main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge Mini-Games Challenge (Now Open For NEW 2024 Challenges!)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Mar 15, 2020.

1. ViariSkywalker

ViariSkywalker Chosen One star 4

Aug 9, 2002
    I just want you to know that I love this soundtrack. [face_love] It's been a while since I've watched the show, but I remember loving the music a lot, so this is right up my alley. :D

(Oh! If you're into that 80s synth sound, there's a synthwave/cyberpunk playlist I listened to recently on youtube, maybe you'd enjoy it? Vae Victis)

2. amidalachick

amidalachick Chosen One star 5

Aug 3, 2003
    @RX_Sith Your track is The Week is Long from Season 3. Happy writing! :D

The music is so good! They've really done an amazing job with it. [face_love] I'm glad you like it, and I hope it's inspiring!

Ooh, cool! I'm bookmarking that for study music. Thank you! :)

3. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2023
  4. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    I have your story indexed @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha!

And just a reminder that there are still 3 slots left in the Islamic Architecture Roulette. I have a standalone building, a building complex and a city available for anyone who needs a grand setting for a story :D

5. RX_Sith

RX_Sith SFTC August Co-Winner/Streaker star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 13, 2006
  6. UltramassiveUbersue

UltramassiveUbersue Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2023
  7. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 7

Aug 21, 2006
  8. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    You know, since it looks like you have two songs left... [face_thinking]

...may I please have one? I trust you to choose the one you think is better suited to me and the kinds of things, characters, etc. I write. :cool:

Last edited: Sep 18, 2023
  9. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard Chosen One star 4

Nov 22, 1999
    Yes, you can always trust in me. Trussssst in me…. Speaking of which, you get one of my favorites, “Trust in Me”, from The Jungle Book

Fun fact: Kaa the python is voiced by Sterling Holloway, best known for providing the voice of Winnie the Pooh!

10. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Oh wow, I can see why you chose that one for me! Definitely some good potential here; thanks so much. :)

Last edited: Sep 18, 2023
  11. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard Chosen One star 4

Nov 22, 1999
    Great! I’ve added it to the index.

12. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
  13. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
  14. Pandora

Pandora Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 13, 2005
    @Findswoman Pandora, my friend, guess what: you have received the very exact song I was (now not so) secretly hoping to be able to give you (which I mean as a compliment, because I think it suits several of your characters), which is Rescue Me (1990).

I wonder which characters those could be...

[For myself, whilst I was typing out my request, I figured that whatever song I received, I could find a way to write something with Florian.]

------------------------

@Chyntuck: And just a reminder that there are still 3 slots left in the Islamic Architecture Roulette. I have a standalone building, a building complex and a city available for anyone who needs a grand setting for a story :D

All right--I'm convinced.

With the caveat that I might actually produce a story in 2030, I'm going to go for #4.

15. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    @Pandora I can think of ways you can make this one work on two different planets at least! Your pick is the Old City of Sanaa, Yemen – Situated in a mountain valley at 2200m altitude and continuously inhabited for 2500 years, the Old City of Sanaa is notable for the large number and density of burnt brick and rammed earth tower-houses enclosed within its walls. While most structures are relatively recent, dating back to a series of reconstructions of the Old City during the Ottoman era, the spatial organisation remains faithful to that of the early centuries of Islam, with a goal to provide spacious living quarters to a large population within easily defensible fortifications. Here is a picture; Bayt al-Fann has a photo gallery with many more pretty images.

[​IMG]

16. Pandora

Apr 13, 2005
    @Chyntuck : So: I was hoping, as I selected my number and mentally crossed my fingers, that I would get the city. Sometimes, the luck of the draw really is on one's side. Also, I live in a mountain valley (well technically speaking, I live on a bench on a ridge above the valley, but that's close enough) so even though the climate is different I might know a few useful things.

Also, I'm curious as to the identities of the two planets you mentioned as possible locales. Just in case that should provide additional inspiration.

[Though I solemnly swear that if I wind up setting my story on Kiffu, I will not muck about in yours and Mira_Jade's fanon and write a story focusing on the members of the Forgotten. My word of honor.]

Last edited: Sep 20, 2023
  17. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    I'm glad Sanaa works for you @Pandora!

The planets I had in mind were Tatooine and Alderaan, the former for a version of it in its heyday in the distant past or the far future (if you have a look at the photo gallery I linked to, you'll see that dramatic landscape of a barren mountain in the background), the latter for a mountaintop counterpart to Crevasse City. But Kiffu is probably a better idea, now that you mention it! And for my part, I'll say that you're certainly welcome to "muck about" :p in any and all aspects of my fanon; however, because it intermingles so closely with @Mira_Jade 's, you'd need permission from her too (the Forgotten in particular are her brainchild, as are the description of the capital city, a number of the High Clans, etc etc.). Whatever you end up writing though, I'm sure it will be glorious and I can't wait to read it!

18. Pandora

Apr 13, 2005
    @Chyntuck : It might take a while (as in literally years) but I think I will come up with something.

Interestingly enough, I did consider Tatooine in the far future as a possibility--though right now, it is a scene without even a hint of a story. But I wouldn't have ever thought of Alderaan, even if it does have mountains. (For various reasons involving both my long dead first fanfiction set on Alderaan and Disney's taking it on in the new EU, I consider that world off-limits to my imagination altogether. I just cannot write about it, and that is that.) Or I might well go with something on Kiffu. Which would be a whole new planet/culture for me, and having a city there mostly of my own creation to start with could be interesting. And thank you for your kind permission to "muck about" with your fanon. I have been reading your Kiffar fanon post in the Fanon Thread, and even if I only take inspiration from it, I find it to be quite interesting.

But as I wrote, I shall not write about the Forgotten in particular. I can admit that what I have read about them in your stories (while I read Mira's "So Few Things" a while ago, I'm afraid I don't remember anything about them there) interested me enough to want to know more about them and their stories--which is why I have most sternly, and publicly, talked myself away from it. Overall, with the occasional exceptions, I have found that it's usually best to just make up my own stuff as needed when it comes to fanon. Write my own songs, as it were.

[That and since I'm a Scandinavian-American cliche--in this respect at least--I find it nearly physically painful to ask for something, and will go a mile out of my way to avoid doing so.]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2023
  19. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    [face_laugh] [face_love] [face_batting]

I completely second everything @Chyntuck said! It would be awesome to see your take on the Forgotten, but I look forward to whatever you are ultimately inspired to write for such an awesome prompt! [:D]

Fantastic! I'll get that right in the index! [:D]

20. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
  21. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
  22. Pandora

Apr 13, 2005
  23. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 1999
  24. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    @Chyntuck I like to get number 1 from your the Islamic Architecture Roulette

25. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Hello @earlybird-obi-wan! Your pick is the Great Mosque of Djenné, Mali.

Possibly the largest mud brick building in the world, the Great Mosque of Djenné is a prime example of the Sudano-Sahelian architectural style. It was first built in the 13th century, although its current form dates only to the colonial era, and it is a constantly evolving structure due to the annual crépissage (plastering). Every year in April, the residents of the city get together to re-coat the outer walls with adobe over the course of a single day and thus protect the mosque from the elements during the rainy season. The entire town participates in the crépissage, whose purpose is the maintenance of the mosque but also a celebration of faith, history and community. Here is a picture, you can see a great photo gallery of the crépissage on the Bayt al-Fann website.

[​IMG]

@Kit' Awesome that you finished your story for the Island Challenge! I got you in the index, and I'll be heading over there to read and review asap.