main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series New animated series CONFIRMED Fall 2014: Star Wars Rebels!

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by rezpen, May 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wonderllama

Wonderllama Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 1, 2013
    I-Five needs to be a main character in this show. I would squeal and giggle like a little girl

2. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    http://starwars.com/watch/front-runners-featurette.html

I'd recommend watching this video, as Filoni goes to some effort in explaining the manner in which, according to George Lucas' vision, Onderon sows the seeds of what would ultimately become the Alliance to Restore the Republic. I think this video, while interesting at the time, becomes absolutely fascinating in light of the new announcement. It seems to offer us a glimpse of what's to come in Rebels.

TheRevanchist likes this.
  3. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    Indeed groundwork laid.

TreborSabreon likes this.
  4. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    Given how much TCW liked to just demolish Michael Reaves' work, I'm very much hoping for that not to happen.

5. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    /internet

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  6. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013
    As a sucker for (and writer of) noir, I cannot help but love Coruscant Nights. But as much as I'd love to see a reference to it, a consistent show couldn't really pull that off, since the whole point is for it all to exist under a cloud of noir. Same with Jahan Cross from Agent of the Empire; it's cool stuff, but without a Bond vibe, what's the point?

07jonesj likes this.
  7. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    Ha ha, this is true. I want to say I'm proud to be a fan since 1977, and I am a fan of TCW (and everything in between).

I think there may also be two BIG segments of fans:

"Lucas is the MAKER! I only liked SW when it came from him!!"

"Lucas ruined Star Wars! SW is much better under Disney!!!!!!"

I have to admit I'm a die hard Lucas supporter and so far I'm not too thrilled with all the new news. I just am leery of SW WITHOUT Lucas...

DarthKreVass likes this.
  8. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    I don't think that's necessarily true. While, yes, people tend to like what they grow up with, I'd like to think that people have a bit more objectivity. Frankly, I don't care about someone's opinion if it doesn't contain that much needed trait.

In my case, I grew up with the New Republic/NJO EU and PT, but I find the OT to be more satisfying than the PT, and can very easily acknowledge that some of the worst SW available is present within the EU.

I happen to dislike the microseries, and enjoy TCW 2008, even though I can plainly see it has fallen into a few potholes in it's five-year run.

A world where everyone's opinion was so cut-and-dry to when they grew up would be a boring one, and not a very interesting one for discussion or debates.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  9. Lord Optimus

Lord Optimus Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 30, 2011
    They could show Porkins ongoing battle with obesity.

darklordoftech likes this.
  10. agentkrycek

agentkrycek Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 4, 2012
    I want to see:

- BADASS Darth Vader

- Appearances by Palpatine, Obi-Wan and Princess Leia

- Bail Organa, Mon Mothma, Tarkin and Wedge Antilles all being prominant characters, along with appearances by Crix Madine, Dodonna, Riekan and Ackbar

- Following up on the fates of Captain Rex, Asajj Ventress, Aurra Sing, Cad Bane, Hondo, Darth Maul, Mother Talzin and Bo-Katan

- Fates of PT characters like Panaka, Typho, Mas Amedda etc.

- Preferably no Starkiller or Mara Jade. I'll make an exception for Ahsoka if it leads to her execution at Vader's hands. I'm just not a big fan of "writers pet" characters.

11. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Starkiller will probably be in it.

Seems like a kiddy version of the planned live-action Underworld TV series.

12. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Rhett, Mandalore Maul, Tano, Das, Vos, Kenobi & young Luke on Tatooine... if three years got us over a hundred eppys and a condensed ending, just think... Dark Times could give us a thousand.

13. Darth Scourge

Darth Scourge Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 4, 2000
    The fact that they're referencing Ralph McQuarrie's concept art so heavily has me very excited about this.

themetresgained and DarthKreVass like this.
  14. Mzukiller

Mzukiller Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 5, 2012
    You see that's the problem: Ahsoka is just a padawan. She shouldn't be super wise and skilled.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  15. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    You know considering the title of this series "Rebels" unless the founding date will be retconned, this show will only span a couple of years before ANH

16. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    By the Goddess, no.

TCW was brilliant, but there was very clearly filler in every season. This time, the writers should have a rough idea of where the show will end up, and work towards that. Whether that takes three or five seasons doesn't matter, as long as they cut the damn filler!

17. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Since the title is "Rebels" and not "Rebel Alliance" it could be set at any time between ROTS and ANH. I'd imagine there would have been more than one rebellion over a 20 year period.

TreborSabreon and Apophis_ like this.
  18. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    We might finally be able to learn the fate of Maul and Talzin :D

Huyang likes this.
  19. darkchrono

darkchrono Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005
    Yes most things generally 'evolve' into what they end up being in the end. They practically never start out that way. The Star wars Rebellion will most likely be the same way and the people that have created the universe have also hinted that it will be this way.

TreborSabreon likes this.
  20. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Maul's ultimate fate won't be determined until Episode IX, when Luke kills him once and for all.

Talzin will just transform into the force green mist.

21. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013
    Being so bound to constraints like this don't really make sense to me. Star Wars isn't Dragonball Z; characters don't have preset power levels. If the writers thought this way, I guarantee this show would suck. Strictly quantifying the abilities of characters to have these specific limits would mean they had no imagination whatsoever. A character eventually doesn't fit the same parameters on which they enter, because of a little thing called character growth, and seeing as we don't have hive-mind, it would be impossible to fully agree on where the limits of character growth are, so you ultimately have to cave to the fact that it's wherever the writers say it is. It's the same when people say, "NO 16-YR-ULDZ WD BE COMMANDURRZ IN WAR!" Well, sorry, because in Star Wars: apparently they would! If those are the limits of your suspension of disbelief, maybe sci-fi/fantasy/space opera isn't the genre for you after all. If anybody wants ultra-realism, there are plenty of great, classic films set on Earth that I could recommend (and I'm only half-kidding... I really think some fans' appreciation could be all the more full with a little broader film education).

Disclaimer: If you notice my actual words, you'll see that this isn't "love for Ahsoka" influencing my reasoning... it's just basic storytelling acumen.

22. Darth_Harmon

Darth_Harmon Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2005
    I want to see Vader without his mask on, and it is a repurposed TCW Anakin all scarred and burned.

23. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    Yes! I can't be happier with the approach they're taking here. =D= They get to explore any of the interesting leftover threads from TCW they choose like Ventress and Ahsoka, while really getting more interesting with a new era --let's face it, the Clone Wars themselves as a galactic event were pretty much fully explored. We get to see the Empire's beginnings, the birth of pockets of resistance all over the galaxy, and return of favorite characters like Tarkin or Obi-wan.

For those who think this is disconnected from TCW, I think that's short-sighted. Looking back at Season 5, the Onderon arc was really the genesis of this new series. Regardless if you like the way that was told on the show, the concept was a launching point for the new series, and I'm betting the unused Season 6/7/8 TCW ideas on the Rebellion will be repurposed for the new show. Ahsoka as a supporting character for a planetary rebellion as she was on Onderon could be her role in the new series.

Also, i'm betting we'll return to Mandalore and see how the Empire is setting up shop there now. We'll follow Bo Katan's resistance against the new Order. She is yet another form of "Rebel." Perhaps the show is not "Rebel Alliance" as they are not currently allied, but there are many different forms of Rebels all over the galaxy.

What is Greg Weisman's role? Filoni is head of animation, and after reading up on his resume, it looks like Weisman is a writer. So we have a solid backbone there. I'm guessing Kinberg is there to further beef up the writing department, but on a more general level since he's working on the films. The spinoff films he is working on could connect to the series.

Finally, I'd like the animation to have a connection to TCW style to give it the cohesiveness of one continuing Star Wars story. Hearing Filoni talk about turning McQuarrie's "Space paintings" into fully fleshed out CG dynamic depictions gives me the hope that they are continuing in the great CGI style they began on TCW.

24. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    The fact this is debuting before Ep VII should indicate several characters will be introduced, who will probably appear in the ST. If they do lay the seeds, it will be very interesting

25. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Exactly. And just because a story is sci-fi/fantasy doesn't mean it shouldn't make sense. There is nothing about Ahsoka developing more Mad Skillz than her own Master and the Jedi Council members, much less becoming more mature than her adult Master, that makes sense from any storytelling perspective other than the "let me tell you how awesome my pet character is" perspective.

The attempts at politically-correct ways of saying "there must be something wrong with you/you must be stupid and need to be 'educated' if you don't like Ahsoka" are amusing though.

What happened to difference in taste or the idea that her character arc just did not work for some of us? I might be interested in "learning to like Ahsoka" if I actually thought there were something wrong with disliking her. But I don't.

Mzukiller likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.