main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Micro-series vs. TCW

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Saga_Symphony, Nov 14, 2012.

?

Which Clone Wars show do you like better?

1. Clone Wars (2003)

115 vote(s)
    35.2%
  2. The Clone Wars (2008)

212 vote(s)
    64.8%
  1. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    Didn't see a thread about this, and the "Rebrand the micro-series" thread got into this "which is better" thing a lot, so..

Micro-series and TCW, two shows about the same thing, but very different. One is 2D, the other 3D; one was comprised of short segments, the other is of half-hour episodes and spanning towards 6 or 7 seasons.

One has Genndy Tartakovsky and less involvement from Lucas, the other has Dave Filoni and quite a lot of involvement from Lucas.

Which is better?

2. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    The 2003 Genndy Series! Hands down!

The biggest flaw of the new one is that there is too much Lucas involved and too much use of the same characters of the main cast.

The old series tried and succeeded at using many characters we all love. Something that I thought was gonna be present in the new one but it has disappeared entirely, being replaced by stories about tired characters like Anakin and Padme.

3. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    TCW, is way better

The micro-series was dumb, everyone was overpowered which took the fun out of the show soo TCW all the way

4. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    [​IMG]

Hopeless and Samayel_ like this.
  5. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Poll? Poll? No Poll? Oh...

I like 'em both for different reasons. I'll say this, though: I hate nothing from the micro-series. TCW on the other hand...

And both have badass clones in red.:D
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

whostheBossk likes this.
  6. K'Kruhk

K'Kruhk Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2011
    The micro-series. Apart from Labyrinth of Evil, it didn't manage to conflict with continuity at all. Or conflict with itself.

Yes, and Gungans are as poweful as the ruthless, Jedi-killing leader of the droid armies, Grievous, aren't they?

Ahsoka, a Padawan for mere weeks is able to hold her own against the vastly experienced Ventress and Grievous. She's also overpowered.

7. Lady_Skywalker87

Lady_Skywalker87 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 4, 2008
    Micro series for me. Despite the short time span it had actual character development, emotion and most importantly its congruent with the FILMS. There 3 major flaws with TCW: Underestimation of the younger audience, pleasing those desitified with the PT and focusing on aspects that in the grand scheme of things are of less importance IMO.

8. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Even then, that was only because they were being produced pretty much simultaneously. IIRC, one was based on the early script of the other.

AusStig, Zeta1127 and K'Kruhk like this.
  9. Convor

Convor Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 25, 2011
    Apples and oranges.

But the answer is the micro-series.

AusStig, missile, V-2 and 12 others like this.
  10. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Lol how is holding her own against Grievous and Ventress called overpowered, did she beat them? no she didn't, Ventress and Grievous had the upper hand but she retreated

11. Super_Battle_Droid

Super_Battle_Droid Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2002
    I like both of them the same.

jeremiahj13 and AshiusX like this.
  12. K'Kruhk

K'Kruhk Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2011
    She's only a, what, 14-year-old Padawan? She shouldn't have lasted as long as she did, she should have been killed quickly. She's outlasted many Knights and Masters who have dueled Ventress and Grievous. It's not right.

13. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Sep 3, 2012
    The new show is dumb and I am sorry but how can everyone was overpowered take fun out of the old show?! Are you hearing yourself?!

14. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Yes i am hearing myself and it's my opinion

K'Kruhk than Anakin must have been training her well for her to survive, my guess or something and they didn't want to kill her off too quickly

Lord_Stalker likes this.
  15. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    Yeah, I should've added one.

16. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    The Clone Wars series. The micro-series had the worst action scenes in Star Wars... ever.

Lord_Stalker and Darth Vader like this.
  17. Coric

Coric Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 19, 2011
    No.

Just no.

AusStig, Sith Iratus, missile and 9 others like this.
  18. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Sep 3, 2012
    THANK YOU Coric for the backup! That is what I am talking about...

BEST ACTION IN SW!

AusStig and Zeta1127 like this.
  19. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    All you showed was one decent scene from the micro-series.

Why not bring up the part where Yoda levitates a whole army of droidekas? Or the entire Battle of Dantooine sequence? Just horrible...

The problem with the micro-series was that Genndy was trying to make it like DBZ.

20. Coric

Coric Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 19, 2011
    Fordo was in it.

Your point is invalid.
    [​IMG]

The first animated Clone Wars character with jaig eyes..

21. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
    I like both and they each have aspects that are less than desirable IMO. TCW's main problems are the writing that sometimes does not connect stories together or tries too hard to conform around the 22-minute timeframe and sometimes poor execution of an otherwise brilliant idea. And then of course there's Shadow Warrior, but that's a whole other category of awfulness. But I love the show and I look forward to each episode every week. The microseries was cool, and I loved the Nelvaan/Ilum storylines which are some of my favorite storylines out of the entire Star Wars universe. Nevertheless a few things were overdrawn in the microseries, such as Mace Windu on Dantooine and Grievous on Hypori; I also felt that Durge was ridiculous. Overall, I enjoy both.

AusStig, Lord_Stalker and QuangoFett like this.
  22. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    Clone Wars microseries - cool, slick, lightning-paced, consistently exhilarating, enormous fun, some key character moments.

TCW - deep, emotional, great characters, drama, action with purpose, exploration of PT's themes, cohesion with films, basically Star Wars: Episode 2.5.

Comparing TCW to the microseries is like comparing Sebastian Loeb to Ken Block.

23. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    The micro series where the Jedi showed that they could actually use the force. TCW is severely lacking in force feats.

24. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    This is really an apples to oranges type deal with these two shows. They are different products. They even reflect the difference in the kind of audience CN was targeting between 2004 and 2009.

I like the micro-series. The micro-series is a beautiful work of art. Its easily the most eye pleasing of anything Genndy Tartakovsky has created. Its full of breakneck paced cartoony actiony goodness. It also has a bleak, desolate, kinda emo feel to it that I'll admit I tend to enjoy. Yet the series doesn't take itself to seriously and has some well placed humor. It doesn't feel very cheesy or campy at all. Its done in a continuous style plot. There really isn't much to how it fits together, everything is self explained despite how little dialogue is in the micro-series. Its something I can easily rewatch in a couple hours. However I find only a few key events easily come to mind. Jedi seem a little much like gods there.

When I first came here I used to say TCW was perfect turn your brain off escapism. It reminded me of an early 90s cartoon with 3D animation. It was all campy and cheesy goodness. Its still got some of that but TCW has evolved past that. TCW has great action sequences. Its not all gratuitous violence. The show tends to tackle some really tenebrous themes without getting all grimdark depressing. Its disconnected, yet connected like seeing a 2000 piece puzzle scattered across a table and knowing all the pieces go together. With a little patience its fun to sort them all out and put the puzzle together. That makes TCW very rewatchable. The characters are mostly wonderful. Captain Rex is one of the coolest fictional characters I've come across in a while. The voice cast is awesome. Then TCW just has heart, as mature as it has grown its still got the heart of a kid's show which keeps my inner 8 year old amused. If I have to pick then for me TCW wins.

25. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    I prefer Genndy Tartakovsky's series, although it is a bit like comparing apples and oranges.

The music, the fact he can tell his stories without unnecessary dialogue, and the freed up and playful visuals are what gave his show the edge over TCW for me. Of course, the fact that his series bridged AOTC for the then unreleased ROTS gave it more relevance, which is a benefactor TCW didn't have anymore.

There's of course a lot I really enjoy about the new interpretation of the Clone Wars. Especially the fact GL penned so many of the story ideas himself, which makes it feel all the more official. Mortis was probably the most fascinating story arc to me, Umbara the most astonishing.

In a perfect World you'd have GL come up with the stories, Filoni and Tartakovsky working together as supervising directors.