main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Kylo Ren/Adam Driver Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Pro Scoundrel , Jan 3, 2020.

Tags:
  1. PendragonM

PendragonM Force Ghost star 4

Mar 7, 2018
    Vader didn't kill Padme - at least I remember that much from my one viewing of ROTS. If there's a pattern, it's love a Skywalker and die. And also, what's your point? And the Skywalker Han loves is Leia.

He's wrong. He doesn't have a hand in what Kylo became - except for the fact that he sat by like an idiot for six years while Kylo went to join the Space Fascists and became a murderer. But Kylo going to join the Space Fascists is on HIM. It's not on LUKE.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  2. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    Padme died of a broken heart because Anakin became Vader and she lost the will to live. So he did kill her.

Luke stood over his nephew ready to kill him in his sleep: he contributed to ensuring his nephew had no hope, that Snoke is right about the Jedi.

3. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Vader/Padme and Kylo/Han is the wrong comparison. Kylo/Han is a disgusting reversal of Vader/Luke. In the OT, father and son saved each other. It was beautiful. In the ST, the son senselessly murders the father for no good, no justifiable, no understandable, no forgivable reason. It's just ugly, and the redemption undeserved.

Leia was largely "killed" by Kylo the way Padme was killed by Vader, and Luke was "killed" by Kylo the way Obi-Wan was killed by Vader. Leia died trying to reach out and put an end to Kylo. Padme died doing basically the same thing, going to Mustafar to try to dissuade Anakin. Kylo killed Luke largely the same way Vader killed Obi-Wan, with Obi-Wan sacrificing himself and giving up his life once his task of distracting Vader was done. They're obviously intentional mirrors, just grossly incompetent and unoriginal.

4. PendragonM

Mar 7, 2018
    So then by that comparison, Kylo killed Leia and Luke.

No hope? Seriously? He could have told Luke to go soak his head and gone home or on the road or anywhere but Snoke.

And, again, why did Luke do that? Kylo had already turned evil. Which he demonstrated by burning down the temple, killing his fellow students and joining the First Order. He had a choice and, to quote the Grail Knight, he chose poorly.

5. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    Luke did not create Kylo because he snuck into his room and almost killed him,

Ben was already a dark sider long before that night.

6. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    Blaming Luke for Kylo Ren is equivalent of blaming Mace Windu for Darth Vader. Trying to blame the single event instead of the entire path taken to the Dark Side.

7. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    Kylo burned down the temple and killed students because Luke tried to kill him. That is the sequence of events. Kylo trusts no one at that point.

Read my posts, I said “contributed to his fall, had a hand in it.”
    Kylo fell because of
    1) Himself, he made a choice
    2) But Luke’s betrayal
    3) Snoke’s grooming of him
    lead him to that choice.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2023
  8. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    Luke sure did set him off, though, and obviously completely failed in his responsibility to his nephew. Unlike Mace, Luke absolutely betrayed Kylo. Unlike Mace, Luke was responsible for Kylo's training. Unlike Mace, Luke had a deep personal connection to Kylo, owed him much more, and failed him much harder. Mace was much more sympathetic than Luke, which is sad.

We know hardly anything about Kylo's path to darkness, but like the PT Jedi, we know Luke and Leia neglected Kylo to the predations of an evil sorcerer, and failed to counter his influence. Did a bang up job raising the kid.

UnlimitedSarcasm and PendragonM like this.
  9. PendragonM

Mar 7, 2018
    So he could have left without burning down the temple or killing anyone. A doesn't have to lead to B in this case.

Maybe 3 leads to 1, but 2 does NOT because Luke clearly says that Kylo's heart was already turned. And after TROS, it isn't Snoke, it's Palps.

Yep. Thanks, "Larry's psyche" and "JJ's soul." A+ move there. The minute I read JJ prattling on about "fixing your parents' mistakes," I knew we were in trouble, but I didn't know it would be this bad.

Also, Kylo did such a great job turning evil, he killed the wrong parent. Han had nothing to do with Snoke doing anything to him. Then again, Kylo seems to have inherited nothing from his parents - brains, integrity, heart, soul, looks - so I guess it fits.

10. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    Luke’s “contribution” was not passing on his failures in his teaching. However none of his other students fell to the dark side did they? Nope just Ben.

Ben is fully to blame for his own fall. Luke did not create Kylo.

11. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    Just curious, why did you only watch ROTS once? I found it was better on rewatches.

12. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    Of course the outcome of a child is at least partially the responsibility of it's guardians. Otherwise, we wouldn't bother raising our kids.

PendragonM likes this.
  13. PendragonM

Mar 7, 2018
    I never got around to seeing any of the PT more than once, in the theater. I have the box set now and I should watch them again, I just haven't. I wasn't a PT fan. But it was that it didn't grab me, not like the ST, which offended me.

14. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    All choices are ripples in water, someone makes a choice it can make another create another ring, and yes they can choose differently, but when those you love abuse you or intend harm against you as Luke did to Kylo, it can lead a person in a certain path, yes they make the choice, but some choices are almost forced, if someone keeps harming your children over and over or something you love, you are prone towards certain actions. Emotion can make people do something horrible, and once they cross that threshold they sell themselves on the lie that they cannot go back, “its too late for me son.” (Vader, ROTJ).

15. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I avoid watching ROTS because Anakin does not use his brain and Padme completely lost her spine. For that reason I find it mostly unwatchable, although the beginning is great.

Yeah, Vader did not kill Padme. He assaulted her, and she decided to cave to the despair of suddenly forgetting she had an identity and purpose outside of Anakin, and ‘died of a broken heart.’

No. Kylo is 100 percent responsible for his own choices. While Luke should not have played the GFFA version ‘would you kill baby Hitler’ game, Kylo does not get a ‘but he made me’ defense.

Kylo could have done literally anything else than slaughter Luke’s Academy.

So? Are we giving passes to mass murderers because of their feelings?

The Jedi did not make Anakin participate in Order 66 either.

I read your point #1 and stop there.

At work I teach, ‘You are responsible for your own behavior, regardless of how anyone else behaves.’ Or ‘Another person making bad choices does not excuse your decision to make bad choices.’

We’re in a bad place if pop culture and the adults who write it are promoting the ‘But he made me’ defense as legitimate and excusable.

16. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    Hyperbole. Passes for murderers? I was explaining the time frame. Actually one vision has Kylo with his knights arriving to slaughter the other students. So it is unclear when in timeline that happens not that I think of it. Either he killed many students that night uncle Luke betrayed him, or he came back with the Knights of Ren.

Kylo is 100% responsible for his choices. But Luke and Snoke are guilty too. Their actions gave him the excuse he needed to make bad choices.

17. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    Luke played a part, just as Palpatine played a part in tempting Anakin. You can be tempted to the dark. Yes you make the plung, but others tempting you and treating you in a way that feeds your self justification to make the plung are factors.

18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Stating “their actions gave him the excuse he needed” reads like a ‘but he made me’ defense, which is giving Kylo a pass.

Luke and Snoke are only responsible for what they did—not what Kylo did.

As far as the temptation factor, I remember having this discussion with middle school students several years ago regarding the theft of cookies in the cafeteria—some of them tried to blame the cafeteria employees for putting the cookies on display where they would be “tempted,” and since they were “tempted,” if they stole a cookie it was not their fault.

That’s the argument I see when anyone blames Palpatine for “tempting” Anakin or Snoke (or Luke) for “tempting” Kylo.

Kylo is responsible for not engaging in that self justification, full stop.

Even if he thinks Luke “betrayed” him, he is not even a tiny bit justified in committing evil. His horrific “point of view” that he is justified (because ‘but he made me’) is not worth one iota of respect or consideration.

19. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    No, Kylo wanted an exuse, the actions done to him gave him his justification. People look for excuses. That’s my point.

Thinking back TFA Han does say, “there was too much Vader in him,” and Leia says she thought Luke could train him and change him. Which indicates Kylo had an innate darkness. That he already was falling before training with Luke.

20. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    No, the actions did not “give him his justification.” His stating that they did, would be his using a ‘but he made me’ defense.

People like Kylo might look for excuses but that does not mean the rest of society should honor or respect their thinking they have one by blaming someone else.

21. dagenspear

dagenspear Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 9, 2015
    Which isn't a motive or a goal for his actions.

22. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    If that’s your logic then Shmi is to blame for everything. Shmi created Vader and Kylo! What a horrible failure of a mother!

See? Your logic doesn’t hold up.

Ben made his OWN choices. No one else made him choose to be evil, He is only to blame for becoming Kylo and no one else.

Luke on the other hand is to blame for his own choices, including being a crap teacher and quitting once he realized that Ben murdered his students and was going to engulf the galaxy in evil.

This whole blaming everyone else in the galaxy for ripples instead of Ben is ridiculous.

23. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I can understand the idea that the concepts Kylo could have been are highly attractive or intriguing… but everything of the character’s substance and execution “earned” him death, the smallest fanbase of any major member of his family, and a lack of interest in seeing his story continue.

Frankly, he got off too well for a character that became merely a parasite, “thief,” and doom of the ST, the Skywalker Family story, and even Rey herself - because understand, there was never anything good about the relationship between Rey and Kylo for Rey. Like everything else from TLJ onwards. It was a storytelling decision about selling out everything interesting in one character for the sake of making another one seem better in comparison.

I get it; Kylo could have been a great new Skywalker protagonist, a sympathetic villain, and a million other things. I mean, he was never supposed to be the protagonist in the ST as per LFL’s own semi-dishonest publicity, but I get it.

But in actuality, as a character, Kylo is an unsympathetic, loathsome, entitled low-fucntioning sociopath who only has interest from people because of who his parents are, who his girlfriend is, and because of how the story tries to shift and change the rules of both drama and morality to favor him… which results in his family being killed off and simultaneously defamed and wasted, Rey being made into a fascist-enabling abused bit of arm-candy with the survival instincts of a lemming, and even other characters like Finn being sabotaged and spat on by the film out of fear he exposes how boring Kylo is.

He was intially an intriguing villain and an intriguingly unstable villain with a shot at being sympathetic. And again, I get he could have been more than that. But what he is is the singular black hole and event horizon wrecking the entire era when they try to treat the monster as though he’s stable and sympathetic while still having him eat babies and shoot puppies.

Like…
    …This is what I mean; there’s no way to tie any causality between “Luke scares Ben” and “Ben murders a bunch of uninvolved classmates” without embracing some kind of illogical, one-use-only, amoral favoritism for just Ben, that isn’t allowed for anyone else, and wouldn’t work even if it was anyways.

24. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    It's pretty easy to imagine how Luke threatens Ben leads to Ben killing classmates. What if they took up lightsabers against him in defense of Luke? I don't buy it, but there it is.

25. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Whilst I don't disagree with you, I think the whole thing is so vague and opaque (and not in a good sense) that's it's difficult to know. Was Ben already Kylo Ren by then, and in essence, he'd infiltrated the New Jedi order and was just awaiting the moment to strike? Or was Ben teetering on the edge of the darkside, and it was this confrontation/misunderstanding that sent him over? These questions are key in understanding Luke's part in it... and whilst this may have been covered in a novelisation, comic or Lego cartoon, that it isn't a major component of the ST, only speaks to the issues at the heart of these films... namely, the writers don't really know what the story is and who the characters are supposed to be. And if the writers don't know, how are we?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2023