main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Micro-series vs. TCW

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Saga_Symphony, Nov 14, 2012.

?

Which Clone Wars show do you like better?

1. Clone Wars (2003)

115 vote(s)
    35.2%
  2. The Clone Wars (2008)

212 vote(s)
    64.8%
  1. Prime Jedi

Prime Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Apr 14, 2018
    The microseries just makes me question why they needed an army in the first place. If Windu could take out like an entire army of Super Battle Droids by himself, and there's 10,000 Jedi, why was a clone army needed to fight in the war?

Vizzy91 and TetsuAero like this.
  2. Vinylshadow

Vinylshadow Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2017
    Mace is a Jedi Master and a member of the council

The other 9,900 Jedi or so aren't even remotely skilled as he is, and we saw several Jedi get shredded during the Battle of Geonosis (didn't like 200 show up and barely a dozen survived?)

3. Prime Jedi

Prime Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Apr 14, 2018
    Isnt that another inconsistency? If Mace was able to take out that "army" of battle droids himself on Dantooine, wouldn't he and like 3 other Council members be able to take out all of the droids that were in the arena?

4. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    ^I guess you could argue that there was more than battle droids to worry about on Geonosis.

And also, AotC wasn't a cartoon directed by Genndy Tartakovsky...

5. Vinylshadow

Vinylshadow Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2017
    CW was very much Style over Substance at times and probably best not to be taken too seriously

I'm of the mindset parts of it are in fact bits of propaganda films put together by Palpatine and viewed on both sides of the war through different lenses

"Here's Kit Fisto helping liberate Mon Calamari"

"Here's Kit Fisto murdering a bunch of Quarren and making the war drag on longer than it needs to"

6. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    CW is clearly a super stylized, exaggerated depiction of the war. The story itself is, to me, entirely consistent with the movies - and the same is true for TCW.
    I love both pretty much equally, though for different reasons. TCW fleshes out the war and all the characters in ways that no movie or micro series could ever hope to do. There are sooo many great character portrayals in that show!
    CW, on the other hand, is great for when I have an hour or two to kill and want to enjoy some kick-ass cartoon action.

I also like to imagine that the entirety of TCW takes place in-between Anakin's knighting and the Battle of Bomis Koori IV. Any inconsistencies between the shows are minor enough for me to just ignore :)

7. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    Several events from the Micro series are still both directly and indirectly referenced in Dark Disciple, particularly regarding Ventress' backstory (she was recruited on Rataka, had fought the Jedi prior to Christophsis, ect ect)

As far as I'm concerned, the micro series is still both the start and ending of the show. Seige of Mandalore may change that, but how explicitly is still hard to say. Depends on how they depict the battle of Coruscant (if they do at all!).

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
    Lulu Mars, spicer and Dr. Steve Brule like this.
  8. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Lucas himself early on definitely saw TCW as a continuation of the Tartakovsky cartoon. In early interviews and press releases for TCW back before the show even started, he referred to the microseries as the "pilot series" for the CGI production. As someone pointed out a while back in one of the Lit threads, the first season or two of TCW also seems to have been made with the intention of being a follow-on from the microseries, building off of things developed in the latter.

Lulu Mars, spicer and MrDarth0 like this.
  9. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    ^Not to mention some of the character designs are pretty much taken from CW. Dooku, Yoda, Palpatine, Mace. Even Obi-Wan and his wooden beard are similar.

Lulu Mars and spicer like this.
  10. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    That's why we should definitely reintegrate the first volume of CW back into canon :)

Volume 2 will probably not work any more after Season 7 of TCW is released, but Volume 1 fits perfectly with Season 1 of TCW and I always include it in my Clone Wars rewatches.

Which reminds me, I really hope we'll get CW on Blu-ray one day.

Vizzy91, Dr. Steve Brule and spicer like this.
  11. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    Do you have the DVDs? Thank the Maker, I still have mine. [face_relieved]

12. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    I think both shows really nailed Obi-Wan. (Prolly thanks to James Arnold Taylor's involvement in both shows).

However, I think both shows missed the mark with Anakin. The micro series was much closer to showing the evolution from AOTC Anakin to the first half of ROTS Anakin but the actual development was more of a montage to show how they've grown in the war instead of actual development..

TCW just decided to make Anakin the first 30 minutes of ROTS Anakin basically 2 months after AOTC and I didn't buy that. Anakin remains pretty stagnant as a character through most of the show's run, due to the show's more Saturday morning serial approach.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  13. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    Yep, still have them, but I wouldn't mind seeing CW in HD :)

spicer and Togruta like this.
  14. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Building off this, the Full of Sith podcast did an episode on the original Clone Wars microseries, and the things the later TCW series did that drew from the original, including stuff like voice actors, character designs, and storylines.

15. Vizzy91

Vizzy91 Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 12, 2018
    How would you guys feel if 03 was made canon but 08 was removed from canon?

16. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    I'd be disappointed for sure. The microseries was nice for a brief, albeit exaggerated, glimpse into what went on in between AOTC and ROTS. TCW gave everything far more depth, and many suggest it was the saving grace for the PT as a whole.

TheYodaPagoda likes this.
  17. TheYodaPagoda

TheYodaPagoda Force Ghost star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    I liked all of the prequel movies, but the series was able to flesh out things the films would be unable to do. My headcanon says most of what happened in Volume 1 of Clone Wars probably happened. I think Volume 2 also showed what was possible with Star Wars animation storytelling, with the simultaneous stories on Coruscant involving Palpatine, and Obi-Wan and Anakin on Nelvaan.
    Without Clone Wars, we wouldn't have The Clone Wars. TCW showed that there were more stories to tell during the Clone Wars we were teased about in A New Hope, and just hearing Luke's line of dialogue "you fought in the Clone Wars?" gives me visions of Rex and Cody fighting alongside Anakin, Ahsoka and Obi-Wan.

18. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    @Ahsoka's Tano , @TheYodaPagoda

Clone Wars micro series was just one part of the Clone Wars multimedia project. The stories and depth were told in the novels and comics and video games, and were far superior to what TCW later added/overwrote. It's just unfair to say the stories didn't exist before TCW.

TCW should be compared to the whole CW project rather than the micro series alone.
    https://boards.theforce.net/threads/clone-wars-multimedia-project-vs-the-clone-wars.50022641
    See the difference in the vote?

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
    Darth__Lobot and Force Smuggler like this.
  19. Vizzy91

Nov 12, 2018
    What books/comics would you recommend I read from the multimedia project?

Blackhole E Snoke likes this.
  20. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    ^ The Star Wars: Republic comic series from Dark Horse were pretty good. It's mainly where the popularity of Quinlan Vos comes from, I think. Ventress was also quite different in those comics. The highlight for me was ARC Trooper Alpha, who I think was the inspiration for Rex in the TCW series.

Blackhole E Snoke likes this.
  21. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    The truth of the matter is that I don't even know why this thread wasn't closed immediately. It's against the rules to compare Rebels to TCW; but the microseries vs. TCW is open for debate?

22. Vizzy91

Nov 12, 2018
    Well that's due to debates getting really dangerous and people calling names. However when comparing microseries to TCW, debates are civil and don't go over the top.

23. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    Yeah, debate is really the wrong word in the warning at the top of the TV forum. Rant is a more accurate word. Ranting isn't allowed, debate like this is fine.

24. Vizzy91

Nov 12, 2018
    Yeah that's the word I meant to do

25. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I could swear there have been times in this thread where the debates have gotten pretty heated though.