main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Marvel's Daredevil (Born Again, Again, Being Filmed Again)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Jan 7, 2014.

1. ZanderSolo

ZanderSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2007
    Guessing we wont be getting the Heroes for Hire or Daughters of the Dragon some of us were hoping for at this point.

Kind of seems like a waste to totally abandon these Netflix/Marvel characters though. I think DD has been my favorite piece of Marvel since the MCU started.

A lot of the movies are enjoyable but man DD was just so good in intensity and fight choreography

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
    Darth_Furio , Master_Lok and Rew like this.
  2. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    My guess has been for awhile that Heroes of Hire or Daughters of the Dragon could end up on one of Disney's networks because these shows were produced by Marvel Television/ABC Studio. The same production company that created Agents of SHIELD, Agent Carter, Cloak & Dagger and The Runaways. All these shows are created in-house, so again the showrunner and perhaps the cast can be retained for rebranded shows.

The name of the game with networks and particularly streaming services is exclusive content.

3. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    If you're Disney one problem with those particular potential shows is they don't know what the viewership was for the two Netflix series (Luke Cage and Iron Fist) they would be spun out of. Netflix doesn't even share that information with it's content producers. So they might not be willing to do spin-offs from a couple of series when they don't know if originals were popular enough to justify it.

4. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    If there’s ever a Moon Knight anything, I hope the DD fight choreographers are involved. The two DD fights I saw were amazing and felt very real. The best choreography in the MCU (and I still love the highway / street fight from Winter Soldier).

I would love it if we get to see Marc being such so utterly vicious and realistic too (for Moon Knight anyway).

Back to DD, even more than the fights, I really believed in this particular cast as the characters they were playing (yes, I know I haven’t seen much), but still. I hope the DD crew get another shot at some point.

5. Bilbo Fett

Apr 19, 2017
    Marvel's statement on the cancellation stated that the released seasons of DD would remain on Netflix for years to come. If I were to read between the lines there I would surmise that this iteration of DD, namely the cast and storylines, belong to Netflix since they financed their production. I can't really foresee a situation where Disney resumes a series where, to get the first few seasons, you have to subscribe to a competitor's streaming service. I think if these series end up existing at all at Disney it will be as completely "new" properties with new actors in all of the roles. Which is a shame since I have a hard time envisioning better actors in their respective roles than Krysten Ritter, Mike Colter, and especially Charlie Cox.

6. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    ^ No love for Finn Jones. :p[face_laugh]
    Which of course is understandable. But let's not forget Vincent D'Onofrio, Jon Bernthal and Wilson Bethel who gave outstanding performances playing Kingpin, Punisher and Bulleyes respectively.

Yeah, I don't see Disney picking up these characters right where they left off from their perspective shows. However, I do see potential for these characters to appear in shows like Agents of SHIELD, Cloak and Dagger or The Runaways to reintroduce them and spin them out again into a new or rebrand series of those characters. I could see Daredevil being rebranded as The Man Without Fear and/or Jessica Jones rebranded as Alias Detective Agency. And of course, just creating a Heroes for Hire series.

Master_Lok likes this.
  7. Bilbo Fett

Apr 19, 2017
    It was by no means a comprehensive listing of the actors who have given great performances in the various Netflix series. Just those in the title role for each (with the obvious omission for obvious reasons).

And I don't for one minute pretend that Disney will resume a Punisher series once it's finished on Netflix, with or without Bernthal.

8. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I think you can pretend just a wee little bit. I mean, once the Fox/Disney deal closes, Disney will have all kinds of R-Rated tent pole franchises in its stable like Alien, Predator, Deadpool, etc. Disney is bound to release those IP on some type of streaming service, and where they land would probably be a good place for a Punisher franchise to land as well.

I won't pretend that Disney won't somehow find away to make some money of the R-Rated IP they got from the Fox deal, after spending like $72 billion IIRC.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  9. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    I think a lot of these shows may end up on Hulu. Disney now owns a controlling interest there and Hulu allows them to cater to a more mature audience while having a family friendly option with Disney+.

True the seasons may stay with Netflix, but it’s hardly the first time a series has gone from one network to another. Of all of them, Daredevil likely has the best chance of continuing with the current cast. I don’t see Marvel giving up on Daredevil quite that easily- or rather I don’t see Disney giving up.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  10. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Moon Knight is a character that always comes up in conversations when discussing which Marvel character should get a TV series. Which I'm totally on board with, as like Daredevil series, it doesn't require a huge budget for special effects and allows for some great fight choreography. I would love to see the standard hallway fight scene starring Moon Knight.

I read and posted an article awhile back that there's a couple of things that will probably need to happen for Disney to dump their Fox content on Hulu, which mostly has to do with Comcast being part owner of Hulu. Comcast caused a bidding war for Fox, making Disney to spend about an additional $30 billion (IIRC) to acquire Fox. Disney might want to buy out Comcast's stakes in Hulu before dropping any new content on Hulu. It's hard to imagine that Disney would want to share any of the benefits of the Fox deal with Comcast after the bidding war.

Master_Lok likes this.
  11. Bilbo Fett

Apr 19, 2017
    I'm sure at some point they will get around to utilizing some of the IP's that don't fit neatly into their current branding, particularly those with tentpole theatrical potential.

I don't foresee Bernthal's Punisher as one of those.

12. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Well, you might be right with Bernthal. However, we still have a season two of The Punisher to look forward to on Netflix. Now, if season 2 Punisher is anything like his appearance in season 2 of Daredevil, it may be difficult to cut Bernthal from the role or just to shelf the character. It's unlikely though as most the Marvel Netflix series hasn't been very good.

Master_Lok likes this.
  13. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    I’d love a hard R Moon Knight so we could see that standard hall way fight.

Marc definitely doesn’t fit into the Disney branding (and I bet someone would complain if they keep Rabbi’s son becomes the ultra violent, servant-slave vigilante of an Egyptian God angle; which is so great and ridiculously ironic), but I digress.

14. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    It's a shame that Netflix is killing these shows off- clearly Marvel wanted to keep going. It seems Netflix wants to drop the shows it doesn't fully own and/or decided it didn't want to compete against Disney for Marvel bragging rights (ala Universal Studios Orlando). Seems like a strange decision when they could have used that to their advantage in the wake of the Disney+ launch, but not 100% surprising. The timing is more surprising, though- if they were to pull the plug, I would have assumed they'd have wanted one more season of Daredevil to give them Marvel content for all of 2019.

Hopefully Marvel can bring at least some of these characters over to Hulu and do, say, Daughters of the Dragon or Heroes for Hire. And, maybe, after a couple years cool down, they'll be able to bring Daredevil over too and continue a show directly.

15. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Has The Punisher begun filming or is it currently filming? If so, I wonder if it's now inevitable cancellation will make them change the intended ending.

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Punisher S2 finished filming in August so it's probably too late to make any changes that aren't done in the editing bay, unless they can piggy back something into JJ S3 which is probably close to done if not already done.

17. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I think timing is due to money being owed to Disney. It seems like Netflix didn't want to give Disney any more money for future productions. I read this article this morning noting that Season 4 of Daredevil was planned out and ready to go into production but Netflix made the cancellation announcement.

'Daredevil' Executive Producer Surprised by Cancellation, Entire Season 4 Already Planned Out
    I personally love the Daredevil cast and hope they'll be able to carry over onto a Disney network or better yet, a featured MCU film. It would be great if there was just a Disney+ Daredevil film where Matt is back in his red suit fighting Bullseye in his newly modified enhanced body. I'd actually prefer a film format than a long stretched out TV season.

Season 2 of The Punisher wrapped in August. So, the ending will most likely be unaltered as Netflix won't flip the bill for any reshoots.

18. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I'm really enjoying this series so far , Onofrio is brilliant as the Kingpin , and I didn't realise this guy is Bullseye , I'll check back in once I', done .

19. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Looks like Bullseye isn’t happy with some of your letters and took them out, gez

20. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    Well, nothing set in stone but: https://theplaylist.net/marvel-daredevil-continues-20181130/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Quite possibly.

If there's any truth to it, this could be the first step in that process:

21. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Pure speculation there that it would be with new actors. And I hope it isn't, as it would have to be compared and there is almost no chance the new cast of Daredevil would live up to the current cast.

Rew and soitscometothis like this.
  22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Ditto for Luke Cage and Jessica. Danny is the only one people probably wouldn't mind being recast but if you're going to keep 3 outta 4...

Rew and Diggy like this.
  23. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    I wouldn't mind them doing an animated Daredevil series. Give it a noir-tinge, kind of like the 90s Batman animated series, but with stylistic red and black shading. If Disney really wanted to do their own Daredevil series, i'd be very interested in seeing that rather than live action since Cox, Hensen, Woll and D'Onofrio will always be the definite live-action versions of their characters.

24. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Daredevil was canceled despite being Netflix's fourth biggest show: Report

25. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Since September, I've been under the assumption that Marvel could cancel their shows with Netflix.

In the main MCU thread, back in October, I posted this: https://boards.theforce.net/threads...atic-universe.30900955/page-444#post-55440462

There's been a reputable reporter's source that Marvel cancelled the Netflix show, but a second reliable source has yet to confirm.

soitscometothis likes this.