main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Most and least well made films of the saga?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by DBPirate, Apr 6, 2019.

1. Jo Lucas

Jo Lucas Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2015
    Best: Rogue
    Worst: Return of the Jedi

I'm curious. The Force Awakens is a big hollywood blockbuster, why do you think it's the least well made?

heels1785 likes this.
  2. rpeugh

rpeugh Force Ghost star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    Best: TESB
    Worst: TFA

Note: I have not seen Rogue One, Solo, or TLJ so I cannot speak for those films.

3. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Best: ESB
    Worst: TLJ

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  4. rpeugh

rpeugh Force Ghost star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    For me the pacing is abysmal. That is my biggest objective complaint with it. Its just action packed scene after action packed scene. No room for reflection or characterization. As a result everything feels tacked on. No room for any kind of tension or buildup - like with the attack on the super weapon at the end of the movie, for example. At the beginning of the movie the story is about finding Luke Skywalker, then all of a sudden it becomes about destroying the super weapon. The story just feels like a real mess. It makes ROTJ feel like a 100% cohesive whole movie that stands on its own. The scenes aren't staged with any kind of operatic feel. Because the movie is chock full of action scenes it is a very loud movie throughout , which takes away your perception of what is loud. And this might be more of a subjective complaint, but I HATE, HATE, Abrams' ultra tight camera angles. It keeps you from experiencing and immersing yourself in the environments.

5. Jo Lucas

Jo Lucas Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2015
    But the special effetcs are excellent. I see your complaints are mostly regarding script.

Last edited: May 2, 2019
  6. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    The special effects are excellent in every Star Wars movie, though.

7. Best:ROTS
    Worst:TLJ

8. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    What does being a big blockbuster have to do with being well-made?

Sith Lord 2015, Jesta' and ezekiel22x like this.
  9. Jesta'

Jesta' Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 25, 2017
    This is exactly how I feel. TPM was (and still is IMHO) the best looking Star Wars film.

Last edited: May 8, 2019
  10. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    The Saga has some weird jumps in terms of visuals. Like I said above, I think TLJ is the best and AotC is the worst. But I think that TPM looks pretty great for the most part. Same with RotS. I feel similarly about the OT, with ANH and ESB looking pretty great and RotJ looking... less so. I like both TFA and TLJ, but maybe RoS will end up following a similar trend and end up nosediving.

11. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    Almost completely agree, although ESB is a bit more tightly constructed than TLJ.

12. Jesta'

Jan 25, 2017
    AOTC looks pretty good. Easily better than anything Disney will very produce. You must take a strong liking to the color red, otherwise you wouldn't say TLJ looks the best.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeu1_sgd1Ac&t

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  13. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    I think that AotC has an extreme overuse or CGI. There are places where it looks OK, like in the opening sequence on Coruscant, but then we have the Droid Factory and the Arena where it's more of a detriment. Entire scenes are just actors flailing around in the middle of green rooms with nothing to give them feedback, and I think it shows. That sucks too, because I think TPM actually strikes a really good balance, as does ROTS. Those movies hold up visually for the most part. But apart from some standouts, like the Obi-Wan v Jango in the asteroid belt, i can't say the same for AOTC.

In contrast, every shot in TLJ feels... meticulous? I think that's a good word for it. Practical and CGI components are blended incredibly well, there's a great variety of visually interesting locations, and each shot has fantastic composition.

14. Jesta'

Jan 25, 2017
    Uninspired is the word your looking for.

15. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    Look, if you want to have a discussion about the different visuals and why I think one is superior, i'd love to. But you're better than this low effort one sentence pedantic crap, and I don't have to sit here and deal with it because you're having an off day.

heels1785 likes this.
  16. Jesta'

Jan 25, 2017
    When a movie either rehashes every OT design it can and uses the most generic Alien when trying something new, I don't think it deserves more than "this low effort one sentence pedantic crap".

wobbits and Sith Lord 2015 like this.
  17. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Okay stick to discussing which films you think are the most and least well made and why....no bashing, no personal attacks, and no attempts to put words into other people's mouths. This goes for everyone.

@anakinfansince1983 @Bazinga'd

18. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    EDIT: Ninja’d . :)

19. Jesta'

Jan 25, 2017
    TLJ by far has the least inspired alien and set design I've seen in a Star Wars movie, it's not memorable in the least. TFA, on the other hand, has some redeeming qualities.

darkspine10 likes this.
  20. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Most well-made... probably TESB. That film is basically flawless in terms of effects, cinematography, editing and music. Sure, some effects are dated (like the tauntauns), but that's inevitable. For its time, it's better than anything. Runners-up would be TPM and Rogue One.

Least well-made; AOTC. The early-generation digital cameras makes it look plastic-y and weirdly cheap. The sets and miniatures don't look great, as the cameras are too sharp compared to film, and prop makers and set designers weren't experienced with that sort of sharpness back then. And the CGI wasn't the greatest even for its time. The pacing and editing is also a bit uninspired at times. The music's fantastic though, and it has individual scenes that are really well-made, but unfortunately those scenes highlights the flaws in the rest of the film.
    Runner-up is ROTJ (pacing is awkward at times, music is the weakest of the OT IMO, and a lot of the effects - especially the matte paintings - are quite bad).

Now, I think overall the movies are all incredibly well-made, and I like all of them (ROTJ, that I called the second least well-made is in my top three favorite SW movies).

21. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    I couldn't have put this any better. TLJ took away any interest in the story post ROTJ that I ever had. To me, the story matters more than the special effects or new ships and planets.

The opening battle is one of my favorite sequences in the entire saga. ROTS for me is the best because of the emotions in the story and its ability to pull me in and make me wish things turned out differently despite knowing what's eventually coming.

Last edited: May 19, 2019
  22. CLee

CLee Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 18, 2017
    I haven't seen the Disney films.

Best I think ANH, especially the focus on Luke and OTOH the menace of the Empire and the Death Star, making both the fantasy and sci-fi and how they mixed strongly believable and exciting and having great relationships and interactions between the big three. TESB is also great but a little too dark, unendingly.

Worst, though I like it a little better than TPM, I think AotC. Anakin is far too different than before with too minimal explanation, he and Padme and their relationship are at best OK while a lot of viewers consider them unappealing or bad, a lot of the special effects and action scenes feel at least excessive, you could not have them or have them one-fifth of the time with no harm or an improvement (in particular the asteroid chase scene feels far too long and the factory scene way too thrown-in, also not fond of the Yoda lightsaber fight also feels too thrown-in and undermining the previous fight between the antagonist and actual heroes of the film).

Sarge and christophero30 like this.
  23. Anakin's Daddy

Anakin's Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Aug 13, 2002
    Best: TESB and ROTS

Worst: TLJ ant ROTJ

24. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    I know this is the most uninteresting take possible, but I just saw the original trilogy in theaters. While I was never in the camp that Empire was unequivocally the best, the movie had an understated pacing that had me interested all the way through (not to mention the middle of a marathon). Meanwhile, it generally had the best effects of the OT that overall aged gracefully (ROTJ contains some more impressive sequences, but also some that are noticeably aged, so it's a toss-up). Empire made the most of its blockbuster budget and really took the series in brave new directions that would define it indefinitely.

Worst? That's tough to say because even in the Disney era of troubled production, the finished product rarely reflects that. Plus, it's not just about personal enjoyment, but what can be backed up by what's onscreen. To that, I'll say ROTJ and AOTC leave a lot of scenes that require more exploration and show evidence of drastic change during production. So for the sake of having a tie breaker, AOTC loses points for some quick CGI fixes that are unfortunately aged.

heels1785 , Sarge and christophero30 like this.
  25. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Not entirely sure what this means, but if this is a veiled attempted to bash the ST, then stop.

@anakinfansince1983 @cubman987