main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Moments or Movie

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Jid123Sheeve, Mar 11, 2020.

?

What do you value from Star Wars movies more, the movie on the whole, or the moments within it.

1. Moments

30.4%
  2. Movie

69.6%
  1. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Wasn't sure were to put this question but this was based off an old tweet around the time Rise of Skywalker came out and that is this....How do you personally experience a Star Wars film, what do you value more.

The moments in the movie.

Or the movie as a whole.

Now I know what you may be thinking, well shouldn't the movie as a whole work, and obviously, that is what we all hope. But I've noticed at least for myself, I value the moments of Star Wars, far more then I really do the movie as a whole.

Return of the Jedi is my favorite Star Wars film, but as a whole, I don't think the Movie is completely up to snuff, HOWEVER Return of the Jedi has my favorite MOMENTS in all of Star Wars. The Throne Room scene, the Space battle over Endor...That's pretty much it. Those moments make Episode 6 my favorite Star Wars film of all time, I remember those moments and they stick with me.

A Star Wars film could stink for 99% of it, but I think (At least for myself) that so long as it has one moment....One single moment that just hits me in all the right places, then honestly it could become my favorite Star Wars film of all time because of it.

So, what do you guys value more the Moments in the Movie, or the Movie on it's own.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2020
  2. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Good question. Depends on the film. For me, ROTS, ESB, and TPM are all great films as a whole. ROTJ, I dont like as a movie, but the last 20 minutes are fantastic in closing Anakin's story arc. TFA and TROS are both films I have trouble with. I think TFA is a better made film, but there are more individual scenes from TROS I want to see than anything in TFA.

3. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    yeah depends on the film for me too.

AOTC, ROTJ, TFA and ANH

would probably be the examples of movies in the saga I enjoy as a whole.

4. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    Ive only recently decided that moments make me more likely to rewatch a movie.

Particularly good moments can significantly bring a movie up for me (Luke vs Vader) or down (lightsaber over shoulder).

devilinthedetails likes this.
  5. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Good question. I suppose for me it is the moments I value most since it seems to be the moments I remember most. Like in ROTS, my favorite Star Wars movie, I remember moments like "you were my brother, Anakin" and Obi-Wan and Anakin saying good-bye before Obi-Wan goes off to hunt General Grevious. Also moments like when Padme tells Anakin she is pregnant after they embrace.

6. Bee Bee

Bee Bee Jedi Master star 3

Dec 23, 2015
    Good thing ESB has my favorite moments and is my favorite movie!
    But to answer the question - if I'm going to invest time into re-watching a whole movie then it better be enjoyable / captivating at least most of the way through. If I only want to see specific scenes I can watch them on YT anyways. I must have watched the throne room scene from ROTJ at least a dozen times but I rarely go back to watch that whole movie because large chunks of it can be a real slog.

Darth Chuck Norris likes this.
  7. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

This pretty much summarizes how I enjoy 99% of most movies, even movies I love I rarely wanna go back and watch the whole thing. To much work and effort.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2020
    IlhamKamaruddin likes this.
  8. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Both. On top of that, its also my favorite saga, sequel, prequel and everything else. :cool:

Deliveranze likes this.
  9. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    I prefer to watch full movies, even if I am rewatching them. In the case of Star Wars, I always watch them from beginning to end (avoiding any interruption if I can), and I tend to stay away from watching clips on YT.

I think individual moments tend to work much better when watchen in full context, whereas if you watch the same scene out of context on a random YT clip it doesn't have as much impact.

Sarge and Valiowk like this.
  10. SmokeMonster4815162342

SmokeMonster4815162342 Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2015
    IMO, the SW movies...structurally, dramatically, are all...okay. None of them are gonna win Best Picture at the Oscars.

It's the special moments, the imagination, that elevates it to the franchise and universe we love today.

For me, this is why I'm not that attached to a lot of MCU movies, because while they're doing everything right (generally speaking), and nothing's so obviously broken as say a "Martha" scene, they also rarely have the high highs, the "moments" that sink their teeth in you...forever. I'll take a movie with high highs and low lows, rather than something 'flawless' but unexceptional.

That all being said, what's most important to me for the Skywalker saga, is not Moments, nor Movie, but rather -- Trilogy or Saga, the overall story.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
    Beautiful_Disaster likes this.
  11. Beautiful_Disaster

Beautiful_Disaster Force Ghost star 4

May 12, 2005
    It depends for me. Episodes 1-6 I love as a whole. Sure I have favorite moments, but I watch them each as a whole.
    Episodes 7-9, there are certain moments I enjoy, but as a whole, I can't say I enjoy them as much.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
  12. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    Overall the movie as a whole but there are some scenes that will always stand out in my favorite movies.

In Star Wars the story always comes first for me. I love 1-6 as a whole saga.

7-9 doesn't add emotionally satisfying cohesive moments/info to the overall story so there's nothing in them for me.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
  13. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    For the lesser movies on my list it’s more about the moments. The opposite is true for the films I really enjoy.

14. cratylus

cratylus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 9, 2001
    Star Wars is in a category of rewatching that might not really have any peers for me. I suppose The Wizard of Oz and The Sound of Music had this property in my family--we'd watch them every year when they came on the network. They're films one comes to know, and you watch them anticipating certain scenes.

For me Star Wars is kind of like the Iliad and Odyssey were to ancient Greeks. I know these movies by heart. I watch them like listening to familiar music, enjoying them periodically and then putting them away. I can't think of any other movie I'd watch like this, not anywhere near the frequency. Really Star Wars isn't a series of movies to me, it's like a special different genre or medium or thing; I don't know what to call it. very special.

If it's a question of scenes versus the entire sweep of the film, I'd say that the whole movie engages me in every case, but I am drawn most to certain special sequences.

Valiowk, oierem and lovethedarkside like this.