main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MOD LACWAC Spoiler Policy Revision Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Garth Maul, Sep 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    We've got 2 weeks until the premiere of Season 3.

We've seen a lot of growth and new members in the last couple of years, and I'd to first remind you of the existing spoiler policy which can be found here

Remember that the current spoiler policy is that the events from a weekly episode can only be discussed in that episode's official thread and the general spoiler discussion thread (and any previous episode threads)!!! This is for a 2-week period after the US/Canada broadcast, and then the episode events are open game for ANY thread in LACWAC.

Certainly any information about FUTURE episodes will be considered spoilers and MUST be kept to the general spoiler discussion thread

We had some difficulty with different countries getting different broadcast dates and wanted to allow people discussion of the various events in TCW without being spoiled.

The question is: do we need to revise this policy? Already we've had a bunch of threads discussing events that we've seen in trailers for the upcoming season; things like the Ventress and Savage Oppress discussion threads.

It seems like most people are watching the show within a few days of the original broadcast, whether on television, iTunes, or some other method.

I think the policy is working well enough. We have a thread titled: Savage Oppress (Season 3 spoilers), which should warn people to stay away.

Remember as well that the clips from IGN and other places showing specific scenes from the given week's episode MUST be kept to the VIDEO CLIPS thread, because instead of a general trailer, the clips are "heavy spoilers" showing full scenes from the episode.

Please let us know what you think.

2. FistoFan93

FistoFan93 Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 27, 2009
    I guess two or three days after the original airdate would be fine instead of two weeks. Isn't it a good idea to make the video clips thread "sticky" so that you don't have to search for it every time you visit the forums.

3. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    I'm sure it'll be active during the season and bumped a lot. :p

4. Ludo_Kressh

Ludo_Kressh Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2005
    I think the current policies work pretty well...I haven't seen too many complaints from people being spoiled too much.

5. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    Time to bump this thread.

We tried to clamp down on spoilers for the Mortis trilogy specifically because it "directly" touched on events in the Saga.

For the past several months, I've seen increasing complaints about the material released by LFL, OS, Insider, TFN, etc.

Should we revamp our spoiler policy? Do we need to start making non-spoiler threads for each week's episode so that NO actual information is revealed in the thread until the episode airs?

6. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    I hete to be cynical, but I really don't think any policy changes will help. Not when the spoilers are blatantly stated right at the bottom of the page in the TF.N Latest News box.

7. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    For what it's worth, I never go through TFN main, I use direct bookmarks for LACWAC and other boards, and I've never even read what's in that box at the bottom of the page. It just doesn't catch my eye.

I think a rolling non-spoiler thread could be a useful experiment.

But it would be fine with me if people just black highlighted the spoilers in the episode threads.

My biggest issue is the threads that post the spoilers in their titles, like the Liam Neeson thread a couple of weeks ago. (and the 'captain' thread before its title changed)

Perhaps it's an idea to make it a rule not to reveal spoilers in thread titles?

I suppose it's not a good idea to discuss every single spoiler in the series thread, because some things really need their own thread.

I used to not mind spoilers, but they've been really, really bad this season. LFL have literally been spoiling everything they could think of.

8. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    I think it's a matter of choice if people don't want to get involved with those threads. If they don't want to get spoiled, they should avoid the thread. The (spoilers allowed) tag should be a clue.

To be honest, I see no reason why we should have separate threads for no spoilers.

9. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    That's why I thought maybe non-spoiler versions of each episode discussion thread might help - because people still want to speculate about what happens, but they don't want the actual result ruined.

And certainly we should be careful about thread titles - I can just imagine when LFL leaks what happens to Cad Bane or Ahsoka that people are going to lose their minds.

10. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    Instead of separate episode guide NS threads, perhaps one main discussion thread for non spoilers?

Yeah, didn't see this old thread that's been bumped. :p http://boards.theforce.net/live_action_clone_wars_classics/b10467/29240872/p1/?21

11. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    I agree. If you look down now, you can see the latest spoiler clearly. Bit hard to expect members to follow a policy when the main site, the sister site (rebelscum) and the official site are spoiling everyone.

12. Humble_Jedi

Oct 14, 2004
    I never pay attention to that box... I'm sure I'm not the only one. I guess it's because it looks like an advertisement.

13. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    I never even knew there was a news box down there!

14. Darth_Tarkus

Darth_Tarkus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2011
    I agree with all of this, especially the end. The whole upcoming Tarkin thing is spoiled for me because two people put it in two different thread titles within the same day. I hates me some spoilers.

And discussing the show here is the extent of my Clone Wars activities on the internet, so regardless of if it's in preview clips everyone's seen or all over the TF.N main page they're all spoilers for me. [face_worried]

15. XCell

XCell Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 7, 2004
    I think just having people black highlight spoilers would be fine. I don't suppose thread titles be can highlighted out? If not then, I think it would be considerate not to make spoiler titles, even if TFN's news does.

Wouldn't it be nice if they made that news box at the bottom a drop-down menu, like for the forums, so you don't have to see the news articles? Wishful thinking, I know.

16. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    You know, I vaguely recall during the old 3NS or 2NS days that we were able to essentially "adblock" the news box from the non-spoiler forum.

I can ask around in MS because that would be a good idea I think.

Certainly people have to be more careful with their thread titles. Especially for things like, for example, Tarkin, why do we have to have a separate thread? Why not discuss it in the general discussion thread?

17. FistoFan93

FistoFan93 Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 27, 2009
    I don't think a non-spoiler thread would be of any use, since we are all here to discuss the up-to-date news. This could lead to pretty useless discussions. I think it's very clear now: general spoilers/news belong to the general thread, clips and previews spoilers in the thread of the same name and everything directly related to an episode in the respective episode thread. Perhaps it is a good idea to not allow spoilers in titles, even though I think those "OMG this character is in TCW" threads shouldn't be created at all, since this can be discussed in the general thread. The thing is, if you want to be sure you aren't spoiled at all, it is unwise to visit these forums in the first place.

We should just hope that the OS etc. will be a bit more secretive in the future of the show.

18. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I actually stopped coming to this forum as often because of the spoilers in the thread titles themselves. I know this can't be avoided, but what I would like to suggest, and maybe it should be brought up in the COMMS forum is that we should have a SPOILER forum and NON-SPOILER forum concerning TCW series like we had two separate forums back in 2003 where there was the ROTS spoiler forum and the non-spoiler forum.

Thoughts?

19. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    Hey TTT, there was some discussion of that a year or two ago, at least with me and the2ndQuest.

We had decided at that point that there simply wasn't enough interest in a non-spoiler forum to make it worthwhile; the film forums when the PT films were being released had a far larger number of posters and general interest; this is one of the more active SW-related fora on the JC, but do we need a non-spoiler forum?

I think if we are careful about thread titles, we've removed the TFN newsbox, and people stick to the non-spoiler discussion thread until the episode is aired, we should be safe.

I would also like to hear people's thoughts on moving discussion of ANY preview clips only to the preview clips thread. We used to allow discussion of the preview they would show at the end of last week's episode, because so many people watched it, but we can change that if necessary.

20. Humble_Jedi

Oct 14, 2004
    Separate forums wouldn't work well with this small community, in my opinion. Then we'd TRULY have a separatist movement. [face_laugh]

I WILL NOT LET THIS FORUM THAT HAS STOOD FOR A THOUSAND THREADS BE SPLIT IN TWO! [face_skull]

Personally, I'm fine with:

- Spoilers in the series thread
    - Previews (any of them, including the one at the end of an episode) in the preview thread
    - Separate topics are fine with me, so long as the titles don't give it away

Just preferably no spoilers or preview discussion whatsoever in the episode threads.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.