main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Memph, TN Midnight Showing of Episode III Planning Thread - Line forms at 5pm per Malco

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Qui-Gon Tim, Mar 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Qui-Gon Tim

Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep star 5

Apr 1, 2000
    We are now 73 days away from the premier of Episode III!

With that in mind, we need to start discussing our plans for that night, including our degree of involvement with local theaters and radio stations for that night.

I sent out my first email to Malco today, and I contacted Tommy Davis with 94.1 The Buzz to see if they were going to do the premier again.

Before I go and commit us to being involved in this, I need some feedback from all of you. I need to know who is interested, who is willing to concretely commit to participating, and what ideas you all may have as to what we could do as a group to help make the opening of ROTS more fun and exciting for not only us, but for the general public.

We need to get this going soon, so I need to hear from everyone. If there's not enough interest from the group, I'm not going to involve us in anything, so your feedback is extremely important.

2. IrishThunder

IrishThunder Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 5, 2001
    I'm game with whatever as long as we don't all try to go to the Muvico. That was a nightmare back in '02. April has already informed me that some of her co-workers want to come with us and I have my regulars that will also be with us also. My friends may be bringing some of their friends from Danek, so it looks like I'll have a large group with me. If we can get a viewing location nailed down (my vote is the Paridiso or somewhere out by Wolfchase)I can coordinate with my little group and see how involved they will be. Do we know which theaters will have a digital projector and THX sound? I'd love to be able to watch the movie on a good setup like the Majestic has. I've already asked off of work for the 18th and 19th, may put in for the 17th just for the heck of it. I'm willing to camp out for at least 12 hrs as long as the weather is decent.

3. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    We'll be doing Malco's midnight showing for sure. I'm hoping the Paradiso will be where they do it this time since it's the new flagship theater for Malco, and it has the probably the most advanced THX digital setup in the country. (Believe it or not, y'all! Malco has really gone all-out to give their audiences the best.)

I'm scared they're going to do it at the Majestic. If so, we'll be converting some real firearms into props for our own protection.

4. kellrob

kellrob Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 15, 2004
    Rob and I are planning to go where ever everyone else is going. I am taking off the 19th. I am not up for camping out. We like the Malco Cordova or Malco 12 on Stage, but where ever ya'll are going, we will be there. Is anyone (or everyone) going in costume for this???

5. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Not sure of anything right now, Kelly, except that we'll be wherever Malco does their big midnight showing on May 19th (meaning we'll be in line on Wednesday, May 18th). They did AOTC at the Majestic. Like I said, we're hoping they'll give us a better venue for ROTS since Hickory Hill has gone to hell in a handbasket.

However, I'm talking about the group possibly doing more than just all meeting there to see the movie. I'm talking about us coordinating with Malco and radio stations and actually participating in the opening, meaning that we could costume, run trivia contests, etc. What I really need to know is just how far folks are willing to take this. If the most anyone is willing to do is show up and watch the movie, then I don't see a reason for us to even involve ourselves with other entities.

6. otisdodge

otisdodge Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2004
    I will actually be done with school and living in Little Rock by then, but I am torn, because I would rather be here with y'all (no offense to Henry et al).

7. Chewbracca

Chewbracca Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 21, 2002
    Just tell me where to go. If we end up in Hickory Hill, we prob need to pack some heat.

8. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    How do you say "Pop a cap in yo' butt" in Huttese?

No reply yet from Malco or The Buzz. I may have to resort to other connections.

9. kellilla

kellilla Jedi Master star 2

Sep 4, 2002
    My gang and I will be going wherever you guys go!

10. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    One thing I will say is this: We won't participate in any pre-screening activities unless they promise...in writing... to hold each of us that participates a seat for the midnight screening. I'm not going to miss the first showing because I wasn't in line and I didn't get a seat! I'll request that they rope off a section. I don't even mind paying for the ticket, to be honest, they just have to promise to hold my seat for me, which is the least they should do for any of us helping with their premier. If they can't promise that, then I can tell you that there will be no deal.

11. DarthToddy

DarthToddy Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 22, 2004
    General.....count me!!!! Just as long as I have a nice seat to the coolest and most fan-filled and joyful setting we can find in Memphis..........Muvico anyone!?!!? Maybe we can get Mr. Dees to come cover us :D

12. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    I'll hold our place in line! :D

I am getting those seats in the front by the rail. Nice place to put your feet up. (When you are not under the seat!)

13. TK_1427

TK_1427 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 12, 2003
    Well, I was was planning on wearing my armor and I personally would like to see a strong group of costumes for this. So you've got one that's concrete for costumes and other activities. I definitely do not want to be the only one in costume. It would have little impact. So if this is all a go, I'm there dude!!! If not I may drive over to Nashville and troop with my 501st bretheren.

14. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    I dunno who is going to show up in costume or who isn't right now, Chuck.

Trace: Call your dad and find out when the Lightmans come in for their golf lessons. I could conveniently pop in since I'm right around the corner.

15. Timewalker

Timewalker Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 27, 2004
    Jacob: I will actually be done with school and living in Little Rock by then, but I am torn, because I would rather be here with y'all (no offense to Henry et al).

Now waitasec..... when you say "done with school" are you talking "for the Summer" or "DONE"? 'Cause if we have been investing all of this time in you, just to have you run back to Arkansas at the first sign of graduation, well, I don't know about the rest of you, but I feel betrayed. Here I thought we had a true, dedicated, full-time SMTer, and he's just a temp.
    tsk, tsk.

-Joe <sniff>

16. Timewalker

Aug 27, 2004
    Tim: I dunno who is going to show up in costume or who isn't right now, Chuck.

Don't know if we'll have costumes ready by then , but if not, I'll wear THIS!.

-Joe

17. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    It's alright, Joe. Just swipe a handful of his minis at the next gaming night. That'll teach him. :p

Weren't you going to make a Quinlan Vos costume, Joe?

18. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    I'm doing a costume for Toy R Us, but not for this. I'll be holding the sidewalk down. :p

19. Timewalker

Aug 27, 2004
    Yeah. Remember that grey material we showed you? Turns out it's not so easy to work with.
    We're on the look out for some more.
    Gina found a sheer off-white that will probably work good for an under-tunic, and an interesting shade of red that could make some neat tabbards/obi.

But, with us new to the costuming thing, and you being so busy, I think planning for Halloween is probably the best to reduce stress levels.

-Joe

20. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    If we opt against costumes (which is what I'm leaning toward - remember, it's gonna be late May and we'll be outside in line for 10-12 hours), then I think it would be kewl if we wore our SMT jerseys. [face_idea]

And I'll have to see my name engraved on the back of a theater seat before I take one step out of line. :p

21. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Oooo... You're so right about the heat, hon. We may all be opting for jerseys. I don't want to be sweating my butt off.

22. TK_1427

TK_1427 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 12, 2003
    Not to be a party pooper, but I'm gonna head on over to Nashville since everyone is probably not going to be in costume. There's no way I'm gonna miss being in costume for this since it's the last one but if I do it here in town, I'm gonna look stupid being the only one. So I shall go where I know there will be a few in costume.

23. otisdodge

otisdodge Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2004
    Now waitasec..... when you say "done with school" are you talking "for the Summer" or "DONE"? 'Cause if we have been investing all of this time in you, just to have you run back to Arkansas at the first sign of graduation, well, I don't know about the rest of you, but I feel betrayed. Here I thought we had a true, dedicated, full-time SMTer, and he's just a temp.
    tsk, tsk.

I can't promise what will happen when I DO graduate, but that isn't until next year.

What is happening this year is we can't afford our apartment. The lease runs out in May so we are letting it go and moving in with my parents for the summer and finding someplace new to live in August. Hopefully closer to school and cheaper.

I won't be done with my masters until spring 06.

So most of the summer I will be in LR and supporting Henry and the gang down there, but I will be back in the fall and may come up for events during the summer if I can swing it.

And hey Joe, you'll only be friends if someone can promise to live here for the rest of their life? ;)

As for May 18/19--If I am here I would want to do the big shebang and have a large showing in costume with activities and crap. Whether I am in LR or here I am planning on taking the day off and seeing the movie several times.

My robes are quite comfortable if I am not running around too much and I think they would be quite suited for theater temperatures, once I reached a resting heart rate.

I guess my decision will weigh somewhat on what is planned, but it will probably have more to do with family plans as my family in LR are pretty big fans but will probably not be up for a drive to Memphis for it.

24. Chewbracca

Chewbracca Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 21, 2002
    I think I'll wear a costume. Who cares, I'll have a mask on!! Plus I'll have somebody to hold a seat for me.

25. Dork-Vader

Dork-Vader Star Wars Sketch Card Artist star 4 VIP

May 14, 2003
    It's a midnight showing, so it may be cool enough for costumes. I'll wear mine if some others will, too. Too cool of costumes for folks not to!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.