main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Lando Lando's not a TV Show, he's a FILM.

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by Todd the Jedi , Dec 10, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Or - hear me out - hateful fans aren't the ones who buy most of the tickets.

2. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    every fantasy story, every sci fi story, every space adventure story is escapism

in fact every work of fiction, whether it's a novel or a film is escapism

heck even documentaries based on the real world could be considered escapism, you watch the documentary and get lost or caught up in whatever cool thing Attenborough is taking about now, and you forget about your own life for a while

so I really don't think escapism by itself begins to explain the success that star wars has had

Last edited: Feb 5, 2024
  3. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Well the first Star Wars movie was a huge unexpected hit. Most people say how they remembered the moment you see the star destroyer move over the camera for the first time and how they were so amazed. I’d argue that fascination was escapism. Which is part of what made Star Wars this big thing for children of the 80s. And even children that grew up with the PT. Even though the PT got a bad wrap by a lot of people who grew up with the OT.

I mean how long have fans been waiting for the next Empire strikes back that they keep coming back for the quality for the last 30 years? Especially in a time where 70% of Star Wars is seen to be bad by various amounts of fans. Star Wars has stubborn fans I guess.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2024
    rocknroll41 and Sarge like this.
  4. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    My current most effective televised escapism is The Food That Built America on History Channel.

starfish likes this.
  5. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    Hope the quality holds up.

6. starfish

Oct 9, 2003
    the food that built Bespin

Calrissian Chronicles episode 67

7. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Force Ghost star 8

Jun 14, 2002
    Well there was that story in ESB From a Certain Point of View about the Cloud City chef.

rocknroll41, BigAl6ft6 and starfish like this.
  8. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012

Right from the man himself. He has creative control over the film. This should be good.

9. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    Nice.

I fully expect Lando to narrate his adventure now.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2024
    Bor Mullet, Sarge and Nom von Anor like this.
  10. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Full creative control?

#ReleaseTheLord&MillerCut

11. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Creative control is good, for sure... I do still wonder, though, if he had any say over the move from TV series to movie.

12. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    This is encouraging.

rocknroll41 likes this.
  13. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I haven’t watched the history channel in years. Is it still most reruns of Pawn Stars? I remember loving how the Earth was made. I bought them on DVD lol

14. Jedi Master Frizzy

Jedi Master Frizzy Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Saw this on Reddit leaks, a logline from when it was a Disney plus series, wonder how mutch has changed. But it sounds like we could get both Lando's. Tie into TROS sounds like.
    [The Trail Blazer](https://www.thetrailblazer.net/p/ex...urassic?utm_source=profile&utm_medium=reader2) about the Lando Production Weekly listing:

>In addition to these report, Rich Browski’s production listing magazine [Production Weekly](https://www.productionweekly.com/pr...rsday-february-29-2024-178-listings-38-pages/) also included updates on the Lando spin-off film starring Donald Glover as the younger Lando he played in Solo: A Star Wars Story. Donald and Stephen Glover are writing and producing, with filming listed as beginning in Q1 2025 in the UK. The logline for this project from when it was being developed as a Disney+ series reads:

>“A Star Wars series based on the Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi scoundrel Lando Calrissian (Donald Glover). In his youth, Lando was a sportsman seeking a fortune at the sabacc tables. After he lost his beloved ship to Han Solo, Lando spent years living the high life and pursuing getrich-quick schemes, with uneven results. He went semi-respectable as the baron administrator of Cloud City, only to be drawn into the fight against the Empire. After a personal tragedy, Lando sought solace in isolation on Pasaana, unaware that the galaxy would need him again.”

Last edited: Mar 3, 2024
    whostheBossk likes this.
  15. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    That’s literally just a description of Lando’s on-screen life from Solo to The Rise of Skywalker. Its doesn’t reveal anything new or imply anything about the TV series’/movie’s story.

16. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I suppose the bit about a "personal tragedy" is new. Is that referring to his daughter?

Sarge likes this.
  17. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    Yep, that's it. Though that dialogue was cut from the movie, her disappearance is mentioned in the TROS visual dictionary and thus part of the canon.

Her name was Kadara Calrissian, by the way.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2024
    Krueger likes this.
  18. Jedi Master Frizzy

Jedi Master Frizzy Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I might read it as it was a reveal something new, :p

19. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I just finished reading Shadows of the Sith, which was all about Lando hunting down Ochi of Bestoon with Luke, and trying to find Exegol-it wasn't a bad read at all! There's alot about Kadara in that book as well.

20. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    Oh yeah, I believe the name Kadara was introduced in that book (derived from Lando Kadar, which was his name before they came up with Calrissian).

Last edited: Mar 5, 2024
  21. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Shadow of the Sith is a great novel. Really helps flesh out TROS

22. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    https://www.dexerto.com/tv-movies/lando-star-wars-release-date-cast-plot-details-2613137/

From the original Lando:
    "As for whether Billy Dee Williams would be keen to reprise his role should the Lando movie require an older version of the character, the Radio Times asked, and Williams responded with: “Pay me a lot of money and I’ll sell my soul"

My wife got me Billy Dees new book with Lando on the cover, its great. Saw him live in Chicago for its release.

From new Lando:
    "I’d much rather spend time with people that I enjoy. It just has to be the right thing, and I think it could be. Lando is definitely somebody I like to hang out with.”

I feel both are committed to make this happen. Should be fun to see. I would like it to take place a few years after Solo movie and include Lando needing Han's help with something. Maybe get Lando's family situation in there and meet them. Have him totally down and then he wins big on something and toward the end gets to take control of Bespin.

Sarge likes this.
  23. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    Personally i don't feel like you need Billy Dee Williams in this film. if you are doing a young Lando it sounds good to do the whole bookend thing but its not needed, and its often very complicated to pull off. If you are just jumping onboard a story then its easy, if you are setting up a story it requires a reason for this character to be reminiscing at all. Which is often harder/

And its also easy to seem silly if he is in a rocking chair saying ah I remember when I first found cloud city, let me tell you the story kids!

It would be nice to keep Billy Dee Williams around in Star Wars. But I dunno if that's the place to do it.

Last edited: May 13, 2024
    rocknroll41 likes this.
  24. starfish

Oct 9, 2003
    Calrissian Chronicles require an older Lando narrating his younger self's adventures

also I don't know why you wouldn't include Billy Dee Williams, he's awesome plain and simple

BigAl6ft6, EHT, ShayaLothal and 5 others like this.
  25. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I've always thought/hoped Billy Dee would bookend the flick