main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [LOTR: Rings of Power] Table Talk (Durin IV, Disa) humor/romance once shot

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by brodiew, Sep 24, 2022.

1. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    A/N: Tag to LOTR: Rings of Power S1, Ep 5.
    Prompt: the table is installed in its new home underground.
    Minor Spoilers for Episode 5

Table Talk

As Durin and his men approached the gates of his home, Khazhad Dum, he mused that Disa ears already burned with word of the ornament he brought her. But it was his tongue that quivered at the thought of sharing the tale by which he obtained it.

Though the elaborate pulley system they employed made mining more efficient, there was still no speedy way by which to deliver the table to his wife. She had not come to meet him, which was fair. She was his queen, and a capable one at that. She would see it, in time, and she would marvel and she would plant a kiss on his doubly, triply-folded beard. He would beam, as much as prince should, and return to the business at hand, the mining of sacred ore.

Dinner time approached quickly, and, as Disa chased the children to prepare, Durin instructed the men to replace the previous table and store the original for safe keeping. He watched as the first table was undressed, and lifted from hits legs. Grunts resounded in the hall as the men lifted and marched away with their heavy load.

Durin was not a vain prince, but he sat in his chair at the head of the now empty space, regarding the six stone legs that would hold the new table.

“Waiting to served, are you?” Disa said, entering the dining room, radiant and resplendent, in formal attire.

“Just making sure everything is perfect for you, my dearest,” Durin replied, in earnest. “I would not want it off center or uneven or showing the slightest smudge of Elven indulgence. That would not do.”

“It certainly would not,” his wife replied. “I worry how you eat when you are with them. Indulgence seems an exaggeration. Are they not only leaf eaters and consumers of the bounty of the earth? How indulgent can they be?”

“You are not far from the truth, but they take their fair share from the sea.”

Approaching him directly, through the stumpy stone legs, she sat on his lap. “Will they be back soon?”

Looking up into Disa’s golden brown eyes, he replied: “I prefer they delay a while. ‘Tis been too long since I’ve seen my wife.”

She leaned down and kissed his cheek. “A husband returning home after a long journey bearing such a gift might be expecting somethin’. Something more than a kiss.”

With a mischievous glint in his eye and a loving grin, he replied: “He might.”

The shuffling of feet could be hear in the outer hall. More grunting, though not in pain.

“Come in!” Disa called. “It is past time to set the table for supper!”

The outer door swung open slowly and nine of the stoutest dwarves marched in with glorious new table between them. Disa rose as they approached and stood next to her husband. She watched in silent awe as the slab was set into place and secured. The color was stunning. The shine was glorious. It was a magnificent gift. Her eyes welled as she turned to Durin.

“Aww, what is all that about?” Durin said, taking her hand. “You’ve been nagging me or years for a new table. It just so happens this fell right into my lap. It only took a few pointed words at ol’ Gil-Galad to bring it home to you.”

“What did you say to him?” Disa asked.

“I might have implied that stone is rare; so rare that we only use it for monuments and tombs.”

Disa laughed out loud and did not stop for a good long time.

“Rare it is, but not as dramatic as all that!” Disa bellowed. “Quite a ruse on the King of Elves, with which we have a fragile alliance.”

“It was a calculated risk, Deary,” Durin replied. “One I would make again to please my queen. And to get one over on the Elves!”

“Perhaps, that was you main motive?” Disa poked.

“Never. You are first in my heart. Forever and always. But why not take the opportunity to kill two trolls with one stone…table.”

“I think it would be good for you to stop talking, now, Durin, Son of Durin,” she said, raising an eyebrow.

“The troll thing was too much wasn’t it?” he said, a tinge of worry in his tone.

“Let’s just say that gift you were expecting in return has been delayed. But, it’s still on its way.”

Last edited: Sep 24, 2022
  2. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    Oh ho, charming glimpse into the dwarven halls! And into dwarven relationships. The table sounds magnificent.^:)^

3. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    @brodiew All I have to say is [face_laugh] and SQUEE! Wonderful bit of teasing mixed with affection. Your gift with humorous dialogue is still oomphy! [:D]

4. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    @brodiew Oh, I'm so happy to see you were inspired to write another fanfic inspired by Rings of Power:D

What a treat this was to read! The loving banter between Durin and Disa has been one of the highlights of the show for me, and you capture that tone of loving banter so perfectly in this piece! [face_love]

In particular, I loved:

I just had a wonderful chuckle at that gruff dwarvish teasing[face_laugh]

He might indeed[face_mischief]

But, then, of course an interruption arrives with excellent comedic timing!

Great job with this piece! It was such a fun and sweet read.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2022
  5. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    I've had this story on my reading list for far too long, because I loved everything about Durin and Disa in TRoP and I was very curious to see your take on how Disa would react to the table – but I'm finally here!

And I must say that, character-wise, you have them down down pat. I could just picture Durin sitting on his chair with only table legs before him and Disa coming in to tease him (I also loved the reference to "formal wear", because I thought that her costumes were among the best in the show). I laughed out loud at their commentary on Elvish indulgence, because in terms of gastronomy my preferences probably lean towards the Dwarves. And you really stuck the landing with Durin's lousy pun about trolls and Disa's reaction to it. It all felt so true to the characters and the relationship between them, and I hope that inspiration will strike again for you to write them when season 2 is released!

6. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Love how you write about the dwarves in their glory years. Durin in his great hall getting a new table made out of stone

7. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    Funny little glimpse at the dawrves golden age. They sure are amongst the free people the ones with the least coverage in Tolkiens works. It`s really just the Hobbit and then Gimli and the odd mention here or there, so nice when fanfic fills the gaps.

8. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I delight in this. I always wanted to see the aftermath of that cunning. Disa is my favorite creation of Aule fans.