main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian Mandalore (the Planet) Speculation

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by godisawesome , Dec 20, 2020.

1. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    I have seen some theories that the rising mythosaur refers to Boba because of his mythosaur symbol and rising crime empire...

But man, I hope it is literal, cause I love giant monsters and the krayt dragon looked great

As for when the Great Purge of Mandalore happened - I am going to guess after the destruction of the Death Star. Specifically during the "mid-rim retreat" - basically after the Death Star's destruction there were a lot of uprisings and the rebel alliance got confident enough to launch a full scale assault on the mid-rim, but the empire's armies are vast and they double-downed on the brutality to make up for the humiliation of the death star destruction and other recent setbacks.

2. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I don’t know about that timeline - the “mid rim retreat” is a Rebels vs Empire campaign, and it’s been implied that Bo’s rebellion wasn’t in coordination with the Rebels thus far, and another Pre-OT Purge like the Jedi’s would act similarly in excusing why we didn’t see any of them active there.

Plus, since Mandalore was already gearing up for a larger rebellion under Bo at the end of Rebels, I think it would make more sense for them to publicly challenge the Empire in an official war, and get crushed in a situation where the Empire can actually claim something like a casus belli at having their representatives on Mandalore attacked “first,” and respond in a terrifying, intimidating, and overwhelming way that still doesn’t quite cross the line the way blowing up Alderaan does. And as I argued earlier, the Rebllion using Mandalore’s Purge as a strategic justification to it supporters for why it remains committed to subterfuge and limited action when possible would work pretty well.

I figure that Bo assumes control of a Mandalorian Resistance that’s a bit too public sometime after the destruction of the Seventh Fleet, there’s an escalation in hostilities that Bo participates in without the Rebellion either out of pride or disagreements on strategy, and at some point, Bo loses the support of some sects of Mandalorians for various reasons from the mundane and secular (Clans and Houses realizing how outgunned and outnumbered they are) to the religious and superstitious (the COTW rejecting her claim on the Darksaber), leaving them incapable of mounting a solid defense as the Empire annihilates their planet and drives the survivors underground across the Galaxy.

Them being an earlier, “reverse-Alderaan” that stood alone, picked a fight, and died alone feels more like what would fit the story right now. It would also explain why both the COTW and Bo Katan seem tepid at best towards the New Republic.

Any cavern deep enough and ancient enough on the ruins fo Mandalore to contain “holy water” could easily conceal some ancient animals as well…

Last edited: Jan 28, 2022
  3. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    Those are good points, but:

1) It wasn't totally unconnected to the wider rebellion. Sabine was part of the Rebel Alliance who overthrew the imperial aligned Mandalorian governor and helped spark the resistance against the Empire on Mandalore, even if she passed off leadership to Bo-Katan. In turn, it was a Mandalorian attack that let the rebels escape an utter defeat at Attolon by knocking out the last interdictor cruiser

2) I was more thinking in terms of timeline rather than political cooperation. The Mandalorian rebellion and Lothal uprising both happen pretty close to Yavin from what I understand. I am willing to bet that immediate reprisals were put off with the plan of making a show of rebeling worlds with the death star...but then that gets taken out, the rebels go on the offensive, uprisings pop everywhere, imperial military units defect, rebel, or desert so on and etc, and the Empire is suddenly very busy.
    Once the tide turns and the rebels are driven back into the out rim just seems like the best time for the Empire to be able to launch a major retaliation strike. (admittedly, it could have happened at any time, from as early as immediately after rebels to as late as operation cinder, but it just seems the most fitting time as far as I can tell)

My thoughts exactly.

Fredrik Vallestrand and TadoFett like this.
  4. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    I didn’t realize that the Liberation of Lothal took place the same year as ANH; I always assumed it was still like a year or so earlier. And I just always feel like the more the Rebellion and Mandalorian Resistance are co-belligerents acting at the same time, the more likely you’d see members of the latter integrate into the former after the Empire starts striking back, so Sabine’s loneliness as still the only confirmed Rebel-aligned Mandalorian would imply they weren’t coordinating that much.

I’d probably still prefer the Mandalorian Purge happening before ANH - it would actually add some extra stress and spice to the Rebel council’s panic over the Death Star in RO - but if it too place after that also has s9me delicious implications going forward.

MercenaryAce likes this.
  5. Ash_Satine

Ash_Satine Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 5, 2017
    Thank you, now I don't feel myself so stupid anymore. I thought days about the timing of the purge. It has to be sometime after the Rebel's episode, but ...

I had no time to watch Mando again, but didn't Din dream or had flashbacks about the Night of the thousand tears? He sits inside some bunker or so, someone (Armorer) comes and gets him out? In these memories he seems to be really young, not older than 8/9. Back than I put the Purge close to Siege and explained it for me that the attack was on Sundari and the rest of the planet isn't usable anyway (in TCW the city has this dome).
    Din is too old now to have been so young during Rebels. And that episode was in the last series, so it was very close to Scariff.

MercenaryAce likes this.
  6. clone commander bossk

clone commander bossk Ostrich Velocity Expert star 5

Nov 5, 2019
    Great purge just after the battle of yavin makes sense to me.

Sproj likes this.
  7. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    You’re recalling Din’s origin as an orphan by a Separatist attack during the Clone Wars, where he was rescued by the Clone Wars-era Death Watch. Now, Gideon apparently got the information on Din from Mandalore’s records around the Purge, so he was already integrated somewhat into Mandalorian society.

MercenaryAce and Ash_Satine like this.
  8. Ash_Satine

Ash_Satine Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 5, 2017
    Thank you! I knew there was something and that is why I remember the scene as him as a very young kid (this would really not have fitted with his age now).

I see, I have to watch everything again now that I have glasses and am able to see a world without knowing how I survived this long without glasses.

9. Sproj

Sproj Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2019
    Agreed. The empire would know what The Mandalorians are capable of and having already helped the rebellion, you can imagine them wanting to make a statement after Yavin.

10. VexedAtVohai

VexedAtVohai Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 4, 2020
    Just remembered Kalevala exists. What's the story there?

MercenaryAce likes this.
  11. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    Not much. We’ve actually seen Concordia, Concord Dawn, Krownest and Mandalore, but not Kalevala. Of the four we’ve seen, Krownest is the only one that isn’t some kind of scoured wasteland… and before the Disney buyout, Kalevala was another desert, and apparently toxic as well.

…It would probably be darkly hilarious if someone made a bad taste joke about Mandalore not being that much worse than the way it and almost every other Mandalorian planet already was.

12. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    All I know is that Kalevala is a traditional epic Finnish folklore and mythology poem, considered a national treasure and common knowledge to pretty much all Finnish people.

13. VexedAtVohai

VexedAtVohai Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 4, 2020
    Another line I'd forgotten about:
    "If Republic forces aid you in your assault it will break treaties that are a hundred years old." - Obi-Wan to Bo-Katan in TCW 7.09 Old Friends Not Forgotten

I get the feeling there are little hints about Mandalore's history being scattered all over the place that don't seem important on their own, like Bo-Katan's "This armour has been in my family for three generations" from The Heiress.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2022
  14. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I'm not sure.
    There are two relatively plausible scenarios: one is that the Mythosaur is symbolic, not literal. Boba Fett rising to become Mandalore is one interpretation then, as the Mythosaur is (out of universe) tightly tied to him.
    The other is literal, and there is at least one line of dialogue in The Mandalorian that would seem to set that up: in the very first episode, as Din is learning to ride the Blurrg, Kuill says "Your ancestors rode the great Mythosaur[...]". That could be a long-game setup for Din actually riding a Mythosaur towards the end of the show.

15. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    I also feel like there’s a chance we’ll see a Mythsoaur skeleton at some point, and my wildest theory could be that there’s a Covert of survivors on Mandalore in a redesigned version of the old City of Bone from the Marvel comics.

16. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Part of me is all "the root word is literally 'Myth'! Of course it's symbolic" while the more rational part of me is all "the root is 'osaur'! Of course it's real and we need to see Din Djarin ride one to the surface of Mandalore while brandishing the Dark Saber and it steps on Moff Gideon as he attempts to flee and it is so tall that Din cuts a Star Destroyer in half while the two gangsta Jawas are seen walking Pelli Motto off screen for a booty call and Grogu holds up the orb of peace from TPM!!!

17. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    Fair points. Without more info, it could go either way I suppose.

That is a good question - since he was a kid in the clone wars and thus older than Sabine, Luke, and maybe even Han, he must have been around during the purge, yet he seems to remember little of it personally.

Course, he didn't know of Mandalorian sects besides the one he was in, and by the Armorer's words they were "sequestered" (isolated and hidden away) on Concordia when this all went down. So probably he didn't witness it beyond a light show in the sky, assuming he wasn't off bounty hunting or something, and more remembers having to move from hiding spot to hiding spot.

But in any case, I would love to get more of Din's personal history at some point In particular how he ended up with Razer's mercs and why he left them on bad terms.

A good summary.

It is worth noting that the world is apparently the primary shippyard of the Mandalore system and used to produce warships for the Mandalorians, though under Satine's rule it switched to luxury cruisers and bulk freighters.

I could potentially see it being a key part of Bo-Katan's plans to get the shipyards back and producing warships for the Mando cause once again...and possibly run into the problem of the planet being solidly pro-Satine and resentful of Bo-Katan.

Or it could have just be blasted to bits by the empire as well. Since the coverts had to hide after the purge, they seem pretty determined to hunt Mandos down forever and it is hard to see them just passing over a whole planet...then again, shipyards are really valuable, so they might have capture it for their own use.

Also apparently it had a museum of Mandalorian history that Crimson Dawn stole some artifacts from.

Oh man, the city of bone would be an amazing deep cut, and really fun to see a modern redesign of that.

Same here. There is a lot of sense in the mythosaur being symbolic and Boba's empire playing a large role in Mandalore's future, but man it would be such a visual treat to see an actual mythosaur

VexedAtVohai and godisawesome like this.
  18. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    I think a corollary to that is that Kalevala being inhabited, and Satine still having supporters anywhere in the show, will require Mandalorian civilians to reappear in significant numbers... and the interesting thing here is that Filoni has clearly reinforced their existence in the cartoons he made in the Rebels area, so they haven't been entirely ignored thus far; we see civilians caught in the crossfire of the Siege of Mandalore from the resurrected TCW, and Sabine's father is a peaceful artist (voiced by Shang Tsung, mind you, but still a peaceful artist.)

Now... I actually kind of hope that's the case.

The dramatic implications for Din, Bo, and The Armorer alone are fascinating; throw in Sabine or Fenn Rau, and the implications the surviving civilians would have on them is even more fascinating. Neither the Armorer nor Bo are likely to value civilian input - the Armorer would declare them to not be Mandalorians, while Bo revolted against a civilian government and clearly glorifies the militarized past of her people just as much as the Armorer. Sabine and Fenn are liable to both actually consider the civilians their people, even if they see them as less useful to military situations.

And Din probably just doesn't know they exist, has his own issues with his cultural identity right now, but also has respect for civilians.

Imagine if Kalevala is the central location for Mandalorian civilians who either capitulated to the Empire, or evacuated into hidden refugee camps during the Empire's reign before returning; they'd be the logistical apparatus any Lord Mandalore would need for any major action, yet aren't favored by any of the main violent factions.

VexedAtVohai and MercenaryAce like this.
  19. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    There’s a planet called Kalevala? Man, Star Wars really is on the nose with its real world references sometimes!

TCF-1138 likes this.
  20. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Kalevala, Mortis, Tatooine, Endor, Corvus - there are a lot of on the nose planet names. Kalevala is probably one of the more obscure ones for many in the audience. :p

Bor Mullet likes this.
  21. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    You mean to tell me that Finnish mythological texts are not known to general audiences!?

TCF-1138 likes this.
  22. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    No, and Elias Lönnrot is absolutely a household name everywhere!

Bor Mullet likes this.
  23. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I once had a cat named Sampo, so I guess I’m not representative of the average movie goer…

TCF-1138 likes this.
  24. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    So is Mando going to roll around in a pile of soot or something to purify himself? I mean, it's still there just no water.

25. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    Eh, possibly!

Of course, I think it’s the mines specifically that were destroyed, not necessarily every molecule of H20. The Empire nuked the planet, and possibly left behind killer robots to keep killing anything that landed. In theory, there would still likely be caverns somewhere under the surface, which could very well collect moisture. It would just be a matter of getting there.

And that’s the mundane option; the crazy space magic option is a Force cave protected by something.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.