main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lou, KY LGA guild on SWTOR

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by xanatos1975, May 4, 2011.

1. xanatos1975

xanatos1975 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2004
    OK for those of you that were at the meeting tonight I have made the LGA guild on the official site. For those of you that wish to join (PLEASE DO [face_praying]) go to the official site and create a profile:

http://www.swtor.com/

join the guild here:

http://www.swtor.com/guilds/77969/lga

and I have a guildlaunch page (those that play WoW will know what this is):

http://lgaswtor.guildlaunch.com/

the last one please register and join as well.... when the game hits, this will make playing and conversing a WHOLE lot easier.

2. jedimika

jedimika FanForce Chapter Rep star 4

Apr 2, 2008
    Okay went ahead and signed up. Never played a MMORPG and not sure if I'll even play it as I don't even have time to play my console games, but if there's anyone I'd want to learn with it's you guys.

3. xanatos1975

Feb 1, 2004
    cool mika... if you have any questions, ill be happy to answer to the best of my knowledge

I have gone with a different name for a guild.... Blood Pact. This is the name of the guild I have on WoW and I still like it so yeah lol.

Anyone who wants to join go here:
    http://www.swtor.com/guilds/80161/blood-pact

4. Kius

Kius Jedi Youngling

Mar 26, 2011
    Ahh, dear Xanatos...

Tis a Sith guild- I cannot join. For, you see, I am a noble defender of the Republic!

5. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    I favor the light side as well but since I'm still learning I'll pick up my gaming skills (and make all my mistakes) with the Sith and then take them over to the Jedi side[face_laugh]

6. Kius

Kius Jedi Youngling

Mar 26, 2011
    I actually quite like the concept that the Sith can *be the good guys* In that they are outcasts, finally taking back what was once rightfully theirs.

I fully intend on rolling a Sith Inquisitor... but first comes the Jedi Consular and Trooper.

7. Yoda_Jammies

Yoda_Jammies Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2003
    This is not a post to rain on anyone's parade:

I think an LGA guild would be awesome. However, I am staying as far away from this game as possible. Not becouse I don't think it will be cool. No, it is becouse it will be like crack to me. "Hey Jammies, want to be a bounty hunter from star wars and go on adventures with all your friends?" Of course I do! A lot! Like, 20 hours a day. I've wanted to do this since I was 4!

If I played this game, I would't go to work, I wouldn't eat, I wouldn't see the sun at all, I woudn't bath, I wouldn't date, I woudn't read books or comics, I wouldn't work on models, I wouldn't call friends and family-- I'd just be dusting a bunch of kriffing mandos, or sith, or repub scum, or whatever.

I also have major issues with the continuity of the game within the greater context of the EU-- but purhaps that should be a different post. Or, no post at all: if no one wants to ehar my rant.

The game does look like Wizard fun. I wish you all the best, and that you all roll nat 20s.

MTFBWY
    Jammies

8. xanatos1975

Feb 1, 2004
    well through the years and wasted time on other MMO's I have learned the valuable tool to stop playing when needed.... I set aside time when I wish to play and don't play any more outside of that. Trust me I have like 7 years experience with MMO's (4 in WoW, 2 in Galaxies, and 1 in Asheron's Call) and that is the best way to do it... the hard part is getting the self control of knowing when to say when. I do have some bad news for you all that are gonna be playing.... seems an old friend of mine will be playing republic at launch and I will probably going to be in his guild. He has extensive experience at leading a guild (vanilla WoW, for those who know what that means) and is a fair leader. As soon as he lets me know the guild name I can pass it down to those wishing to join.

BTW... EPIC DATE..... <<<<<<Dec 20, 2011>>>>>> RELEASE DATE FOR SWTOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Kius

Kius Jedi Youngling

Mar 26, 2011
    Anyone else in Beta? Also, there's a thread (actually, two) about Kentucky players on the BioWare forums. Quite a few people live in Louisville that are planning to play TOR, and have expressed an interest in meeting up.

What better way than to host a little get-together? I'd suggest somewhere that everyone can get to on a TARC if need be. Perhaps a meet and eat, like at a fast-food joint to keep costs low, and include everyone.

At present, I would love to join a LGA guild, but am currently in a guild with other testers. That's all I can really say about it, but when the game goes live, I'd really like to join the LGA's guild.

So, who's down to do a TOR get-together?

10. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    What? Online gamers meet in "real life"? Have you never watched "The Guild"? [face_laugh]

No, I'm not in Beta. Do you have a link to the area with the KY/Louisville members? If someone plans a TOR get together I'd probably be in depending on my schedule. I'm always up to meet more Star Wars fans.

I'm kinda leaning towards Jammies view right now. I don't think I'd have the time for it. I just recently finally got around to playing Fallout 3 (that's how far behind I am in video games) and I've already got 40+ hours in it and nowhere near the end (that I can tell). Every time I play for even 2 hours I think "Wow, I could have done a lot on my costume work load in 2 hours". I'm interested in seeing how far you can go in single player mode in TOR. I MIGHT have time to play on occassion but I couldn't set a schedule with a guild/group of people I think.

11. xanatos1975

Feb 1, 2004
    well it looks like you can do enough quests and other things in TOR to get level cap (highest level in game) but not much further.... from my experience in WoW, it really gets fun after that because you can really start getting into endgame material... i.e.- raids, pvp action etc. I will be in a guild with some of my friends from school, that's why (unfortunately) i deleted the LGA guild from the official site, and applied to his. If anyone else is interested in joining its called "Got a Bad Feeling" and its on the republic side. They are good people in the guild that is why I'm joining his

12. Kius

Kius Jedi Youngling

Mar 26, 2011
    Hehehe, can't say I have. But I'm sure we can create some adventures... Hardcore fandom meets economically stressed MMO players... hmmm...
    http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=357261

I'm definitely planning something. In fact, I'll be planning quite a few things, mainly in-game. I can't go in to details at the moment, but they should be pretty fun.
    Without going in to too much detail about how far you can go solo (NDA is still in effect, and it's pretty strict), I can say this: Far.

I, too, have a tight schedule for video games. I'm currently trying to find a second job, as the one I have now is only part time, and I have a Padawan on the way (due in March- IT'S A BOY!) So I feel your pain. There's a few guilds out there, Old Republic Dads, for example, that are very flexible and understanding to the adult gamers' schedules. We'll be setting up a guild during launch, if not right before, along similar values.

Again, without going in to too much detail, the endgame *is* fun, from the trailers we've seen. A guild is an awesome way to get a group of players to run the endgame stuff with. PUGs work, but are not very organized. Especially in PvP (one of my areas of expertise). A good guild will really help a lot in this aspect of the game.

13. xanatos1975

Feb 1, 2004
    that quote was in reference to being in a guild as opposed to not.... u can get to endgame without being in a guild but it gets more fun after that if you are in one

14. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Ki, thanks for the info, it's nice to have someone "on the inside" even if you're limited in what you can share. Can you say if there's a tutorial at the beginning of the game/character creation like other video games?

Thanks for that Ky players link. I'm surprised at how many people there are.

Heh, Old Republic Dads...that made me chuckle.

But most of all congrats on the future padawan!

15. Kius

Kius Jedi Youngling

Mar 26, 2011
    Thank you :) Really excited (and scared lol). Biggest thing right now is trying to find a second source of income.

Anyhow... as far as information about the game, the only thing we are legally allowed to say is:

1. There is a Game Test Program.
    2. I am a member of the Game Test Program.

That's about it. I'm not sure about the publicly released info as far as if there are or aren't tutorials...(I'm such a horrible fan site admin guy lol... but not for long!)

But other MMOs have them. I would suspect TOR would, too ;)

16. xanatos1975

Feb 1, 2004
    Mika... If its anything like wow... and thus far bioware has followed the same formula so i don't see this as being any different... the first few levels you play as are a kind of tutorial... they are easy levels to get you used to the controls, interacting with other characters, and combat as much as possible.... if you are still having problems... ask someone... chances are there are people that will be nice enough to either help you or take you under their wing and coach you through it. When I started wow I was lucky enough to find the later almost as soon as I started playing and became good friends with him.

17. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Okay gamers...some questions...

Took part (briefly) in the beta test that went on this last weekend. I noticed my character graphics took more than a couple of seconds to render and movement/action was very jerky. Is this the dreaded "lag" or do I need a better processor? Graphics card? the sound/dialogue came through clear without any stutters. The introductory video was fine. I was playing on my average laptop as I couldn't get the program to load on my couple of years old desktop.

My first gaming experience was pretty negative. In addition to the problems above you jump right into play...no tutorial. I'm faced with a screen of graphics and icons I have no idea what they mean or what keys to press (I've never played a computer game...only console) and I see a conversation going on the the corner between two players discussing how the food in WOW is really bad (?). I logged out after about 3 minutes.

18. xanatos1975

Feb 1, 2004
    well there is a reason behind the lag... it is the weekend for the SWTOR stress test to see if their servers can handle a lot of people playing... it will be laggy at first due to the influx... I have also beta tested this game recently and have found other problems of the game that i did not like besides the lagging... I was not a fan of the UI (User Interface) or of the overall gameplay... missions seemed difficult to find as well as where to go to complete them... mind you when WOW first came out it wasn't as easy as it is now, there just seem to be way too many negative aspects of the game for me than positives. At this time I am not going to be playing SWTOR and will probably stick with WOW for the time being... seeing as I have invested like 4 years into my character.

If you still enjoy the game besides the lag, I say stick with it... it will get better, there will be aspects you will have to get used to... as far as no tutorial, WOW is the same way... the first 10 levels are very easy, so it is, in a sense, a bit of a tutorial. You just have to get used to the controls.

19. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    I had some Amazon credit so I pre-ordered the game a while ago so I will be playing but maybe just not right away. I'm hoping the game will come boxed with an intro guide of some sort.

Thanks for the info Xan, I wasn't sure if it was "lag" or hardware problems on my end. Plus the darn thing took 6 hours to download but I later found out that was pretty normal.

20. xanatos1975

Feb 1, 2004
    no prob... yeah I had the same download time as well and I have a very good laptop just short of a gaming PC... I might wait for the obligatory free stage when they have a free trial of the game lol... I was planning on buying the collector's edition myself but thought differently as of now... here is for hoping that it becomes like a fine wine and betters with age lol.

21. Kepare

Kepare Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 6, 2010
    I can say not much has changed since the most recent betas in terms of gameplay. The engine is smoother, though Shadows eat a TON of resources. Switching between high and low shadows actually doubled my average framerate. As far as launches go, it looks like it will be solid. The packaging has a keyboard layout, but your best bet is still a more experienced player and paying attention to the screen prompts.

22. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Been playing for a little while now. Since I pre-ordered I got early access in advance of the launch date. I only get to play for 1-2 hours at a time so I?m not burning up the levels but I?m still having fun. I?m really enjoying the story aspects of the game and will probably try all the classes eventually just for that reason. Right now I?m trying Jedi Knight, Jedi Consular and Smuggler.

The lag is still killing me though even with the graphics turned down. Sound/dialogue comes through well though. And it seems the lag is worse on Tython and better on Ord Mantell, even when there are fewer players on Tython. Maybe all the grasslands and outdoorsy stuff chews more power than the streets of Ord Mantell. The lag is literally killing my Jedi Knight though. Because he?s a melee fighter he has to be up on his opponent and with the lag I?ll end up facing the wrong direction as I?m getting whomped on. My Jedi Consular is a little better since she has some ranged attacks and can hang back a little. The Smuggler I like best of all since she is all ranged and the lag on Ord Mantell isn?t as bad. Plus I like her snark. I think the Smuggler is the most fun to play so I?ve advanced the furthest with her.

The website did eventually put up some playing guides and those have been helpful. I just wish someone would have warned me whatever server I start on is the server my characters will stay on. I?ve never played an MMO so I just thought my characters existed in cyberspace and I could take them with me where ever I go. I picked a server that had a light load at the time not knowing once started my characters could never leave that server. If I want to play with friends on a different server I?ll have to start a new character. Live and learn I guess.

23. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    I went by GameStop today and traded in my Christmas gift card for some TOR prepaid time cards and the gentleman behind the counter was a big Star Wars fan. I got so excited talking TOR and The Wars with him that I forgot to ask his name or give him mine but I did give him an LGA card and asked him to check us out. It's frustrating he can't join/post on the boards but I hope he's reading this and comes out to an event. So if you are un-named GameStop clerk feel free to come out and meet us in person some time. You can also email me at jedimika(at)hotmail(dot)com

24. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Well I'm both happy and sad to say TOR has not taken over my life. I'm happy that I've been showing the self control needed and sad I don't have more time to play. I'm a "casual" right now. I still play solo, haven't joined any guilds or joined in any of the social or pvp opportunities the game has, and level about 1 level a week playing when I have a morning free (light load on the servers means my laptop plays better). Let's see...level cap is 50, I level about 1 level a week which means a year of play time for my character times 8 playable character classes means I'll be playing for roughly 8 years. Hmm...it's a bit daunting when I think of it that way.

25. Cungr_Vanck

Cungr_Vanck Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 7, 2008
    So are playing via your wireless connection at home?

I just discovered that I might have a solution to playing this game at my new place....so maybe one day I will be able to join you.