main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Media bias against Star Wars: The Definitive Discussion

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Duckman, Mar 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthSil

DarthSil Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 19, 2003
    Sorry, but I believe in going with the old standard: Box office figures. Rotten Tomatoes consists of critical opinion and we all know how un-biased that can be. ;)

2. Jack-D-Ripper

Jack-D-Ripper Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 21, 2002
    ^I don't really go with Box Office figures too much myself, but they can be taken into account in certain situations.

However, it should be noted that many very good films did not do good business at the Box Office. Blade Runner didn't. Gangs of New York didn't. (To list an old and a new example). Sure, truly bad films usually DO NOT do well at the box office, but films that verge on the awful occasionally do very well (such as Titanic).

I tend to look at RottenTomatoes as a very good basic indication. If a film scores 50% or above, I usually give it the benefit of the doubt. RT merely takes reviews, judges them if they are generally negative or positive, and simply forms a percentage from that. I think it is a very good system. AOTC scored 63%: that means that more than half the critics actually thought it was okay, and if one removed the influence of the critics that are deliberately out to get Star Wars, you'd probaly end up with a 70-75% score.

-JDR.

3. DarthHomer

DarthHomer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2000
    It's funny how the prequel haters go silent when you point out that TPM and AOTC mostly received positive reviews. I don't think it's actually critics who are biased against the prequels (not the majority, anyway). It's more entertaintment shows and magazines which seem to take it for granted that everyone hates the prequels.

4. SaberGiiett7

SaberGiiett7 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 2, 2002
    DarthHomer wrote: "It's funny how the prequel haters go silent when you point out that TPM and AOTC mostly received positive reviews.

The most common answer I've heard basher's on that is that Review source's praise terriable films and slam quality movie's to establish the image that they have depth to their review's. ;)

"I don't think it's actually critics who are biased against the prequels (not the majority, anyway). It's more entertainment shows and magazines which seem to take it for granted that everyone hates the prequels."

I like TPM and AOTC as much as the next guy, but I disagree - respectfully. :)The most prominent entertainment show E.T. hyped up TPM and AOTC to be the biggest movie's this decade. :)

As for Time magazine two of their issue's featured first naturally TPM then just last April I believe a issue centering around AOTC with Yoda on the cover. Both issue's of Time I may add had nothing but positive recognition and review's for the then upcoming movie's.

I think more freelance reviewer's made the negative mistake about trying to rebell against the general concensis of the audience and give both film's few stars. [face_plain]

<[-]> Saber

5. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    There's absoultely no doubt in my mind that there is a media bias against Star Wars, and there always has been, and there always will be. Which is fine by me, as the media represents the mainstream, and most people are worthless idiots anyway. What does disappoint me is the amount of nit-picking, clutching at straws, and just worthless whining in general that I see here at times. It's just disgusting.

LOTR does seem to get a free pass, but it wouldn't surprise me to see the media turn on it. Look at what Rolling Stone did with ATOC. But I'll let you in on a little secret: whether it's movie reviews or music reviews, Rolling Stone is a worthless sellout rag and always has been. USA Today has also been known to tack an extra star or two on a movies' review if it makes piles of cash. And don't even get me started on Entertainment Weakly. Every time I've read it, I've actually felt IQ points drop away.

6. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    The guy above me who mentioned EW statements about Star Wars and the Matrix siad everything I was think when I got my copy (yes I'am a subscriber) The Matrix did not shove TPM aside. The Matrix just got in and out before TPM opened.

I too am becoming a little tired of the Star Wars bashing in EW. I may send them an e-mail if they make another comment for no other reason then to trash SW.

On a side note EW is owned by Time Warner which owns Warner Brothers, hone of the Matrix Trilogy, and New Line Cinema, hone of LOTR, although I haven't read about any of the guys who made LOTR trashing SW.

Remember when that Matrix effects idiot said Lucas traded reality for blue screens and creates a souless enviorment. Take a look a one of the Matrix Reloaded pictures it Carrie Ann Moss on a complete blue screen set.

People who live in glass houses should not throw stones.

7. DarthWeenie

DarthWeenie Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 2, 2002
    TPM and AOTC did not recieve mostly positive reviews.

And there is no media bias against Star Wars.

8. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    The guys from WETA are too classy to bash SW, as is PJ himself. More than I can say for some people.

9. Jack-D-Ripper

Jack-D-Ripper Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 21, 2002
    TPM and AOTC did not recieve mostly positive reviews.

Depends on how you define "mostly". TPM and AOTC got a 63% rating on RT. That means that more than half the reviewers (those from major papers, publications and web-sites) gave it a positive review.

-JDR.

10. DarthHomer

DarthHomer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2000
    "TPM and AOTC did not recieve mostly positive reviews.

And there is no media bias against Star Wars."

Wrong on both counts.

11. Ekenobi

Ekenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 4, 2002
    Gobi-1:
    On a side note EW is owned by Time Warner which owns Warner Brothers, home of the Matrix Trilogy

I forgot about that. And wasn't Scooby-Doo made by Warner Bros. too! They put Scooby on their hit list of 2002 and AOTC on their miss list. Do not tell me there is not media bias! EW is proof they will favor those movies made by the companies that own them and bring down those that are not! No bias!?!? Bah! Sure is to me!

12. Ekenobi

Apr 4, 2002
    New Line Cinema, hone of LOTR, although I haven't read about any of the guys who made LOTR trashing SW

That is why I love LOTR. They did not make this trying to bring others down. THey even went to LFL for help with pre-vis. THey swallowed thier pride adn ask for some help.

Remember when that Matrix effects idiot said Lucas traded reality for blue screens and creates a souless enviorment. Take a look a one of the Matrix Reloaded pictures it Carrie Ann Moss on a complete blue screen set.

Yes. I saw that image. She was in front of bluescreen. WHAT A HYPOCRYT!!!!!!! He just ate his own words.

13. DarthBabe

DarthBabe Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 18, 2002
    Leonard Maltin said TPM was a good movie not great just a good film

Maybe I'm jumping into this thread too late. But I have episodes of Entertainment Tonight with Leonard Maltin walking out of a showing of TPM all excited and saying how great it was... But then months later I hear him bashing the film.

I never listen to critics when it comes to seeing a movie.

14. DarthSil

DarthSil Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 19, 2003
    Peter Travers from Rolling Stone did the exact same thing with AOTC. Anybody who says there isn't a media bias against Star Wars just isn't living in the real world.

15. DarthBabe

DarthBabe Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 18, 2002
    It's the latest fad to bash Star Wars. :mad:

16. Ekenobi

Apr 4, 2002
    EW does it again!!!! On EW.com, the section whre the rate the trailers of the upcoming summer movies. Under the T3 section:
    It's hard not to be suspicious of a ''Terminator'' movie made without mastermind James Cameron; it's like a ''Star Wars'' film without George Lucas on board (on second thought, maybe THAT wouldn't be so bad).

Another cheap shot. Don't they know if Lucas is not invloved, SW would suck!

17. robfett

robfett Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2002
    "I havn't seen any critic who knows anything about film or producing. To listen to them rant and rave about their personal feelings is a waste of my time." -George Lucas

w00t!

Rick McCallum thinks you're seriously deranged!

18. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    I don't think it's Star Wars per se, it's just much easier to get sales by attacking popular things.

19. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    Maybe I'm missing something, but how can a few snooty comments in EW constitute a Media Bias against Star Wars?

gez

20. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    From Page Six, which never passes up an opportunity to declare as fact that everyone hates the prequels (this is reporting the news that Peter Mayhew will be back as Chewie):

"'Star Wars' geeks are rejoicing at yet another sign that the final installment of George Lucas' sci-fi saga won't stink."

Page Six also hyped up the "N'Sync cameo in AOTC" to the sky, saying something like, "Lucas has already repelled fans with Jar Jar Binks. Now he tries to repel them even more with an N'Sync cameo."

Let's see, what other publications/websites slam the prequels on a regular basis: Salon.com, TV Guide, The San Francisco Chronicle, E! Online, FilmThreat.com...

21. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I have to admit I don't know what Page Six is, I suppose it's one of those Entertainment Weekly type mags, tabloid stuff, who's hot who's not, gossip, build em up knock em down. There's a show on late called Entertainment Now, it shows clips from all the premieres, news, gossip, celeb activity etc and the hosts link every item with a piss-taking comment, it's supposed to be funny but it's like a lot of tabloid TV and tabloid reportage - it's just filler, nonsense, fluff.
    I bet Entertainment Weekly are always building people up and then trashing them the following year if it'll get some attention.

I just think we have to look at these things in perspective - as I look across my room I see shelves of magazines and books on SW and Lucas, I have folders full of clippings, and there were MANY more mags and papers that I never got round to buying; and most of this material applauds, celebrates and generally regards Lucas with a lot of respect.
    Just in the last 6 years - since the special editions, there have been countless articles praising his innovations, his contributions to the industry - TIME magazine did a cover feature for the SEs, then a cover feature for TPM and then a cover feature for AOTC, now this is a highly respected magazine.
    All the movie mags did specials on the SEs TPM and AOTC, lengthy articles on the pioneering work Lucas promoted with Digital effects, THX sound systems, Digital Filming, Digital projection.
    WIRED magazine did a major interview with him.
    Vanity Fair, Sunday Times, in fact many of the Sundays did big features. EMPIRE, PREMIERE, SFX etc etc

And then there's all the TV documentaries, I must've taped 20 hours worth of stuff over the last 6 years, OMNIBUS detailing his life in cinema, 60 Minutes, interviews about Joe Campbell and Lucas's modern mythmaking. Loads of shows with celebs recounting fond memories of seeing SW the first time. All sorts of stuff about how SW changed the industry, changed FX, revolutionised sound.
    DVD mags applauding the THX quality control.
    Exhibitions displaying SW and all its works.
    And then theres Lucas's own stuff - The Insider and it's companion mags celebrating Lucas and his films.
    I mean I could go on and on.
    And even the reviewers who criticise the prequels then praise his technical achievements, much praise for his independence from Hollywood and his links and friendships with the best people.

But he can't get 100% approval, he is famous and he is rich, and all rich and famous people get criticised, and a lot of them get much worse - Lucas has never had to suffer his private life being dragged thru the mud like some have.

As I say I think its just a matter of keeping it in perspective, trashy mags might try and take a pop now and then and some reviewers might slate his films, well they are entitled to their opinion. But if you think about the quality mags and TV reporting, he always gets great respect from them.

Lucas deserves his praise but I'm sure he'd admit that he's lucky too, after all there are a LOT of unsung heroes in the movie biz, people who never get praised or awarded, and a lot of them never will.

So I just think George is doing fine. The only crime against him was that he didn't get the Best Director Oscar for Star Wars, but even there he's in good company, Hitchcock, Scorsese, Kubrick, they never got it either.

22. Ekenobi

Apr 4, 2002
    Good post gez! I agree with what you say. I have been focusing on EW because I subscribe to them. Yes they will have artcles about the PT beofer the movie comes out and build you up. But then then after the movie comes out they continue to take potshots and bring down the film. Even after the movie has been out after a year they are still taking potshots. I am just tired of these potshots when it is not necessary. No other magazine a year later is doing this. This is why I am not renewing my subscription.

23. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    Another snipe from TV Guide:

CHEW ON THIS: Things are wooking up for the ailing Star Wars franchise. George Lucas has confirmed that actor Peter Mayhew will reprise his role as Chewbacca in the final prequel, Star Wars: Episode III. Mayhew last donned his famous shag carpet costume in 1983's Return of the Jedi.

Ailing? Since when is the SW franchise "ailing"? It's like the anti-prequel folks hope that if they repeat it often enough, it'll become fact.

24. Ekenobi

Apr 4, 2002
    Again. And it is said there is no bias? Ailing? TPM = $431m, AOTC = $310m. Does not look like it is ailing at all. So I guess they think he is bringing in a classic character because the PT is "ailing" and that would I guess "save" the franchise. Just like they thought Lucas took thier critisms too heart about Jar Jar. They are so ridiculous!!!

25. JediOverlord

JediOverlord Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 28, 2000
    Star Wars ailing? I'd like to know what they're on. If anything,it's Star Trek that's ailing. Besides,you can't listen to these people,anything for a buck and a laugh and all that jazz.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.