main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [NERRRD] Observations, rhetorical questions, comments & 55 Years of Star Trek (General Thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  2. K2771991

K2771991 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 21, 2019
    Alright, here's that list of ship's with non Anglo-American/non-Earth names that I talked about last night - or, rather, a list of whatever ships I could think of that fit that criteria, lol:D

For the sake of keeping things simple I'm not going to include A: ships with native American names (Lakota, Crazy Horse) B: ships with non-Anglo-American names that are probobly named after Anglo-American ships/objects (Apollo, Bellerophon) or ships named after random non-planet/planetoid steller phenomanon (Nova, Nebula). I also won't list multipule ships named after the same thing unless their name is slightly different (and no, by that I don't mean a blood A, B, C or D:p), nor will I bother with shuttles or runabouts.

Russian/Soviet
    USS Zhukov - Soviet Field Marshal and major allied command of the Second World War.
    USS Korolev - Ukrainian rocket scientist and father of the Soviet Space Program.
    USS (Yuri?) Gagarin - Soviet cosmonaut and first man in space.
    USS Yuri Gagarin - same as the above.
    USS Buran - Soviet space shuttle. Never flew in the real world but may have ended up flying in the Trekverse give that it's apparently of enough historical note to name two after it ships.
    USS Tolstoy - Late-19th Century Russian poet and nobleman.
    USS Potemkin - either Gregori Potemkin, Russian nobleman, statesman, military leader and court favorite of Catherine the Great, or his namesake battleship (or both).
    SS Tsiolkovsky (not a starfleet ship if her registry is anything to go by, but clearly carried at least some Starfleet personel) - Russian rocket scientist.
    USS Chekov - some putz with Davy Jones hair.
    Western European
    USS Oberth - German rocket scientist of Austro-Hungarian birth.
    USS Berlin - capital city of Germany.
    USS Magellan - Portugese explorer.
    USS Entente - the alliance between Britian and France formed in the years prior to WW1.
    Eastern Europe/Balkans/Greece
    USS Hera - Greek goddess.
    USS Adelphi - Greek word for "brother."
    Hermes-class - Greek god (might also be named for a French spacecraft, which was never built IRL but may have been in the Trekverse).
    USS Constantinople - the Greek name for the city of Istanbul - an interesting choice; does that mean the Greeks regained the city at some point in the history of the Star Trek world? (maybe during/after WWIII?)
    Serajevo (a United Earth ship, not a Federation one, and possibly not even Starfleet, but whatever) - the capital city of Bosnia and Herzegovina, but in the Trekverse might still be a city in Yugoslavia, as Reed refers to "Serbo-Croatians" in Shuttlepod One and that termanology went out of use when the SFRY broke up.
    Chinese
    USS Shenzhou - manned Chinese spacecraft.
    USS Tian An Man (which I forgot about last night) - Tiananmen Square.
    USS Zheng He - Chinese explorer and naval officer of the Ming Dynasty, who may or may not have visisted America (and who may or may not have been compesating for the fact that he was a Eunach with his giant ships:p).
    Japanese
    USS Yamato - Japanese battleship of the Second World War - concidentaly the flagship of the Japanese fleet at the Battle of Midway, were her sister-ship's namesake, the USS Enterprise CV-6 fought on the opposite side.
    USS Yamaguchi - city and prefecture in Japan.
    USS Kyushu - third largest island in the Japanese archipelago.
    Arabic
    USS Al-Batani - 9th Century Arab astronomer.
    USS Ibn-Majid - Arab navigator who helped Vasco de Gama sail from Africa to India.
    Saladin-class - Egyptian sultan and warrior-king of Kurdish background who fought the crusaders.
    Non-Earth
    USS Sitak - a Vulcan admiral (who was still alive and on active duty when this ship was in service, weirdly enough).
    USS ShirKahr - the capital city of Vulcan.
    USS T'Plana-Hath - either named for the "Matron of Vulcan Philosophy," the scout ship that made first contact with Earth or both.
    USS Shran - Thy'lek Shran, obviously.
    USS Gorkon - Klingon chancellor.
    uncertain
    Miranda-class - probobly named for the character in the Tempest, but might be named for the moon of Uranus. Probobly not named for Miranda Hart, though:D
    USS Hathaway - probobly Anne Hathaway, the wife of William Shakespear, but maybe some random famous fictional person in the Trekverse instead. Possibly (but probobly not) Anne Hathaway the actress or Noah Hataway the actor:p
    USS Lantree - I actually can't figure this one out, as the only person of note I can think of with that name is Honey Lantree the drummer, and unless the Honeycombs were way more sucessful in the Trekverse then they were IRL I doubt that's it.
    Akira-class - it's Japanese, but I can't think of what it's named after in-universe (it's the 1988 cyberpunk film out-of-universe, of course). Akira Kurosaga? Akira Sasaki? Akira Yamamoto? Asa Akira? The Chef from The Simpsons?
    USS T'Kumbra - a Vulcan name, presumably, but I don't think we're ever given any context as to what/who it refers to.

That's just the ones I could think of, at least; I know there are almost certainly a fair number that I missed.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
  3. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    It's an Istanbul-class ship, and most likely (as implied by the Star Trek Encyclopedia entry) a joking reference to the They Might Be Giants' cover of the novelty song "Istanbul (Not Constantinople)".
    In-universe, I would suppose there's also an Istanbul-class USS Byzantium.

4. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Ships have been named after artists, no? Maybe the Akira-class could be named after Kurosawa? (But then, if there is going to be an in-universe film reference, you might as well just stick with the anime film proper, or make it connected to Gary what’s his name from TOS WNMHGB, who also had fast evolving mind powers).

Also, small point of correction: the Buran did fly- but only once, and that launch/landing was unmanned.

Since there are lingering references to the USSR in TOS & TNG due to the time in which they were produced, it’s quite possible that the USSR did reform or linger in some form in Trek’s fictional history of the 90’s and beyond (Khan, WWIII, etc), which would allow for the possibility that the Buran program continued to fly in that version of history.

Juliet316 , Sarge and Iron_lord like this.
  6. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    Along with the USS Lygos, the USS Augusta Antonina, the USS Nova Roma, the USS Payitaht, the USS Kushtandina, the USS Tsargrad and the USS Wulumu:p

It could also just be some in-universe, fictional person - a Japanese politican or astronaut, or a Starfleet officer/Federation official - maybe even a planet.

Yes, your right:oops:. I was conflating her with the Ptichka.

My headcannon has always been that it sucessfully reformed into the Union of Soviet Sovereign Republics as it almost did in '91, as this would allow for both Rain Robinson's "the USSR broke up five years ago!" statement in Future's End and the references to the USSR in the earlier shows (specificly The Naked Now, where the Tsiolkovsky 's dedication plaque says it was luanched from Baikonur Cosmodrome "in the USSR."

Juliet316 , Gamiel and blackmyron like this.
  7. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
  8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Such concern!

K2771991 likes this.
  9. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    "Oh my goowWD!"

You know, it's funny becuase I was just talking about this with my roomate the other day as we were watching TNG, but I've never been able to figure out if I find Marina's accent (the real one, not the exaggerated one she uses for Troi) to be sultry or annoying.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
  10. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    The shot of Worf in Engineering immediately afterwards with the "intake version" makes him look even more ticked off than usual cuz he just walked facefirst into a turbolift.

11. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Sarge likes this.
  12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I can understand why he'd be attached to it- and enough people seem to like that one. They almost did a prequel to it on ENT.

K2771991 likes this.
  13. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Se, I thought Tarantino would be quite capable of delivering a space exploration/battle/character film with great dialogue. Instead he was indeed going for what others called it, Pulp Fiction in space.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Going by these articles, that was what appealed about his proposal- it wouldn't require a large budget for FX since it would be mostly planet-based and "period".

15. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    What do they call a quarter pounder with cheese on the moons of Iago? :p

VadersLaMent and K2771991 like this.
  16. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    A Lagolas.

K2771991 and Princess_Tina like this.
  17. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    You say that like it's a bad thing:)

Ironicly I'm pretty sure that was what appealed about the proposal for the original episode (along with the proposals for all the other "ship visits planet were we can just shoot on the backlot and use regular clothing and costumes left over from other films and shows" episodes).

"What ain't no planet I've ever heard of! They speak Federation Standard on What?"

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
  18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    "No, they use a universal translator."
    "I DON'T REMEMBER ASKING YOU A WORMHOLE ALIEN-DAMNED THING!"

19. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    In case any of you haven't seen it, this Star Trek total conversion mod for the game Stellaris is very good. It's basically a Civilization game, but for Star Trek. I've been playing it for a few weeks and it's an absolute blast. Lots of cool details to make the galaxy come alive, and they added a lot of narrative mechanics as well to give it story. It's called Star Trek: New Horizons. There are 89 different civilizations/factions you can play as, each with unique characteristics.

Here's the current state of the Alpha and Beta Quadrants in my Earth/Federation game. This is about 40 years after the Xindi crisis, Federation was founded about 30 years ago by Earth, Vulcan and Andoria. Betazoids and Benzites joined recently, working on the Trill atm.
    [​IMG]

Here's the 2nd Fleet guarding the Bassen Rift, the Federation's border with the Romulan Star Empire:
    [​IMG]

Here's the ship designer system. You can get pretty detailed with the customization:
    [​IMG]

My pc is pretty old so graphics are at lowest setting.

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    When I next get a gaming PC, Stellaris is definitely on my to-do list. All the fun folks were having in the Lit social thread with that a couple years ago really sold me on it (and then the game added B5-like endgame scenarios which made it a lock). Will have to check out the Trek mod for it as well.

21. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I would totally watch a Piece of the Action adaption movie although maybe Tarantino big idea was just "Do a movie of piece of the action!" Hollywood Reporter said The Hawley movie is apparently new cast and about a virus, I dig anything Hawley but I would love to see the Kelvin timeline crew again if only because the casting is too perfect. So it may turn out that the next movie will wind back to being the George Kirk and Jim Kirk Hemsworth and Pine movie we would have gotten after Beyond anyway.

K2771991 and Iron_lord like this.
  22. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    As much as I was on for Trekentino, I was also always a bit surprised that Tarentino wanted to do Trek in the first place. I’d be interested in seeing him do sci-fi, but I found it a bit odd that he want to do a corporate legacy franchise, having said that, I’m not surprised in the slightest that he wanted to do space gangsters. I would have loved to see his take on A Piece of the Action.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
    K2771991 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  23. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    The Tarantino spin on the Fitzbin scene would have been intense. This random guess but maybe it would have gotten the R rating by really pushing in on how brutal a society of 100 years of 1920s gangsters would have been. Probably some redshirt would have gotten cement galoshes in a very crazy scene.

K2771991 and Chancellor_Ewok like this.
  24. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Possibly. Or maybe the away team gets mixed up in a really violent mafia hit, or there’s a really intense torture scene involving a Bat’leth, like the scene with the samurai sword in Pulp Fiction.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  25. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    I've recently started a game in Stellaris with a max size galaxy filled with varius factions from across sci-fi that I all made myself using multipule different mods. Got off to a good start as the United Federation of Planets with the Union of Allied Planets right next door and all buddy-buddy with me, but then we got boxed in by the Hutt Cartel, the Zerg Swarm, the Chiss Ascendancy, the Galactic Empire and a particularly large and xenophobic Protoss Empire and the UAP stabbed me in the back to form a federation with...the Borg Collective and the Goa'uld, of all peaple...

My only allies are the Asari Republics and the Confederacy of Independent Systems, neither of whom I share a border, and until I get the three mass releys in my space open the only possible way out my little corner is through a wormhole right over the border in the Imperial Space, which based on the scout ship I saw flying around a bit belongs to the Peaple's Republic of Haven.

[​IMG]
    "Am I a joke to you?"

Aww, look at the little Federation. It's so cute[face_batting]. That tiny little Klingon Empire that probobly is'nt going survive very long is adorable as well. It's like two little kittens surrounded by vicious wolves.

It does'nt actually look that bad, honestly.

A Piece of the Action, Patterns of Force and Bread and Citrus trilogy[face_laugh]

Sarge, Juliet316 and BigAl6ft6 like this.