main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Least favorite Star Wars film and Why (Revised)

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by DBPirate, May 10, 2020.

?

Which Star Wars film is your least favorite?

1. Episode I: The Phantom Menace

19 vote(s)
    7.1%
  2. Episode II: Attack of the Clones

43 vote(s)
    16.1%
  3. Episode III: Revenge of the Sith

6 vote(s)
    2.2%
  4. Episode IV: A New Hope

1 vote(s)
    0.4%
  5. Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back

4 vote(s)
    1.5%
  6. Episode VI: Return of the Jedi

3 vote(s)
    1.1%
  7. Episode VII: The Force Awakens

42 vote(s)
    15.7%
  8. Episode VIII: The Last Jedi

62 vote(s)
    23.2%
  9. Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker

87 vote(s)
    32.6%
  1. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014
    If I'm not mistaken, the TF is trying to get the Naboo to sign an agreement to allow use of the hyperspace lanes, and using it as a pretense to invade. Of course, as Palps is the one pulling the strings, we know it's really just a sham and being done solely to propagate the notion that Valorum needs to be removed from the Chancellorship. I don't recall anything that would suggest that the Naboo rely on trade, even with the blockade. Of course, I could be mistaken, but I am Chuck Norris, so not likely.......;):p:D

2. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Non-Sequitur. In any event, I think you could make a reasonable assumption of Naboo's economy. Blockages are not normally imposed unless the country imposing the blockage reasonably expects it would have an impact on the country on which it is imposed. But you do raise the valid point that the blockage was a façade imposed on reason totally unrelated for its normal purpose.

Darth Chuck Norris likes this.
  3. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    According to the opening crawl of TPM, "Hoping to resolve [the issue of the taxation of trade routes to outlaying star systems] with a blockade of deadly battleships, the greedy Trade Federation has stopped all shipping to the small planet of Naboo. While the congress of the Republic endlessly debates this alarming chain of events,..."
    In her first appearance, Amidala refers to it a a "trade boycott," so this is specifically the shipping of trade goods. And of course Naboo relies on shipping to it, otherwise this wouldn't constitute an "alarming chain of events."

Watcherwithin likes this.
  4. KyloLukeLeia

KyloLukeLeia Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 10, 2020
    TLJ. That was the only SW film that I just didn't enjoy in the theater, and never went back for mulitple viewings. Sorry, I just don't want to watch Luke act like an a**hole for 2+ hours after not seeing him on screen for 30 years. Now if he had a larger role in Episode 7, and they developed him to be this grumpy old man, then they would have earned the right to show that transformation. But the lightsaber flip will still go down as the ultimate insult to SW fans. By the time Leia was floating in space, I literally checked out of the movie. I remember going to dinner with my best friend after the movie and I tuned out so much I didn't even realize that Snoke was killed when he told me. LOL

5. Leni Skywalker

Leni Skywalker Jedi Youngling

May 2, 2021
    My least favorite film is The Last Jedi for many reasons. They ruined Luke's character and Luke is my favorite character by far. I don't like any of the sequels but the way they portrayed Luke just made me hate the movie. First of all making Luke going into exile and making him almost kill Ben, just made him look bad. Luke is still my favorite but the way they made him in the sequels ruined him. And overall TLJ was just boring.

6. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    still Attack of the clones by a very long way. and people say the ST was rushed. Kudos tho for George trying new technology but still looks like a computer game in places. Still love it tho

7. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    To pass a *final* judgement on it, I would agree. One typically *does* need to pass a preliminary judgement on the potential a movie has to be an enjoyable experience, before one sees it in the first place. A judgement, at the very least about whether or not watching it could be worth two hours on one’s time. Exceptions to that might include movies that begin playing in front of someone without that person’s choice, such as if the tv happens to be on while the person is doing jigsaw puzzles or something.

Darth__Lobot and darthfettus2015 like this.
  8. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    oddly I really enjoyed it on initial cinema viewing on a really big screen (Leicester Square. London, opening night) but does not look as good on a small screen and you can tell TPM is celluloid despite all the CGI.. whereas apart from a few mind-blowingly wonderful shots it mostly looks naff

9. DarthKreVass

DarthKreVass Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 27, 2008
    That was the ONLY part of the movie I didn't like. I didn't hate it, but for me that was over the top for the first time Leia showed her Jedi abilities. Too Mary Poppins like for me. But, it didn't ruin the movie for me.

10. maranatusIX

maranatusIX Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 9, 2021
    I've tried.....I've really honestly tried to like the Sequel Trilogy.
    Hell....my wife's first SW film was Episode: IX, when she suprised me for my birthday when it came out.
    It didn't respect what came before it though.
    Totally ignoring the PT, until TROS when they realized the PT actually does have fans.
    Even then just tossing references in like having someone ask for some chips from your bag and offering then the crumbs at the bottom.
    To soiling Luke's character.
    It definitely feels like a,
    "This is how I would have made Star Wars",
    Rather than a,
    "How can we build on an already established story?".

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
  11. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    I wouldn't say TROS respected the PT so much as threw in a few details from it. And it totally craps on Anakin's story and role in the saga. Some faceless cameos by Jedi ghosts and using "the dark side is unnatural" line as an excuse to bring back Palpatine doesn't cut it for me.

wobbits and Count Yubnub like this.
  12. Awushi Awere

Awushi Awere Jedi Knight star 2

May 11, 2020
    I still don't get why some people want this “whiny loser“ to be the permanent only hero for all times.

13. Saga_Symphony

Oct 30, 2010
    Pretty sure Rey and the others can be heroes without defeating a resurrected Palpatine or another Empire.

wobbits and Samnz like this.
  14. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I voted for TROTS. But my least favorite is a tie between TLJ and TROS. I don't know which is worse. My primary problem with those two is the Reylo quandary. The other is how Luke is out of character in TLJ. Not to mention how both Leia and Luke shouldn't have died in either. I feel that Rey was mistreated as a character by both directors. Plus, I may like Adam Driver, but I hate Kylo Ren.

It's funny how AOTC was once my least favorite, but I now like it better than the entire Sequel Trilogy.

My rankings of the films:

1. Tie between R1 and TESB
    2. ROTJ
    3. ANH
    4. ROTS
    5. Tie between TPM and Solo
    6. AOTC
    7. TFA
    8. Tie between TLJ and TROS

Last edited: Jun 26, 2021
  15. maranatusIX

maranatusIX Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 9, 2021
    Instead we get a (Baz Edit: NO) who had inconveniences and always rushed around saving everyone else.
    Luke and Anakin are great at lots of things, but these characters are flawed. I won't get into Anakin's flaws, but Luke is impatient in ESB and leaves Yoda early to try to save his friends. That's a flaw. Nothing that Rey does is a flaw, per se. She's constantly imparting wisdom on characters ("I bypassed the compressor!")
    Never needing someone to hold her hand and learning Jedi skills on her own.
    While in the OT and PT they needed each other to get thru the day.

The term "Mary Sue' is misogynistic.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2021
    SateleNovelist11 and Darkslayer like this.
  16. Ash_Skywalker

Ash_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 7, 2021
    I voted for TROS.

Darkslayer and Sarge like this.
  17. rocknroll41

rocknroll41 Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2013
    Serious question: for those of you who say TLJ is your least-favorite, specifically because of how Luke was portrayed… What exactly were you expecting after TFA clearly said he went into self-imposed exile and ghosted all his friends for five or six years? “Luke blamed himself, he just walked away from everything.”

By that logic, shouldn’t TFA be all your least-favorites? Rather than TLJ? The way I see it, TLJ was just playing the cards that TFA had dealt it.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2021
  18. Saga_Symphony

Oct 30, 2010
    ^TFA implied some things, but didn't confirm very much.

TLJ confirmed... and then some.

I don't buy the "But TLJ was only continuing what TFA started" argument, and I don't know why people repeat it. Nothing about TFA insisted Luke had to be portrayed the way he was in TLJ for things to be consistent. Plus, he wasn't even in TFA but for a couple seconds. There's hardly any portrayal there to hate.

But then we see it in full in TLJ, and... he's all the things Han said, and worse.

It's like... which do you hate more, the film where one character merely comments that "So-and-so left us all behind and turned his back on everything", or do you hate the film that actually shows you he's exactly what that one characters says, plus adds in even more jarring and unlikeable things about him?

I go with the latter.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
  19. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Everything TFA implied to was proven correct so yess TFA should be the main tartget for any wrong doing that fans don't like.

rocknroll41 likes this.
  20. Saga_Symphony

Oct 30, 2010
    ^Not for me. TLJ is the film that confirmed those things, and then did worse things to Luke's character. So no. TLJ is still my least favorite.

21. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    There was so much room for interpretation for what happened to Luke. But sure angry bitter Luke was the only way.

wobbits, Darkslayer and mtt02263 like this.
  22. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    IT the one thing that makes perfect sense at least to me. He probaly watched all this kids grow and then die.

rocknroll41 likes this.
  23. mtt02263

mtt02263 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 29, 2020
    Luke could have been off searching for knowledge, artifacts, things to help explain where the Jedi went wrong and how to improve. Maybe meditating on where he went wrong, waiting for the Force to show him the way ahead, maybe even waiting for Rey. To say that the only possible way forward from TFA was Luke doing absolutely nothing and leaving everyone including his sister and best friend/brother in law to die at his nephew's hand is disingenuous at best. There are many directions Luke's story could have gone in, we just got the most miserable interpretation possible and in addition, they killed him in post-production to put the cherry on top.

24. rocknroll41

rocknroll41 Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2013
    Why did he ghost Han, Leia, etc then? Why not tell them exactly where he was going? Why not keep in touch? EDIT: furthermore, if he were still in tune with the force, wouldn’t he have sensed Han in danger and go help the heroes on Starkiller base in TFA?

Fredrik Vallestrand likes this.
  25. Saga_Symphony

Oct 30, 2010
    TFA offered a setup and many questions about that setup, and TLJ gave us the answers. A lot about the reception of Luke's character depended on those answers, and almost all the answers ended up showing him in a negative light. Cue all the backlash and disappointment. I think it's pretty easy to understand.

LedReader and Darkslayer like this.