing my mind and buying a blue car, would you still tell people you knew what color car I was going to buy?

"I knew he was going to buy a red car."

"But his car is blue."

"...I still knew."

Doesn't make any sense. Words have meaning. She may have THOUGHT she knew, but she didn't know.

15. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    It was true at the time Daisy was told it. Then it changed. The fact that it later changed does not retcon what JJ told her into a lie.

You truthfully told me you intended to buy a red car, then your intent changed and you bought a blue car.

No. I knew you intended to buy a red car.

You appear to be working under the assumption that the parentage Daisy was told in TFA had no impact on how JJ wrote TFA. I’m note sure why you’d think that.

16. FightoftheForgotten

May 19, 2020
    I literally watched a TEDtalk video where JJ compared his own movies to cheap junk you can buy at a magic shop, so when I say that JJ uses mystery boxes as a trick to get people to care even though he himself doesn't invest much in it, I know what I'm talking about. And when you compound on this the fact that JJ abandoned his first "mystery box" for another, it's not exactly helping your argument that he cared. He didn't care enough to keep it.

And more importantly, what use did it do Daisy to "know" where Rey came from if it ended up changing anyway?

17. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    Try bashing JJ to someone who cares in a conversation where it’s relevant.:p

Depends if one cares how films are developed. There are entire “making of” books for the OT and PT because many fans are interested how they were made. It’s fine if you’re not, ofc! But the fact that many are isn’t exactly a mystery.

The making of the ST strikes me as having been a cluster-*bleep* and to a degree I find it interesting why it was a cluster-*bleep.*

18. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    i don't feel sorry for him when he kills his father in much the same way as i don't feel sorry for Vader when he kills Padme. or indeed any character in a similar scene in any drama or literature.. i don't feel sorry for Hamlet or any other tortured soul whose commited acts most foul, but i do find them intensely dramatic and interesting

19. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I didn’t find it that either. I found all the over-the-top emoting annoying.

And the video that has been posted about psychoanalyzing Kylo attempts to evoke pity during that scene.

20. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    I did not find the scene that dramatic or emotional at all really. Just very predictable like all of TFA. The Ben and Han scene in TROS is good and genuinely emotional because Ben is actually repentant so that is why it works for me.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  21. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    For me, it worked in the same way that a mad scientist going "They called me MAD!!! did they?!?! They LAUGHED at me.... I'll show them, I'll show them all!!!"

It's not a perfect parallel, but I was viewing Kylo as a well acted version of a classically villainous archetype, and not as anything remotely resembling a protagonist. Dude was crazy and evil, and his clearly self-centered sorrow at killing Han - as shown by his "dead fish eyes" when Han touches his cheek and Kylo shoves him into the pit, before clearly getting annoyed at the pain it was causing him. Dude hated his guilty conscience like a good Card Carrying Villain trying to become The Unfettered.

That's where I think his utility was most promising, but also most misinterpreted by Johnson and others. There wasn't supposed to be sympathy with Kylo - pity, yes, in the way you pity a delusional madman, but no sympathy - and the dude was much closer to be the Joker than being Jason Todd.

I *do* think Abrams and others expected an eventual salvation for the character, but not as a POV-bearing protagonist or last minute hero. The Ben Solo you were supposed to care about was a child brainwashed seemingly beyond hope with a monstrous persona in his stead, not some adolescent or teenage character.

You weren't supposed to respect Kylo at all... and I think trying to offer him respect as part of some "bad boy" misinterpretation damaged the story beyond repair.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
    alwayslurking likes this.
  22. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    Kylo's beef with the galaxy, and himself, is that he's a half-blood prince.

I think they could have made Ben Solo someone who desperately wanted to rebuild the Jedi Order, but his major hang up is that he's not as powerful as he thinks he should be in order to accomplish this task. He can't escape the fact that while one side of him descends from the Chosen One, and is powerful, the other side is without any force ability whatsoever. And maybe he could be as powerful as Anakin, or Luke, (they had a non-force sensitive mother) but because he's focused on his resentment of his own father, he's not as strong as he could be. Maybe have him be someone who thinks the Order needs to be led by Skywalkers, all while Luke is determined to give up that power. He's determined to find nobodies across the galaxy, who simply believe in themselves, and find someone else to lead the Order. And that's Ben's problem. A lack of faith. (Kind of like...his father)

Hell...maybe that's what sends Ben over the edge. Luke finds a new leader, someone not in the family, and doesn't want to give the reigns over to Ben (for obvious reasons) and that hurts Ben. He thinks the Order, much like the Anakin saber, is his. And now that it won't be, he decides to destroy it all. He sets up his own Order, becomes Kylo Ren, and find his own knights.

And this would work great against a protagonist like Rey. A literal nobody. With no powerful parents. Who no inheritance. No legacy to rebuild. Who eventually finds Luke again, and gets trained. Those are motivations we can understand as an audience. The stakes are obvious.

But alas. That's not what he got.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
  23. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Why is every single idea I hear on here about the ST better than what we got?

24. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    Weird right? It's like they're so close. yet sooooooooo far away at the same time.

25. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    Ben Solo could have been the only legacy child in the ST - but if so, not a villain.

Funny how those who claimed Rey could be the protag of the ST without being a Skywalker later turned around and argued that Ben Solo was the true protag because....he was a Skywalker.