main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge Mini-Games Challenge (Now Open For NEW 2024 Challenges!)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Mar 15, 2020.

1. Pandora

Pandora Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 13, 2005
    I could, and probably should, say "no"--but I'm choosing to say "yes." May I have #3, @Thumper09?

2. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Love it @Thumper09, thanks! You just gave me the key to one of the stories I'll be working on for WIP month :D

3. Thumper09

Thumper09 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    @Pandora
    #3 is the one with two options. Which one you choose is up to you.

First we have a rogue planet. Like the Legends book of the same name, think Zonama Sekot without the sentience, or the Moon in Space: 1999. A rogue planet is an interstellar object of planetary mass that's not bound to a star. So it's basically a planet flying through space instead of orbiting a star. They form around a star like a regular planet but then are theorized to be ejected from their solar system due to gravitational effects of other objects around it.

The other choice is a globular cluster. A globular cluster is a group of stars bound together by gravity, with a higher concentration of stars near the center. They contain anywhere from tens of thousands to millions of stars. The density of the stars themselves can range from 0.4 stars per cubic parsec on average, up to 100 - 1000 stars per cubic parsec near the center. In comparison, the stellar density around our sun is about 0.1 stars per cubic parsec. The typical distance between stars in a globular cluster can average around one light year, and decreases to about 0.3 light years apart near the center of the cluster. (The closest star to our sun is 4.3 light years away.) They're thought to be unfavorable locations for planetary systems due to the gravitational forces and instability.

4. Pandora

Pandora Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 13, 2005
    "A lone planet, wandering through space..."

If I stare at this picture whilst listening to Delerium's most "outer space" works long enough, I'm sure to come up with something (and "some thing" will probably be an accurate assessment) here.

5. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
  6. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
  7. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    Alright, I've restrained myself long enough right? :p

So since I've noticed that there is a whole slew of #4's open, I'd like to request:

#4 from the Edgar Allan Poe Poetry Challenge from @devilinthedetails

#4 from The Disney Villain Song Challenge! from @Raissa Baiard

#4 from the STARSET Roulette Challenge from @ViariSkywalker

and #4 from "The Cats" Challenge from @earlybird-obi-wan

8. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    @Kahara Excellent to have another participant in my Edgar Allan Poe Poetry Challenge[face_dancing]

Your quote is one of the most evocative portrayals of grains of sand slipping through fingers that I have ever read. I hope you will be able to hear the noise of the ocean as I did:

“I stand amid the roar
    Of a surf-tormented shore,
    And I hold within my hand
    Grains of golden sand–
    How few! yet how they creep
    Through my fingers to the deep,
    While I weep–I weep!”--A Dream Within a Dream

9. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    @devilinthedetails , that's beautiful! @};- Thanks for the prompt. I can definitely think of a few things I might use it for; lots of ocean-going bunnies. :)

10. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Since prompts are flying off this thread’s shelves like candy before Christmas and my five Greek islands are all taken, the mods graciously approved a second mini-game for me. I gave in to my more esoteric inclinations for this one, and I propose to you…

The Islamic Architecture Roulette

Islamic architecture is one of my lesser-known obsessions – lesser-known because once I get started on the topic, I tend to go on forever, so I usually avoid inflicting that on people. I’m that person who buys travel guides and reads them in the dead of the night to make an ever-expanding list of destinations I’ll visit when I grow up. Until that happens though (as unlikely as it is), I thought I’d share a few favourites with you to see if they spark an idea for a story or two. As usual, I’ll include a background blurb about each building, but you can of course ignore it and just look at the pretty pictures. So pick a number and follow in the steps of Ibn Battuta for some wonders of the Muslim world!

Index of Budding Architects
    1. Great Mosque of Djenné, Mali – claimed by earlybird-obi-wan: Mission to Esseles
    2. Ulugh Beg Madrasa, Samarkand, Uzbekistan – claimed by GregMcP: Ghosts of Ulug Beg
    3. Topkapı Palace, Istanbul, Turkey – claimed by Findswoman
    4. Old City of Sanaa, Yemen – claimed by Pandora
    5. Bimaristan Arghun al-Kamili, Aleppo, Syria – claimed by WarmNyota_SweetAyesha: Looking Back, Looking Ahead (entry 6)

Last edited: Jan 25, 2024
  11. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    @Kahara your lyrics from the Cats are
    4 one way wind

You said some winds blow forever
    And I didn't understand
    But you saw my eyes were asking
    And smiling you took my hands
    So we walked along the seaside
    Where trees grow just one way
    Finding out the one direction
    That the wind blows day after day

Chorus:
    One way wind, one way wind
    Are you trying to blow my mind
    One way wind, one way wind
    Is she her that I hope to find
    Why you blow the colds everyday
    Tell me what are you trying to say

No I don't know all about you
    And maybe I never will
    But I do know every word of
    Our talking upon the hill
    And whenever I will see you
    For maybe one more time
    I'm sure I'll get the answer that
    the wind has still in mind
    (Chorus)
    One way wind, etc

12. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Dearest @Chyntuck, I would love a piece of Architecture. Thank you.

Number 2, if I must pick.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2023
  13. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Hello @GregMcP :) Your pick is the gorgeous Ulugh Beg Madrasa, in Samarkand, Uzbekistan

One of the three madrasas that form the monumental Registan, the Ulugh Beg Madrasa was built in the 15th century by Ulugh Beg, grandson of Timur the Great (Tamerlane) and future emperor of the Timurid Empire. Ulugh Beg was a patron of the arts and sciences and was a notable astronomer himself. His madrasa was the mediaeval equivalent of an Islamic university and one of the most important teaching centres of the time. It is most famous for its intricate tilework, both on the façade and on the walls of the inner courtyard and buildings. Here is a picture, you can see a photo gallery here.

[​IMG]

14. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    The Astronomer King... okay, I can picture a little scene here. Staring up at the stars as the intricate images on the walls move and talk to him as he lies in a fever fueled by mysterious ancient drugs.

And Star Wars is somewhere in there too.

15. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    @Chyntuck ... I have been intrigued immensely by the Mughal Empire in the facets of history and historical fiction. If you have something from that timeframe or region, please pick it for me? @};-

16. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard Chosen One star 4

Nov 22, 1999
    @Kahara grab your tarot cards and head down to the bayou--you get "Friends on the Other Side", sung by Dr. Facilier in The Princess and the Frog.

17. ViariSkywalker

ViariSkywalker Chosen One star 4

Aug 9, 2002
    You got it! :D #4 is "Let It Die" from the album Transmissions:

Ooh, I can definitely work with that! [face_thinking] Thank you!

[face_mischief]

18. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Have you ever had a feeling that you just can't describe? A feeling too large, too small, or too abstract for words? Well, verbophile John Koenig did, and what began as a tumblr project soon turned into a New Your Times bestseller: The Dictionary of Obscure Sorrows.

Obviously, such a dictionary is just ripe with fanfic prompt potential! So, to play, I thought we could do something different with the . . .

[​IMG]

To play The Bingo of Obscure Sorrows, the rules are simple: pick a row up, down, across, or diagonal, and write a story inspired by those five words. Please note that you don't necessarily have to use these exact words within your story, though you may do so if that's how you're inspired; take the prompts as figuratively or as literally as you'd like! You may even choose more than one row. if you're feeling particularly daring. As many participants who would like to sign up are welcome, since this isn't a traditional "five slot" roulette.

I placed the complete list of definitions beneath the spoiler tag. It's up to you, whether you want to look at the definitions first and then pick a row, or be completely intrepid in choosing your prompts blind. [face_mischief]

As defined by John Koenig:
    • Ambedo (n.) a kind of melancholic trance in which you become completely absorbed in vivid sensory details—raindrops skittering down a window, tall trees leaning in the wind, clouds of cream swirling in your coffee—which leads to a dawning awareness of the haunting fragility of life, a mood whose only known cure is the vuvuzela.

• Austice (n.) a wistful omen of the first sign of autumn—a subtle coolness in the shadows, a rustling of dead leaves abandoned on the sidewalk, or a long skein of geese sweeping over your head like the second hand of a clock.

• Chrysalism (n.) the amniotic tranquility of being indoors during a thunderstorm, listening to waves of rain pattering against the roof like an argument upstairs, whose muffled words are unintelligible but whose crackling release of built-up tension you understand perfectly.

• Ecstatic Shock (n.) the surge of energy upon catching a glance from someone you like—a thrill that starts in your stomach, arcs up through your lungs and flashes into a spontaneous smile—which scrambles your ungrounded circuits and tempts you to chase that feeling with a kite and a key.

• Etterath (n.) the feeling of emptiness after a long and arduous process is finally complete—having finished school, recovered from surgery, or gone home at the end of your wedding—which leaves you relieved that it’s over but missing the stress that organized your life into a mission.

• Exulansis (n.) the tendency to give up trying to talk about an experience because people are unable to relate to it—whether through envy or pity or simple foreignness—which allows it to drift away from the rest of your life story, until the memory itself feels out of place, almost mythical, wandering restlessly in the fog, no longer even looking for a place to land.

• Fata Organa (n.) a flash of real emotion glimpsed in someone sitting across the room, idly locked in the middle of some group conversation, their eyes glinting with vulnerability or quiet anticipation or cosmic boredom—as if you could see backstage through a gap in the curtains, watching stagehands holding their ropes at the ready, actors in costume mouthing their lines, fragments of bizarre sets waiting for some other production.

• Fitzcarraldo (n.) an image that somehow becomes lodged deep in your brain—maybe washed there by a dream, or smuggled inside a book, or planted during a casual conversation—which then grows into a wild and impractical vision that keeps scrambling back and forth in your head like a dog stuck in a car that's about to arrive home, just itching for a chance to leap headlong into reality.

• Flashover (n.) the moment a conversation becomes real and alive, which occurs when a spark of trust shorts out the delicate circuits you keep insulated under layers of irony, momentarily grounding the static emotional charge you’ve built up through decades of friction with the world.

• La Gaudière (n.) the glint of goodness inside people, which you can only find by sloshing them back and forth in your mind until everything dark and gray and common falls away, leaving behind a constellation at the bottom of the pan—a rare element trapped in exposed bedrock, washed there by a storm somewhere upstream.

• Hanker Sore (adj.) finding a person so attractive it actually kinda pisses you off.

• Kairosclerosis (n.) the moment you realize that you're currently happy—consciously trying to savor the feeling—which prompts your intellect to identify it, pick it apart and put it in context, where it will slowly dissolve until it's little more than an aftertaste.

• Kenopsia (n.) the eerie, forlorn atmosphere of a place that's usually bustling with people but is now abandoned and quiet—a school hallway in the evening, an unlit office on a weekend, vacant fairgrounds—an emotional afterimage that makes it seem not just empty but hyper-empty, with a total population in the negative, who are so conspicuously absent they glow like neon signs.

• Keyframe (n.) a moment that seemed innocuous at the time but ended up marking a diversion into a strange new era of your life—set in motion not by a series of jolting epiphanies but by tiny imperceptible differences between one ordinary day and the next, until entire years of your memory can be compressed into a handful of indelible images—which prevents you from rewinding the past, but allows you to move forward without endless buffering.

• Liberosis (n.) the desire to care less about things—to loosen your grip on your life, to stop glancing behind you every few steps, afraid that someone will snatch it from you before you reach the end zone—rather to hold your life loosely and playfully, like a volleyball, keeping it in the air, with only quick fleeting interventions, bouncing freely in the hands of trusted friends, always in play.

• Mahpiohanzia (n.) the disappointment of being unable to fly, unable to stretch out your arms and vault into the air, having finally shrugged off the ballast of your own weight and ignited the fuel tank of unfulfilled desires you've been storing up since before you were born.

• Mal de Coucou (n.) a phenomenon in which you have an active social life but very few close friends—people who you can trust, who you can be yourself with, who can help flush out the weird psychological toxins that tend to accumulate over time— which is a form of acute social malnutrition in which even if you devour an entire buffet of chitchat, you’ll still feel pangs of hunger

• Midding (v. intr.) feeling the tranquil pleasure of being near a gathering but not quite in it—hovering on the perimeter of a campfire, chatting outside a party while others dance inside, resting your head in the backseat of a car listening to your friends chatting up front—feeling blissfully invisible yet still fully included, safe in the knowledge that everyone is together and everyone is okay, with all the thrill of being there without the burden of having to be.

• Mimeomia (n.) the frustration of knowing how easily you fit into a stereotype, even if you never intended to, even if it's unfair, even if everyone else feels the same way—each of us trick-or-treating for money and respect and attention, wearing a safe and predictable costume because we're tired of answering the question, "What are you supposed to be?"

• Moledro (n.) a feeling of resonant connection with an author or artist you'll never meet, who may have lived centuries ago and thousands of miles away but can still get inside your head and leave behind morsels of their experience, like the little piles of stones left by hikers that mark a hidden path through unfamiliar territory

• Opia (n.) the ambiguous intensity of looking someone in the eye, which can feel simultaneously invasive and vulnerable—their pupils glittering, bottomless and opaque—as if you were peering through a hole in the door of a house, able to tell that there's someone standing there, but unable to tell if you're looking in or looking out.

• Rubatosis (n.) the unsettling awareness of your own heartbeat, whose tenuous muscular throbbing feels less like a metronome than a nervous ditty your heart is tapping to itself, the kind that people compulsively hum or sing while walking in complete darkness, as if to casually remind the outside world, I’m here, I’m here, I’m here.

• Scabulous (adj.) proud of a scar on your body, which is an autograph signed to you by a world grateful for

• Waldosia (n. [Brit. wallesia]) a condition characterized by scanning faces in a crowd looking for a specific person who would have no reason to be there, which is your brain's way of checking to see whether they're still in your life, subconsciously patting its emotional pockets before it leaves for the day.

• Xeno (n.) the smallest measurable unit of human connection, typically exchanged between passing strangers—a flirtatious glance, a sympathetic nod, a shared laugh about some odd coincidence—moments that are fleeting and random but still contain powerful emotional nutrients that can alleviate the symptoms of feeling alone.

The Index of Participants
    • ViariSkywalker | Diagonal: scabulous, chrysalism, opia, fitzcarraldo, ecstatic shock
    • WarmNyota_SweetAyesha | Row One, Across: ambedo, liberosis, austice, kenopsia, ecstatic shock
    • Chyntuck | TBD
    • RX_Sith | Row Five, Down: ecstatic shock, mal de coucou, moledro, exulansis, keyframe
    • earlybird-obi-wan | Row Two, Down: liberosis, xeno, flashover, chrysalism, hanker sore
    • amidalachick | Row Five, Across: scabulous, hanker sore, rubatosis, kairosclerosis, keyframe

The Index of Replies

[face_batting]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2023
  19. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Unfortunately I haven't bought that particular travel guide yet :p The closest I had (and then only geographically) was the Ulugh Beg Madrasa. Do you want me to pick another setting based on what I know of your writing?

20. ViariSkywalker

ViariSkywalker Chosen One star 4

Aug 9, 2002
    All right @Mira_Jade , I'll bite. [face_mischief] I'll start with the diagonal of scabulous, chrysalism, opia, fitzcarraldo, and ecstatic shock. [face_batting]

21. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Aw, yeah. :cool: [face_mischief]

Adding you to the index now! :* [:D]

22. Thumper09

Thumper09 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    @earlybird-obi-wan

#1 is a meteor storm. Many people are familiar with meteor showers, where streams of cosmic debris (meteoroids) from a comet enter the atmosphere and cause a "shooting star" effect of a streak of light as they disintegrate. A meteor storm is a very intense meteor shower and produces over 1000 meteors per hour. Most of the meteors we see during a shower or storm are smaller than a grain of sand and never reach the surface.

23. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    @Chyntuck ...
    Yes, please. @};-
    @Mira_Jade For your UBER UBER foray into Obscure Sorrows, how lovely that title is, I pick Ambedo, Ecstatic Shock and Liberosis ... loving the imagery of a volleyball (substitute basketball) in the air [face_laugh]
    This will dovetail into a wonderful L/M on the brink fic I am SO sure! ^:)^

24. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    [face_laugh] [face_love] You're right, they would! I can't wait to see what you make of that combination! I put you down for the whole first row across, which also includes the words austice and kenopsia if you are so inspired. :D [:D]

25. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    @Mira_Jade

I would like to participate in the Obscure Sorrows. Thanks.