main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Comics Marvel Star Wars: General News & Trades Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Mar 7, 2015.

1. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    I gotta agree about Aphra, Han, Luke, and Leia. It's time for something fresh.

2. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    I'm fine with putting Aphra on hiatus, no problems there, but Luke, Han, and Leia stories will always be the beating heart of Star Wars. The Big Three should always be out there having big, bold comic adventures. And more so knowing that there's currently plenty of space available in the post-ANH timeline for it.

3. clonegeek

clonegeek Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 28, 2022
    The whole ANH to Empire timeperiod for the Big Three is one of those things that writers will always want to tell adventures in

The Positive Fan and Golbolco like this.
  4. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Well the good news is I do think once the current Vader run is done they are going to not do another Vader run. I guess you can set something in the like 17 year gap between Vader 2018 and Vader 2015 but again I want something new.

by far my favorite series in canon are Aphra 2016, Bounty hunters and Poe Dameron that’s because they explore new or under utilized characters. Have more of that. I’ll probably like the high republic ongoing series for the same reason when I get around to reading them.

I am just tired of the OT3. I was tired of them after reading just the original run. I have only gotten ten issues deep in the 2020 run. And Lando can only add so much freshness.

IMO if you do something with the OT3 again you need to add a lot more original side characters. Because my god have they really driven them into the ground.

I am not saying don’t write another series with Luke, Han and Leia ever again I am just saying give it a break for a few years.

marvel almost certainly won’t. As casuals aren’t buying the high republic

also by casuals here I know there is no such thing, but I am using it in the context of a comic fan who may get Star Wars but won’t get Aphra because it isn’t the movie characters.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  5. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Not sure that tracks that no one's buying the book, when Aphra's racked 80+ issues

6. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I used Aphra as a bad example. But While I don’t know the numbers I wouldn’t be shocked if Star Wars or Darth Vader or both outperform Aphra. Not that Aphra sells bad. That was more my point. That overall sales of an OT3 series would sell better than Aphra and that’s why marvel will milk them forever despite them having over 150 issues between them since 2015. (Yes I am including the Han Solo mini series as well as Leia in these numbers)

if Aphra didn’t sell well enough they would have cancelled it. All I was saying is Star Wars probably does better than Aphra because more people know Luke, Leia, Han, Lando etc

Jedi Ben likes this.
  7. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Relatively, probably, but SW comics are also such a niche product I suspect Marvel chance it. And they certainly know fan tendencies, like collecting the entire range.

In the case of Aphra, sales likely took it below target so they pulled the plug. I suspect those 15 remaining issues will not Omnibused too.

8. clonegeek

Oct 28, 2022
    Has any Star Wars book in the new Marvel era actually been cancalled due to low sales? I wonder if there was contractual reasons that they must have so many Star Wars books and thats why they kept Aphra going for so long.

2024 is seeing an influx of prequel era books to tie in with the 25 anniversy of TPM. It may be that in order to do the prequel books, they had to cut the lower selling ongoings hence Bounty Hunters and Aphra ending.

9. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    There's no way they tell us what it is, but Marvel will have sales target for books and that'll determine what is low or high.

Aphra and Bounty Hunters were ongoings, not mini series.

I'm sceptical Marvel care about limiting the number of books, they're not DHC, they can put out more material easily. And the line has certainly expanded over the last few years.

10. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    But why would that matter it’s not like Disney doesn’t own both companies.

11. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Yeah, but where conglomerates like Disney, Microsoft and Sony are concerned, they don't seem to operate in that kind of coordinated way.

At the same time the sequels were going awry, the MCU was doing well, so the thinking was: Why can't Marvel Studios help out LFL? Just doesn't look to work that way - each company does their own activity to justify their existence.

Which is bonkers to me but that's corporate America.

12. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    I want an Obiwan and young Anakin ongoing series, we could use more stories in the 10 year gap between TPM and AoTC.

13. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I really thought they'd do a follow-up to the Anakin & ObiWan mini done a few years back but nope.

14. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Hell I would take a Finn/Rey/Rose/Poe ongoing or Anakin and Obi Wan or anything really. Just give me something we haven’t gotten in canon yet for an ongoing series.

15. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    Absolutely, and there will always be an audience for those adventures. Those characters, in that era, are timeless.
    This may be because nobody outside of some hardcore fans ever saw the sequels as going awry. The ST was 4.3 billion dollars in the bank for Disney, another 1.3 billion or so if you count Rogue One and Solo, and casuals and critics mostly loved them. Disney never saw a need to apply the MCU formula to Star Wars, because by any measure that matters to them the ST was a massive success without it.

16. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    No, you're not getting a sequel discussion. Head on over to the eternally burning fire in the distance, there, in the Sequels forum, you will find what you seek.

The main point is conglomerate sub-companies operate independently. The only real crossover effect in existence is Marvel applying their event methods to the SW line so as to hoover up more cash.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  17. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    Oh, I'm not trying to start that discussion by any means - just offering some speculation as to why Disney didn't jump all over applying the successful MCU formula to the also-successful Star Wars sequels. Less to do with lack of synergy between sub-companies, more to do with the fact that it wasn't necessary.

18. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I was thinking primarily in creative terms in that prior post as, financially, there's nothing to talk about.

(Which only makes that whole discussion weirder - TLJ made a billion, why should anyone care how much I do or don't like it? Of course, to really make heads explode throw in liking Knives Out while disliking TLJ. [face_devil])

Anywsy, getting back on track, if we were talking smaller organisations, perhaps but Marvel Studios and LFL aren't that. It's more that Disney is that massive. I think the expectation is, no matter what, the company lead is expected to tend to their company, not get someone else in from elsewhere. That only looks odd on a way zoomed out view that ignores their sheer size.

19. lordpixie

lordpixie Jedi Master star 2

Aug 30, 2015
    I would like a young Hondo Ohnaka comic. Make it a comic about him teaming up or crossing paths/double crossing with some young prequel characters like Jango/Cad/Jaxxon many others ?!. So abit like Aphra but set in the prequel timeline. It would also be great to get a war comic 'band of brothers' type comic with the stories of the ground troops on both sides of the galactic war and the horrors that come with war. but unsure if that would be to much in this day and age.

20. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Short of SW MAX line, I suspect it probably is

21. clonegeek

Oct 28, 2022
    I really wouldn't call the ST a massive success though considering all the action figures from TFA and TLJ still rotting on store shelves at Ollies.

It did long term damage

22. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    As has been said, this isn't really the thread for that discussion. Move along.

23. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    If nothing else I hope Pak’s Vader run is the last they do with the character for a while. If they need to replace that title with something else then a long form series about Maul either pre-TPM or post-TCW could fill a similar role.

24. iPodwithnomusic

iPodwithnomusic Jedi Master star 3

Nov 23, 2012
    It's that time of year again to vote for our most wanted Marvel omnibus. Omar is running the survey now, so the format has changed slightly. It's now a google form where we select from a list of options. Marvel does look at the results, so be sure to vote for any Star Wars omnibus you're interested in! Here's the link. Your #1 vote is worth the most, while the #10 vote is worth the least. I'll be putting Star Wars: Bounty Hunters as my #1.

A lot of people on other boards have had complaints about using the google form, since it's hard to scroll horizontally through the columns. Here's a trick that may work for you to make the google form fill the whole screen:
    If you're using chrome on a desktop or laptop computer, while you're on the form page you can press F12 to open the developer tools. Click the "Elements" tab along the top, Click the little arrow to expand the section labeled <div class="UC2NEf">. Click on <div class="teQAzf">. Now in the top right corner uncheck the following:
    • max-width: 90vw;
    • width: 640px;
    Now you can press F12 to close the developer tools again, and the form should be filling the whole page without any need for horizonal scrolling across the columns.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 28, 2024
    QuinlanSolo likes this.
  25. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    I hope they do a slate of comic series set in-between the Battles of Endor and Jakku. It is an important year and I would love to see it fleshed out more. Though given how long they have been sticking to the current story to avoid ROTJ, I get the feeling that isn't likely, and either the comics will go back into the ot or jump around to a different era all together.