main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian Mayfeld (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Jedi Knight Fett, Dec 11, 2020.

1. JarJar4Eva

JarJar4Eva Jedi Master

Nov 1, 2005
    It’s like Coruscant, but there’s a Dunkin on every level.

2. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    The whole planet is one big Dunkin

Sarge and chrcharcor2 like this.
  3. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    And Sam Adams is a buck a beer.

4. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Pak the ca in havad yad

5. Lord-Skywalker

Lord-Skywalker Hangman Host/18X Wacky Wed Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner VIP - Game Host

Jul 8, 2002
  6. Cyber Spark

Cyber Spark Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 27, 2020
    The Bwaast'n system. See, cause it sounds like a guy with a Boston accent saying "Boston."

LedReader and Jedi Knight Fett like this.
  7. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
  8. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
  9. Saturn830

Saturn830 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 8, 2019
    I would assume it was a planet settled by people from the Core who eventually got upset about taxes and dumped a bunch of caf into hyperspace. Or something.

Sarge, Bor Mullet and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  10. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Agree? Disagree? Discuss!

[​IMG]

11. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Trick question: Finn got a better story in just TFA than Mayfeld did in his two appearances (and more than any other ST character across all three films)... but then Rian Johnson and LFL had a moment of panic at someone not named Adam Driver being a great male lead, and they retconned and denigrated him hard for all of TLJ to make his story worse, and then refused to let Abrams do any real repair work in TROS.

BRE and 2Cleva like this.
  12. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    This isn't the ST forum, but I'll quickly chip in. I don't think they were afraid Boyega/Finn would outshine Driver/Ren, I think they were afraid that Finn would outshine Rey.

And yeah, the story potential of Boyega's character being former stormtrooper who broke his "programming" (probably cause he was Force sensitive) was completely underused in the ST.

13. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    Eh, they wound up hamstringing Rey for the sake of Kylo as well (TLJ is basically uninterested in either Rey or Finn as characters), and it's not a coincidence that Rey was at her most popular in the film where he companion was Finn than the films where her companion was Kylo. Rey clearly wasn't be protected as much as Kylo was, and Kylo was the one slotting into Finn's place in the narrative alongside her. I mean, LFL eventually just flat out submitted Driver as their preferred nominee for any Best Actor Awards instead of Boyega, even though Boyega always had more screentime than Driver. Plus, y'know, they brought Palpatine back so Kylo wouldn't be the main villain and could get redeemed... which didn't actually have any benefit for Rey.

But with Finn vs Mayfeld, I really do think an appraisal of TFA vs TLJ will show where Finn had things subtracted form him, which is the opposite of the addition they gave Mayfeld in his second appearance. If you watch TFA, Finn clearly emerges as someone who has three phases to his journey: nameless henchman to myopic deserter to invested Resistance fighter. Then TLJ comes in and tries to scratch out that entire third phase so it can do a far less interesting version for itself, as well as ignore the dramatic potential of the character and make him strictly humorous, and try as hard as possible to remove any connection to Rey (they don't even share dialogue in TLJ).

Mayfeld gets the opposite treatment. He's initially just one among several colorful cutthroats, then the next episode he's in decides to make him a reluctant ally and man of (some) standards. They just took a fun bit of stunt casting and got ambitious with it.

And I think the biggest comparison/contrast in terms of ambition and dramatic writing for the two goes like this:

- If we're talking just TFA for Finn, then the two are very similar, with the differences being Finn was a rookie stormtrooper and Mayfeld a veteran ISB sharpshooter, and Finn getting more screentime and focus on his dramatic aspects than Mayfeld (at first) because of his place as the male lead. In practical terms, this means that Finn and Mayfeld's "epiphanies" occur at different times, so Mayfeld has to try justifying his previous actions to himself while Finn has to become a person, essentially, and that we get to see Finn's epiphany moment instead of just referencing it the way Mayfeld did, and that in TFA, Finn's basically on a film-long transformation as well as an examnination of his depth, while Mayfeld mostly just gets his depth explored in one scene.

-But if we expand it to TLJ and TROS for Finn, the contrasts become clear. Mayfeld has his scant background pumped for potential dramatic issues, which are then realized in a five minute sit-down with a Game of Thrones character, while also having his previous interactions with Mando respected and built upon and being promoted to a star of his episode. Meanwhile, Finn gets "punished" for having interactions with the main character that were too good (the story even tries to contort itself and ignore his progression to say he's wrong to care about Rey), and the film merrily ignores the dramatic potential of him revisiting the First Order and manages to waste it's Game of Thrones actor in a cheesy and idiotic Saturday Morning Cartoon plot... and then both TLJ and TROs either choose to or are forced to demote him to ancillary character.

Blueandwhite likes this.
  14. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Rick Famuyiwa is a million times the filmmaker that milquetoast JJ is, and better executes interesting takes on the material than RJ. So yeah.

2Cleva likes this.
  15. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Disagree, because Mayfeld wasn't an ex-stormtrooper :p

Mod Edit: Nope. No baiting. No, Rian Johnson and Lucasfilm did not have a "moment of panic" on that matter. They didn't retcon or denigrate Finn either. Nor did they "refuse" to "repair" anything in TROS. They had an idea about Finn that you didn't like, that's it. Finn had his own arc, character-development towards being an actual resistance-hero who fought for the cause and not because it coincided with his desire to protect Rey, and he got to beat his actual nemesis from TFA: Phasma. That is perfectly suitable in itself. Though maybe it could have been done a bit better, if things were tweaked a bit, or the cut scene with Phasma had stayed in the movie.

That Rey and Ben would be the main protagonist and antagonist was already established in TFA, just like splitting Rey and Finn was.

Abrams then had a slightly different take on him, which isn't entirely surprising, considering he and Rian Johnson aren't the exact same person. Though he did pick up on the idea that Johnson came up with and then didn't end up using (Finn putting doubt into the minds of some stormtroopers when talking about what Phasma did on Starkiller Base). Not that he went fully ahead with it either. Maybe because there already was a ton of things he tried to tell and everything had to fit into a sutiable screentime, who knows.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2021
  16. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014
    Let's move on from this conversation. This is a thread about Mayfeld. Not getting upset over how the ST was done.

17. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    Finn and Mayfeld have more or less the same story and neither character really raises to a level above the other. Both desert. Finn becomes a rebel, Mayfeld becomes a mercenary. Both do good in the end. The difference is that Finn's character was tee'd up to be something more substantial in the end game, but nothing really came of it. He was the first hero on screen. He was the first to take Anakin's lightsaber. He landed a blow with the lightsaber on Kylo. And after that he becomes a side character.

edit: whoops. Simultaneous post to the above warning. Well i'll leave it at that.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2021
    Sarge likes this.
  18. dick rodgers

dick rodgers Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2016
    One of the best developed characters in the show thus far. Burr can act.

DarthKreVass likes this.
  19. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Indeed he can. Can’t wait to see more of him

20. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Yo he's gotta be on a spin-off show all to himself or just keep Bill Burr to once maybe twice a season appearances on Mando. I loved his 2nd episode but he was a legit bad dude in S1 so I dunno how far you can take the whole redemption thing, even though S2 was more Bill Burr-iness to Mayfield than even S1.

21. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Would love to see more of him

22. Reepicheep775

Reepicheep775 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 27, 2019
    I love Mayfeld and I hope we see more of him. Bill Burr isn't a Star Wars guy and, like with Harrison Ford, I think that actually works for the character's advantage because of how disillusioned and cynical Mayfeld is. I'm glad that he was more sympathetic in Season 2 while still existing in a grey area morally. He's one of those characters that you can't predict.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  23. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    If Mayfield was a character out of a spaghetti western who would he be?

[​IMG]
    Rod Steiger or James Coburn from A Fistful of Dynamite (Duck You Sucka)???

24. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    He's definitely got some Tuco vibes from The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly.

He’s just lucky that Din’s more like a Jimmy Stewart anti-hero from an Anthony Mann western (like Winchester ‘73 or The Man From Laramie) than a Blondie or John Wayne-played character. The Stewart-played anti-hero has enough patience and pragmatism to leave a less-dangerous opponent alive long enough to become a loveable rogue, while Blondie would just toy with him and a Wayne-tyoe character would have killed him.

Jedi Knight Fett and Sarge like this.
  25. Lobey-One Kenobi

Lobey-One Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Nov 30, 2009
    Really hoping we see more of Mayfeld, once a season would be pretty cool providing there was a reason and the character is still compelling enough. I think introducing him as a father following a time-jump, which I predict there will be a 1-2 year jump when Season 3 starts.

After re-watching all of the show recently, I felt like that he was portrayed fairly differently in his two stories. S1 made use of Burr's comedy, to the point where it actually felt like 'Bill Burr in Star Wars' rather than a character (not that that was bad). S2 made use of Burr's acting, which is surprisingly good. I feel like watching his last appearance, you pretty much forget he's anything other than Migs Mayfeld. The comedy was much more subtle, which worked more, and Mayfeld's outspokenness, combined with his philosophy made him a really important character in The Mandalorian; he gives Din the final push he needs to take off the mask and challenge his OWN philosophy.

Hoping we see more of him in Season 3 and beyond. I feel he's got another appearance or two yet before the character's in danger of getting stale.

Jedi Knight Fett and BigAl6ft6 like this.