main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Mark Hamill 'fundamentally disagreed' with Luke's story for TLJ

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by woj101, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Keycube

Keycube Jedi Master star 2

Jan 19, 2009
    Good post. Although I really enjoyed TFA, I admit much of the euphoria was more of a "Yay, Star Wars is back!", as opposed to a glowing admiration of substance. When it was announced that there would be an Episode VII, I hoped against hope for not so much a reboot, but at least enough "distance" between itself and ROTJ so that we could move on from the original characters. I confess some of this stems from finding ROTJ to be a phoned-in effort on many fronts that left a bad taste in my mouth, and thus was more than ready to cleanse my palate.

That said, TFA was fun, and the grounds by which I thought a shake-up was necessary, were invalidated (Harrison Ford was awesome, Carrie Fisher was serviceable with what she had to work with). But is it enduring? Eh...I think I've watched it at home once, and even then it was hard to stay focused. If not for Ben/Kylo and the mystery that could see his arc go in so many profound directions, TFA is something I would pull off the shelf like I would, say, "Alien vs. Predator"; popcorn fun that I don't have to be really "into" to enjoy.

Seems like it's been ages since TFA, and R1 sadly didn't fill the void like I'd hoped, so here's hoping for big things from TLJ!

2. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    I think Mark Hamill is great, love how outspoken he can be. I think I'll just wait and see what fun they have in store for the character.

Darth Dnej and SpecForce Trooper like this.
  3. Hyrum_Solo

Hyrum_Solo Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 1, 2015
    If Mark disagreed fundamentally with how the character Luke was in the script, then Mark thought there was something wrong at Luke's foundations and most basic level. This could prove disastrous. I don't know.
    As much as I want to enjoy the second third of TFA, even from the teaser trailer there appears to be something fundamentally different about Luke Skywalker.

SmallTatooineSun likes this.
  4. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
  5. SunnyNelson

SunnyNelson Jedi Master star 1

Dec 23, 2013
    [​IMG]

Darth Dnej likes this.
  6. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
  7. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Damage control.. :p

Jesta' likes this.
  8. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Sometimes that is required when people are doing damage with misinterpreted versions of what has been said.

9. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000

Except he didn't really clarify much. Just said he didn't do a good job of saying it, but didn't really retract anything that he had already said.

Dak Oolron and B99 like this.
  10. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    I'm not trying to make facts disrupt anyone's blatant agenda. By all means, let people continue to misinterpret the man's words for best dramatic impact. It keeps discussions interesting.

11. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Did you not see this?

This place has a reputation to uphold.

Martoto77 likes this.
  12. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    "..... it was a fifty fifty shot on whether you'd be going left or right.

You see we're both going left.

You could have just as easily been going left, too. And if that was the case... It would have been a while before you started getting scared.

But since you're going the other way, I'm afraid you're gonna have to start getting scared... immediately! "

13. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    You know, at first I did have some concern when I heard that Mark supposedly had some sort of issue with Johnson's choices for his character. But over time, I actually learned to see it in a different way: His feelings on it kind of makes me excited now actually, because that shows me that there's obviously something new and unexpected coming on the horizon for tha saga – and actually after seeing TFA, that's really what I had hoped for at this point.

CowMoo and Lulu Mars like this.
  14. CowMoo

CowMoo Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2001
    Mark Hamill is probably just venting about the costume changes. Probably at one point, some kind of Force magic is going to have him as green as Yoda, and Mark didn't like it.

15. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    Let's get this out of the way... Luke is my favorite character and I love Mark Hamill. But let's be clear, Mark has some fairly, ummmm.... BASIC ideas when it comes to storytelling. And when pressed, he'll freely admit it. Remember he thought it would be great if it was HIS character to whom the lightsaber flew in TFA. I admit before the film came out, I would have been delighted with that. But ya know what? What we got was WAY more emotional, IMO. It was just better story telling. Mark may want a glorious return for Luke in TLJ, and I think Rian is probably all like, "Not yet. Luke was gone for years for a reason. We have to explore that reason."

Here's what Hamill said in Vanity Fair:

and on the red carpet at the Tony awards:

Lulu Mars, TCF-1138 and Martoto77 like this.
  16. QuiWanKenJin

QuiWanKenJin Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2005
    Okay, boys and girls keep your shirts on and lets look at the facts. First, Rian Johnson's "good guys" in his movies are usually not really that good, as he seems to like moral ambiguity. So, most likely this will not be comparable to any Luke Skywalker we have been accustomed to, in the past. Which might be reason alone to freak out, but wait there's more. First, worse case scenario, remember Terminator Genisys? Oh wait, you mean the one I am trying to forget? Yes, that one. Remember how John Connors was totally taken out of character, so that he never fulfilled his destiny? Luke maybe headed down a similar road. Freak Out! Now, I will bring you back from the brink, Luke will have a change of heart for some reason and by the end of Episode 8, he will be back his old Return of the Jedi self, at least mentally. [face_nail_biting]

Jesta' likes this.
  17. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    Except the one that gleefully destroyed ALL of Jabba The Hutt's entourage in order to rescue his one friend.

18. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    Uh oh. That's not a good sign. From the trailer, it's possible that Luke has become darker of a character following his failure with Ben Solo. Mark Hamill may also be upset about how and when Luke is slated to die, whatever that situation may be.

I hope it's because there's a dark fate in store for Luke, instead of writing:dialogue reasons.

19. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014

I suspect it's more complicated than that. Hamill is a great guys, but his crative ideas tend to be.... ummm... not that great, as he himself observed in the quotes above. I suspect than the 30+ years since Jedi, Luke came to learn things that changed his perspective. He may be "dark" in that he is no longer the naive, cockeyed optimist he was in his 20's, but LFL understands the central role Luke plays, amd they will be conscious of that as they move forward.

TCF-1138 and SunnyNelson like this.
  20. SunnyNelson

SunnyNelson Jedi Master star 1

Dec 23, 2013
    What Strongbow said. It would be kind of silly if Luke hadn't changed much in three decades.

Strongbow likes this.
  21. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    I'd have loved it if Luke was on the quirky side. Not quite like crazy chuckling Yoda, but you know, a little mischievous, with a twinkle in the eye. As it is, I don't get the impression that he'll be anything like that, but who knows? Maybe, once he's accepted Rey as his apprentice and they get to work, he'll lighten up a bit.

Of course, quirky old man Luke would've worked best in the company of grumpy old man Han...

22. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Bob Iger said at D23 today that Mark Hamill gave his "best performance as Luke Skywalker to date" in TLJ.

Strongbow and Lulu Mars like this.
  23. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    I expect no less :)

TCF-1138 likes this.
  24. QuiWanKenJin

QuiWanKenJin Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2005
    I believe Rian Johnson has some thing cooked up for us, that will be unabashedly, shocking, dark, heart wrenching and tragic with Luke, and I will forgive him for that as long as Luke doesn't end that way. If he does, then I am planning on ignoring the Sequel trilogy as a part of my "canon." [face_shame_on_you]

25. ucdex

ucdex Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    We'll find out soon enough, but in the linked video clip Mark used the disagreement to set-up the fact he was wrong about 7.
    This seems like a typical self-deprecating talk where a person talks about how they feel and contrast it with reality citing being wrong previously and therefore their feelings may not be an issue.

SunnyNelson and TCF-1138 like this.