main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Mirroring in The Last Jedi

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by 11-4D, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    I watched this movie about a dozen times and I never noticed that you can actually see the dead bodies of Luke's students.

This adds a lot to the impact that hit Luke on that moment. That is powerful, it for sure is the turning point where Luke wants this power to end.

Wow.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  2. MarcJordan

MarcJordan Force Ghost star 4

Nov 17, 2014
    May or may not be a mirroring, but just saying...

Rose: Look closer. My sister and I grew up in a poor mining system.The First Order stripped our ore to finance its military...
    then shelled us to test their weapons. They took everything we had. And who do you think these people are?.... .

Cassian: Suddenly the Rebellion is real for you? Some of us live it. I've been in this fight since I was 6 years old. You're not the only one who lost everything.

MJ

Shaak Ti likes this.
  3. Jamtia

Jamtia Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2016
    One mirroring I wanted to happen badly was to see Luke lift his X-Wing out of the water. We know he can do it, but it would have been great to see after he failed to do so in Empire. Could have came after his interaction with Yoda as well.

Could have flown off and landed somewhere realizing he couldn't get to his friends in time. The illusion could be pulled off that he's not really there. He just wouldn't be at the island, but maybe a distant planet.

whostheBossk likes this.
  4. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    When Rey sees Kylo for the first time. She blasts away at his image. Only putting a hole in the wall.
    After making a hole in the big wall, when Kylo sees Luke for the first time, he blasts away at his image. Only putting a big hole in the ground.

5. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    Not a direct mirroring but I enjoyed these moments of confidence.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

whostheBossk, Shaak Ti and MarcJordan like this.
  6. Ghost Ryder

Ghost Ryder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    Kylo: "You need a teacher! I can show you the ways of the Force."
    Luke: "You need a teacher. I can't teach you."

I wonder if this was part of Rey's thinking, another reason she wanted to learn from Luke, and another for her hostility toward Kylo.

Shaak Ti likes this.
  7. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    I think it's the reverse of that.

It's probably what comes to mind when she feels like she's making so little progress with Luke. Consider that Ben Solo wanted the saber and Luke tosses it aside. Similarly, Luke tells her that he's only seen her raw strength once before. In Ben Solo. It didn't scare him back then but does now. Which sets up when Ben Solo says, "He'd seen my power growing as he sees it in you and he feared it." She also wakes to see Luke looming over her prior to him telling her he'll teach her. Ben then tells the story of how he found Luke there with the saber on. All of these things combine to help her imagine being in Ben's shoes there at the temple, which helps her sympathize with him, which helps her think that "The one who may come back," who she previously thought had to be Luke (but whom Maz never confirmed was Luke) might actually be the guy who wanted the saber all along.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
    MarcJordan and Satipo like this.
  8. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    In RotJ, Lando has to insist to Admiral Ackbar "Yes! I said closer! Get as close as you can and engage those Star Destroyers at point blank range!"

In TLJ :

Poe: "We need to get out of range of those Star Destroyers."

Admiral Ackbar : "We need to what?!"

Leia: "Full engines ahead! Get out of range of the Star Destroyers... "

I threw my hands up in the air like a free t-shirt was going to be thrown at me when I realised that.

9. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    That's amazing. Ackbar was probably thinking, "This Poe guy gets it!" And also, "There must be a trap somewhere..." [face_laugh]

MarcJordan and Martoto77 like this.
  10. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    Wow. I think that's the best of the lot. I normally only get a tickle of amusement from most mirrors. But this one is just so crystalline and achingly simple, it takes the cake.

Says it all. Not that it necessarily speaks volumes. It just says precisely what it needs to.

Bravo.

TK327 likes this.
  11. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    Yeah, someone mentioned that earlier in the Rey thread and it clicked for me as an "Ah-ha" moment as well. I hadn't considered it before but I love it because that first moment on Jakku for me was always about more than the jacket in my mind. I took it more as a reflection of her street smarts from knowing that people around there don't typically get other people's clothes unless somebody died or was killed. So, her anger there for me was more that she immediately assumed BB8's master must have killed him.

And her quick initial judgment, aggression, willingness to strike, and eventual willingness to listen to the other side (as she had Finn) is definitely consistent with her character. Really nice parallel and callback by Johnson.

12. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    Here we go again.

It's almost the exact same expression of dread and fear in Kylo’s face immediately upon recognising Rey in that scene as when seeing Luke emerge from the dust after he's taken the mega barrage unharmed.

Right down to the sharp exhalation of breath.

Eternal_Jedi likes this.
  13. Ghost Ryder

Ghost Ryder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    @Ender_and_Bean What you described is all true, but I meant what Rey was perhaps thinking before the progress (or lack thereof), before feeling in a similar position as Ben did. She may have wanted to learn from Luke, in part, to avoid the alternative, the person who'd made an offer.

14. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    The "Join me" moment.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 21, 2018
  15. DarthWolvo23

DarthWolvo23 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 30, 2005
    There must be more of these please. I love them.

16. Bunai

Bunai Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 17, 2017
    Despite Rian's cutting, Finn and Kylo Ren still mirror each other by their choices, more so than Rey.

whostheBossk and 11-4D like this.