main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Misogyny, Entitlement, and Pop Culture

Discussion in 'Community' started by Heero_Yuy, May 29, 2014.

1. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Okay, so why was it "worth pointing out" that fangirls also like boobs in metal bras?

I was simply responding to, and agreeing with, Jello's post. I'm not even really sure why this debate got so heated. So they are scaling back on the slave Leia toys. Is this really something to be pissed off about? If so, why? I already said that I'm not personally offended by the outfit; I just think some more variety would be nice. I mean, for kids who are playing with the toys, it would make sense to have a rebel Leia to engage in battle play, a Hoth Leia for another scenario, etc. The most prominent options are Leia in the slave outfit, and Leia in the prisoner outfit. That's all I was saying.

2. Hogarth Wrightson

Hogarth Wrightson Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 2, 2015
    I agree more variety would be nice, and especially that kids should have costume options that don't include dressing up like a slave. I don't know who is pissed off that the manufacturer or Disney are scaling back slave Leia toys, but it isn't me. That's just one outfit among several; others should/could definitely see more exposure in the marketplace.

When I said "fangirls also like metal bikinis and boobs" I was thinking of my lady wife. It doesn't need to be important, I was just contributing an alternate viewpoint to a discussion that seemed centered on male enjoyment of the outfit. Some women like it also, was my tiny point amidst all the hub-bub. I'm just glad we avoided a fight, as I deeply respect your opinions, harpua.

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    From a toy perspective, it's a little like only having Han in carbonite figures. From marketing, it's weird that Star Wars doesn't market Leia in her Hoth and Endor Rebel uniforms as much -- warrior gear. From the perspective of a Leia fan, she has a lot of versatility in the films and it's a shame her cool soldier role isn't emphasized as much.

And FWIW I think that's exactly what Disney's thinking was. In the era of #WheresBlackWidow etc I think they want to emphasize Leia's role as part of the Big Three -- as a character kids can get into etc and not just eye candy for older male fans or something.

It's not censorship. It's not even an attack on the fanboys who like the outfit. It's just Disney /LFL making another positive move to recognize modern realities of the fandom and to be more welcoming/inclusive.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

4. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I'm still waiting for real-size replicas of the TPM handmaiden dresses...

5. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    You're welcome to join the Royal Handmaiden Society!

Pensivia likes this.
  6. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    ... for sale. Time is money, friend! :D

7. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    You lot are disgusting. Has anyone even mentioned Leia's Cloud City outfit, which is clearly her best one.

8. imperial_dork

imperial_dork Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2003
    Let's just take 'sexy' out of the equation (mild swear):

[​IMG]

9. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
  10. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I have a rare variant of that which is actually Luke.

11. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Jello, taking away a toy of a woman wearing a skimpy outfit under public pressure fits the definition of censorship perfectly.
    And from a toy perspective, it's like taking out only the Han in carbonite figure.

I don't care one way or the other - I don't collect toys or any other merchandise and I'm not interested in the slave outfit - but if Disney discontinues Slave Leia, the only reason is because Disney is always inclined to take rough edges off of anything because it will appeal to the masses more. No other reason. They're not progressing just because they're so righteous.
    And I couldn't call it progress, either - I'd sooner see it as a sign that we're entering another era of comparative primness to set off the previous era of comparative looseness, and it will revert, and happen again, and again.

12. Hogarth Wrightson

Hogarth Wrightson Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 2, 2015
  13. lovelikewinter

lovelikewinter Jedi Knight star 4

May 28, 2014
    Lets take a look at the recent figures offered by Hasbro of Leia.

Space Buns Leia and Han Solo mission series 2 pack
    Black Series 6" Boushh
    Black Series 4" Boushh
    Black Series 4" Ceremonial Leia (upcoming)
    Black Series Slave Leia in Jabba's Rancor pit set. (Toys R Us Exclusive)

Mission Series Space Buns Leia with Luke Stormtrooper
    Saga Legends Endor Leia

Black Series 6" Slave Leia
    Vintage Collection 4" Bespin Leia

So that's hardly all Slave Leia. There were two. One in a high priced set and one in the Black Series 6".

14. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    A business making a business decision is not censorship, and if you think it's censorship then this is the very definition of a first world problem.

And it's not about being "prim" -- speaking of righteousness. Nobody said it was scandalous or inappropriate.

I don't know why this is such a crisis. The costumes, posters, toys, etc. will all still be there. It's just that Disney is not going to emphasize it anymore. This is not the crisis of the 21st century that people are making it out to be.

15. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    lovelikewinter likes this.
  16. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    It's not a good thing that you think this.

17. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    sexillillexpialidocious

18. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I'd say those people are idiots.

The problem isn't the outfit. If Luke in Bacta Tank nappy was released no one would care. The figure isn't objectifying women, the people thinking women can't wear whatever they want are the problem. Clothes shaming is a thing, right?

19. lovelikewinter

lovelikewinter Jedi Knight star 4

May 28, 2014

So some idiot from New Jersey got on the news with this and thus alerted the Privileged White Women With Blogs and Tumblr Feminists who found something new to complain about.

The 6' Black Series is focused on the adult collector, with the appropriate for 4+ on the package as a safety warning saying that that the the minimum age a child should be so it doesn't choke on the small pieces and die. The crappy 5POA figures are for the kiddies and no Slave Leia there. Most collectors of Star Wars merch are male. So Hasbro is appealing to them, or attempting to.

Think whatever you want to think. But when you try and call people creepy and worse for something they think that is not illegal, its way too close to what happened to the gay community for me to ever be ok with it. Thought crime I know.

20. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Given who liked my post, I completely retract it and offer an unconditional apology. I clearly did not make my point coherently and for that I am sorry.

harpua likes this.
  21. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Yeah.... "privileged white women with blogs and tumblr feminists" is a totally appropriate thing to say in a thread about misogyny entitlement and nerds.

Know your audience, etc...

22. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    harps. Jesus. Always angry and with an opinion you insist on sharing.

Just be grateful someone is taking the time to explain this. Patiently, too, which is frankly more than the thread deserves.

23. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    Not just women, not just privileged women, but privileged white women - the very worst kind of privileged women. And they're using the internet to complain about trivial stuff! White women! It's disgusting. And certainly not a trivial thing to be complaining about on the internet. We have to protect the gays from feminism.

24. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Uh, I'm not angry... and yes, I will share my opinion. That's kind of the point of threads.

25. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Do some people get up in arms over things many others don't? Sure.

Listen carefully (in case I'm not too clear on my intent): I don't believe clothes shaming is appropriate. As a "in betweener feminist" my attitudes are shaped, and I am aware of that, that while it is perfectly fine for women to dress however they wish to, it's a bit head scratching to see how many women are embracing the very idea of dressing "sexy" when earlier feminists were fighting to not be reduced to such.

And while many women are making their own choice, some women are still bombarded with sexual imagery - heck, look at the recent "uproar" over the sexy cop costume for young girls vs cop costume for boys (I'm talking KIDS not adults here), Even adult women were bombarded with sexy choices more than not.

As far as censorship, I don't see it in this instance. No individual is being silenced. The market is responding to pressure - it's the nature of our economic system. If the customer decides a certain product needs to be revised, replaced, or eliminated - so be it. (Nor am I saying public pressure per se should always be the guiding aim).