main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Music in Star Wars

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Azeria_Jade, Jul 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Azeria_Jade

Azeria_Jade Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 3, 2001
    I've been at band camp the past two weeks and during the final concert a thought struck me, 'what is music really like in Star Wars?' The only sourcethat I know of that addresses that sort of thing is the short story "We Don't Do Weddings: The Band's Tale" by Kathy Tyers. It's in the "Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina" book.

This is what I know.

Music Styles:
    I'm assuming that jizz is the Star Wars form of jazz. Further proof of this is the song "Cantina Band" from "A New Hope" played by Figrin D'an and the Modal Nodes.

Instruments:
    - The Dorenian Beshinquel (or Fizz) is a double reed instrument.
    - Kloo Horn is a large double reed instrument.
    - Something called a Fanfar, and if this jizz band is anything like jazz band on Earth, I'm assuming this is a brass-like instrument.
    - Bandfill something with 'horn bells' on it. I'm guessing it's a percussion type.
    - Ommni Box a sound control type thing.

How The Music Is Played:
    - Refer to our chord/scale methods, e.g. E flat
    - Refernces to bars and off-beats

I'm asking about this for a fanfiction, and I know this is the place to learn.

2. Ty-gon Jinn

Ty-gon Jinn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 12, 2000
    I have music in my latest fanfiction, but it wasn't played live, it was on a recording, so I used descriptions like "the rich operatic music swelled to a grand climax" without really concentrating on the instrumental aspect... I guess I could have, but instead, I made up lyrics in an alien language that I then translated.

Supposedly, it's a Fuzzum operetta entitled "Yotu llana nos tolu," "The Man Who Holds the Stars."

3. zeekveerko

zeekveerko Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    make up your own instruments, or variants of "earth" instruments, if your story is about musicians. combine instruments that aren't related into one strange music-making device.
    don't write too much about chord progressions and tempos unless your target audience is musicians. :D

okay, well, those are my suggestions.

4. jodiwent

jodiwent Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2000
    There is a Corellian Opera with some big long Germanic sounding name mentioned in book "The Courtship of Princess Liea".

5. Jedi_Wurth_Skidder

Jedi_Wurth_Skidder Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 7, 2002
    This one time at band camp, I wondered about the different kinds of Star Wars music :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.